• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Jia Xu

Strategist
64 Badges
Feb 27, 2010
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Deus Vult
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
Ask modding questions here. Let's all help each other learn the modding side of things as we enjoy CK3! :)

To get us started, here's a tip from the official FAQ:

▲ Will there be a documentation of all the available conditions, commands, scopes etc. on release?
► There is a script_docs console command which outputs all triggers, effects, scope types, event target links, modifiers, and on actions to log files.

Modding page on the official wiki: https://ck3.paradoxwikis.com/Modding

Please, take into consideration, that including problematic code, filenames with paths, mods and any other valuable information in your post, greatly increases probability of getting answers.

Last edited:
  • 7Like
Reactions:
My major question is: Do I have to use 3D Models for the Characters, or can I use sprites and artwork for the Characters like in Crusader Kings II? If it's the former, I'm gonna have to find someone with 3D Modelling expertise...

• 1Like
Reactions:
I remember in the dev diaries that the devs said that one could alter the files and make Theocracies/Republics playable (yet boring), what file would I need to look for to go about making those modifications? The Governments file doesn't seem to have any playablility options in it.

ALSO

Are baronies hard-coded non-playable, or is this also editable in the game's files?

• 4Like
Reactions:
I remember in the dev diaries that the devs said that one could alter the files and make Theocracies/Republics playable (yet boring), what file would I need to look for to go about making those modifications? The Governments file doesn't seem to have any playablility options in it.

ALSO

Are baronies hard-coded non-playable, or is this also editable in the game's files?
Was looking for the exact same thing and also didn't find something. Also not in the defines files.
And I also remember that they said something like: It should be doable.

My major question is: Do I have to use 3D Models for the Characters, or can I use sprites and artwork for the Characters like in Crusader Kings II? If it's the former, I'm gonna have to find someone with 3D Modelling expertise...
As far as I'm aware it's 3D only, however you could hide the portrait models themselves and display a plane, then you can switch out the textures to characters with transparency to have them there instead

How many options can an event have? Is it limited to the same amount as CK2, or can they have more?

Edit: Answered my own question with a quick test mod. Events can have seemingly infinite options, but the option start going outside of the event window UI after 11 options. Also the options start covering the event dialogue around 8-10 options, with 11 options having the dialogue partially covered, so depending on how long your event text is, 7-10 options max without bugging out the UI. Could probably make a UI mod to fix that, but that isn't my strength.

Last edited:
Reactions:
How do i add a thumbnail picture for a mod?

I noticed that many character and history files go beyond the current 2 start dates so I went to modify the bookmarks file to a later start date and see how it looks. The initial screen doesn't work but that's since I didn't add characters but when I hit 'Play as any ruler' it just sticks at generating world from history and never passes it. Does CK3 just not load the map if there's empty titles unlike CK2 which will just show empty provinces? I can make it load a date like 1067 just fine but something in 1100's not so much.

Last edited:
Anyone figure out how to use the portrait editor to edit the looks/DNA of your character (or anyone really)?

I made a model that I like for my character but I have no idea how to import it to an actual character

Reactions:
Anyone getting an issue when modifiying difficulty modifiers? It seems like if I start a new game with my changes, it works. But, if i make changes and reload, they all disappear.

Edit: My guess is, difficulty setting isn't being saved? Seems to revert to Normal difficulty or something.

Edit 2: No, even adding the very_easy difficulty modifer to normal difficulty doesn't work either. Somethings messed up with the way the difficulty modifiers are added.

Reactions:
Can I only mod decisions that effect my character? How can I get a decision effect to apply to a vassal?

I tried "is_vassal_of = ROOT" in "is_shown" and "is_valid" and it states in the GUI the decision requirement is "You are YOUR Direct Vassal"?

That won't work. Stumped here.

Last edited:
Not really a modding question so much as a cheating question, but is there a way to make a spawned army reinforce?
I tried reinforces = yes as it was in CK2 but no go.

Code:
spawn_army = {
levies = 200000
men/stacks = 1
location = 6299
inheritable = yes
uses_supply = no
save_scope_as/save_temporary_scope_as = new_army
name = Cool_Army
}

• 2Like
Reactions:
I couldn't figure out how to mod music in this game. I can't even find the music files. Anyone got any clue?

Code:
== Structure ==

name_of_the_music_track = {

# Path to the audio event for this track
    music = "event:/..."

# How much music weight will playing this music add, default: 0
    weight = X

# Is this track a mood track (i.e. a long track that the game can pick and doesn't need to be explicitly triggered)? default: no
    mood = yes/no

# Can this track be interrupted by another track? Long mood track are good candidates for interrupting. default : no
    can_be_interrupted = yes/no

# Cooldown in in-game time, the track will not be played for this amount of time after it has been started
    years/months/days = X

# Cooldown in calls. After the track starts playing, it will not play again for X subsequent requests to play it. default : 0
    calls = X

# Does this track's cooldown reset when starting/loading a game? default : no
    reset = yes/no
}

Last edited:
I have no luck modding 00_defines.
For example I tried it with the following:
NDefines.NImprisonment.RANSOM_MIN_COST = 99
My file location: \mod\modname\common\defines\modname.txt

Did anyone got lucky and can tell me, how to mod values of 00_defines in CKIII?
Very much appreciated, thanks.

• 1Like
Reactions:
What is the launch options to be able to simply reload events.

When i try to reload events in -debug_mode launch option, it tells me I have to use the developer mode but after a few try, I cannot seem to find the proper syntax for the developer launch option....

Is there some trick to override province terrain type that I am missing?
I created a new file in history\provinces and made sure that it is alphabetically after the original. Then copied the desired province id into the new file and added a "terrain = hills" to the province. That works for IR, however when I launch the game the original terrain type remains.

edit-
Never mind, found they were in common\province_terrain.

Last edited: