• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I gave it the name "I", just the letter I. The sequence of the localization files would be I, II, III, IV, etc.

In that case you most likely will end up with a file that is read prior to the file you are trying to overwrite. Change the name to e.g. "zI" and it probably will work.

Reactions:
There's still no way to mod how the AI characters pick their spouses, is there?
I'm working on a small fairy tales-type of mod, and I'm getting kind of annoyed by how often the AI rulers marry evil witches and such. That's not how such tales usually go.

I don't want to completely block that, it should happen occasionally. But do you happen to have any ideas on how to make them less desirable for marriage? They have pretty good stats overall, which is probably why they get picked so often.

Last edited:
What is the easiest way to increase the vassal limit for one particular country? (either by modding or save-game editing) Could I put it in a modifier to the title, or maybe make a law that no country can institute or repeal but this one has from the start?

I'm working on a small fairy tales-type of mod, and I'm getting kind of annoyed by how often the AI rulers marry evil witches and such. That's not how such tales usually go.

I don't want to completely block that, it should happen occasionally. But do you happen to have any ideas on how to make them less desirable for marriage? They have pretty good stats overall, which is probably why they get picked so often.

Could you maybe give them a hidden Character Modifier producing a negative general opinion?

Do scripted triggers have any effect on performances ? I'm currently trying to change some triggers in a mod to more compact scripted triggers, in order to see how much it would reduce storage space needed for the mod. But if scripted triggers are known to reduce the game speed, then I won't bother doing it

Do scripted triggers have any effect on performances ? I'm currently trying to change some triggers in a mod to more compact scripted triggers, in order to see how much it would reduce storage space needed for the mod. But if scripted triggers are known to reduce the game speed, then I won't bother doing it
I use those extensively, and haven't noticed major slowdowns.
If anything, scripted triggers and effects seem to improve the performance. Especially if it's a trigger that's used multiple times within the same event. Hard to tell for sure, though.

If anything, scripted triggers and effects seem to improve the performance. Especially if it's a trigger that's used multiple times within the same event. Hard to tell for sure, though.
Ok thanks !

I hate to be asking again, but my issue still hasn't been resolved, nor does it seem anyone in the HIP subforum is interested in helping me.

I'm trying to modify the HIP Crusade CB in order to allow any Christian sect which can call a Crusade to be able to target Messalians, and for Messalians to be able to target any Christian sect. The code I'm using was written for me by someone else, and begins at the first "AND" command below (which I've included in both the "can_use" and "is_valid" portions of the CB):

Code:
FROM = {
            OR = {
                NOT = { religion_group = ROOT }
                is_heresy_of = ROOT
                is_parent_religion = ROOT
                AND = {
                    religion = messalian
                    FROM = {
                        OR = {
                            religion = catholic
                            religion = cathar
                            religion = fraticelli
                            religion = waldensian
                            religion = lollard
                            religion = miaphysite
                            religion = monophysite
                            religion = orthodox
                            religion = bogomilist
                            religion = paulician
                            religion = monothelite
                            religion = iconoclast
                            religion = nestorian
                            religion = adoptionist
                            religion = arian
                            religion = maronite
                            religion = apostolic
                            religion = tondrakian
                        }
                    }
                }
                AND = {
                    OR = {
                        religion = catholic
                        religion = cathar
                        religion = fraticelli
                        religion = waldensian
                        religion = lollard
                        religion = miaphysite
                        religion = monophysite
                        religion = orthodox
                        religion = bogomilist
                        religion = paulician
                        religion = monothelite
                        religion = iconoclast
                        religion = nestorian
                        religion = adoptionist
                        religion = arian
                        religion = maronite
                        religion = apostolic
                        religion = tondrakian
                    }   
                    FROM = { religion = messalian }
                }

Unfortunately this does not work in the CB (I've tested by feudalizing the Pope after Crusades have been enabled and attempting to call a Crusade on a Messalian Jerusalem, but the CB was unavailable). I know it's not from a missing/misplaced bracket or any such, as I've used the Validator and there's been no red flags. It's been suggested that the CB is likely not functioning because of some contrary command, and I find this likely, but I'm extremely novice at modding and I certainly can't find anything. As such I've included my CB file and the EMF CB triggers which modify it; hopefully somebody here far more skillful than myself can see something which I don't.

I would be incredibly appreciative of any and all help figuring this out. I really don't want to continue my campaign until I've enabled this.

Attachments

• 00_cb_types.txt
    494,1 KB · Views: 1
  • emf_cb_triggers.txt
    7 KB · Views: 1

Hmm I think it was said somewhere that scripted triggers/effects were replaced 'in place' during the loading, as if they were not there at all (i.e. it's not an extra function call), but I could be wrong. If someone finds back a source on that ...
Even if it was a function call, the benefit in code readability (less bugs) would outweigh any minor perf degradation :)

Maybe a big negative sex_appeal_opinion trait/character modifier ? I don't know what other purpose it would serve.

I hate to be asking again, but my issue still hasn't been resolved, nor does it seem anyone in the HIP subforum is interested in helping me.

I'm trying to modify the HIP Crusade CB in order to allow any Christian sect which can call a Crusade to be able to target Messalians, and for Messalians to be able to target any Christian sect. The code I'm using was written for me by someone else, and begins at the first "AND" command below (which I've included in both the "can_use" and "is_valid" portions of the CB):

Code:
FROM = {
            OR = {
                is_heresy_of = ROOT
                AND = {
                    religion = messalian
                    FROM = {
                        OR = {
                            religion = catholic
                            religion = cathar
                            religion = fraticelli
                            religion = waldensian
                            religion = lollard
                            religion = miaphysite
                            religion = monophysite
                            religion = orthodox
                            religion = bogomilist
                            religion = paulician
                            religion = monothelite
                            religion = iconoclast
                            religion = nestorian
                            religion = adoptionist
                            religion = arian
                            religion = maronite
                            religion = apostolic
                            religion = tondrakian
                        }
                    }
                }
                AND = {
                    OR = {
                        religion = catholic
                        religion = cathar
                        religion = fraticelli
                        religion = waldensian
                        religion = lollard
                        religion = miaphysite
                        religion = monophysite
                        religion = orthodox
                        religion = bogomilist
                        religion = paulician
                        religion = monothelite
                        religion = iconoclast
                        religion = nestorian
                        religion = adoptionist
                        religion = arian
                        religion = maronite
                        religion = apostolic
                        religion = tondrakian
                    }  
                    FROM = { religion = messalian }
                }

Unfortunately this does not work in the CB (I've tested by feudalizing the Pope after Crusades have been enabled and attempting to call a Crusade on a Messalian Jerusalem, but the CB was unavailable). I know it's not from a missing/misplaced bracket or any such, as I've used the Validator and there's been no red flags. It's been suggested that the CB is likely not functioning because of some contrary command, and I find this likely, but I'm extremely novice at modding and I certainly can't find anything. As such I've included my CB file and the EMF CB triggers which modify it; hopefully somebody here far more skillful than myself can see something which I don't.

I would be incredibly appreciative of any and all help figuring this out. I really don't want to continue my campaign until I've enabled this.

CB modding is tough, so don't give up !
Something is strange because you are using FROM inside FROM, but no ROOT.
Also can you reduce the religion check to a religion_group check, or is there a reason ?
I didn't check the whole CB, but from your post, the following would be more logical:
Code:
FROM = {
            OR = {
                is_heresy_of = ROOT
                AND = {
                    ROOT = { religion = messalian }
                    religion_group = christian
                }
                AND = {
                    religion = messalian
                    ROOT = { religion_group = christian }
                }
           }
}

Reactions:
\CB modding is tough, so don't give up !
Something is strange because you are using FROM inside FROM, but no ROOT.
Also can you reduce the religion check to a religion_group check, or is there a reason ?
I didn't check the whole CB, but from your post, the following would be more logical:
Code:
FROM = {
            OR = {
                is_heresy_of = ROOT
                AND = {
                    ROOT = { religion = messalian }
                    religion_group = christian
                }
                AND = {
                    religion = messalian
                    ROOT = { religion_group = christian }
                }
           }
}
Honestly I don't know at all; as I said, I'm absolutely terrible with modding, and someone else developed that particular code for me. It does seem more logical to use religious grouping, and truth be told I was confused why there wasn't a callback to the ROOT, but I just trusted the other guy knew what he was doing more than I did.

I'll try what you've suggested, see if it works, and report back. Thanks for the help!

EDIT: It worked perfectly! Thanks so much for the help!

Last edited:
I want to make a mod that modify a vanilla event without changing the whole file structure. From what I understood, creating a file with the vanilla game's name overwrite this file completely while creating another will result in both the vanilla event and the modded one to trigger, even with the same id.

So my question is: is there a way either to prevent a vanilla event from firing or modify it without having to copy the entire vanilla file?

I want to make a mod that modify a vanilla event without changing the whole file structure. From what I understood, creating a file with the vanilla game's name overwrite this file completely while creating another will result in both the vanilla event and the modded one to trigger, even with the same id.

So my question is: is there a way either to prevent a vanilla event from firing or modify it without having to copy the entire vanilla file?
None that I'm aware of but then I haven't done much event modding.

May I ask why you don't want to copy the original file. What do you mean by "changing the whole file structure"? If it's just for editability reasons you could always copy the vanilla file and delete the event in question then create a new file with your modified version in it. (I've done something similar in landed_titles, splitting off the holy orders etc into separate files.) If not then I don't know what to suggest.

Reactions:

May I ask why you don't want to copy the original file. What do you mean by "changing the whole file structure"? If it's just for editability reasons you could always copy the vanilla file and delete the event in question then create a new file with your modified version in it. (I've done something similar in landed_titles, splitting off the holy orders etc into separate files.) If not then I don't know what to suggest.

Wait, you can do that with landed_titles? For some reason I thought it had to all be in one... Well, that's useful to know :D

Wait, you can do that with landed_titles? For some reason I thought it had to all be in one... Well, that's useful to know :D
If I remember correctly, you can even define the same title in separate files, for example if you want to add a de jure kingdom into an empire

Reactions:
I have a Pseudo-Settlement (since I assume we cannot manually add new Settlement Types), and would like to tidy it up... So, two main questions, I hope:
can I change a Settlement's icon dynamically, but keeping the Settlement Type intact? Is it possible to 'hide' buildings without editing their Potential or using 'Replaces'? Right now I have all the Tribal Buildings "hidden" via replacing them with my new buildings, but I would like to maybe reduce the overall number of Buildings in my Pseudo-Settlement. Trying multiple 'replaces' never worked.

Thanks for any suggestions :)

What I would like is to make let's say two mods that edit different events from the same file, so it would basically be like that:
Vanilla
Code:
narrative_event = {
     id = 1
     trigger = {
          year = 900
     }
}

narrative_event = {
     id = 2
     trigger = {
          year = 1000
     }
}

Mod 1
Code:
narrative_event = {
     id = 1
     trigger = {
          year = 1100
     }
}

Mod 2
Code:
narrative_event = {
     id = 2
     trigger = {
          year = 1200
     }
}

Mod 1 + 2
Code:
narrative_event = {
     id = 1
     trigger = {
          year = 1100
     }
}

narrative_event = {
     id = 2
     trigger = {
          year = 1200
     }
}

The problem being that if I use your method, wouldn't that create a problem for the second mod? Wouldn't that prevent Mod 1 from working since the modified vanilla file of Mod 2 would overwrite or enter in conflict with Mod 1 modified event id?

Last edited:
hi,
is it possible to start with all pagan religion already reformed ? if yes, how i can edit/create it ?
You could change the religion of every guy and every province in the history files