• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Is there a command that lets you temporarily move a character to a certain location? Not just moving them to a pool, but to a specific location. I was thinking along the lines of visits to friends/allies/relatives. And not just for councilors either - diplomats are fun and all, having them present at a certain location would be more immersive that relying on event targets

• 1Like
Reactions:
Is there a command that lets you temporarily move a character to a certain location? Not just moving them to a pool, but to a specific location. I was thinking along the lines of visits to friends/allies/relatives. And not just for councilors either - diplomats are fun and all, having them present at a certain location would be more immersive that relying on event targets

Have you tried using visit_court_of? It should set him as a guest of the specified character, but should leave his liege relationships in tact. You should then be able to use return_to_court to send him back home when you want to.

You might find it useful to look at the Varangian Guard event chain.

Reactions:
Got a couple of things I'm struggling with atm

Errorhoof says "click me to show you them [the errors]" but clicking doesn't seem to do anything. Do I need to set any additional launch options other than the "-debug_mode -develop " options I've already set?

Is there any way to create alliances in the history files so that the game starts with alliances (especially those unrelated to marriage) in place. I've tried using "create_alliance = <target>" in each character's history entry but that didn't do anything. Am I missing something or will I need a day 1 event to set all the alliances?

How can i make,that a character doesnt gets a wife and children till game start ?

If you want to disable family generation globally (or for players), you can do that with the 'Generate Families' rule. Disabling it for a specific character is trickier, but fortunately the existing generation function provides a template for how you can do so, since it already specifically excludes Matilda of Tuscany. So take a look at game_rule.1001 in events/game_rule_events.txt and overwrite it as necessary in your mod. :)

Is there any way to create alliances in the history files so that the game starts with alliances (especially those unrelated to marriage) in place. I've tried using "create_alliance = <target>" in each character's history entry but that didn't do anything. Am I missing something or will I need a day 1 event to set all the alliances?

I presume the latter, though rather than worrying about coding an event, I'd make an on action and call it from on_game_start.

Code:
# common/on_action/historic_alliances.txt

establish_alliances = {
    # Do stuff
}

on_game_start = {
    on_actions = {
        establish_alliances
    }
}

Last edited:
Have you tried using visit_court_of? It should set him as a guest of the specified character, but should leave his liege relationships in tact. You should then be able to use return_to_court to send him back home when you want to.
haven't really tried anything, I'm basically in a planning phase. But hm, I guess it could work, except I don't think it'll work with rulers though :(

Hi everyone! My little mod is nearly ready for its first release (some point next week! Excited!) and in my big long playthrough/playtest I came across something a bit odd.

In the Roman culture in-game, titles are made suitably latin. So Count becomes Comes, Duke becomes Dux, and King becomes Rex. Only the thing about the Romans is they had a serious hangup over the idea of kingship, to the point where Augustus and his successors had to bend over backwards to try and avoid being called 'king' or anything like it.

So I thought I'd head into the localization file and change a few names for the Roman culture. Maybe kings can be governors, or somesuch. When I looked at the culture_titles_l_english,yml I found, to my surprise, that alongside the feudal Roman titles were a second set under the heading #viceroyalty. Here they are for Roman culture:
Code:
# Viceroyalty
baron_viceroyalty_male_roman:0 "Governor"
baron_viceroyalty_female_roman:0 "Governess"
barony_viceroyalty_roman:0 "Province"
count_viceroyalty_male_roman:0 "Governor"
count_viceroyalty_female_roman:0 "Governess"
county_viceroyalty_roman:0 "Province"
duke_viceroyalty_male_roman:0 "Governor"
duke_viceroyalty_female_roman:0 "Governess"
duchy_viceroyalty_roman:0 "Province"
king_viceroyalty_male_roman:1 "Vicar"
king_viceroyalty_female_roman:1 "Vicarissa"
kingdom_viceroyalty_roman:1 "Diocese"
emperor_viceroyalty_male_roman:0 "Princeps"
emperor_viceroyalty_female_roman:1 "Principissa"
empire_viceroyalty_roman:0 "Principate"

...and there's also versions for Greek/Byzantine culture:
Code:
# Viceroyalty
duke_viceroyalty_male_byzantine_group:0 "Strategos"
duke_viceroyalty_female_byzantine_group:0 "Strategitissa"
duchy_viceroyalty_byzantine_group:0 "Theme"
king_viceroyalty_male_byzantine_group:0 "Exarch"
king_viceroyalty_female_byzantine_group:0 "Exarchessa"
king_viceroyalty_byzantine_group:0 "Exarchate"
emperor_viceroyalty_male_byzantine_group:0 "Grand Exarch"
emperor_viceroyalty_female_byzantine_group:0 "Grand Exarchessa"
empire_viceroyalty_byzantine_group:0 "Grand Exarchate"

So what's going on here? I've never seen these used in-game, and presumably they refer to a different government type than Feudal. Is there a secret government type for Roman and Byzantine empires that's so well hidden to be invisible? Or is this a holdover from CK2's Roman expansion from way back and is inactive?

By the name 'viceroyalty' I would assume they're supposed to change depending on being independent or a vassal. So an independent Roman king-tier character would be a Rex, but if they were vassal to the Emperor would become Vicar*.

Can anyone shed any light on this? Is it worth delving further in or should I just start renaming the feudal-government titles?

EDIT: A little further poking around shows that the word 'viceroyalty' only appears outside of localization once, and as a #heading without any actual implementation in that file. So whatever the plan was or is, those titles are currently not in use. I suppose that I could earmark this for v2.0, having titles change depending on whether they're vassals or independent, but for now I think a simple solution of renaming 'Rex' as 'Governor' is a good first step. I also wonder if the inevitable China DLC will bring in a new system of government more suitable for Byzantine and Roman empires as well, and this will all have to change before long. Probably.

*There's further issues created by baron, count and duke-tier titles all coming out as 'governor' but that's by the bye.

Last edited:
Hi everyone! My little mod is nearly ready for its first release (some point next week! Excited!) and in my big long playthrough/playtest I came across something a bit odd.

In the Roman culture in-game, titles are made suitably latin. So Count becomes Comes, Duke becomes Dux, and King becomes Rex. Only the thing about the Romans is they had a serious hangup over the idea of kingship, to the point where Augustus and his successors had to bend over backwards to try and avoid being called 'king' or anything like it.

So I thought I'd head into the localization file and change a few names for the Roman culture. Maybe kings can be governors, or somesuch. When I looked at the culture_titles_l_english,yml I found, to my surprise, that alongside the feudal Roman titles were a second set under the heading #viceroyalty. Here they are for Roman culture:
Code:
# Viceroyalty

Code:
# Viceroyalty

So what's going on here? I've never seen these used in-game, and presumably they refer to a different government type than Feudal. Is there a secret government type for Roman and Byzantine empires that's so well hidden to be invisible? Or is this a holdover from CK2's Roman expansion from way back and is inactive?

By the name 'viceroyalty' I would assume they're supposed to change depending on being independent or a vassal. So an independent Roman king-tier character would be a Rex, but if they were vassal to the Emperor would become Vicar*.

Can anyone shed any light on this? Is it worth delving further in or should I just start renaming the feudal-government titles?

EDIT: A little further poking around shows that the word 'viceroyalty' only appears outside of localization once, and as a #heading without any actual implementation in that file. So whatever the plan was or is, those titles are currently not in use. I suppose that I could earmark this for v2.0, having titles change depending on whether they're vassals or independent, but for now I think a simple solution of renaming 'Rex' as 'Governor' is a good first step. I also wonder if the inevitable China DLC will bring in a new system of government more suitable for Byzantine and Roman empires as well, and this will all have to change before long. Probably.

*There's further issues created by baron, count and duke-tier titles all coming out as 'governor' but that's by the bye.

I don't really have anything to add about how they're used (or not used), but there're also several functions and events relating to Byzantine elective government, which don't seem to actually be implemented, but which use the CK3 script format rather than the CK2 format, so even if it is a holdover from CK2, it was obviously adapted with CK3 in mind. My guess is that much like we had in CK2, there's probably going to be a Byzantine-focused expansion later down the line (fingers crossed, anyway, I do love my Roman boys!), and these localizations and functions are just being unused for the time being.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Is it possible to lock a faith so that you can't adopt it normally until at least one character has been given it by event, without completely locking down the ability to adopt a dead faith?

(e.g. if there is a faith Z, I don't want you to be able to resurrect Z-ism just by taking a learning build and dumping a buttload of piety.)

• 1Like
Reactions:

Code:
# Viceroyalty

Code:
# Viceroyalty

As you worked out, these keys aren't actually in use. This sort of thing is controlled in common/flavorization/00_title_holders.txt though

I suspect it's just a holdover from ck2 with a mechanic that hasn't yet been implemented (similarly the history files have lots of references to tributaries, which also don't exist yet)

• 1Like
Reactions:
So I'm trying to set it up so that every character created of a specific culture has a specific trait, and I can't manage to do it. I either want to get that working, or regularly sweep through and add the trait to the folks that should have it.

As discussed earlier in the thread I added potential and random creation:

Code:
elf_blood = {
    index = 10001
    #genetic = yes
    physical = yes
    inherit_chance = 100
    potential = {
        OR = {
            culture = culture:high_elf
            any_parent = { has_trait = elf_blood }
        }
    }
    random_creation = 100
    compatibility = {
    }
}

The potential seems to work (to the point where if I use the debug console to add the trait to a character that doesn't have the potential, it will not add). But the random_creation = 100 doesn't seem to cut it. If I randomly generate a character, something like 1 in 5 will have the trait, instead of 100%. And either way I have to deal with characters that aren't quite randomly generated, but are still just created out of the ether instead of born.

Assuming there isn't an ability to get everyone generated to have the trait on creation, I'm thinking I'll add a pulse to find the characters in existence and give them the trait they should've got at creation. My problem is finding people that are generated. There doesn't appear to be any flag or property showing they were generated instead of born, so I'm currently trying to find ones that have no parents, which isn't working.

Here's the temp decision I've been using to get the list of characters that will be effected:

Code:
fix_gnomes_decision = {
    picture = "gfx/interface/illustrations/decisions/laststand.dds"
    title = "Fix Gnomes"
    desc = "Add gnome trait to characters that should have it"
    is_shown = {
        has_trait = gnomeblood
    }

effect = {
        every_living_character = {
            limit = {
                culture = culture:gnome
            }
            if = {
                limit = {
                    nand = {
                        has_trait = gnomeblood
                        has_trait = giant
                        any_parent = {}
                    }

}
                add_trait = gnomeblood
            }

}
    }
    cost = {
    }

}

It'll find people that don't have the gnome trait and are gnomish, but it'll include people that were born (and have normal parents and so obviously shouldn't get it). I can't figure out what to check to only find people that were generated vs born. Help?

Is it possible to lock a faith so that you can't adopt it normally until at least one character has been given it by event, without completely locking down the ability to adopt a dead faith?

(e.g. if there is a faith Z, I don't want you to be able to resurrect Z-ism just by taking a learning build and dumping a buttload of piety.)
I would have thought the easiest way would have been to create a flag as part of your event and then added the flag requirement as part of the religion conversion event potential, but maybe I am misunderstanding what it is you are hoping for.

I would have thought the easiest way would have been to create a flag as part of your event and then added the flag requirement as part of the religion conversion event potential, but maybe I am misunderstanding what it is you are hoping for.
At game start, the faith will have no members, no dead historical members, and no provinces (and will be in its own religion).

Later, an event will fire that causes some initial conversions.

Until that event fires, I would like to stop the player from adopting the faith through the Religion screen but I would also like, if I can, to not stop them from adopting Hellenic paganism (or other dead-religion faiths).

So I'm trying to set it up so that every character created of a specific culture has a specific trait, and I can't manage to do it. I either want to get that working, or regularly sweep through and add the trait to the folks that should have it.

As discussed earlier in the thread I added potential and random creation:

Code:
elf_blood = {
    index = 10001
    #genetic = yes
    physical = yes
    inherit_chance = 100
    potential = {
        OR = {
            culture = culture:high_elf
            any_parent = { has_trait = elf_blood }
        }
    }
    random_creation = 100
    compatibility = {
    }
}

The potential seems to work (to the point where if I use the debug console to add the trait to a character that doesn't have the potential, it will not add). But the random_creation = 100 doesn't seem to cut it. If I randomly generate a character, something like 1 in 5 will have the trait, instead of 100%. And either way I have to deal with characters that aren't quite randomly generated, but are still just created out of the ether instead of born.

Assuming there isn't an ability to get everyone generated to have the trait on creation, I'm thinking I'll add a pulse to find the characters in existence and give them the trait they should've got at creation. My problem is finding people that are generated. There doesn't appear to be any flag or property showing they were generated instead of born, so I'm currently trying to find ones that have no parents, which isn't working.

Here's the temp decision I've been using to get the list of characters that will be effected:

Code:
fix_gnomes_decision = {
    picture = "gfx/interface/illustrations/decisions/laststand.dds"
    title = "Fix Gnomes"
    desc = "Add gnome trait to characters that should have it"
    is_shown = {
        has_trait = gnomeblood
    }

effect = {
            limit = {
                culture = culture:gnome
            }
            if = {
                limit = {
                    nand = {
                        has_trait = gnomeblood
                        has_trait = giant
                        any_parent = {}
                    }

}
                add_trait = gnomeblood
            }

}
    }
    cost = {
    }

}

It'll find people that don't have the gnome trait and are gnomish, but it'll include people that were born (and have normal parents and so obviously shouldn't get it). I can't figure out what to check to only find people that were generated vs born. Help?

I'm confused as to why you're looking for the parents or whether the character is generated in the first place. If the trait is supposed to be generational and transmitted to children if even one parent has it, then every character of this culture that is naturally born (and their descendants) would get the trait as it is. So to cover the generated characters as well all you'd need to look for is them having the correct culture AND not having the trait. I also don't really see the point of writing an "if" function immediately after every_living_character that already has it's own limit. So the way I'd write it would be just:
Code:
    limit = {
        AND = {
            has_culture = culture:gnome
            NOT = {
                has_trait = gnomeblood
            }
        }
    }
    add_trait = gnomeblood
}

If you really need the parent check there for some reason, replace the NOT with NAND and add exists = mother and exists = father lines there.

EDIT: Also, since I am also playing with traits pertaining to specific cultures (well, culture groups) and forgot to cover randomly created characters, I made a little test event for create_character, which seems to work just fine.

So, if you don't want to leave things to yearly pulse on action (in cases the created character reproduces and dies before the pulse hits them, although in your mod's case this should be covered by the trait's potential I suppose) and feel you should be more thorough, you could go through every instance of create_character being used in the game files and add the following piece of code there:
Code:
scope:created_character_scope = {
    if = {
        limit = {
        }
        add_trait = gnomeblood
    }
}
I didn't go through every file that uses create_character yet, but I assume every instance of that would save the created character as a scope. They are created for a reason after all and to fulfill that reason you'd need a scope to do things with the created character. There are overall 169 instances of create_character being used in the game. But some add specific characters or are related to things like the Mongol and Almohad invasions, so you can safely ignore them, I assume. Also, I don't know what the mod you're working on does in particular, but if no characters of your culture will exist at game start, you can ignore those instances as well.

Last edited:
I'm confused as to why you're looking for the parents or whether the character is generated in the first place. If the trait is supposed to be generational and transmitted to children if even one parent has it, then every character of this culture that is naturally born (and their descendants) would get the trait as it is. So to cover the generated characters as well all you'd need to look for is them having the correct culture AND not having the trait.

If two humans have a kid, they'll be human, and that kid shouldn't become a gnome, even if they get educated to convert their culture to gnomish. People born from gnome parents get the trait fine, but generated characters need to always get it too. I don't want people who were born and have the gnomish culture to get the trait if their parents don't, because someone's guardian shouldn't be able to make a teenager 3 feet shorter.

Thanks for the help. For future google search reference, this was the result:

Code:
yearly_global_pulse = {
    effect = {
            limit = {
                AND = {
                    NOT = {has_trait = gnomeblood}
                    NOR = {
                        exists = mother
                        exists = father
                    }
                }
            }
            add_trait = gnomeblood
            remove_trait = giant
        }
    }
}

Last edited:
If two humans have a kid, they'll be human, and that kid shouldn't become a gnome, even if they get educated to convert their culture to gnomish. People born from gnome parents get the trait fine, but generated characters need to always get it too. I don't want people who were born and have the gnomish culture to get the trait if their parents don't, because someone's guardian shouldn't be able to make a teenager 3 feet shorter.

Thanks for the help. For future google search reference, this was the result:

Code:
yearly_global_pulse = {
    effect = {
            limit = {
                AND = {
                    NOR = {
                        exists = mother
                        exists = father
                        has_trait = gnomeblood
                    }
                }
            }
            add_trait = gnomeblood
            remove_trait = giant
        }
    }
}

Ah, I thought you were working just on the elf thing and the gnome trait was merely for testing as to not mess with the elf stuff. Fair enough. I'm pretty sure you should change the NOR to NAND though. Also, since I was editing my previous post while you were replying to it, I'll repeat what I added in the edit.

Since I am also playing with traits pertaining to specific cultures (well, culture groups) and forgot to cover randomly created characters, I made a little test event for create_character, which seems to work just fine.

So, if you don't want to leave things to yearly pulse on action (in cases the created character reproduces and dies before the pulse hits them, although in your mod's case this should be covered by the trait's potential I suppose) and feel you should be more thorough, you could go through every instance of create_character being used in the game files and add the following piece of code there:
Code:
scope:created_character_scope = {
    if = {
        limit = {
        }
        add_trait = gnomeblood
    }
}
I didn't go through every file that uses create_character yet, but I assume every instance of that would save the created character as a scope. They are created for a reason after all and to fulfill that reason you'd need a scope to do things with the created character. In case they don't, just make one for them first. There are overall 179 instances of create_character being used in the game. But some add specific characters or are related to things like the Mongol and Almohad invasions, so you can safely ignore them, I assume. Also, I don't know what the mod you're working on does in particular, but if no characters of your culture will exist at game start, you can ignore those instances as well.

On a side note, cheers for reminding me that I still need to cover my bases for my trait stuff for characters that change cultures because of education, since in my mod's case it should happen for characters that change cultures as well. After cursory look it seems like there are only two related events though, which should at this stage of my mod be fixed with only a few extra lines for both events. And then I'll need to go through every other instance of culture being changed after birth/character generation as well...

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure you should change the NOR to NAND though

Yeah you're right that logic was off. This is what I believe it should be:
Code:
limit = {
    AND = {
        NOT = {has_trait = gnomeblood}
        NOR = {
            exists = mother
            exists = father
        }