• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hello, i am nooby to modding, but want expand silk road a little. Can somebody help me and give a link to a source, where i can find how to do it? Because i dont know where to find it myself =(.

Hello, i am nooby to modding, but want expand silk road a little. Can somebody help me and give a link to a source, where i can find how to do it? Because i dont know where to find it myself =(.
What do you mean by expand? If you just mean make the route longer that's fairly trivial - you just add the appropriate province numbers to common\trade_routes\00_silk_route.txt. If you want to expand the functionality that would depend a great deal on what you want to do.

Reactions:
The Wiki says that <tech_type>_techpoints work with 'Holding Modifiers', but when I try this in game, I end up with "NONE"; it does not seem to be a case of a message display problem (like the Wiki says some display 'NONE' but still work); can anyone confirm if this is meant to work (so something I am messing up), or whether it's a mistake on the Wiki/recent change?

Additionally, can Holding Modifiers not be hidden? I have hidden=yes set, but my dummy-modifier is still showing up :/

I have some localisation issues with letters like åäö not being displayed correctly in game. I understand it has to do with what encoding language the file is saved in but how do I fix it? I used to use open office calc for these things and it worked well for almost a year before suddenly becoming screwed up.

The Wiki says that <tech_type>_techpoints work with 'Holding Modifiers', but when I try this in game, I end up with "NONE"; it does not seem to be a case of a message display problem (like the Wiki says some display 'NONE' but still work); can anyone confirm if this is meant to work (so something I am messing up), or whether it's a mistake on the Wiki/recent change?

Additionally, can Holding Modifiers not be hidden? I have hidden=yes set, but my dummy-modifier is still showing up :/

I'd say it's very likely a mistake on the wiki, as it dates back to the rework of the big table ! (I'll update with a link to here)

Don't know about hidden holding modifiers, but as the command to add them is relatively recent, it wouldn't be impossible.
Do you confirm you used hidden=yes in the add_holding_modifier command, not in the modifier definition itself ?

I have some localisation issues with letters like åäö not being displayed correctly in game. I understand it has to do with what encoding language the file is saved in but how do I fix it? I used to use open office calc for these things and it worked well for almost a year before suddenly becoming screwed up.

When opening with Calc, make sure to select Character set "Western Europe (Windows-1252/WinLatin1)"
If you have a file with wrong encoding, you can use Notepad++ , in menu Encoding / Convert to ANSI and saving.

Reactions:
When opening with Calc, make sure to select Character set "Western Europe (Windows-1252/WinLatin1)"
If you have a file with wrong encoding, you can use Notepad++ , in menu Encoding / Convert to ANSI and saving.
That did it thanks

The easiest way to enforce the culture would probably be to fire an event on the death of the holder that creates a random Lithuanian character and grants all demesne titles of the rel head to them.

Can you explain how to do that? I have no idea how; never really done much modding before.

Can you explain how to do that? I have no idea how; never really done much modding before.

The event below should work if you set up a proper event id, set a proper age, and pick a gender (you could also put the create_random_priest block inside a random list and have several opitions if you want the gender to be randomized or want some other randomness).

Code:
character_event = {
   id = ???
   hide_window = yes
   is_triggered_only = yes

trigger = {
     has_landed_title = d_baltic_pagan_reformed
   }

immediate = {
     create_random_priest = {
       culture = lithuanian
       religion = baltic_pagan_reformed
       age = ???
       female = yes/no
       random_traits = yes
     }

new_character = {
       set_government_type = theocracy_government
       ROOT = {
         abdicate_to = PREV
       }
     }
   }
}

You also need to put your event inside an on_death block in a file in the on_actions folder

Code:
on_death = {
   events = {
     ???
   }
}

Reactions:
The event below should work if you set up a proper event id, set a proper age, and pick a gender (you could also put the create_random_priest block inside a random list and have several opitions if you want the gender to be randomized or want some other randomness).

Thank you very much! I'll see what I can do with this.

Ok, I hate to be clueless, but can you explain how to set up the random list? I tried copying a list someone posted a while back, and it generates both a male and female priest, and gives the titles to the man. The script itself works great, though.

Ok, I hate to be clueless, but can you explain how to set up the random list? I tried copying a list someone posted a while back, and it generates both a male and female priest, and gives the titles to the man. The script itself works great, though.

Code:
random_list = {
   50 = {
     [Create a male priest]
   }
   50 = {
     [Create a female priest]
   }
}

[Put the abdication stuff here]

You can add more options if you e.g. want to have the age of the new character randomized as well, but this handles the gender.

Reactions:
Ok, the whole thing appears to be working perfectly! I added some options so that the new High Priest has the potential to be a man or woman of any of the Baltic cultures, with Lithuanian being most common:

Code:
namespace = fylkirate

character_event = {
   id = fylkirate.1
   hide_window = yes
   is_triggered_only = yes

trigger = {
     has_landed_title = d_baltic_pagan_reformed
   }

immediate = {
     random_list = {
       30 = {
         create_random_priest = {
           culture = lithuanian
           age = 35
           female = no
           random_traits = yes
         }
       }
       30 = {
         create_random_priest = {
           culture = lithuanian
           age = 35
           female = yes
           random_traits = yes
         }
       }
       15 = {
         create_random_priest = {
           culture = lettigallish
           age = 35
           female = no
           random_traits = yes
         }
       }
       15 = {
         create_random_priest = {
           culture = lettigallish
           age = 35
           female = yes
           random_traits = yes
         }
       }
       5 = {
         create_random_priest = {
           culture = prussian
           age = 35
           female = no
           random_traits = yes
         }
       }
       5 = {
         create_random_priest = {
           culture = prussian
           age = 35
           female = yes
           random_traits = yes
         }
       }
     }

new_character = {
       set_government_type = theocracy_government
       ROOT = {
         abdicate_to = PREV
       }
     }
   }
}

Thank you so much; you've been an incredible help.

I'd say it's very likely a mistake on the wiki, as it dates back to the rework of the big table ! (I'll update with a link to here)

Don't know about hidden holding modifiers, but as the command to add them is relatively recent, it wouldn't be impossible.
Do you confirm you used hidden=yes in the add_holding_modifier command, not in the modifier definition itself ?

Yep, I also tried it with/without an Icon; no difference, unfortunately.

Sorry for all the questions :/

How do I make sure a bunch of new characters end up under the same Liege/in the same Court? I want to add a "custom court" to a new Province, but they keep being sent off to some random location. I thought it might be 'liege' or 'employer', but it seems to have no effect, and in Character History it looks like the effect = { is for something different to what I want? -- OK that seems to be working now, so no problem I think...

But, my new Sea is not letting me set up a Port. I have a 'sea_zone' defined using the Province ID, but in Nudge, the actual port building is not appearing/being placed.

Last edited:
Anyone know of a simple or quick way to search through the on_actions files and make sure they aren't triggering any nonexistent events?

The Validator tells you if you have any events there that don't exist.

Reactions:
I want to do localization modding. I'm using Microsoft Excel to load up the files. When I run the game, the localization isnt happening (the names of months stay the same). What have I done wrong?

Code:
#CODE;ENGLISH;FRENCH;GERMAN;;SPANISH;;;;;;;;;x
April;Aprilis;Aprilis;Aprilis;Aprilis;Aprilis;Aprilis;Aprilis;Aprilis;;;;;;x
August;Sextilis;Sextilis;Sextilis;Sextilis;Sextilis;Sextilis;Sextilis;Sextilis;;;;;;x
December;December;December;December;December;December;December;December;December;;;;;;x
February;Februarius;Februarius;Februarius;Februarius;Februarius;Februarius;Februarius;Februarius;;;;;;x
Friday;Dies Veneris;Dies Veneris;Dies Veneris;Dies Veneris;Dies Veneris;Dies Veneris;Dies Veneris;Dies Veneris;;;;;;x
January;Ianuarius;Ianuarius;Ianuarius;Ianuarius;Ianuarius;Ianuarius;Ianuarius;Ianuarius;;;;;;x
July;Quintilis;Quintilis;Quintilis;Quintilis;Quintilis;Quintilis;Quintilis;Quintilis;;;;;;x
June;Iunius;Iunius;Iunius;Iunius;Iunius;Iunius;Iunius;Iunius;;;;;;x
March;Martius;Martius;Martius;Martius;Martius;Martius;Martius;Martius;;;;;;x
May;Maius;Maius;Maius;Maius;Maius;Maius;Maius;Maius;;;;;;x
Monday;Dies Lunae;Dies Lunae;Dies Lunae;Dies Lunae;Dies Lunae;Dies Lunae;Dies Lunae;Dies Lunae;;;;;;x
November;November;November;NovemberNovember;November;November;November;November;;;;;;x;
October;October;OctoberOctober;October;October;October;October;October;;;;;;x;
Saturday;Dies Saturni;Dies Saturni;Dies Saturni;Dies Saturni;Dies Saturni;Dies Saturni;Dies Saturni;Dies Saturni;;;;;;x
September;September;September;September;September;September;September;September;September;;;;;;x
Sunday;Dies Solis;Dies Solis;Dies Solis;Dies Solis;Dies Solis;Dies Solis;Dies Solis;Dies Solis;;;;;;x
Thursday;Dies Iovis;Dies Iovis;Dies Iovis;Dies Iovis;Dies Iovis;Dies Iovis;Dies Iovis;Dies Iovis;;;;;;x
Tuesday;Dies Martis;Dies Martis;Dies Martis;Dies Martis;Dies Martis;Dies Martis;Dies Martis;Dies Martis;;;;;;x
Wednesday;Dies Mercurii;Dies Mercurii;Dies Mercurii;Dies Mercurii;Dies Mercurii;Dies Mercurii;Dies Mercurii;Dies Mercurii;;;;;;x

I want to do localization modding. I'm using Microsoft Excel to load up the files. When I run the game, the localization isnt happening (the names of months stay the same). What have I done wrong?

Code:
#CODE;ENGLISH;FRENCH;GERMAN;;SPANISH;;;;;;;;;x
April;Aprilis;Aprilis;Aprilis;Aprilis;Aprilis;Aprilis;Aprilis;Aprilis;;;;;;x
August;Sextilis;Sextilis;Sextilis;Sextilis;Sextilis;Sextilis;Sextilis;Sextilis;;;;;;x
December;December;December;December;December;December;December;December;December;;;;;;x
February;Februarius;Februarius;Februarius;Februarius;Februarius;Februarius;Februarius;Februarius;;;;;;x
Friday;Dies Veneris;Dies Veneris;Dies Veneris;Dies Veneris;Dies Veneris;Dies Veneris;Dies Veneris;Dies Veneris;;;;;;x
January;Ianuarius;Ianuarius;Ianuarius;Ianuarius;Ianuarius;Ianuarius;Ianuarius;Ianuarius;;;;;;x
July;Quintilis;Quintilis;Quintilis;Quintilis;Quintilis;Quintilis;Quintilis;Quintilis;;;;;;x
June;Iunius;Iunius;Iunius;Iunius;Iunius;Iunius;Iunius;Iunius;;;;;;x
March;Martius;Martius;Martius;Martius;Martius;Martius;Martius;Martius;;;;;;x
May;Maius;Maius;Maius;Maius;Maius;Maius;Maius;Maius;;;;;;x
Monday;Dies Lunae;Dies Lunae;Dies Lunae;Dies Lunae;Dies Lunae;Dies Lunae;Dies Lunae;Dies Lunae;;;;;;x
November;November;November;NovemberNovember;November;November;November;November;;;;;;x;
October;October;OctoberOctober;October;October;October;October;October;;;;;;x;
Saturday;Dies Saturni;Dies Saturni;Dies Saturni;Dies Saturni;Dies Saturni;Dies Saturni;Dies Saturni;Dies Saturni;;;;;;x
September;September;September;September;September;September;September;September;September;;;;;;x
Sunday;Dies Solis;Dies Solis;Dies Solis;Dies Solis;Dies Solis;Dies Solis;Dies Solis;Dies Solis;;;;;;x
Thursday;Dies Iovis;Dies Iovis;Dies Iovis;Dies Iovis;Dies Iovis;Dies Iovis;Dies Iovis;Dies Iovis;;;;;;x
Tuesday;Dies Martis;Dies Martis;Dies Martis;Dies Martis;Dies Martis;Dies Martis;Dies Martis;Dies Martis;;;;;;x
Wednesday;Dies Mercurii;Dies Mercurii;Dies Mercurii;Dies Mercurii;Dies Mercurii;Dies Mercurii;Dies Mercurii;Dies Mercurii;;;;;;x

What name have you given the file? Maybe you're having the problem I did the other day, that the file needs to load after the vanilla file (I resolved that with a z_ prefix on my localisation files).

What name have you given the file? Maybe you're having the problem I did the other day, that the file needs to load after the vanilla file (I resolved that with a z_ prefix on my localisation files).

I gave it the name "I", just the letter I. The sequence of the localization files would be I, II, III, IV, etc.