• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
and what with religion heads ?
You only have to enter a line "pre_reformed = yes" in the 00_religions.txt file in common/religions under the line for graphical culture for the respective religion. I'm pretty sure this will also affect existing characters, but it's worth a test to be sure.

Can anyone explain exactly how heresies work? Specifically, in terms of how they come into the game.

Basically, I had the idea to add a couple of heresies to the reformed pagan religions, but while adding the new religion itself is pretty straight-forward, the method by which heresies arise is still totally opaque to me.

Related question: should I be moving each brand of paganism into its own religion group for this?

Can anyone explain exactly how heresies work? Specifically, in terms of how they come into the game.

Basically, I had the idea to add a couple of heresies to the reformed pagan religions, but while adding the new religion itself is pretty straight-forward, the method by which heresies arise is still totally opaque to me.

Related question: should I be moving each brand of paganism into its own religion group for this?

Basically in the common/religions/00_religions.txt file you have the religion groups (ex: Christian), the main religions (ex: Catholic and Orthodox) and the heresies. To create a heresy, you create a new religion like Catholic and you add the line "parent_religion = "insert religion"". That will make in sort that your new religion will be considered a heresy of the former.

So in brief you don't need to create a new religion group for your paganism, just add the line that will establish the relation.

FInally, to make a heresy emerge is entirely event related, you can go in events/religious_events.txt for the vanilla events, but if I remember correctly it changed with Sons of Abrahams and so if you have the DLC you should instead look in soa_heresy_events.

Heresies have a chance to randomly appear in provinces if MA goes low. Aside from that, characters can sometimes go heretic through events (e.g. your Court Chaplain when he researches culture tech). Generally, the exact heresy is random (though some religions only have one heresy and thus can only get one kind of heretics), but it is possible to script events in such a way that a specific heresy appears.

As for moving the pagans to different religion groups, there are advantages and disadvantages to that. Two advantage is that it shuts down pagan intermarriage except where specified (which may or may not be to your liking) and that you can restrict events to a specific subset of pagan religions more easily (instead of checking for a long list of Romuva heresies you check for baltic_group), while two disadvantages are that the pagan interface is locked to pagan_group (which you can change the localisation for if you want to use it for one specific set of pagan religions) and that you will need to go through every reference to pagan_group and replace with the necessary religions/groups, which is a bit tedious and can have rather big consequences if you miss some references to it (e.g. if you don't want pagans to feudalize before reforming you need to ensure that you block the unreformed religions in all groups instead of disallowing unreformed religions in pagan_group only). Depending on what you are doing, it is either a waste of time or an advantage (e.g if you are going to have a lot of instances where you check for a number of different Tengri faiths, having one check for tengri_group is rather handy).

Basically in the common/religions/00_religions.txt file you have the religion groups (ex: Christian), the main religions (ex: Catholic and Orthodox) and the heresies. To create a heresy, you create a new religion like Catholic and you add the line "parent_religion = "insert religion"". That will make in sort that your new religion will be considered a heresy of the former.

So in brief you don't need to create a new religion group for your paganism, just add the line that will establish the relation.

FInally, to make a heresy emerge is entirely event related, you can go in events/religious_events.txt for the vanilla events, but if I remember correctly it changed with Sons of Abrahams and so if you have the DLC you should instead look in soa_heresy_events.

Thanks a bunch, I figured events were probably key to heresies but wasn't sure. I do have SoA so I will check out that file. Don't know how I hadn't picked up on the "parent_religion" thing being the key, feel dumb now!

Heresies have a chance to randomly appear in provinces if MA goes low. Aside from that, characters can sometimes go heretic through events (e.g. your Court Chaplain when he researches culture tech). Generally, the exact heresy is random (though some religions only have one heresy and thus can only get one kind of heretics), but it is possible to script events in such a way that a specific heresy appears.

As for moving the pagans to different religion groups, there are advantages and disadvantages to that. Two advantage is that it shuts down pagan intermarriage except where specified (which may or may not be to your liking) and that you can restrict events to a specific subset of pagan religions more easily (instead of checking for a long list of Romuva heresies you check for baltic_group), while two disadvantages are that the pagan interface is locked to pagan_group (which you can change the localisation for if you want to use it for one specific set of pagan religions) and that you will need to go through every reference to pagan_group and replace with the necessary religions/groups, which is a bit tedious and can have rather big consequences if you miss some references to it (e.g. if you don't want pagans to feudalize before reforming you need to ensure that you block the unreformed religions in all groups instead of disallowing unreformed religions in pagan_group only). Depending on what you are doing, it is either a waste of time or an advantage (e.g if you are going to have a lot of instances where you check for a number of different Tengri faiths, having one check for tengri_group is rather handy).

Good insight on the subject of pagan religion groups. For now I think I'll try going with one group but I will weigh the pros and cons as I go with this.

Follow-up to my previous question about tagging names across cultures. I know I can wrap a name containing spaces around quotes. In this situation does the _key tag work as expected? For example "Jo Han_Yuan".

Is there a way I can have a CB become available to a character with a particular trait?

Is there a way I can have a CB become available to a character with a particular trait?

Just put "ROOT = { trait = [trait] }" inside the can_use block if you want the trait to be required for everyone wanting to use the CB. If not, put it inside an OR block with the other possible ways to unlock the CB.

Follow-up to my previous question about tagging names across cultures. I know I can wrap a name containing spaces around quotes. In this situation does the _key tag work as expected? For example "Jo Han_Yuan".
There are no examples in the vanilla files. You *might* be able to manage it by replacing the space with a hexadecimal(a0) character (obtained in TextWrangler by pressing opt-space), and leaving the quotes off.

Checking for a "heresy group" is done in vanilla with:
Code:
    religion = catholic
    is_heresy_of = catholic
I believe this works even if catholic becomes a heresy itself.

There are no examples in the vanilla files. You *might* be able to manage it by replacing the space with a hexadecimal(a0) character (obtained in TextWrangler by pressing opt-space), and leaving the quotes off.

Thanks, I just used "\xa0" in my script to take care of it. I guess in this situation "" is also not required but for readability I should keep it anyway.

What would be the best way to set up a trait mod, so that the traits my mod adds always move to the end of the trait ID list, even if other, trait editing, mods are mods are used?

I'm trying to add a courtier adding event chain using random lists, i.e. assassination events.

Event A

Option A1 random=(either gain courtier event or courtier escape)

Option A2 random={either capture courtier event or courtier escapes)

Option A3 ignore event

I used

Option = {
event_name
prestige/money/piety = #/-#/0
random_list = {

# = { FROM = { character_event = { id = x}} }
# = {FROM = {character_event = { id = x }}}
}
}
but it would ignore all options after that. The only way to get the event to work is to remove the random list and have each option using only 0-1 possible event. I double and tripled checked every bracket which came up red (closed) properly.

Just put "ROOT = { trait = [trait] }" inside the can_use block if you want the trait to be required for everyone wanting to use the CB. If not, put it inside an OR block with the other possible ways to unlock the CB.

Thanks! Would this work for the Viking/Prepared Invasion CB as well? It seems to work a bit differently than the others.

Right.

When saving icons for traits as dds files, do they have to be compressed? What compression algorithm should I use when exporting from gimp?

No compression, Default format, No mipmaps

Reactions: