• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
You could block it in the concubine interactions. If you look at common\character_interactions\00_marriage_interactions.txt there's a common check in the three concubine interactions make_concubine_interaction, find_concubine, and offer_concubine, of allowed_concubines = yes, and likewise in common\important_actions\00_marriage_actions.txt the action_can_take_concubine and action_can_take_consort the same allowed_concubines = yes.

I don't think the allowed_concubine trigger is moddable, but where ever it appears in those five locations you could add in your own code that if the character is a member of your modded faith, they must be the head of faith to allow the concubine interaction to be valid.
I like that idea. I'm not very experienced with character interactions. Potential issues I see are
1. Would this create a separate 'take as concubine' option on the interface or change the current one.
2. If it did change the current in-game option, wouldn't this then apply to all faiths?

English is not my first language.

Hi guys.
I want to change age that characters gets Education traits(e.g.Brilliant Strategist ).

on_16th_birthday = { trigger = { age = 15 } # Default is 16
(childhood_on_actions.txt)

I changed code like this.
But, education system has get completely broken.

already 'minimum_age' values in 00_traits.txt changed into 15.
'male_adult_age', 'female_adult_age' and 'adulthood_start_age' defined 15. (00_defines, 00_age_values.txt)

Old people still has traits like Affectionate or Willful. :<
And they never get any education traits.

Someone please help me :'<

edit:
Now over 15 yo History characters (when game has started) has education traits as I want. but lower 15 yo characters never get it.
idk but I'd imagine a lot of age related things are hard-coded. (ie - unable to change)

Last edited:
Hi All
1. is there way to get my steward name on automatically in localisation, i want to put his/her name at event description
2. I also want to use his/her portrait at event animation.

thanks

I like that idea. I'm not very experienced with character interactions. Potential issues I see are
1. Would this create a separate 'take as concubine' option on the interface or change the current one.
2. If it did change the current in-game option, wouldn't this then apply to all faiths?
No, it would be the same interaction. What would happen is it would check the faith of each character when they take the interaction, if they were of your modded faith they would also have to be the head of faith to allow the interaction, if they were not of your modded faith then it would be ignored.

Something like:
Code:
OR = {
    NOT = {
        has_faith = faith:MODDED_FAITH
    }
    AND = {
        is_head_of_faith = yes
    }
}

So if they are not of your modded faith they satisfy the requirement to undertake the take concubine interaction, but if they are of your modded faith they also need to be (i.e. AND) the head of faith, if they are a member of the modded faith but not a head of faith then they fail the requirement.

The modded faith would also need to allow concubines.

So take the make_concubine_interaction in common\character_interactions\00_marriage_interactions.txt and the is_shown section starting at line 1763 where the allowed_concubines = yes test is done, that's were you insert your new code as an additional test on whether the character can use the take concubine interaction:
Code:
#Vanilla code
    is_shown = {
        scope:actor = {
            allowed_concubines = yes
            is_adult = yes
        }
        scope:recipient = {
            OR = {
                is_courtier_of = scope:actor
                is_imprisoned_by = scope:actor
            }
            can_become_concubine_of_character_trigger = { CHARACTER = scope:actor }
        }
    }
Code:
#Modded code
    is_shown = {
        scope:actor = {
            allowed_concubines = yes
            is_adult = yes
            #Insert modded code here so the additional test applies to the actor taking the interaction action
            OR = {
                NOT = {
                }
                AND = {
                    is_head_of_faith = yes
                }
            }
        }
        scope:recipient = {
            OR = {
                is_courtier_of = scope:actor
                is_imprisoned_by = scope:actor
            }
            can_become_concubine_of_character_trigger = { CHARACTER = scope:actor }
        }
    }

And remember to insert the modded code into the five (or six) places in vanilla where the allowed_concubines = yes test is used to limit concubine interactions and actions. There's three in common\character_interactions\00_marriage_interactions.txt at lines 1765, 1943 and 2068; and two in common\important_actions\00_marriage_actions.txt at lines 241 and 292.

I don't think you need to worry about the sixth place it is included, a modifier in common\scripted_modifiers\00_elective_successions_scripted_modifiers.txt at line 1070 as your changes don't really affect how that modifier would operate.

Last edited:
No, it would be the same interaction. What would happen is it would check the faith of each character when they take the interaction, if they were of your modded faith they would also have to be the head of faith to allow the interaction, if they were not of your modded faith then it would be ignored.

I don't think you need to worry about the sixth place it is included, a modifier in common\scripted_modifiers\00_elective_successions_scripted_modifiers.txt at line 1070 as your changes don't really affect how that modifier would operate.
okay thank you, I appreciate your help. Can I copy the file for the mod and then make changes or would I need to change the actual game file?

On another note. Any idea how I could make it so only characters with a certain trait can marry close relations, but if you don't have the trait, you can't marry close relations? I want to create a royal bloodline mod.
1 trait = male royal bloodline
1 trait = female royal bloodline
1 trait = full royal bloodline (a child of both above traits).

I know how to set up the traits and on actions etc, but I'm not sure how to get around the inbreeding situation. I would need the faith to the have Unrestricted Marriage, but I only want to make it possible for members of the royal bloodline to have family relationships.

Last edited:
okay thank you, I appreciate your help. Can I copy the file for the mod and then make changes or would I need to change the actual game file?

On another note. Any idea how I could make it so only characters with a certain trait can marry close relations, but if you don't have the trait, you can't marry close relations? I want to create a royal bloodline mod.
1 trait = male royal bloodline
1 trait = female royal bloodline
1 trait = full royal bloodline (a child of both above traits).

I know how to set up the traits and on actions etc, but I'm not sure how to get around the inbreeding situation, as I only want to make it possible for members of the royal bloodline to have family relationships.
See common\scripted_triggers\00_marriage_triggers.txt for the marriage triggers, but for consanguinity checks they then refer to common\scripted_triggers\00_religious_triggers.txt and faith_allows_marriage_consanguinity_trigger at line 167 which refers on to relation_with_character_is_incestuous_in_faith_trigger on line 115.

Code:
relation_with_character_is_incestuous_in_faith_trigger = {
    OR = {
        #doctrine_consanguinity_restricted; absolutely no family business
        AND = {
            $FAITH$ = { has_doctrine = doctrine_consanguinity_restricted }
            is_close_or_extended_family_of = $CHARACTER$ #[parents, children, siblings, grandparents, grandchildren, cousins, uncles, aunts, nephews, nieces]
        }
        #doctrine_consanguinity_cousins; the only acceptable incest is with your cousin
        AND = {
            $FAITH$ = { has_doctrine = doctrine_consanguinity_cousins }
            OR = {
                is_close_family_of = $CHARACTER$ #[parents, children, siblings, grandparents, grandchildren]
                is_uncle_or_aunt_of = $CHARACTER$
                is_nibling_of = $CHARACTER$
            }
        }
        #doctrine_consanguinity_aunt_nephew_and_uncle_niece; extended family is ok
        AND = {
            $FAITH$ = { has_doctrine = doctrine_consanguinity_aunt_nephew_and_uncle_niece }   
            is_close_family_of = $CHARACTER$
        }
        #doctrine_consanguinity_unrestricted; all forms of incest is acceptable
    }   
}

You have a few options. You could write code for a new doctrine, or you could just mod in an additional NOT check for the traits that you want, which would mean they would no longer trigger the check, as with the concubine interaction example above.

how would I make this so it only works for player and not AI as well?

Use the trigger is_ai = no.

Just be awaree that using the trigger or effect block of a vanilla on_action will overwrite the vanilla version, so you shouldn't do that unless you know what you're doing, and specifically want to do just that.

But on_actions allow for appending other on_actions, so you can do something like this:

Code:
on_title_gain = { on_action = { on_title_gain_sussex }}

on_title_gain_sussex = {
   trigger = {
      is_ai = no
      scope:title = title:d_sussex
   }
   effect = { < your effect > }
}

You have a few options. You could write code for a new doctrine, or you could just mod in an additional NOT check for the traits that you want, which would mean they would no longer trigger the check, as with the concubine interaction example above.
Ideally, I wouldn't want them to be considered 'incestuous' if they were of the bloodline, but if they didn't have the trait, then they would be classed as incestuous.
So if there is a way I can do it without the Unrestricted Marriage doctrine, that would be best.

Plus I'd need the followers of the faith to view incestuous relations within the bloodline as a good thing and not a negative. But if the only way I can do it is with the Unrestricted Marriage doctrine, then that will suffice.

Ideally, I wouldn't want them to be considered 'incestuous' if they were of the bloodline, but if they didn't have the trait, then they would be classed as incestuous.
So if there is a way I can do it without the Unrestricted Marriage doctrine, that would be best.

Plus I'd need the followers of the faith to view incestuous relations within the bloodline as a good thing and not a negative. But if the only way I can do it is with the Unrestricted Marriage doctrine, then that will suffice.
If you add the has_trait checks to the relation_with_character_is_incestuous_in_faith_trigger above then they won't be considered incestuous. That trigger is the check the game uses to define what is and is not incestuous, you can change the definitions there to be whatever you'd like, including any has_trait loopholes you want to add.

Everyone else without the has_trait trait loopholes would be under the normal incestuous definitions of that faith are.

If you add the has_trait checks to the relation_with_character_is_incestuous_in_faith_trigger above then they won't be considered incestuous. That trigger is the check the game uses to define what is and is not incestuous, you can change the definitions there to be whatever you'd like, including any has_trait loopholes you want to add.

Everyone else without the has_trait trait loopholes would be under the normal incestuous definitions of that faith are.
so that gets around the incestuous part, but how could I allow marriages (and take as concubine action) between the royal blood family members? Because without the Unrestricted Marriage doctrine, the faith laws wouldn't allow it?

so that gets around the incestuous part, but how could I allow marriages between the royal blood family members? Because without the Unrestricted Marriage doctrine, the faith laws wouldn't allow it?
That relation_with_character_is_incestuous_in_faith_trigger check is how the game defines what is incestuous for all purposes, including marriage. See the chain of triggers referring back to relation_with_character_is_incestuous_in_faith_trigger in common\scripted_triggers\00_religious_triggers.txt and common\scripted_triggers\00_marriage_triggers.txt. You change it in relation_with_character_is_incestuous_in_faith_trigger you change it for all purposes.

That relation_with_character_is_incestuous_in_faith_trigger check is how the game defines what is incestuous for all purposes, including marriage. See the chain of triggers referring back to relation_with_character_is_incestuous_in_faith_trigger in common\scripted_triggers\00_religious_triggers.txt and common\scripted_triggers\00_marriage_triggers.txt. You change it in relation_with_character_is_incestuous_in_faith_trigger you change it for all purposes.
okay, I understand. I was just worried that without the Unrestricted marriage doctrine, the options in the interface wouldn't show. So if I tried to add a family member as a concubine for example, the option wouldn't display. I'm still getting used to the interactions side of modding :) I guess by adding the traits rules, it makes the characters with it exempt from the doctrine laws, which is exactly what I want.

Thank you for all your help, I appreciate it greatly.

okay, I understand. I was just worried that without the Unrestricted marriage doctrine, the options in the interface wouldn't show. So if I tried to add a family member as a concubine for example, the option wouldn't display. I'm still getting used to the interactions side of modding :) I guess by adding the traits rules, it makes the characters with it exempt from the doctrine laws, which is exactly what I want.

Thank you for all your help, I appreciate it greatly.
Nw.

The relation_with_character_is_incestuous_in_faith_trigger is easier because all the incest triggers everywhere in the code refer back to it, so if you change it there you change it everywhere. But the allowed_concubines = yes isn't a trigger you can mod, it's hardcoded, hence why you have to go to all five or six places in the code where the allowed_concubines = yes is used and add your modded code alongside of it to modify it.

Yes but be careful about which character you are checking, I think you want both characters, not just one, to have the traits?
hmm, I didn't think about that. So how would I go about checking that both characters have the traits? they would only have 1 or 2 of the traits, but only having 1 of the traits would be needed, but still okay if they had 2.

Also, do I need to add the code only after the 1st entry of
relation_with_character_is_incestuous_in_faith_trigger
or for every entry I find, including things like
relation_with_character_is_incestuous_in_my_or_lieges_faith_trigger
*edit - I guess that last one is just in case one of the characters has a different faith.

hmm, I didn't think about that. So how would I go about checking that both characters have the traits? they would only have 1 or 2 of the traits, but only having 1 of the traits would be needed, but still okay if they had 2.

Also, do I need to add the code only after the 1st entry of

or for every entry I find, including things like
No they all refer back to that relation_with_character_is_incestuous_in_faith_trigger in common\scripted_triggers\00_religious_triggers.txt, change it in that one place and it changes everywhere.

I think $CHARACTER$ will be the scope of the second character for has_trait checks.

No they all refer back to that relation_with_character_is_incestuous_in_faith_trigger in common\scripted_triggers\00_religious_triggers.txt, change it in that one place and it changes everywhere.

I think $CHARACTER$ will be the scope of the second character for has_trait checks.
okay I think I've figured it out. Would this work?
NOT = {
AND = {
$CHARACTER$ = {
OR= {
has_trait = trait1
has_trait = trait2
has_trait = trait3
}
}
}
AND = {
OR= {
has_trait = trait1
has_trait = trait2
has_trait = trait3
}
}
}

okay I think I've figured it out. Would this work?
One single AND needs to include both OR blocks, and because it's a NOT AND you can simplify it into the first NOT, but making it a NAND:

Try
Code:
NAND = {
    $CHARACTER$ = {
        OR = {
            has_trait = trait1
            has_trait = trait2
            has_trait = trait3
        }
    }
    OR = {
        has_trait = trait1
        has_trait = trait2
        has_trait = trait3
    }
}

Last edited:
Hi All

Really newbie question,

I try to scope my steward and get his name for event portrait and description.

I try search wiki in scope page and i cannot see anything about steward.

on wiki example also give Random_vassal scope that i assume it is a saved scope

is there file that listed available saved scope in game file?

Thanks