• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
This is very useful indeed, thank you very much.

Would it be possible for you to write a basic example template for me, so I know what the correct syntax is?
Sure! I'm a bit under the weather, so I don't want to fight with the game to test it out tonight, but I'll do this tomorrow and get back to you then.

Today I have two small queries. First, is there a trigger you can use dependant on number of sons? Something like: number_of_sons <= 1
Second question is do we have an easy way to find the number of counties under our control with a particular culture or faith? I was hoping to be able to have a decision become visible only when there were 6 counties of a faith in the kingdom.
Something like this should do the trick:—

Code:
any_child = {
    is_male = yes
    count <= 1
}

You could also throw in an even_if_dead = yes if you want to account for dead children.

For the second question, check out revive_magyar_paganism_decision in common/decisions/00_major_decisions_east_europe.txt. It does this, which should be adaptable to your needs:—

Code:
any_realm_county = {
    count >= 30
    culture_group = culture_group:magyar_group
}

• 1Like
Reactions:
This is very useful indeed, thank you very much.

Would it be possible for you to write a basic example template for me, so I know what the correct syntax is?

Sure! I'm a bit under the weather, so I don't want to fight with the game to test it out tonight, but I'll do this tomorrow and get back to you then.

Alright, sorry it took me a bit to get to this. I noticed while looking into this that the Plantagenet dynasty is actually coded in the game, albeit without a coat of arms; I assume it was ported over from CKII incidentally, since that game obviously let you start at later dates. It does, incidentally, have defined historical characters—but all obviously date from the 12th century, and thus cannot be used for our purposes. Problematically (and I'm stupid to not have foreseen this), the agnates of the Plantagenets are also coded into the game as far back as Chrotgar du Mans, who in the game is born in 700 (the devs also bugger up the genealogy somewhat to get to this point, but never mind). This makes selecting an ancestor of the Plantagenets to use for a dummy character difficult; you could just recode any of them, or go back even further, but you're going to create some weird anomalies if anyone does decide to go snooping through the family trees. Alternatively, if you don't mind a woman being set as the dynasty founder, you could use one of Geoffrey of Anjou's unimportant (read: not coded into the game) grandmothers; since their houses aren't going to get added to the fray under normal marriage anyway, it'll at least look less weird, so that's what I've done here (I also didn't bother recoding her husband's children, so the ways in which I've actually fudged the genealogy to make her the founder won't as readily show up anyway).

Code:
# history/characters/plantagenet.txt
plantagenet_dummy = {
    name = BE_atrice # Béatrice de Macon
    female = yes
    dynasty = 106 # Plantagenet
    religion = "catholic"
    culture = french

974.1.1 = {
        birth = yes
    }
    998.1.1 = {
        add_spouse = 168052
    }
    1011.1.1 = {
        death = yes
    }
}

Code:
# common/coat_of_arms/coat_of_arms/plantagenet.txt
# Not really necessary, but hey, it's one line
106 = k_england_norman

Code:
# in your event
set_house = character:plantagenet_dummy.house

For a general case, you can make a custom dynasty, then replace 106 in the code above with whatever key you give it here.

So what if you want to create the Plantagenets as a cadet branch? This can be easy or impossible, depending on your needs. If you want to be able to dynamically create it from any dynasty, well, as far as I know, you're out of luck. On the other hand, if your goal is to specifically create it as a cadet branch of the House of Anjou, as you may have hinted in your original post, things get a lot easier. You simply have to declare the house as a cadet branch of the Angevin dynasty; the house will remain hidden until you set it by event, at which point the character assigned to the house will also be credited as its founder!

Code:
# common/dynasty_houses/plantagenet.txt
debug_plantagenet = {
    name = "dynn_Plantagenet" # Already localized, but you can set a custom loc key here if desired
    dynasty = 723
    motto = dynn_Plantagenet_motto # Optional; a custom loc key
}

Code:
# common/coat_of_arms/coat_of_arms/plantagenet.txt
# N.B. In this case it IS necessary to specify a coat of arms, since it will have no founder at game initialization!
debug_plantagenet = k_england_norman

Code:
# in your event
set_house = house:debug_plantagenet

Is there an heir trait mod like in ck2 out there? Something that will give heirs a trait you can search for.
Tired of scrolling through lists of characters to see if they're heir to something.

Last edited:
Is there a way to get access to the full range of the map in a map mod? I've got the 8K heightmap and I've finally managed to import it into the in-game map editor to clean it up, but as in vanilla, the right side of the map is hidden behind a fog.

I've checked the 00_defines.txt in the base game and it seems like the extents are the full 8192-1x4096-1, so I don't really know where to go from here to fix it.

Hi everyone! This is my first post on this forum. I've been playing since CK2 (and I'm proud to say that its my most played game ever) and now CK3 since release.

I wanted to create a mod that allows the player playing a norse to make the decision to make Ireland viking. So I made a decision that launch an event. Problem is the event work on everything (nickname received, prestige gain etc.) but the new title I created (k_irland) doesn't show. My game is in french but it says something like "without title of".

Anybody got an idea? I've been working on it all day.

EDIT: with the game in english, it says : "Unlanded of has become your Primary Title"

EDIT2: figured out I just had to start a new game for it to work.

Last edited:
Apologies if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find the answer with search or on the wiki and I'm very very new to ck3 modding.

I'm trying to change it so the AI will have differing men at arms limits based on it's income. I *think* it sort of works, but I can't figure out if it's updating as they gain more income and thus should have a higher % of men at arms. I need to be able to check what the MEN_AT_ARMS_EXPENSE_IDEAL variable is in game. It's pre-defined in the defines folder.

Second question, is there a way to check the type of cultural unit a character has? I want to weight the military buildings that boost the cultural unit higher.

Somewhat related question, I'm assuming the actual formula for how the AI declares declares war, decides what to build ect is hard coded so there's no way to view it? I'm tired of randomly changing values and running the game for a long time trying to figure out if the changes I made were sufficient.

Thanks for any help.

I'm trying to write a little event/decision mod that will make all realms match de jure borders exactly down to dukes/counties, where it'll create titles that don't exist if necessary and distribute all the counties properly etc so that every realm tree matches the de jure hierarchy. I've modded PDX games before but never CK3 and I'm a little lost, could use some help. Thanks in advance.

Hi all, two quick questions:
  • How can I create an event which only fires if I have a specific special building? Like Notre Dame for example
  • How can I create an event which only fires if I am building a specific special building? Still Notre Dame for example

• How can I create an event which only fires if I have a specific special building? Like Notre Dame for example
  • How can I create an event which only fires if I am building a specific special building? Still Notre Dame for example
I would try something like this for the first part. No idea for the second. Sorry.
Code:
        any_realm_province = {
            has_building_or_higher = <your_building_name>
        }

Reactions:

I would try something like this for the first part. No idea for the second. Sorry.
Code:
        any_realm_province = {
            has_building_or_higher = <your_building_name>
        }

You might have to do something like completely overwrite common/buildings/00_special_buildings.txt to specify a custom flag on the building(s) you want to check for, similar to how cities, temples, and castles have those terms set as flags in their respective definitions (flag = temple in common/buildings/00_temple_buildings.txt, for example). Then you could (hopefully) use has_construction_with_flag to check for that flag in your event trigger.

Reactions:
Are there Localization commands for leaders of Mercenary Companies? I was experimenting with having Mercenary Companies be named after their leaders. Trying to target the Title targets the holder of the Mercenary Company's capital province.

How to cancel the sequence limit of buliding a new holding type in empty province?I want to building holding type by my ideas, instead of having to build a city, a church then can build a second castle.

How to cancel the sequence limit of buliding a new holding type in empty province?I want to building holding type by my ideas, instead of having to build a city, a church then can build a second castle.
It's in the required_holdings = {} parameter of government types.

Reactions:
In gfx/portraits/portraits_modifiers, the clothes files provides for outfit tags for only limited sets: naked, beggars, bishops and monks. Is there a way to choose other clothing options in events? For instance, could one have a character wear armor in an event portrait when the "trigger" (e.g., at war) for such in the clothes file is not otherwise valid?

Thank you

so does anyone happen to know how the has_gene trigger works?

Because the wiki says the following about its usage which would be: has_gene = { category = X template = Y } but then doesn't specify what a category or a template is.

It also says this as well:
"Does the character have the specified gene template? Only works for morph genes. An interface trigger, can only be used in specific places"

So I was wondering. What are these specific places that it can be used in. And where does one find what the category and template of a gene is

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
How do you update a mod on the Workshop ?

The Wiki says to just upload the mod again but doing that puts it in a sort of limbo state where the mod is visible and enabled in the Launcher but no longer loads any files nor takes effect at game start.

I suspect it has to do with the .MOD file stored at \\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings III\mod\ but no idea how to fix it - nor have any idea if it's just a local problem and does not affect anyone else who has downloaded the mod from the Workshop (maybe the author's version is different)