• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Is the fact that polygamy and concubinage is only a thing for rulers in CK3 a hard-coded thing (as it seems to be as far as I can tell), or is there a way to mod the game so it is allowed for everyone like in CK2?

Last edited:
You're checking if any of the king of Hungary's titles is in the de jure hierarchy of whatever the landed_title is, so without knowing all the exact inputs it's impossible to see if it's working as you intend. For example, if the king of Hungary is also the duke of some duchy under the Kingdom of Croatia and the landed_title is in that de jure hierarchy, then the any_held_title trigger would be true.

So you want to incur no tyranny for revoking a title from the Duke of Temes if the Duke of Temes' liege is not the de jure liege of that title? We'd need to see more code because we can't see the effect that will/will not fire based on the results of this trigger. For all we know you missed a NOT check or have a value backward or something.

In my save, the king of hungary doesnt own anything under the kingdom of croatia.

The effect i am using is the vanilla revoke_title_interaction_effect under scripted_effects.

What i tried to change was only this part :

Code:
if = {
        limit = {

scope:landed_title.tier != tier_barony

scope:recipient.liege = { # recipient = duke of temes, liege = king of hungary
                any_held_title = { # includes kingdom of hungary title
                    is_de_jure_liege_or_above_target = scope:landed_title # checks if scope:landed_title is under the kingdom of hungary
                }
            }
        }
        }

So what i want is to incur no tyranny when revoking titles that are being held by incorrect de jure lieges.

Example :

I am revoking a title under the kingdom of croatia.

The duke of temes holds the title, but his liege is the king of hungary (wrong kingdom) AND the kingdom of croatia's holder is another vassal in my realm. No tyranny should be incurred.

I am trying to a set a new county to the same saved scope on each iteration of a repeating event. I’ve tried clear_saved_scope in the after block to no avail. Will a scope continue to meet the exists trigger after using clear_saved_scope?

Is the fact that polygamy and concubinage is only a thing for rulers in CK3 a hard-coded thing (as it seems to be as far as I can tell), or is there a way to mod the game so it is allowed for everyone like in CK2?

common\defines\00_defines.txt defines the following:—
Code:
DESIRED_SPOUSES_PER_TIER = { 1 1 1 2 3 4 }  # Number of spouses you are expected to have per tier, starging with unlanded, then baron and ending with emperor
DESIRED_CONCUBINES_PER_TIER = { 0 0 1 2 2 3 }

Changing these numbers should encourage lower-tiered and/or unlanded characters to seek more spouses if their faith allows, though it might have unintended consequences, either performance-wise, or just in that you're gonna have a harder time finding spouses for yourself!

Keep in mind also that it's never going to guarantee they get the spouses: if unlanded characters only have landed characters available to marry, well, those landed characters aren't necessarily gonna want to take the prestige hit. You may need to look into however pool characters are generated (‽) to raise their numbers to make up for it, which will incur performance penalties.

common\defines\00_defines.txt defines the following:—
Code:
DESIRED_SPOUSES_PER_TIER = { 1 1 1 2 3 4 }  # Number of spouses you are expected to have per tier, starging with unlanded, then baron and ending with emperor
DESIRED_CONCUBINES_PER_TIER = { 0 0 1 2 2 3 }

Changing these numbers should encourage lower-tiered and/or unlanded characters to seek more spouses if their faith allows, though it might have unintended consequences, either performance-wise, or just in that you're gonna have a harder time finding spouses for yourself!

Keep in mind also that it's never going to guarantee they get the spouses: if unlanded characters only have landed characters available to marry, well, those landed characters aren't necessarily gonna want to take the prestige hit. You may need to look into however pool characters are generated (‽) to raise their numbers to make up for it, which will incur performance penalties.

If I'm not mistaken, that doesn't at all do what I'm wanting to do.

I'm not trying to "encourage" AI-controlled characters to have a set number of concubines/consorts or spouses. I'm trying to make it *possible* for characters that are not rulers to have concubines/consorts or more than spouse. In CK2, the same marriage rules applied to both rulers and courtiers. In CK3, it's always monogamy only if you're not a ruler.

Reactions:
If I'm not mistaken, that doesn't at all do what I'm wanting to do.

I'm not trying to "encourage" AI-controlled characters to have a set number of concubines/consorts or spouses. I'm trying to make it *possible* for characters that are not rulers to have concubines/consorts or more than spouse. In CK2, the same marriage rules applied to both rulers and courtiers. In CK3, it's always monogamy only if you're not a ruler.

Ah, you're right; my apologies. I thought the only reason they didn't take more was because they didn't desire more; it's weird that they don't seem to be allowed at all. I'll look into it further, but given there's been some debate earlier in this thread regarding how AI marriage is handled in the first place, it might be hard-coded, which would be a hell of a shame.

Reactions:
Ah, you're right; my apologies. I thought the only reason they didn't take more was because they didn't desire more; it's weird that they don't seem to be allowed at all. I'll look into it further, but given there's been some debate earlier in this thread regarding how AI marriage is handled in the first place, it might be hard-coded, which would be a hell of a shame.
Sometimes in CK2 you'd see weird things like three female rulers all married to the same rando courtier at once. In religions where women can have multiple husbands too there's potential for this kind of thing to go a bit nuts. I imagine that's why they limited it to rulers.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Sometimes in CK2 you'd see weird things like three female rulers all married to the same rando courtier at once. In religions where women can have multiple husbands too there's potential for this kind of thing to go a bit nuts. I imagine that's why they limited it to rulers.

I believe a more accurate term than "rando courtier" would be "sex cult leader". :)

On a serious note, I remember abusing the male/female consort relationships in CK2 to inject friendly high intrigue courtiers of my religion into foreign courts for plot purposes, not sure that is as useful in CK3.

I believe a more accurate term than "rando courtier" would be "sex cult leader". :)

♪ Ra Ra Rasputin~ ♫

I've actually encountered a bug with this behavior which indicates that unlanded characters can actually have more than one spouse, at least if they acquire them while landed⁠—it seems like it's just the UI elements that are hidden after-the-fact.

Note: Part of Character Interaction

This selection allows me to imprison anyone, no matter their location.

Code:
scope:actor = {
            imprison = {
                target = scope:recipient
                type = dungeon
            }
    }

However, is their way to mass imprison the court (depending on who is there)?
This is what I've got so far.

Code:
scope:actor = {
every_courtier = {
if = {
        limit = { is_courtier_of = scope:recipient }   
        }

imprison = {
                target = scope:recipient
                type = dungeon
            }
}
}

Any help is welcome, thanks.

Hi all, quick question. Is it possible to change the icon of a building between upgrades? As in building_name_01 has a certain icon while building_name_02 has a different icon. It technically should be but I can't seem to make it work, and since the only actual building in vanilla which switches icons, the Dome of the Rock - Third Temple, doesn't work either, I'm starting to think it isn't even possible

I've actually encountered a bug with this behavior which indicates that unlanded characters can actually have more than one spouse, at least if they acquire them while landed⁠—it seems like it's just the UI elements that are hidden after-the-fact.
Yeah, this goes for the limits on spouses and concubines in general. I've had four concubines before due to a buggy mod, and the game seemed to handle it just fine except that only three of them showed up in my character window.

Reactions:
Code:
visit_ancient_site_decision = {
    picture = "gfx/interface/illustrations/decisions/decision_destiny_goal.dds"

desc = visit_ancient_site_decision_desc

selection_tooltip = visit_ancient_site_decision_tooltip

cooldown = { days = 3650 }

is_shown = {
        is_landed = yes
        exists = house
#        has_perk = apostate_perk

}

#    is_valid_showing_failures_only = {
#        is_available_adult = yes
#    }

cost = {
        gold = 25
        piety = 100
    }

effect = {
        custom_tooltip = visit_ancient_site_decision_effect_1
        custom_tooltip = visit_ancient_site_decision_effect_2

show_as_tooltip = {
            add_character_modifier = {
                modifier = visit ancient_site_modifier
                years = 10
            }
        }

trigger_event = {
            id = rbancient_visit_event.4001
        }
    }
    ai_potential = {
        always = no
    }

ai_will_do = {
        base = 0
    }
}
ck3des.jpg

I can't for the life of me work out where that extra "You gain" bit is coming from. Can anyone shed any light on this so I can get rid of it?

Code:
visit_ancient_site_decision = {
    picture = "gfx/interface/illustrations/decisions/decision_destiny_goal.dds"

desc = visit_ancient_site_decision_desc

selection_tooltip = visit_ancient_site_decision_tooltip

cooldown = { days = 3650 }

is_shown = {
        is_landed = yes
        exists = house
#        has_perk = apostate_perk

}

#    is_valid_showing_failures_only = {
#        is_available_adult = yes
#    }

cost = {
        gold = 25
        piety = 100
    }

effect = {
        custom_tooltip = visit_ancient_site_decision_effect_1
        custom_tooltip = visit_ancient_site_decision_effect_2

show_as_tooltip = {
            add_character_modifier = {
                modifier = visit ancient_site_modifier
                years = 10
            }
        }

trigger_event = {
            id = rbancient_visit_event.4001
        }
    }
    ai_potential = {
        always = no
    }

ai_will_do = {
        base = 0
    }
}
View attachment 651035

I can't for the life of me work out where that extra "You gain" bit is coming from. Can anyone shed any light on this so I can get rid of it?

You're adding a character modifier (i.e. 'You gain
visit_ancient_site_modifier'), but the description is broken because you have a typo in the localization key for visit_ancient_site_modifier (it has a space rather than an underscore in your code).

• 1Like
Reactions:
You're adding a character modifier (i.e. 'You gain
visit_ancient_site_modifier'), but the description is broken because you have a typo in the localization key for visit_ancient_site_modifier (it has a space rather than an underscore in your code).
Ah man, it all seems so obvious now. This was one of the first things I did when I started, so I didn't really know what most of it was doing, and somehow that meant I couldn't see the problems.

Thanks for your help, I'm going to coder's jail now.

Pls, can anyone explain what ”tick” means in Pdx games? ... I remember I read a thorough explanation somewhere years ago but I can’t find that anymore ...
I am not a modder but I love to play around with the savegames and I can’t wrap my brain around that ... Thx