• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
If you add new graphicalculturetypes (see common\graphicalculturetypes), you can probably set different map CoA's per culture. See how they're selected in interface\mapitems.gfx.
Could it work? In my last attempts the emblem is following graphical_culture defined in religion of holder, regardless the culture.
I'll do some tests later, it was nearly two years ago when I fiddle with emblems. So I might be wrong since then.

Could it work? In my last attempts the emblem is following graphical_culture defined in religion of holder, regardless the culture.
I'll do some tests later, it was nearly two years ago when I fiddle with emblems. So I might be wrong since then.
You may very well be right here. If that's what it follows, that's very disappointing.

Since it seems all methods of beating the mongols or china involve some very gamey actions, I'd like to go all way and simply remove their attrition-immunity. How would one go about doing that? Remove all instances of "Horde = yes"?

Hello, back again with two more issues if anyone can assist! The Imgur album below has visual evidence of the issues I'm having but I'll also post it below in text.

I've been running into a nasty issue with my government type frames when in-game. If I play as a Japanese ruler with the japanese_feudal system my own japanese cultured frames appear fine but when I click on a non-japanese feudal ruler they appear to mimic the same frames as if they were japanese_feudal... the only temporary fix to this is to click on a Muslim/Catholic King/Emperor and then they'll revert back to their normal feudal frames.

Also, when playing as a non-japanese ruler my own Japanese cultured rulers I've created will appear to have the proper titles for their culture until I unpause the game on game start... then they'll revert to regional cultural titles for their rank.. any idea why?
This visual bug occured to me when I referenced the same asset twice in the gfx file.

If your issue is similar to mine, just use the frame_suffix = "" that the government you are borrowing frames from is using in the common/governments file instead of adding a new spriteTypes entry and you should be good.

Since it seems all methods of beating the mongols or china involve some very gamey actions, I'd like to go all way and simply remove their attrition-immunity. How would one go about doing that? Remove all instances of "Horde = yes"?
For China, look at china_war_spawn_troops_no_disband_effect in common\scripted_effects\00_scripted_effects and set attrition to 1.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Is there any way to implement a levy upkeep modifier? It can be for character or province or holding, doesn't really matter. But there only seem to be modifiers for horde troops and retinues, not levies, and I can't figure out a way to work around that.

Not possible. But it's possible for being defined by title, like e_hre has eagle emblem among generic catholic emblem.
I ended up doing it by title which was much less maddening.
For anyone else in the future, all the various frame types are defined in interface\mapitems.gfx
Tossed this into my mod folder..

interface\mapitems_mod.gfx
Code:
objectTypes = {
### Custom CoA Frames ###

### Kingdoms ###

EMFXActorType = {
        name = "k_YOURDESIREDTITLEHERE"
        actorfile = "gfx\models\Shields\india_king_shield.xac"
        scale = 0.9f
        use_animation = no
        cull_distance = 550.0f
        scale_on_cull_distance = no
    }

.. and it worked like a charm. Not a perfect solution but it works. The title keeps its frame even if the religion changes. Only for map frames though.

I am looking for a way to reduce the amount of time of reduced levies and taxes after a county has been conquered, aka the "recently conquered" and "new administration" penalties.
Look at OCCUPATION_PENALTY_MONTHS and similar defines in common\defines.lua.

Thank, found it.
These are the base numbers that the Wiki also states. It further says "The duration is the longest of" either the religion or the culture penalty. The game, though, stacks both, leading to a max duration of 25 years (? I think I saw even 26 years before).
I would like to change that to the Wiki's definition.
Any ideas?

The second problem I just ran into in my game is a bit more complicated:
I, a Sunni Berber, conquered a county by holy war that is Andalusian Sunni. However, it was conquered shortly before by Visigoth Catholics. Through that previous event it got a very long New Admin penalty.
Now I would expect me to get a NewAdmin penalty of years (different culture). Instead the old modifier stays for the city, that still has the old Christian holder. That remains the case even after I removed the Christian mayor and replaced him with a Berber Sunni.
The capital which is now my personal demesne has a NewAdmin penalty of 6.5 years, something that I cannot compute out of the base numbers in defines.lua at all.
So unless the actual penalty calculations are hardcoded I would like to implement some changes for similar situations, too.

Does anyone know how to check if an army is in the same location as a character? A workaround is to compare the location with the army leaders (any_unit_leader) to compare with the location of the other character, but sometimes you have armies with no leaders

NVM; I solved it myself:
Code:
army_scope = { #fill it with the one needed
    limit = {
        location = {
            ROOT = { at_location = PREV }
        }
    }
}

Last edited:
Is there any way to remove the cannot declare war when you have levies raised condition? I looked in cb_types folder in common, and search all the decisions files for the terms "has_raised" (has_raised_levies and has_raised_standing_troops), "levies" (has_raised_levies and realm_levies), "troops" and couldn't find any where those conditions are used to prevent you from declaring war other than for one decision in a jade dragon file.

Where else should I look?

Is there any way to remove the cannot declare war when you have levies raised condition? I looked in cb_types folder in common, and search all the decisions files for the terms "has_raised" (has_raised_levies and has_raised_standing_troops), "levies" (has_raised_levies and realm_levies), "troops" and couldn't find any where those conditions are used to prevent you from declaring war other than for one decision in a jade dragon file.

Where else should I look?
I suspect it's entirely hardcoded. defines.lua is your best.

After doing a lot of investigating I finally found how to add investiture to a religion that isn't catholic or fraticelli.

In the religion file you need to add "investiture = yes" to your desired religion.

Then you need to edit "succession_laws.txt" in common/laws/ directory. You need to edit "succ_open_elective" and "succ_catholic_bishopric" sections.

In "succ_open_elective" you should exclude your desired religion like how you see catholic and fraticelli is in the potential scope.

Code:
OR = {
                is_landless_type_title = yes
                holder_scope = { is_theocracy = no }
                holder_scope = {
                    NOT = { religion = catholic }
                    NOT = { religion = fraticelli }
                }
            }

Then in "succ_catholic_bishopric" allow your religion into the potential scope in the same section that catholic and fraticelli is.

Code:
potential = {
            is_landless_type_title = no
            OR = {
                AND = {
                    tier = baron
                    is_theocracy = yes
                }
                holder_scope = { is_theocracy = yes }
            }

holder_scope = {
                OR = {
                    religion = catholic
                    religion = fraticelli
                }
                is_merchant_republic = no
                OR = {
                    independent = yes
                    is_feudal = no
                    NOT = {
                        any_liege = {
                            holy_order = yes
                        }
                    }
                }
            }

Then in "crown_laws.txt" do basically the same thing. Just include your religion under the "investiture_law_1" code where you see catholic and fraticelli

Code:
investiture_law_1 = {
        show_as_title = yes
        rel_head_opinion = -30
        free_invest_vassal_opinion = 10 # vassals with bishops will appreciate this law
        temple_all_opinion = 10 # Bishops will tend to be more loyal to the Crown
        group = investiture_law
        potential = {
            holder_scope = {
                OR = {
                    religion = catholic
                    religion = fraticelli
                }
                is_tribal = no
                is_nomadic = no
                NOT = {
                    rightful_religious_head_scope = {
                        character = ROOT
                    }
                }
            }
        }

What all of this does is allow your religion to have investiture, and tells the game any bishop titles that are controlled by your religion is not allow to have open elective succession (the succession type of mayors) and that the next available succession type is the catholic bishop succession.

So here is the part that a lot of people get stuck on. How to add it in mid game.

Open up your save game and find your primary title. then add " law="investiture_law_1" " into the laws sections of your title. Make sure to put it in the exact spot you see below, cause if you put it out of order or else where, when you open up the religion tab the nominate button will be grayed out.

Code:
k_persia=
        {
            holder=2608670
            succession=tanistry
            gender=true_cognatic
            law="centralization_0"
            law="law_voting_power_0"
            law="war_voting_power_0"
            law="revoke_title_voting_power_0"
            law="imprison_voting_power_0"
            law="grant_title_voting_power_0"
            law="banish_voting_power_0"
            law="execution_voting_power_0"
            law="revoke_title_law_0"
            law="vassal_wars_law_0"
            law="tax_levy_law_feudal_4"
            law="tax_levy_law_republic_4"
            law="tax_levy_law_theocracy_4"
            law="tax_levy_law_tribal_4"
            law="investiture_law_1"
            law="succ_tanistry"
            law="vice_royalty_0"
            law="succession_voting_power_0"
            law="out_of_realm_inheritance_law_0"
            law="ze_administration_laws_1"
            law="true_cognatic_succession"

So one of the issues you will find is that after doing all of that, none of your bishop titles show up under your religion tab. This is because right now all of your bishop titles have some other succession type instead of the "succ_catholic_bishopric" succession type. Sadly there is no quick any easy way to fix this via just save game editing. Cause there is no way to quickly just change all your bishop titles to "succ_catholic_bishopric" since most of them probably show up as "succ_open_elective" which is the same type of succession cities and holy orders have, so you can't just search and press replace all in notepad++. Though whenever the ownership of the title changes, as in when it gets transferred to the next holder, the game reevaluates what type of succession is valid for the title. So whenever your bishop dies or abdicates the title, the game will automatically change the title to "succ_catholic_bishopric", which will then finally let you nominate the next successor.

So there is a couple ways you can go about to fixing this.

1. You can go about killing all your of bishops or revoke all the titles or demanding that the convert to your religion which will cause a new NPC to usurp the bishop title from the current holder and change the succession type. You can also cheat and use console commands to change your bishops religion manually.

2. Create a cheat decision that toggles all your bishops religions to yours, then in game use the console to change your religion to a different religion, use the decision to change your bishops to your religion which causes the game to generate all new bishops with the new religion, then change your religion back to your desired religion, then use the decision again which then causes the game to generate all new bishops with your desired religion with the right succession type now. As you can see the down side of this is you lose all of your current bishop vassals who then go to all random courts. So if you have any bishop vassals you like in particular make sure you note them down before you do this and just use the "move" console command or decision in the "sketchy cheat menu" mod to take back the vassals / courtiers that you like and would like to nominate.

3. Be lazy and just search for what your bishop title's succession type is, and just hit replace all on it with "succ_catholic_bishopric" in your save game file. This will mess up the succession of all the cities, temples, and holy orders for everyone, and allow you to even nominate your current mayors' successors one time. Then in theory the game should fix itself after the current holder of whatever title's succession you just messed up dies or abdicates when the game re-checks for valid succession types.

Last edited:
to add investiture to a religion that isn't catholic or fraticelli.
Actually, only christian group can apply investiture by this method.
I was trying to make a doctrine that add investiture for reformed pagan, but it seems not possible.
Other religion lacks the appointment button in their UI entry, which is hard-coded and is required to open a window for nomination.
I tried manually add the button but it won't work, much as expected.

As for succession law, is_law_potential can be use in possible block in open_elective_succession to exclude bishops from adopting it after law changes.
So you need no more killing then.

Last edited:
Actually, only christian group can apply investiture by this method.
I was trying to make a doctrine that add investiture for reformed pagan, but it seems not possible.
Other religion lacks the appointment button in their UI entry, which is hard-coded and is required to open a window for nomination.
I tried manually add the button but I won't work, much as expected.

Unless it's been changed (I've not played as the relevant religions, but some dev diaries and the game files indicate it's still a thing) AtEFF uses cardinal equivalents (and I believe investiture) for a couple of religions outside christian_group (as well as two religions in that group), one of them a reformed pagan religion if they pick Hierocratic (Druidic, a.k.a. celtic_pagan_reformed; not to be confused with Cetic), so it should be possible to make it work in some other way if the approach above doesn't work.

Last edited:
one of them a reformed pagan religion if they pick Hierocratic (Druidic, a.k.a. celtic_pagan_reformed; not to be confused with Cetic), so it should be possible to make it work in some other way if the approach above doesn't work.
Wow that sounds intrigue. Thanks for sharing and I'll have a look into AtEFF. I can always benefit from senior modder!

What does "has_religion_feature = religion_equal" check for? How do I give a religion the religion_equal feature? Is it the "feminist = yes" command in the religion file?

It checks for an identically named religion feature (Nature, Doctrine, or Leadership) having been applied to the religion, which can only be applied during a HF reformation or when setting up a religion using Random World. You can give a religion some or all of the things related a certain feature in other ways (e.g. adding women_can_take_consorts = yes to the religion definition if you want women to have consorts), though it is sometimes a bit messy (some things are scattered over several files, for one thing), and has_religion_feature won't understand what you've done, meaning you might have to put it in an OR block alongside an explicit check for your religion or the like wherever it shows up (which sometimes can be a lot of files).