• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
thanks, in the weeks I was out of ideas for new stuff and my free time was limited, so I did only few attempts at other races

8228544.gif

8228537.gif

Yes! Awesome, those look good already! Especially for the Elves I could use more variety. and I really like the Orc style, the vanilla ones are a bit too primitive for my tastes.
Basing other races styles on specific historic units is a good way to get inspiration. Would fit your human pack better too of course.
Good luck.:)
I'll post some screenshots of my human races units to show of your stuff soon!

generally, I'm making the elves more "primitive" (with such a lifespan, who needs technology?) and orcs more "advanced" when compared to the vanilla, I'm still the old Warcraft generation...

now I've updated the file with new models for orcs and elves, they also include new body models for satyrs and goblins - https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Jc_mtWMD_qhpODFro8r7Dsy1qhgqWr4k

D27B932E24921C382B09337C6E0BB9A764A7FC11

E19AB7254B22CF5609EBC6C473D2AA556831A734

973CC3727B4EA87ED83FB4F63003BEEF1B2EDBE4

... and camels (the model isn't very pretty, but for the fun's sake) -

1D711F313CD2BD29558DCC8E7D69222F0531F022

Last edited:
They look amazing, I really like the bronzeage-ish look of the elves.
And holy forking shortballs, actual camels...:O

That Orc warbreed is terrifying, well done. Planning on doing Warbreed types for other races too? I always thought they were too indistinct across the races.

The introduction of different instruments per race is awesome. I've been thinking of introducing Warhammer-like command units (officer, standard bearer and musician) so that becomes more viable.:)
One again: great to see female warriors included in the set up!

Always a treat to see new stuff from you, thanks.:)

Edit: the Satyrs are awesome, though I think I'm more of a fan of the 'old' version included. :)

That Orc warbreed is terrifying, well done. Planning on doing Warbreed types for other races too? I always thought they were too indistinct across the races.

The introduction of different instruments per race is awesome. I've been thinking of introducing Warhammer-like command units (officer, standard bearer and musician) so that becomes more viable.:)

well, I'm not a big fan of Warbreed, I made that one as a race-specific unit for orcs, replacing their Pikeman (the new one in the image is in fact the Warlord-specific Phalanx); the whole thing is slowly becoming a kind of a downgrade-mod with less races and more variation between them

about WH-like command units: the problem is that, as far as I know, you can have only a random choice of figures per unit, thus you end up in a 3-men unit with three standard-bearers or two officers and a musician, and only scarcely with one of the each type... one possibility is to add an extra model per unit entry, but that one is buggy and shows no animation

did anyone manage to make it, a constant extra figure type per unit? I had a similar problem earlier with the War Wagon unit

Hi! I'm currently making mod which makes items equipped by hero/leader visible on model directly (weapon and shield mostly). Aren't you interested in such stuff?

finally, dwarves - https://drive.google.com/open?id=11Itlo9mRijiwC47oibnBXtILjEWgm8b4

the stuff is slowly becoming ripe for a release as a mod

66FFDC2717B2F4327D3424B1618E0A450122CA13

Hi! I'm currently making mod which makes items equipped by hero/leader visible on model directly (weapon and shield mostly). Aren't you interested in such stuff?

well, implementing all the stuff into game (and testing and optimizing...) takes already enough time, so I'm trying not to exceed the scope; of course, you are free to use the material from my files for your mod

Awesome stuff again!:) Really like the new Dwarven equipment.
Those shields are lovely, any chance you could make them so their front is not a composite of texture elements? If it a single pane they would be great for displaying crests and such on.:)

On the command units: you are right, there is, as far as I can tell, no control on how many and of what type a unit consists.
I am playing with the thought of making single-person units for standard bearers and officers; but they'd have to be very useful and balanced to make them worth putting in an army.

And there is control over individual Combat Summons. Figure a single-figure unit which has the ability to summon different single-figure, support units based on the situation. For example, an Officer would be a lower-grade hero (with some stack abilities, as a leader), and he would summon standard, musician, healer, ancestral ghost... from his HQ, each with a single support ability. When such units are killed (officer and summons), their side would suffer a pretty large morale loss, however.

I'd second Artfactial about Warbreeds. Modding them would be a good improvement to the game. The Elven one is particularly ugly and offending, lore-wise. In general, I don't like the concept of Warbreed either, and I rather had powerful allies instead in some cases, or the elite of the species in the other cases.
Orc: greater orc like vanilla or above.
Goblin: like the Karagh in AoW2, or like vanilla but larger (same stats as other Warbreeds).
Draconian: like the Infantry (Crusher) in AoW2, that is a dino-like clawed beast.
Human: a battle ogre (vanilla feral ogres are near equivalent to Warbreeds)
Dwarf: a half-giant, same as vanilla I guess, only the text wouldn't describe it as being a monstrosity bred for combat, but a kind of first-born, a rare Dwarf paragon attuned to the Stone.
Elf: a forest spirit
Halfling: vanilla!, only renamed as some kind or kinky ogre.
Frostling: an ice troll (vanilla model could be used).

Also Berserkers visually hurt too, imo: their variety in weapons is small, and they look like basic infantry with same weapons and less armor. I'd rather have Berserkers like agile, semi-naked duelists (they are produced at the Gladiators' Pit, after all). I'd see dual small weapons for Dwarves (see AoW2), dual blade weapons for Elves (a "blade dancer"), a Roman-like Human gladiator. I'd remove tassets and pauldrons too, for some species.

[EDIT]All the above applies to a game modded with Racial Units already. This excellent mod could be better as regard to Warbreeds, imho.[/EDIT]

Last edited:
New update, the whole file may be extracted to Documents/My Games/AoW3/UserContent and accessed as a mod - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_5kVr7eN_PQZxFNWo1u8qtFqeIGzqz-D/view?usp=sharing

There is a dual-blade wielding elf included under the rogue units, but I haven't been tweaking the other warbreeds yet (they are removed in the mod actually).

The mod affects only four races - humans, elves, dwarves and orcs. The idea is to spoil the fantasy look a bit and move the game to more late medieval feeling. There are only three basic units available to barracks (e.g. spearmen, crossbowman and militia for humans), others require upgrades. See readme in the .zip file for the list.

I hope I'll be able to play it a bit more for testing and balancing, so that I could release a more polished version soon.

Last edited:
OK now I'm curious after D/Ling the mod. What packs are changed/added? Any compatibility issues I should know about?

next update!

includes Dragon Slayers, a T3 irregular unit for the Sorcerer hero, as well as new race-specific undead units, which should also appear as mobs in the world

the Necromancer doesn't use the Ghoul City feature anymore - one has to raze the city and reanimate it instead (the costs should be recompensated by production bonus); in this way a necro player may have use of other heroes with morale upgrades for more tactical depth

link (62.2 MB) - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_5kVr7eN_PQZxFNWo1u8qtFqeIGzqz-D/view?usp=sharing

BC2110671EBC23642FDEDE5512E2C117F684F90C

OK now I'm curious after D/Ling the mod. What packs are changed/added? Any compatibility issues I should know about?

as far as I know it should be compatible, at least with DLC3

the list of edited packs is getting longer:

aow_cityproperties.rpk
aow_classskilldata.rpk
aow_levelgenerator.rpk
aow_lords.rpk
aow_pickups.rpk
aow_structures.rpk
aow_unitbeasts.rpk
aow_unitdemigiants.rpk
aow_unitdraconians.rpk
aow_unitdwarfs.rpk
aow_unitelves.rpk
aow_unitimperator.rpk
aow_unithumans.rpk
aow_unitmachines.rpk
aow_unitorcs.rpk
aow_unitproperties.rpk
aow_unittheocrat.rpk
aow_unitwarlord.rpk
citylogic.rpk
cityproperties_dlc3.rpk
citypropertieslogic.rpk
classskilldata_dlc3.rpk
cosmichappenings.rpk
dwellings.rpk
equipmentitems.rpk
gameconcepts.rpk
lords_dlc2.rpk
lords_dlc3.rpk
projectiles.rpk
questlogic_dlc3.rpk
racelogic.rpk
racelogic_dlc3.rpk
skillarchdruid.rpk
skilldreadnought.rpk
skillnecromancer.rpk
skillrogue.rpk
skillsorcerer.rpk
structures_dlc3.rpk
unitanimist.rpk
unitnecromancer.rpk
unitpioneer.rpk
unitrogue.rpk
unitsorcerer.rpk

Last edited:
happy new year!

the next update makes the mod compatible with Golden Realms

the mod is now also available at the ModDB (65 MB) - https://www.moddb.com/mods/barbarian-mod

I had a look at leader specializations (air, fire etc.): some spells and summons were changed, e.g. a destruction master gets the Balrog:

8C110A80650AD25D51235FD0C4143807A1F64B78

see the readme file for the detailed list of changes

btw, could I ask a passing-by moderator to move the thread to the Modding section?

Last edited: