• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Is it possible to create a retinue type that is only available to merchant republics? I tried a quick experiment with Venice, adding republic = no with the standard Italian unit and adding mine in with republic = yes. The standard Italian retinue kept showing up, the new one never did. Does the government check not apply to retinues?
The republic group checks is is_republic from what recall, there is also is_merchant_republic which if I recall only applies to the doge somewhat confusingly and is_patrician which is self explanatory.

Is it possible to have different religions use different sound effects for various screens (like the religion screen). For example church chanting is weird for all non-Christian religions.

Also: How do I make a religion have a unique interface?

Last edited:
Does anyone know anything about how the Dynasty Tree is generated?

My Mod does 3 things : 1) Generate missing parents; 2) generate up to 6 Siblings; 3) generate up to 6 cousins (including relative aunts/uncles if necessary).

The generation itself works perfectly, and everyone is correct in terms of relationships, but my Dynasty Tree does not match up at all. Instead, every character is placed as an unconnected icon. If I look at other Rulers, there is a line from their father down to them, and then from them to any siblings/children; but that is not appearing with my generated characters. Is there a way to fix this?

Is there a way to prevent AI rulers from apointing jewish characters as tutors? That usually ends with a jewish heir...which is absolutely ahistorical. I know that I can prevent that on my realm expelling jews (but the penalties for that are too big), but I also want to stop that from happening in other realms.

You can mod the allowed_to_hold block for the tutor title
Add this:
Code:
OR = {
   NOT = { religion_group = jewish_group } # Blocks Jewish characters
   liege = { religion_group = jewish_group } # Unless the liege is also Jewish
   liege = { ai = no } # Or the liege is player controller
}

Also: How do I make a religion have a unique interface?
I don't think this is possible just yet (because hardcoded), but afaik scheduled to be opened to modding with the next major patch accompanying Holy Fury.

A little while ago I began making my own personal modifications to the culture file, changing name lists, portraits, patronyms and that sort of thing. I have not yet been able to figure out how to make a culture use unit models from one culture and portraits from another nor do I know how to change the localization for titles. For instance, making Greek cultured barons be called Pronoiarios.

How do I do these things?

A couple of questions:

- Which artefact graphics are we allowed to use without MNM (and JD)? I know that the artefact system itself is something we can use (though obviously we can't use pre-existing artefacts from those DLCs, e.g. the Seal of Solomon artefact), but it is rather vague if some of the graphics are DLC-locked or not (I can't see any of them in the dlc069/dlc073 directories, but I'm not 100 % sure that's a reliable way to check Rule 7).

- What is the status on the DLC-locking for various event pictures (or, if that is easier to answer, the locking of pictures that originally came with a specific DLC, e.g. "Are JD's event pictures DLC-locked or not?")? I know for a fact that there are some event pictures that came with one DLC that are used in events associated with another (for example, CM's "Start of the Viking Age" event uses the event picture that's similar to the loading screen for tOG), so it isn't as simple as "All tOG event pictures are tOG exclusive" for all DLCs. Some event pictures (e.g. those from MNM) are only found in a dlcXYZ directory (which makes it obviously that they're unusable without the DLC), but a lot of DLC-related pictures (e.g. all of the JD and WoL ones) are found in the regular \gfx\event_pictures directory, which makes things a bit confusing.

Is there a way to not force turkish succession on muslim dynasties that switch? I've been trying to keep a few succession types open to muslims by culture (mainly ultimo for mongolians, primo for iranians, and tanistry for celts) with some success but I can't get the damn law to stick for more than a week.

Is there a way to not force turkish succession on muslim dynasties that switch? I've been trying to keep a few succession types open to muslims by culture with some success but I can't get the damn law to stick for more than a week.

It should be perfectly possible. I suspect you've got something messed up with your potential blocks and that some maintenance "event" in the background reverts them to the default succession law. If you post your succession_laws.txt here as an attachment I can take a look.

Oh, I forgot to do the maintenance event thing, thanks

You misunderstood me; you don't need to do any kind of maintenance event (and that would be both unreliable depending on the day it popped and likely affect performance), but the game itself periodically (not sure how often) validates various things in the background (succession laws included) and will be reverting the law if your potential blocks are messed up (e.g. you force a Egyptian Shia ruler to use Gavelkind but the potential block for that law forbids it, and the next time the game checks the law for that title it will notice the issue and restore Turkic Succession since that's the only allowed option).

A couple of questions:

- Which artefact graphics are we allowed to use without MNM (and JD)? I know that the artefact system itself is something we can use (though obviously we can't use pre-existing artefacts from those DLCs, e.g. the Seal of Solomon artefact), but it is rather vague if some of the graphics are DLC-locked or not (I can't see any of them in the dlc069/dlc073 directories, but I'm not 100 % sure that's a reliable way to check Rule 7).
I think, since the graphics are included in the game (but unused) without the DLC, you should be able to use all of them, though I'm not 100% on that.

- What is the status on the DLC-locking for various event pictures (or, if that is easier to answer, the locking of pictures that originally came with a specific DLC, e.g. "Are JD's event pictures DLC-locked or not?")? I know for a fact that there are some event pictures that came with one DLC that are used in events associated with another (for example, CM's "Start of the Viking Age" event uses the event picture that's similar to the loading screen for tOG), so it isn't as simple as "All tOG event pictures are tOG exclusive" for all DLCs. Some event pictures (e.g. those from MNM) are only found in a dlcXYZ directory (which makes it obviously that they're unusable without the DLC), but a lot of DLC-related pictures (e.g. all of the JD and WoL ones) are found in the regular \gfx\event_pictures directory, which makes things a bit confusing.
The game is set up so that if you try to use a DLC-specific event picture without the DLC, it automatically substitutes an appropriate vanilla picture instead. So, your mod can use any event picture, but people lacking DLC may see a different image in its place.

Someone claimed that the Hebrew Khazar names are only used for Jewish characters. How does this mechanic work?

You define a religion-specific namelist, which makes sure that only someone whose (public, I assume) religion is in that group AND whose culture has that name (or a version of it with the same base name) can get that name.

For example, jewish_group has this
Code:
   # Names given only to Jewish characters (base names)
   male_names = {
       Belet Ezra Hanukkah Hezekiah Isaac Levi Manasseh Nisi Simeon Yavdi Zebulun
   }

and the Khazar culture has this
Code:
       male_names = {
           Alp Araslan_Arslan Bagha Baghatur Bälgiçi Barjik Barsbek Bastu Bashtwa Bihor Böri Bugha Bulan Bulçan Busir Buzer Çat Çat'n Çorpan Ilik Iltäbär Itakh Kamaj Karadakh Kayghalagh Khatir Khuterkin
           Kibar Kisa Kundaçiq Kundaç Mänär Mänäs Mënümarót Ötemis Papaçyz Samsam Sartäç Simsam Täbär Tabghaç Tarkhan Tarmaç Tuzniq Vakrim Yabghu Yavantey Yençepi Yerneslu Yeçtirek Yilig
           Belet Ezra Hanukkah Hezekiah Isaac Manasseh Nisi Yavdi Zebulun
       }

When a character is born or created, unless they are forced to get a certain name by the player/scripter the game randomizes a name for their culture, excluding all options that are restricted to a religion that the character does not have. In the Khazar example, a Khazar character who is born/created with Jewish/Samaritan/Karaite religion could be named Zebulun, while any other Khazar character won't use the name. However, if your Zebulun converts to another religion, he gets to keep the name.

nor do I know how to change the localization for titles. For instance, making Greek cultured barons be called Pronoiarios.
That one is easy. Simply adding one line of localisation will do the trick, it will connect automatically!
baron_greek would work for your purpose. Look at lines 5948 and lower in the localisation file text1.csv for examples of how it's used. No further configuration needed!

From the event "MNM.1836" (from the file "Crusader Kings II/events/mnm_hermetics_events.txt"):
Code:
random_list = {
                        30 = { # Tracking planets
                                character_event = { id = MNM.1846 }
                        }
                        30 = { # Predicting Comet
                                character_event = { id = MNM.1847 }
                        }
                        30 = { # Name a newly found star
                                character_event = { id = MNM.1848 }
                        }
                        30 = { # Observe zodiac stars
                                character_event = { id = MNM.1850 }
                        }
                        120 = { # Fail to observe anything of interest
                                modifier = {
                                        factor = 0.5
                                        has_character_modifier = astronomical_insights_2
                                }
                                modifier = {
                                        factor = 0.5
                                        has_character_modifier = astronomical_insights_3
                                }
                                modifier = {
                                        factor = 0.5
                                        has_character_modifier = astronomical_insights_4
                                }

character_event = { id = MNM.1851 }
                        }
                }

Does this random_list block half the 120 when the character has one of the astronomical_insights character modifiers or are the modifiers cumulative, i.e. the 120 weight gets reduced to 15 when the character has the astronomical_insights_4 modifier?

It cuts it in half if you have one of those modifiers. If you somehow have multiple of those modifiers (for instance, 2 and 3) it will cut it in half for each of them, reducing it to 30.
If you have the astronomical_insights_4 modifier, you don't have astronomical_insights_2 or astronomical_insights_3, so the first two blocks will fail. The code doesn't have any understanding that these modifiers are upgraded versions of each other.

Hello,

I am currently working on a mod adding new offmap powers (in Southeast Asia). I am struggling to add a second screen button, below the dragon one, calling for the new offmap window.

Vanilla main.gui (with JD installed) starts like this :

Code:
guiTypes = {
    windowType = {
        name = "icon_offmaps_entry"
        backGround =""
        position = { x = 0 y = 0 }
        size = { x = 50 y = 50 }
        moveable = 0
        dontRender = ""
        horizontalBorder = "0"
        verticalBorder = ""
        fullScreen = no
        Orientation = "UPPER_LEFT"

guiButtonType =    {
            name = "icon_offmaps"
            position = { x=0 y=0 }
            quadTextureSprite ="GFX_china_screen_button"   
            clicksound = click_default_china
        }
    }

iconType = {
        name ="minimap_pic"
        spriteType = "GFX_minimap_area"
        position = { x=-259 y=-199 }
        Orientation = "LOWER_RIGHT"
    }

And then there is this listbox in minimap block :

Code:
listboxType = {
                name = "offmap_list"
                position = { x=-24 y=20 }
                size = { x=50 y=200 }
                spacing = 1
                scrollbartype = "standardlistbox_slider"
                borderSize = {x = 0 y = 0}
                orientation = "UPPER_LEFT"
            }

How can I add this second button? Creating a second guiButtonType in the first windowType? Or should I do this in a distinct windowType instead? (I tried both solutions but it made the game crash). Maybe I should do it ine the listboxType?

Thank you in advance for your help.