• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Doesn't matter what you make your model in. What matters is whether it can export to FBX or not.

If Sketchup can't export directly to FBX, perhaps making an intermediate file and import it to say, Blender, and then export to FBX would be the solution.

If you successfully can apply textures, and export an object file (including textures), and open them in any other 3D app - check the UV map info for the model. The textures may also be automatically loaded as well, depending on how the 3D app handles object import.

I'll be careful and not promise too much, but I guess I can check the free version of Sketchup, SketchUp Make, and create a little guide on using it to create models for Cities Skylines, just like I plan on doing with LightWave and other tools in my pipeline.

...can't wait for high poly, inefficient models to bring the game to a crawl or cause crashes...

Unless things have changed? sketchup isn't really a low poly modelling tool and isn't part of most game developers pipelines.

Yet, I don't see them doing any harm using it for low detailed, small lot buildings in general if that's what they have access to.
I don't blame anyone for using Sketchup all though I certainly wouldn't normally use it.

The way other free tools are in terms of (counter)intuitive user experience, Sketchup is the easiest to get started with. Blender's learning curve is quite steep in comparison. Yes, can do tons more - but for simple things like this I don't see a problem.

Besides, nobody force you to download their mods.

So, after you have a model, you put it in the Skylines model asset editor thingy and can then create a mod that way? Never really done it in other games, but I'd like to learn more about it for Skylines