• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I can't answer your questions about culture, but renaming a title should be able to be done using set_title_name:

Code:
# using England as an example
title:k_england = {
    set_title_name = new_england_name
}

# localization
l_english:
new_england_name:0 "New England"
new_england_name_adj:0 "New English"

You can also use set_title_prefix and set_definitive_form = yes to fine-tune it some more, though I'm less sure about how those work in practice.

Cheers for the answer. Now I only have to figure out how to deal with my tooltip. The culture I can deal with in the latter way, like I said. The code from decisions like the one to form Portugal should do what I want, I think. Then it's just doing the localization.

Also, thanks for the bit about title prefix. I googled that one in case there were any results telling me what it does and it turns out there's a whole page on title modding on CK3 wiki. While it mentions prefix of a title only in another context (and the definite_form, while mentioned, has no explanation), I found this:
Code:
ruler_uses_title_name

Which, if I understand it correctly, would be what causes the duchy-tier religious head title of reformed pagan/custom religions to be the title used by a character holding it even if they have higher tier titles. I was wondering if it was possible to change that as an unrelated matter and I think this is how to do it. Lucky find.

EDIT: After reading the effects page on the wiki, it looks like set_definite_form dictates whether the rank of the title is a part of its name. That's why the Papacy is The Papacy and not Kingdom of the Papacy. And the set_title_prefix I think declares whether there's stuff like "the" before the title? I don't know where it's localized though.

EDIT 2: OK, after testing things it appears ruler_uses_title_name doesn't do what I thought it did and it's not what causes head of faith titles to supersede secular titles even if the secular titles have a higher rank. I don't know if it's possible to change it.

Last edited:
Let the game run a month to update and see if that resolves it.
It didn't. I ran it for a number of years and while a randomly-chosen innovation made slow progress there wasn't any change to the cultural head. I tried running it with Norman culture instead, and the same thing happened, so I guess the good news is that there's nothing wrong with Roman culture. Just my script.

It didn't. I ran it for a number of years and while a randomly-chosen innovation made slow progress there wasn't any change to the cultural head. I tried running it with Norman culture instead, and the same thing happened, so I guess the good news is that there's nothing wrong with Roman culture. Just my script.

Is any character Roman?

Is any character Roman?

Not before the script runs, but it correctly turns the root character Roman, and a bunch of courtiers convert in solidarity. The only thing I can think of is that no counties change culture.

EDIT: Yeah, that was it. Obvious now I think about it, as the culture head is always the ruler with the most counties of that culture. But happily, it also fixed the issue of the regional innovations showing up incorrectly. I guess they did because it couldn't tell where the Roman culture was or was not - as it wasn't anywhere.

Makes me feel especially bad for the Ashkenazi culture, as individual characters tend to spawn from time to time, but won't ever become landed by the AI.

Last edited:
Makes me feel especially bad for the Ashkenazi culture, as individual characters tend to spawn from time to time, but won't ever become landed by the AI.
Maybe next time an Ashkenazi wanders into my court I shall land him to see what happens :D

I was under the impression unlanded cultures unlocked random innovations. I can't check now, but I'm sure Ashkenazi had longships in one of my games…

• 1Like
Reactions:
Looks like it. From _culture.info:

Code:
Name of the file is the culture key that should get the history.
Culture groups can be used too; if a file exists for an individual culture that'll be used rather than the group. E.G., if "north_germanic_group.txt" and "norwegian.txt" both exist, Norwegian culture will use "norwegian.txt" while Swedish culture will use "north_germanic_group.txt".

date = {                                    # When is executed
    discover_innovation = innovation_key    # Discovers this innovations. There can be multiple per date.
    add_innovation_progress = {                # Advances a % defined on the defined innovation. There can be multiple per date.
        culture_innovation = innovation_key # Innovation
        progress = 50                        # How much progress dos it gains
    }
    join_era = culture_era_key                # Joins the defined era. Only one per date.
    progress_era = 50                        # Progress inthe current era. Only one per date.
}

##################################
Everything is executed in the order specified before

So basically if I wanted anglo_saxon culture to have 50% progress in the Barracks innovation in 867, I'd change their culture to show

Code:
# Anglo_saxon
867.1.1 = {
    discover_innovation = innovation_motte
    discover_innovation = innovation_catapult
    discover_innovation = innovation_quilted_armor
    #
    discover_innovation = innovation_gavelkind
    discover_innovation = innovation_currency_01
    discover_innovation = innovation_crop_rotation
    discover_innovation = innovation_ledger

add_innovation_progress = {
      culture_innovation = innovation_barracks
      progress = 50
    }
}
950.1.1 = {
    discover_innovation = innovation_barracks
    discover_innovation = innovation_bannus
    discover_innovation = innovation_mustering_grounds
    #
    discover_innovation = innovation_development_01
    discover_innovation = innovation_city_planning
    discover_innovation = innovation_plenary_assemblies
    discover_innovation = innovation_casus_belli
    #
    join_era = culture_era_early_medieval
}
1066.1.1 = {
    discover_innovation = innovation_burhs
    discover_innovation = innovation_mangonel
    discover_innovation = innovation_house_soldiers
    #
    discover_innovation = innovation_hereditary_rule
    discover_innovation = innovation_manorialism
    discover_innovation = innovation_currency_02
    discover_innovation = innovation_baliffs
    #
    discover_innovation = innovation_hird
}
Thanks! That was really helpful

Perhaps a dumb question, but can anyone tell me where the portrait_modifier code associated with the "giant" trait is located? I see portrait modifier code that is commented out under "giant" in traits.txt, however there is nothing under gfx/portraits/portrait_modifiers/01_visual_traits where all the other visual traits are located.

How exactly does the game link the "giant" trait to its associated "giant_height" profile under common/genes? Same goes for "dwarf" now that I think of it.

Perhaps a dumb question, but can anyone tell me where the portrait_modifier code associated with the "giant" trait is located? I see portrait modifier code that is commented out under "giant" in traits.txt, however there is nothing under gfx/portraits/portrait_modifiers/01_visual_traits where all the other visual traits are located.

How exactly does the game link the "giant" trait to its associated "giant_height" profile under common/genes? Same goes for "dwarf" now that I think of it.
For some reason giant and dwarf traits (and only these) are under 01_facial_features.txt instead of "visual traits".

How do I edit the mod description on the Paradox Plaza site? Right now the text is all in one paragraph instead of separate lines like I wrote from the mod tools window in the CK3 launcher.

ed: oof, i think it's because my account isn't linked to Paradox Mods properly, which would make sense of why the mod I made doesn't show up when I go to "My uploaded mods"

Last edited:
How do I edit the mod description on the Paradox Plaza site? Right now the text is all in one paragraph instead of separate lines like I wrote from the mod tools window in the CK3 launcher.

ed: oof, i think it's because my account isn't linked to Paradox Mods properly, which would make sense of why the mod I made doesn't show up when I go to "My uploaded mods"
Yep, I'm able to edit the mod description on this account.

Another related question - is it possible to edit the mod description without having to have a changelog update? I have 6 changelog entries now, even though most of them were just to add formatting to the description.

I have recently installed Gimp.2.10.22 and also installed the DDS plugin. However there are certain files in CK3 I cannot open. For example the modifier icons. I do not have this problem for CK2. Anybody else encounter this problem?

How do I set the councillor name for a custom religion?

I've created a custom religion and faith under the Pagan religious family. I'm trying to change the name of the court chaplain to a specific name for adherents of said religion, but it defaults to 'Shaman,' the value for councillor_court_chaplain_paganism_religion... I've created a specific key with the appropriate value, but I don't know how to assign it to said religion so that it stops defaulting to the pagan one.

How do I set the councillor name for a custom religion?

I've created a custom religion and faith under the Pagan religious family. I'm trying to change the name of the court chaplain to a specific name for adherents of said religion, but it defaults to 'Shaman,' the value for councillor_court_chaplain_paganism_religion... I've created a specific key with the appropriate value, but I don't know how to assign it to said religion so that it stops defaulting to the pagan one.
It's set inside the court chaplain position in council_positions.

Is there a way to make an interaction/decision unavailable, if the acting character is owning a scheme? I tried the the "has_owned_scheme " trigger from the wiki, which is not working and some other stuff.

I have recently installed Gimp.2.10.22 and also installed the DDS plugin. However there are certain files in CK3 I cannot open. For example the modifier icons. I do not have this problem for CK2. Anybody else encounter this problem?

You should get a popup when opening them asking if you want to load mipmaps; try unchecking that box. For some reason some of the mipmaps load fine, but others don't want to. Just generate new mipmaps when you export as DDS (which, if you're making any edits, you'd have to do anyway).

1605333012079.png

Is it possible to edit Head of Faith names on a culture specific basis, as it is for landed titles?

So just as I can make a Kingdom tier title have my irish King be displayed as "High King" or my english count display as an "Earl" by editting localisation files.

Is it possible to have my German, temporal Pope, display as "Black Pope" or something similar?

Is there any way to do either of the following?
  1. Adjust a script value by a character's stress loss multiplier (as determined by traits, religious tenets, &c.); or
  2. Force an effect localization to use a perspective other than the one the game wants to use?
For context, I've got the following thing going in a character interaction, but while I'm pleased with the overall appearance of the window, as can be seen from my custom tooltip, I'd like to address the player directly, and as such would like the stress loss effect to use I_LOSE_STRESS_EFFECT ('You lose N Stress') rather than LOSE_STRESS_EFFECT ('Loses N Stress').

1605335885943.png

The only way I've found to effect this is to use custom_description to force the use of a custom effect localization. Unfortunately, passing a stress loss value to custom_description doesn't account for stress loss multipliers, and it thus displays an unmodified, erroneous value.

I have just given it a try and the modifier icons open in Gimp fine for me.

Just checked the version and it was 2.10.8 if that makes any difference