• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Can I make certain traits get opinion boosts from people with other traits? If I wanted to make a Good Video Gamer trait, that gets an opinion boost from people with the Giant Nerd trait, is that possible? (The example was decided on at random)

Yes. You'll most likely have to define your own modifier(s) unless it's a trait vanilla has done it for, but that's easily done; see this. It even works for non-vanilla traits.

• 1Like
Reactions:
You are incredible, thank you! I hate modifying CBs, I always mess something up.

I'll give as much information as I can:

1) I was trying to arrange a marriage between two people of my court, but it sometimes doesn't work even if I arrange a marriage between someone of my court and someone else.

2) The character was a Cathar with the heritable 'elf' trait. I've found that characters with the heritable dwarf trait also have some difficulties.

3) I could marry regular humans and some races with other traits.

4) The AI with these traits do not seem to be marrying at all.

5) I can see no other commonalities.
It's possible those traits have a "Do not marry" flag on them. It's possible there are hidden events firing behind the scenes which annuls any marriage between certain people (i.e. elves and dwarves), assuming this elf/dwarf mod isn't one you made yourself.

This probably isn't what's happening to you, but if you select to Arrange Marriage with someone, then change to Arrange Betrothal without closing and reopening the pop-up dialogue first, the game won't show you the proper candidates, and vice versa.

It's possible those traits have a "Do not marry" flag on them. It's possible there are hidden events firing behind the scenes which annuls any marriage between certain people (i.e. elves and dwarves), assuming this elf/dwarf mod isn't one you made yourself.

This probably isn't what's happening to you, but if you select to Arrange Marriage with someone, then change to Arrange Betrothal without closing and reopening the pop-up dialogue first, the game won't show you the proper candidates, and vice versa.

Checked the traits already, didn't see anything. And I thought I had deleted the do not marry event, but it is possible I missed something. I'll take another sweep!

And thank you to every person who has taken the time to answer my questions. I recently started working on a mod for fun, but the mod has grown in the making. It has been many, many years since I did any serious modding, so I apologise if some of my questions are very basic.

Last edited:
Time for another undoubtedly silly question! I'm trying to make some provinces have certain buildings, and I've copied exactly how other province files handle buildings, and yet I can't seem to get any to actually be built. Here is an example of some buildings I've tried to add in Paris:

936.1.1 = {
b_melun = ca_keep_1
b_melun = ca_training_grounds_1
b_melun = ca_desert_stable_1
b_melun = ca_wall_1
b_melun = ca_wall_2
b_melun = ca_militia_barracks_1 }

Why isn't this working?

Some localisation question:

- Am I correct that the localisation priority is as follows (highest to lowest)?

Code:
<any title-specific ruler title>
<government_prefix>_emperor_<religion>
<government_prefix>_emperor_<religion_group>
<government_prefix>_emperor_<culture>
<government_prefix>_emperor_<culture_group>
<government_prefix>_emperor
emperor_<religion>
emperor_<religion_group>
emperor_<culture>
emperor_<culture_group>
emperor

- Does this order hold for every variant (empire, empire of, emperor_female, etc., etc.)?

- If a title has title-specific ruler title, how would one best go about having specific subsets of rulers not use this localization? customizable_localisation with the fallback being the specific localisation?

Some localisation question:

- Am I correct that the localisation priority is as follows (highest to lowest)?

Code:
<any title-specific ruler title>
<government_prefix>_emperor_<religion>
<government_prefix>_emperor_<religion_group>
<government_prefix>_emperor_<culture>
<government_prefix>_emperor_<culture_group>
<government_prefix>_emperor
emperor_<religion>
emperor_<religion_group>
emperor_<culture>
emperor_<culture_group>
emperor

- Does this order hold for every variant (empire, empire of, emperor_female, etc., etc.)?

- If a title has title-specific ruler title, how would one best go about having specific subsets of rulers not use this localization? customizable_localisation with the fallback being the specific localisation?

1. As far as I know, that's how it works.
2. Custom loc is a possibility, but it's likely it's not evaluated (properly) everywhere in the game's interface. Most UI loc only has ROOT provided, which is the player, not the character, title or province you might expect to be provided.

Quick question: How do I make a specific branch of a religion like or dislike specific traits? For instance,

nestorian_opinion = 50 (or -50!9

That certainly feels like it should work, because, well, I've done it for another trait and another religion! But I cannot get it to work for Nestorians. Any advice?

Quick question: How do I make a specific branch of a religion like or dislike specific traits? For instance,

nestorian_opinion = 50 (or -50!9

That certainly feels like it should work, because, well, I've done it for another trait and another religion! But I cannot get it to work for Nestorians. Any advice?

Is nestorian_opinion defined?

Final question, I think, because I'm pretty satisfied with the state of my mod.

The only problem, and I admit it is a huge one: I can't load up saves! The game crashes when I try. Has anyone seen something like this before? What might be causing it?

Final question, I think, because I'm pretty satisfied with the state of my mod.

The only problem, and I admit it is a huge one: I can't load up saves! The game crashes when I try. Has anyone seen something like this before? What might be causing it?
Should be able to check crash logs. I'd also recommend getting the Validator and running your mod through that for errors.

For your other question, is the barony actually a castle?

Should be able to check crash logs. I'd also recommend getting the Validator and running your mod through that for errors.

For your other question, is the barony actually a castle?

The Validator wasn't super helpful, but I was able to fix the issue on my own.

And yes, it is.

Time for another undoubtedly silly question! I'm trying to make some provinces have certain buildings, and I've copied exactly how other province files handle buildings, and yet I can't seem to get any to actually be built. Here is an example of some buildings I've tried to add in Paris:
b_melun = ca_militia_barracks_1 }

All i see is the bracket at the end of the last line instead of below where it should be.
No idea if relevant.

Is there a way to spawn characters who have no titles or ties (marriages or fathers or mothers or etc) in specific courts? Maybe I'm blind, but I cannot find anything..
Isnt that how for example how the turkish conquerors spawn ? Maybe you could take example from them.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Because I am a glutton for punishment, I decided to try and import an ethnicity/new portraits from another mod to mine. Don't worry, I'm probably not going to publish this, so there's no need to fear me tripping on the toes of some actually decent mod creator.

I've done everything I can think of, but I can't get the portrait to be anything but blank! I created a character with the new ethnicity, but when I go to select him, the frame is there, but the inside of the frame is blank.

I bet this is beyond me and I'll just need to back off, but if there is an easy fix to this problem that'd be great!

Last edited:
Because I am a glutton for punishment, I decided to try and import an ethnicity/new portraits from another mod to mine. Don't worry, I'm probably not going to publish this, so there's no need to fear.

I've done everything I can think of, but I can't get the portrait to be anything but blank! I created a character with the new ethnicity, but when I go to select him, the frame is there, but the inside of the frame is blank.

I bet this is beyond me and I'll just need to back off, but if there is an easy fix to this problem that'd be great!
Probably you did something wrong when you did the "import", probably because you skipped too many intermediate steps. (Eg: Perhaps you didn't correctly identify the full list of files that are required for portrait changes to work, so you didn't copy some vital files over to your mod.)

It might be useful to try a more systematic approach:
  • Revert to a setup where you have both "the other mod" and "your mod without portrait changes" active.
    • Check that the portraits work as intended. (If not, go back and fix the problem with "your mod".)
  • Delete everything except portraits from "the other mod"
    • Check that the portraits still work as intended. (If not, revert "the other mod" to the known-good version and delete fewer things this time.)
  • Copy everything from the modified "other mod" into "your mod", and disable the "other mod".
    • Check that the portraits work as intended. (If not... well, I don't see how this stupidly-simple step can go wrong if the previous ones succeeded.)

• 1Like
Reactions:
Probably you did something wrong when you did the "import", probably because you skipped too many intermediate steps. (Eg: Perhaps you didn't correctly identify the full list of files that are required for portrait changes to work, so you didn't copy some vital files over to your mod.)

It might be useful to try a more systematic approach:
  • Revert to a setup where you have both "the other mod" and "your mod without portrait changes" active.
    • Check that the portraits work as intended. (If not, go back and fix the problem with "your mod".)
  • Delete everything except portraits from "the other mod"
    • Check that the portraits still work as intended. (If not, revert "the other mod" to the known-good version and delete fewer things this time.)
  • Copy everything from the modified "other mod" into "your mod", and disable the "other mod".
    • Check that the portraits work as intended. (If not... well, I don't see how this stupidly-simple step can go wrong if the previous ones succeeded.)

Yeah, I was afraid of that.

Anyways, I did it, and it took me a little while, but I succeed. Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it.

• 1Like
Reactions: