• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
How do I set the councillor name for a custom religion?

I've created a custom religion and faith under the Pagan religious family. I'm trying to change the name of the court chaplain to a specific name for adherents of said religion, but it defaults to 'Shaman,' the value for councillor_court_chaplain_paganism_religion... I've created a specific key with the appropriate value, but I don't know how to assign it to said religion so that it stops defaulting to the pagan one.
It's set inside the court chaplain position in council_positions.
Unfortunately it requires going through customizable_localization, and it is a messy bitch of a thing to edit. It took me a hell of a long time to work out how to get it working, but it does eventually work. The file in question is 00_divinity_custom_loc. Good luck.

Unfortunately it requires going through customizable_localization, and it is a messy bitch of a thing to edit. It took me a hell of a long time to work out how to get it working, but it does eventually work. The file in question is 00_divinity_custom_loc. Good luck.
On an adventure I go! Also, bit of a newbie question, but how can I modify a file without overwriting it? in order to avoid compatibility problems. How could I modify the 'GetActualBishopTitle' variable to just add the condition for my custom religion, without having to overwrite the entire file/the variable?

On an adventure I go! Also, bit of a newbie question, but how can I modify a file without overwriting it? in order to avoid compatibility problems. How could I modify the 'GetActualBishopTitle' variable to just add the condition for my custom religion, without having to overwrite the entire file/the variable?
You definitely don't want to be overwriting any of Paradox's files. That way leads to your own copy potentially broken and it won't be saving anything in your mod directory.

I started with this video, which got me set up with a good text editor that helps browse the existing file structure and copy/paste files into my own mod directory where needed. I highly recommend it as it patiently walks you through the basics without assuming you know... anything. Plus it's only a half-hour long so it stays on topic.

The general rule is that anything new you want to add to an existing structure, say, a religion, can be in its own unique file so long as it is saved in a mimic of the correct folder. So I have entirely new files for my Roman, Egyptian and (edited) Hellenic religions in my mod\common\religion\religions folder. This way it doesn't futz with all the other faiths and religions in the game and the Hellenic one overrides the original Hellenic religion data while the mod is active, but doesn't overwrite anything.

(that said I made a boo-boo at the start by not having Roman and Hellenic as two faiths of the same religion but when I tried to fix that I did it so badly I nearly broke the whole thing so I'm not in any rush to try again)

Reactions:
You definitely don't want to be overwriting any of Paradox's files. That way leads to your own copy potentially broken and it won't be saving anything in your mod directory.

I started with this video, which got me set up with a good text editor that helps browse the existing file structure and copy/paste files into my own mod directory where needed. I highly recommend it as it patiently walks you through the basics without assuming you know... anything. Plus it's only a half-hour long so it stays on topic.

The general rule is that anything new you want to add to an existing structure, say, a religion, can be in its own unique file so long as it is saved in a mimic of the correct folder. So I have entirely new files for my Roman, Egyptian and (edited) Hellenic religions in my mod\common\religion\religions folder. This way it doesn't futz with all the other faiths and religions in the game and the Hellenic one overrides the original Hellenic religion data while the mod is active, but doesn't overwrite anything.

(that said I made a boo-boo at the start by not having Roman and Hellenic as two faiths of the same religion but when I tried to fix that I did it so badly I nearly broke the whole thing so I'm not in any rush to try again)
Many thanks! I will check that video out. I've been creating separate files for my mod already, but as I understand it to add the custom name for the court chaplain you have to replace the variable, since you cannot modify its code 'on the fly.' I'll see if the video answers my question.

Many thanks! I will check that video out. I've been creating separate files for my mod already, but as I understand it to add the custom name for the court chaplain you have to replace the variable, since you cannot modify its code 'on the fly.' I'll see if the video answers my question.
It doesn't for that specific problem. The tutorial mod that he makes it simply for adding traits, but he spends plenty of time on 'good practice' and also how to fix the sorts of problems that can be easily made.

How can I set a trigger to be whether england is ruled by a character of the Frankish culture group?
Would something like this work:
Code:
trigger = {
    title:k_england = {
        culture_group = frankish
    }
}

Also, scopes. I just cannot wrap my head around what exactly they are and how they work.

Last edited:
How can I set a trigger to be whether england is ruled by a character of the Frankish culture group?
Would something like this work:
Code:
trigger = {
        culture_group = frankish
    }
}

Just a disclaimer that I am rather new to modding. I made some personal mods for CKII but that was a few years ago so I have to re-learn some stuff (and CKIII has more complex scripting). So take this with a grain of salt. But I was just browsing a file (global_culture_events) and it has something similar to what you're trying to do. So following the logic in that file, it'd be:
Code:
trigger = {
        exists = holder
        holder.culture_group = culture_group:frankish
    }
}

Last edited:
Reactions:
Oh that makes sense, great thanks.

I made an interpunction error there. It should be "holder.culture_group = culture_group:frankish", not holder.culture_group = culture_group.frankish". Edited the previous post.

On a side note, this title:tile_name = { exists = holder } thing helped me solve an issue with my mod. I wanted the event I made to destroy the kingdom of Bavaria if it had a holder. But the way I coded it had a certain flaw. While it did destroy Bavaria if it existed, it absolutely messed everything in the file after that. Even separate events. To the point they didn't work even if I tried triggering them with the console. But now all of that seems to work just as I wanted it to.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Im trying to change the convert culture action such that the AI will only convert counties if one of the following is true :

-they own the county directly

-the county holder is a direct vassal of the councillor's liege AND it is the vassal's capital county

How do you do the trigger for this?

I tried this, but it does not work (the AI always refuses to convert culture) :

Code:
if = {
            # If not holder, only convert the capitals of direct vassals
            limit = {
                NOR = {
                    scope:county.holder = scope:councillor_liege #checks if the liege owns it directly

scope:county.holder = {
                        is_vassal_of = scope:councillor_liege #checks if the holder is a direct vassal of the liege
                    }  

scope:county.holder.capital_county = scope:county # checks if the holder's capital_county is scope:county
                }
            }        
            multiply = 0
        }

I have just given it a try and the modifier icons open in Gimp fine for me.

Just checked the version and it was 2.10.8 if that makes any difference

Thanks for the help on Gimp I reinstalled 2.8 and it works.

Another question. I am sure I read somewhere that you can hide the small coa icon which is near the player character's feet in the event window. However i can't find the source anymore. Anybody know how to do this?

While I'm only 1/4th into the video so far, holy hell, that Atom editor is amazing. Being able to add the entire game folder into the project and then look for certain values throughout all of these files is a godsend. Thanks to that I finally found the solution to my issue of not being able to add a clickable name of my custom region to a custom tooltip.

For future reference for anyone who wants to do something like that, you do this directly in the localization file, with no need for custom localization scope in whatever file you put the connection to the localization value in. And the line is:
Code:
[GetGeographicalRegion('region_name').GetName]

There's whooping one line of localization in the entire game that uses it (and a mention of this modding option being added in the colossal 1.1 patch notes) so I likely wouldn't have found it otherwise.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Hey folks,
I'm trying to figure out how to replicate the behaviour of the "decorated dupatta" headgear which makes the top half of indian clothing disappear when both are equipped. But i have searched for hours and couldn't figure out where that interaction is specified in the code. Could you help me out here?

In today's episode of "things I really ought to be able to do by now but can't seem to get right":

I'm trying to put a condition in a decision that means you need a certain number of counties inside your realm with a particular religion, but I can't get the syntax right - if I'm even using the right command. I've been trying with num_county_followers but I dunno, there may be an easier way. Any ideas?

In today's episode of "things I really ought to be able to do by now but can't seem to get right":

I'm trying to put a condition in a decision that means you need a certain number of counties inside your realm with a particular religion, but I can't get the syntax right - if I'm even using the right command. I've been trying with num_county_followers but I dunno, there may be an easier way. Any ideas?

Something like this should do the trick, adjusted as necessary.

Code:
any_realm_county = {
    count >= 30
    faith = faith:bosnian_church
}

Something like this should do the trick, adjusted as necessary.

Code:
any_realm_county = {
    count >= 30
    faith = faith:bosnian_church
}
It didn't quite work, or at the very least gave a very confusing in-game description in the decision. However! Just before seeing your reply I tested:
Code:
                faith:roman_pagan = {
                    num_county_followers >= 10
                }

- and that seems to have done the trick.

It didn't quite work, or at the very least gave a very confusing in-game description in the decision. However! Just before seeing your reply I tested:
Code:
                faith:roman_pagan = {
                    num_county_followers >= 10
                }

- and that seems to have done the trick.

Just be careful that's not counting all counties globally, not just the ones in your realm. ;)

Wouldn't that check all counties and not just those in your realm?
Probably! I'll give the other method another whirl tomorrow and weigh them up against each other, but it doesn't seem like it's necessarily a bad thing. If Roman religion is catching on elsewhere and a ruler has taken the risk of converting to it, then changing to Roman culture shouldn't necessarily be a problem. It's an expensive decision at 1000 prestige, so it's not really in reach of counts, and even dukes are going to have to work for it.

I'm in the middle of a big playtest of the mod, and I can say definitively that following this through and converting to Romulism (I know, it's not a great name) is a huge risk, being inevitably surrounded on all sides by powerful Christian or Muslim realms. So even reaching the point where the decision is visible is difficult, and being able to actually go through with it is yet another challenge.

20201115194910_1.jpg

(also featured: convert to Hellenism or ancient Egyptian. But not by the AI for the time being. I don't think it would make a difference anyway)