• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

ExNihil

Lt. General
12 Badges
Jun 17, 2017
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars Pre-Order
Hi Guys,

I'm making this thread to gather requests/suggestions from modders, and I'm asking my contacts in the various modding discords to contribute to it.

This thread is dedicated to suggestions / requests for modding features.

I'll edit the OP to add more stuff as people post requests.

-------

Crucial Requests regarding variables:
  1. Add export_to_variable, variable_arithmetic_trigger, and arguments for scripted effects/triggers like in EU4
  2. Allow all numeric triggers and effects to allow variables as their argument
  3. Allow any variable in the previous suggestion to be preceded by a scope, eg something like: root.solar_system.my_var_name
These changes would greatly expand modding capability across the board. They'd make it so that paradox script in stellaris was much closer to an actual programming language and so that modders could back their code with actual interface elements instead of hacky workarounds.

Other significant requests:

1. A trigger or scope that allows a modder to determine if a given country is the game's host in multiplayer. E.g. ''is_host = yes".

2. An effect that allows a modder to count neighboring tiles, I.e. count_neighboring_tiles = { limit = { triggers } value = <> }

3. Sector scopes, and especially an ability to determine sector type, income of various resources, current building queue, as well as affect changes to it.

4. Improvement to assign_leader that will allow a modder to assign it to a specific sector.

5. Improvement to leader scopes, which will allow for better scoping to specific leader types.

7. Add a potential+allow fields to ship sizes, section templates and traits.

8. Add ''add_ascension_perk'' effect.

9. Add a ''remove_technology'', ''remove_tradition'' and ''remove_ascension_perk'' effects. This will allow for significantly better modding compatibility.

10. Add on action triggers for tradition unlocked and ascension perk unlocked.

11. Add a triggers to check number of tradition categories adopted, number of traditions adopted, number of traditions finished.

12. Allow soft replacement of ethics, traditions, country types and ai_personalities. That is, without a need to overwrite these files.

13. Change the format of name lists so they dont require modding if new ship classes and armies are added.

14. Add tags, tokens or flags to civics that can be checked in potential/allow/game rules etc.

15. A trigger for checking war exhaustion.

16. A count_owned_planets effect, i.e. count_owned_planets = { limit = {} triggers = {} }.

17. A trigger to check starbase capacity and starbase capacity use.

18. A declare_truce trigger, which will improve event coding.

19. A condition to check faction_happiness.

20. The ability to add flags to tiles, e.g. set_tile_flag, has_tile_flag, remove_tile_flag

21. Extended Database Options, including a dedicated database scope. It would be especially useful if there was also a database folder under common, where u could add pre-configured DB entities and such.

22. A triggered_country_modifier added to buildings.

23. A check for sector taxation settings.

24. A trigger to check tile ID and allow this to be eluded in other triggers and effects, for example resettle pop.

25. A 'stackable' parameter for static modifiers, which allow a modder to determine whether a given modifier can be stackable. It would be especially useful if it the amount of potential stacking is also definable.

26. Extend the existing has_strategic_resource from planet scope to tile scope. This will be useful for mod compatibilities, as well as simplify the ai_allow field on buildings. It would also be useful if this conditional trigger can be used either as has_strategic_resource = yes/no or as has_strategic_resource = { resource = resource_name amount = x }.

27. An on_action for collusus planet-killer weapon fire.

28. Add a condition that allows a modder to check if a country is a prescripted country. i.e. is_prescripted_country = yes/no

29. A ''remove_trait'' effect for pops that does not modify species.

30. Triggers like used to exist for spaceports - has_free_module_slot and is_module_slot_free, but for starbase modules and buildings. Also, please add ''add_module_construction'' and ''add_starbase_building_construction''.

31. Add ''triggered_planet_modifier''' and triggered_adjcancy_bonus'' to buildings.

32. Allow triggered_resource_production on buildings to scope to planet and tile (currently owner only).

33. Extend the pop_<resource>_add modifiers (from processing pops), to include society, physics, engineering and unity.

34. Add a modifier for ship upgrade speed or time.

35. Add a modifier for missile retargeting chance.

Note: there was an old thread with a similar purpose, you can find it here: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/modability-suggestions.928316/

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Agree, especially for sector features.
I will extend a bit this point: additional sector script possibilities will allow modding community to fix some existing issues and help to deepen sector gameplay. Also, it'll be necessary to fix assign_leader and allow it to target sector scope.

I would like a (working) way to scope to specific leaders. For instance = Ruler, Heir, Scientist on Engineering Research, Scientist on Society Research, Scientist in Ship. There are some scopes that let me get near to this, but very blunt and some do not work as expected. I hope this could be resolved some day. Thanks!

Hi Guys,

I'm making this thread to gather requests/suggestions from modders, and I'm asking my contacts in the various modding discords to contribute to it.

This thread is dedicated to suggestions / requests for modding features.

I'll edit the OP to add more stuff as people post requests.

-------

1. A trigger or scope that allows a modder to determine if a given country is the game's host in multiplayer. E.g. ''is_host = yes".

2. An effect that allows a modder to count tiles, I.e. count_tiles = { limit = { triggers } value = <> }

3. An effect that allows a modder to count buildings. Same as the previous one hut more specialized.

4. Sector scopes, and especially an ability to determine sector type.
I’ve done a lot of research (google, the discord, and my own experimenting) but I don’t think it’s possible to add stuff like a new determined exterminator/fanatic purifier/etc. civic. This means all of the diplomatic effects that come with it as well as a way to add a custom purge type to it.

I tried making a custom civic that was essentially determined exterminator but gave minerals (for a mineral-based species I’m making), but I wasn’t able to figure out how.

If this is already possible, I would really like to know.

Fellow modder and I have this request as well:

It would be nice to be able to remove a ship size from ship designer by Event.
Example: I have given player access to the new ship size Battlecruiser and want to remove the ship classes Cruiser and Battleship from ship designer altogether.

It would also be nice to define a maximum amount of one ship size that the players/AI are allowed to build, such as a Flagship. Only available to have one in your fleet.

I'll close the old thread and pin this one, can you just link to the old thread in the OP please

And move to the modding area

I'll close the old thread and pin this one, can you just link to the old thread in the OP please

And move to the modding area

Gr8, thanks a lot . I'll do this now.

Add civic tags and categories.

Civic tags: Can be assigned to a civic and checked by game rules or other civics being allowed. For example, fanatic purifiers would have tags such as MUST_PURGE and DIPLOMACY_DISABLED. I can, say, check the former to prevent my civic from being enabled for any purifier or purifier knock-offs from other mods. Conversely, purifiers might have condition civic_tags = { NOT = { value = MUST_NOT_PURGE } } so I can disable purifiers from my civic without overwriting them (At this very moment I confirmed - game can spawn civics that will invalidate previous civics)

Category would be shown under civic name and tell you you can only pick one of those. Can be used for backstories, special behaviour and others.

@dskod1 is it worthwhile to repost stuff I'd posted in the old thread into this one? I guess I can also wait till 2.0 and see whether any of the stuff I wanted was implemented, though.

Here are a few requests to make radical empire changes easier and less painful, in order of importance, please consider!

1. Events should be able to take away techs and disable ship hull types. So we should be able to deny players access to Cruisers or Battleships when we've given them access to Battlecruisers etc.

2. There should be a way to diplomatically request someone to be a new subject type, rather than making them Vassals and converting them through an event, which is a hacky solution and doesn't look nice in the UI.

3. We should be able to tie tech weights directly to the total number of available Ascension Perk slots, occupied or otherwise, preferably any of the three options.

4. We should have more control over Decadence, and be able to change its rates through events, and maybe even roll it back a bit or so.

5. Would be nice if we could add new tech categories such as Rare or Dangerous, and add a different color card back as a result.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hey Guys,

Am not ignoring your questions, am just trying to find out more information for you. Keep you posted ;)

Ah, I just noticed that OP actively edits the requests as more come, I was editing my own post as I ran into more problems that couldn't be solved. Just giving you a heads-up OP, there are a few more things now in my list. :p

Hey Guys,

My best advise is to just keep this thread up to date for now. Couldn't find out much information unfortunately :(

Checks/Scopes for when an Empire reaches a certain amount of War Exhaustion or Claims. IE: 25%, 50%, 75%, 95% In Favor of the Winning empire, -25%, -50%, -75%, -95% For the Losing Empire?

Ah, I just noticed that OP actively edits the requests as more come, I was editing my own post as I ran into more problems that couldn't be solved. Just giving you a heads-up OP, there are a few more things now in my list. :p

Its better u make new posts, because otherwise I'll miss stuff.

Also, please point directly to game elements, triggers, effects, scopes and so forth, otherwise its very general.