• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to be absolutely clear on what has been done to the mod in the last 6 weeks or so. This is taken directly from the changelog in the game folders, but I'll expand where I think it is necessary to make things clear:

REMEMBER, the mod was almost unplayable, with crashing happening all the time, and that was if you could even load the game up from the start...

September 2012
Extensive code fixes done by novapaddy to get the mod working properly and not crashing any more.
This was done by going back to an earlier version, fixing that, and working forward to version 0.6.
Tested by Arcangelus, with his fixes and changes added.
Fixed version 0.6 is now version 0.7.
All of the above before this September note, is resolved AFAIK.

....................THIS MAY BE way some peoples' fixes were lost and somehow didn't show up in this version. I started with an earlier version...
ALSO, stuff was done to get the mod to work. I don't have any hangups with anything. My only concern was to get the mod working. Anything that was causing a problem was taken out. Simple.

version 0.7.1 DH1.02

ARMENIA file fixed, with new ID's. (duplicate id's before).
99% of missing event pics are now in place (novapaddy).
OOB's are half-done,and Guglie_ is finishing them off.
vincesportsman is doing the tech files.
Other contributions have been included, including new city pics (ottoman master).
jimian re-did the Taiwan files (extensive).
AgentSmith2012 contributed the model pics, not allocated yet, as awaiting tech getting sorted.
Filled in some missing model pics and changed others.

Totally redid the ai files where required.
Added an event where required.

USA invasion of Iraq now works under AI control.

Swapped Guglie_'s dprk, south korea and romania inc files
with Arcangelus's files (got rid of dummies).

Put back Decisions, added previously by Wilksjohnson.
Sahrawi removed as start up country.

Various minor changes found while playing.

This version uploaded as MDS20701.

THIS was a major effort by the community to start getting stuff sorted out and added to improve the mod.
REMEMBER, no-one knew when DH1.03 was going to be released. If I'd know that DH1.03 was only a week away, I'd not have bothered doing all this work... BUT in the end by doing it, it familiarised me with all the code, where stuff was etc, and made the Port to DH1.03 easier and quicker...

October 2012, DH 1.03beta released.

Main effort to clean up files in an effort to get rid
of the LAG issue, and make ready for DH1.03... which
has a new ERROR CHECKER, which finds ALL ERRORS.

Files in Config folder checked against DH1.03 files
and found to be in a total mess.

Files in config folder totally redone from scratch
using the DH1.03 files as Master, and MDS2 files
added/overwriting DH where needed.

db folder files as above, much less messy.
map folder files as above, used DH1.03 map files
and only added province_name file from MDS2.
New Minister files added from Arcangelus for DH1.03 added.

Put all bases into the bases.INC file.. removed from
individual country INC files.
THIS MAY NEED REWORKING AS bases may be now missing?? cHECK

273 new AI files created so country's can now have their own
individual AI file, instead of default.ai or minor_default.ai
being used.

Removed DH Lite map from mod.
Set Tech year from 1000 to 2000.

Only did minor gfx changes so far to suit DH1.03 new graphics.

MDS2_07DH03 now the current version.
Loads and works in DH1.03
BUT, set error checker to 1, and there are still
gazillions of errors to be sorted out.

MDS2 in Darkest Hour (current DH1.03) version IS DARKEST HOUR 1.03. Totally!

How?

I started with DH1.03(beta) and ONLY removed the DH tech/units/ whatever, and replaced it with the MDS2 stuff.
SO, all the DH1.03 goodies are in the mod and should work. ...

I removed the DHLite map to save space and it meant I could upload a single file, and not have to upload 2 files...

I only added the graphics that was required. Lots of the old graphics dated back to EU2?? as it looked like it was from another game altogether??

DH1.03 has a new Error Checker.. It checks EVERYTHING.. the ai, the events, ministers, leaders... everything.
Today, whereas the previous version DH1.02 was clean of errors (I removed them ALL).. this version is now showing many many errors.

These will need to be fixed. But in the meantime the mod is fully playable.

I said I would fix the mod, and get rid of all the crashing etc. I did.
I said I would port this mod into DH1.03. I did.

Now it is up to you guys to carry on and make it the mod YOU want it to be.

For me, there really wasn't anything more I could do, as I don't have a vision of where this mod should be. It is not my mod...

EDIT: If I can give you some advice:

I found the "manager" duty overwhelming. Just too much stuff coming at me from all directions every day. Sometimes 2 guys would give me different versions of the same file.... a recipe for chaos!

Use Github, as the the guys can fix the files, everyone has access, and "managing" becomes much easier?

ENSURE; if people contribute something.. Ensure THEY have checked it, tested it that it works, else YOU will spend YOUR LIFE trying to fix and fathom what they wanted in the first place.
So, if a file has not been checked and tested to see if it actually works, you should reject it.

Cheers

novapaddy please send me you changed models pics for minors and try to sorted them to right
And maybe you use someone models pics from Rise of Mankind mod?

I'm zipping it now and will PM you with a link.
I know nothing of the Rise of Mankind mod?

Those pics were sent to me for the mod, but unfortunately I forget who sent them.. memory is baaaddddd:rolleyes:

Just an issue that should be investigated in order to save the team from unneccessary search for already existing ministers due to thinking that they are absent from the game: Even in new version, parts of minister cabinets in many countries are not appearing. It's not that those states would have completely empty cabinets, most often HoG is missing. Those missing cases are also usually not marked by ''Unknown'' or ''N/A'' term that usually point on what really lacks info or is absent from that country. They are like those positions even wouldn't exist in db minister files (without IDs and data for example). But when I check into the db/ministers files, missing ministers are in there. For example, Ireland lacks HoG altough he is present in minister files. Is this because of conversion or something? How to make them reappear?

I don't know why happen, but is solved by defining the starting cabinet in the inc files. Now, if you checked the post #18 of this tread, I would be grateful.

Just an issue that should be investigated in order to save the team from unneccessary search for already existing ministers due to thinking that they are absent from the game: Even in new version, parts of minister cabinets in many countries are not appearing. It's not that those states would have completely empty cabinets, most often HoG is missing. Those missing cases are also usually not marked by ''Unknown'' or ''N/A'' term that usually point on what really lacks info or is absent from that country. They are like those positions even wouldn't exist in db minister files (without IDs and data for example). But when I check into the db/ministers files, missing ministers are in there. For example, Ireland lacks HoG altough he is present in minister files. Is this because of conversion or something? How to make them reappear?

OK I investigated this as Ireland is where I live.

I checked the minister file, all looks ok
I checked if we had pic M39002 for Bertie Ahern, yes, I checked the pic properties, all OK
I checked for a duplication of M39002, was there any, no.
I checked for a duplication of 39002, was there any, no.
.. Back to the minister file, what can it be...??

.. He is down as a Backroom Backstabber... rings a bell in the back of my head... Being familiar with the guy, I changed this designation to Popular Figurehead.

Reloaded game, problem solved....

Reason: sometimes the Personality of the minister type does not match what is allowed... ??

I don't know why happen, but is solved by defining the starting cabinet in the inc files. Now, if you checked the post #18 of this tread, I would be grateful.

With multiple guys constantly changing minister files.. and INC files to their heart's content...

I think the minister information should remain in the minster file.
And the INC file should be left alone.
Why duplicate information, or have it in a different area.

"INC for INC, and minister for minister" should be the motto of the day.. Cheers

It can be solved with the files in this post, it's just they haven't been implemented yet.

I report that files of CocoBZ fully fix the problem with missing ministers. Just in Ireland there is still some nameless (name says ''Unknown'') early 20th century guy (judging from his appearance on old black and white photo) occupying position of the Head of Military Intelligence. But that's probably diffrent issue. Also there is cabinet of Uganda in Trinidad and Tobago, but that's also not tech problem I think (someone mixed files or something). Otherwise, everything is well.

By the way, can I get a suggestion from you guys? I'd like to customize your scenario a bit to suit modern day Cold War scenario (CW never ends, USSR and Warsaw Pact are still around...) that I intend to use for AAR (not a mod or something because it wouldn't be a real modification, just some slight changes in game files and save games). Should I wait for new versions, or will be new changes more related to storyline, events and such? If there won't be any significant technical improvements (game already runs pretty well), I can start working on custom scenario with current version because I don't need new events and such as I'll be making my own storyline already. After I'll be already deep in changes, I won't be able to update my MDSDH scenario anymore. What do you think? Is it worth to try?

Why does the game just close when I try to play? I see 5 seconds of the loading screen and it just shuts without a message

I'm not quite sure why. Do you have the Darkest Hour 1.03b installed?

Also, a small update here. I managed to successfully put Paul Hansons new province file with the MDS2 IC levels in the new version of MDSDH. I played until early 2004 with India and experienced no crashes. I'll try to check with other countries to be absolutely sure there will be no crashes that have resulted from the new province file.

I posted this in the bug thread, but I though it needed to get here:

I discovered a strange bug while playing as the U.S today. When the campaign starts, the United States is already engaged in a battle with Iraqi forces for a province just north west of Kuwait. When this battle ends, Kuwait receives the province as HOI usually would. However, when Kuwait recieves the province, US forces are no longer able to supply for some reason. This means that the U.S cannot win the war, because any provinces they do take are not supplied by connection to the sea.

I'm not quite sure why. Do you have the Darkest Hour 1.03b installed?

Also, a small update here. I managed to successfully put Paul Hansons new province file with the MDS2 IC levels in the new version of MDSDH. I played until early 2004 with India and experienced no crashes. I'll try to check with other countries to be absolutely sure there will be no crashes that have resulted from the new province file.
What's your opinion regarding the location of EU? Should it or not be in the offmap province?

What's your opinion regarding the location of EU? Should it or not be in the offmap province?

Did you test it and get it to work with no crashing?

I don't think anyone really cares where the EU is based. It is where it is now, because it doesn't crash the game.

I'm sure we'd all be happy if you got it to work off-map, as other stuff could be used in a similar manner?

Do you mean crashing during gameplay or during load screen? Because it's loading just fine.

Any crashing, especially any crash when the EU is called in the game?

EDIT: I tried to do off-map provinces when I was doing Homeland.. I couldn't get it to work. So, I'm VERY interested to see if anyone can do it...

Don't know if this was already mentioned, but when India goes to war with Tamil and Sri Lank for some reason, they get 99% partisans in every province, the same happens to Argentina when they go to war with UK over Falklands and Romania when it goes to war with Russia.

And the Central Asian countries leave the Shanghai Pact as soon as either Russia goes to war. Usually they leave the alliance one by one.

I will try to reinstall the patch to see if it works. Since Israel doesn't have any events, I could try making some if you want me to?

E: When you write this in install instructions

"Download. Create a new folder in your DH Mods folder called MDS2_1.03
Extract the CONTENTS of the single file into this folder.
Select the mod in the DH Game Launcher. Play."

You don't have to make a new DH Full folder or what?

Status
Not open for further replies.