• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Gars, I hate to take advantage of your presence in this thread in such a blatant way, but could you please shed some light on this issue? We went crazy trying to make it work, but in the end we got stuck. There seem to be some problems when there are more than 17 textures in a portrait .dds file.

Is there a way to lock the HRE to Autonomous Vassals? I notice one kind of succession law requires your culture to be Basque, so maybe there' somewhere to set requirements for changing laws.

How do I go about selecting the primary title of a character in the histories? Currently the King of Denmark holds both that crown and that of Norway at the start-date, but he shows up as Norway at that point. The instant you start the game as him it flips back to "Denmark" without doing anything. Weird. :S

Hello.

Does anyone know if there is a way to check if a character has created a title? I want to create a nickname based on that and I'd prefer it if I could do it a little bit more dynamic instead of just adding it as an effect to every possible title creation.

Hello.

Does anyone know if there is a way to check if a character has created a title? I want to create a nickname based on that and I'd prefer it if I could do it a little bit more dynamic instead of just adding it as an effect to every possible title creation.

There doesn't seem to be a generic on_action command for creating a title, so I think you'll have to add it into them all.

I have a really basic question: Has anyone confirmed that the ai_chance modifiers are still multiplicative? I.e. that it still works like this:

Code:
ai_chance = {
        factor = 100      #Whatever value you want, i use 100
        days = 1          #a BASE value for modifiers to work.
        modifier = {
                factor = 0.25  #reduce chance to 1/4th if catholic
                religion = catholic
        }
      modifier = {
                factor = 5.0 #500% more likely to this if the province owner has a bad military monarch.
                owner = { NOT = { MIL = 4 } }
      }
        modifier = {
                factor = 1.5 #50% more likely is stability is 3.
                owner = { stability = 3 }
        }
}

Also, when using any_demesne/realm_province, do we have to first check that the character is has_landed_title = yes, or will the engine still understand it or just ignore it, if the character is unlanded? For example, let's say I have a event option trigger:
Code:
					religion = X
						any_demesne_province = {
							religion = X
If the event fires for an unlanded character of religion X, does the trigger:
  1. break the game, since I didn't check if he was landed before using the command
  2. return as true, because he is religion = X, and the game just ignores any_demesne_province for unlanded characters
  3. return as false, because he is unlanded and therefore has no demesne provinces of religion X

Last edited:
Inside the modifiers in the combat_tactics.txt file, what do these blocks actually mean:

Code:
light_troops = { 
				who = light_cavalry
				value = 0.5
			}

I get that they are a requirement for the modifier to have effect, but I don't really get what is required here. My best guess would be: "50% of your troops must be light cavalry"?

Modding newbie. Is an error report created after a CTD occurs? After much pain and tears I managed to get the CoA's to work for my mercenary mod, but am now suffering a CTD upon beginning a scenario. Is there a method of detecting an error in the text files?

link

Is there an equivalent for doing "holder=0" in history files for the province's "liege=d_schleigelhofen"? Need to make Jämtland become independent again.

Also:
How do I go about selecting the primary title of a character in the histories? Currently the King of Denmark holds both that crown and that of Norway at the start-date, but he shows up as Norway at that point. The instant you start the game as him it flips back to "Denmark" without doing anything. Weird. :S

Is there a way to check if there is a building in any given province or holding? I've looked through most of the events and decisions files and there doesn't seem to be any mention of such a feature. I noticed in the buildings.txt that some of the buildings have the condition "has_building = buildingX" within their start brackets, but I can't get it to work for events or decisions. What I'm trying to do is to add a flag or modifier to any province with building x, thanks in advance.

I'm having a really difficult time declaring war by event properly. Here's one of the options for the event...

Code:
option = {
	name = "God Wills It!"
		war = {
			target = k_seljuk_turks
			casus_belli = religious
			landed_title = d_jerusalem
		}
	}

I've tried a ton of different variations, even so far as using the "reverse_war" instead of war but the Holy War always shows up as (Event Receiver)'s Holy War Against King Seljuk for "------" the "------" being what is actually shown. It's not showing any sort of title at stake... the enforce demands is just a piety or prestige boost. Anyone have any ideas? I looked in the Mongol Events but the tribal_invasion cb doesn't need a landed_title at stake to work properly so isn't much help.

Is there a way to check if there is a building in any given province or holding? I've looked through most of the events and decisions files and there doesn't seem to be any mention of such a feature. I noticed in the buildings.txt that some of the buildings have the condition "has_building = buildingX" within their start brackets, but I can't get it to work for events or decisions. What I'm trying to do is to add a flag or modifier to any province with building x, thanks in advance.

They key is getting it in the right scope. If you want to fire the trigger from a province_event I think you could do something like (originally from rebel_events.txt)...

Code:
any_province_lord = {                       # Any Lord in the province being triggered
	any_demesne_title = {              # Any demesne owned by that lord
		location = {                    # scope specifies province
			province_id = ROOT # province checked is same as which triggered
		}
                tier = baron                   # must be bottom-level
		has_building = XXX         # demesne has building
	}
}

This is very similar to the trigger when rebels randomly destroy buildings in a province, but instead of checking for having >= 1 building, you replace it with a check for a particular building type. Then in the effect body just add whatever you wanted to happen.

andersonm said:
I'm having a really difficult time declaring war by event properly. Here's one of the options for the event...

You need to specify a character as the target, not a title.

Is there anyway of editing a save file? I'd like to edit the culture and religion of certain counties. (Muslims took and held all of southern Italy for less then a generation in my game but several counties have gone Bedouin and Shiite, Sunni. This is absurd.)

Yeah, use Wordpad not Notepad, I think, to get reasonable load/refresh times. No idea what you'd change or where it is, but it's how I created my future AAR game.

Could someone show me how to get the IF clause for this to work? Going to have some province modifiers to lower default province revolt risk as long as the ruler upholds traditions, but still want the revolt-risk to be higher if you try to force conversions. :)

At the moment it makes one of the Job-actions disappear from the menu and the Inquisition one doesn't show success chances:
courtchaplain.png

Code:
# Lord Spiritual
action_inquisition = {
	attribute = learning

trigger = {
		any_province_lord = {
			OR = {
				character = FROM
				is_liege_or_above = FROM
			}
		}
	}

hidden_tooltip = {
		if = {
			limit = { religion = norse_pagan }
			local_revolt_risk = 0.06
		}
	}

events = { 900 901 902 903 }
}

I'm not even sure if you can use that. The job_actions file is, as I understand it, not the same thing as an event. It only has trigger / modifier (multiplied by attribute) / event list.

To get the same effect I'd create a new event which would only trigger if a character of the same realm had the Inquisition job in the province, and apply a province modifier for the revolt risk increase if the character wasn't in the Norse religion.

Thanks for the fast reply, the rebel scope is indeed what I'm looking for. I'm having problems though with applying the effect to said province. When plainly trying to add the modifier to the province in an option the games crashes. I suspect this is because the scope of the event (which checks baronies) is trying to apply a province modifier to baronies, which obviously doesn't work. I've tried changing the option effect to target the province at the COUNT tier instead. This fixes the crashing issue once the event fires but the province modifier still isn't applied. Maybe I've overlooked something?

Code:
 province_event = {
	id = 10000001
	desc = "EVTDESC10000001"
	picture = GFX_evt_lovers

trigger = {
	    any_province_lord = {
		    any_demesne_title = {
			    location = {
				    province_id = ROOT
			    }
				tier = baron
			    has_building = library
		   }
	    }
      }

mean_time_to_happen = {
		days = -1
	}

option = {
		name = "EVTOPTA10000001"
    	any_demesne_title = {
		    location = {
			    province_id = ROOT
		     }
			tier = COUNT
		    add_province_modifier = library
           }
	}
}

You're in the wrong scope for the province, yeah. If you wanted to mess with a province you'd need to go back into province scope with "location". However, if it's a province event that's what your ROOT will be so...Try something like this in your option tags:

Code:
option = {
    name = "EVTOPTA10000001"
    add_province_modifier = library
}

I think that'll work.

EDIT: I'm not familiar with using negatives for MTTH. That might be invalid? How is this event supposed to be triggered?