• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

vickerage

Sergeant
28 Badges
Apr 21, 2014
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • War of the Vikings
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Prison Architect
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • War of the Roses
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
Hi,
I'm trying to configure mercenaries at the moment so they can only be hired within a small distance range. e.g. Rulers from Nottingham say, can only hire mercenaries from the midlands region.

However, even after editing the defines.lua option for mercenary hire distance I notice something:

If the mercenary group has their capital in england, ALL rulers in England can hire them regardless of distance. The mercenaries hire distance only seems to effect mercs from other cultures, e.g. if I am an English ruler on the border with Wales, I have access to ALL English mercs, but only Welsh mercs within the mercenary hire distance (as defined in Defines.lua.

I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing wrong or what conditional_tooltip to use to limit hiring distance. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
I think you can restrict hiring range with 'hire_range' in landed titles and further by playing around with the allow = {} block in the landed titles files. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the reply,
I've just discovered the 'hire_range' option, however even using this in the same manner found in 'landed_titles' file, ALL mercenaries are still available for hire providing you are of the same culture.
Do you have any ideas about what conditions to use in the #Hire Trigger? I'm at a bit of a loss.

It's just the allow = {}, used for title creation for most other titles. There are are a few distance conditions/triggers on the wiki. You could probably use the province number (found on the wiki too) to compare distance from.

I do apologise for coming across as a completely inept twonk but I cannot seem to get it to work. Here is an example set up;
Now as far as I can tell, this is how mercs are set up in the game, and the hire range set to 75 should mean that beyond that distance, these fellas shouldn't show up in the mercs tab.

d_sherwood_archers = {
color={ 25 75 1 }
color2={ 43 60 16 }

capital = 2589 # Gedling
hire_range = 75

# Parent Religion
religion = catholic

# Parent Culture
culture = english

mercenary = yes

title = "CAPTAIN"
foa = "CAPTAIN_FOA"

# Always exists
landless = yes

# Cannot be held as a secondary title
primary = yes

# Cannot be vassalized
independent = yes

strength_growth_per_century = .75

mercenary_type = sherwood_archers_composition
}

Now, according to the hire_range description this value of 75 should overwrite the value in defines.
(hire_range = 1000 - How far away a mercenary title can be hired. If not set, defaults to the MERCENARY_HIRE_DISTANCE_THRESHOLD define)

only it doesn't, for reasons...

I had played about with adding an allow trigger;
# Hire Trigger
allow = {
conditional_tooltip = {
trigger = {
NOT = {
distance = { where = PREV value < 75 }
}
}
}
}

(I've done various configurations of something along these lines, with no good results, I can't find an example in the game where a title uses the distance value, it only seems to be on modifiers for religious spread (01_spread.txt)

I am really stumped.

Try replacing 'where = PREV' with 'where = number', where the number corresponds to the province the mercenary company operates from. You could also try 'where = c_<name>' instead, but I'm not sure it would work.

If your question isn't specifically about CK2Plus, however, you should really post in the general modding forums as many more people will see it.

I think I may have it working using:
# Hire Trigger
allow = {
distance = { where = 2589 value < 75 }
}

I know, I didn't realise this was the CK2Plus section and couldn't delete it before someone had responded. Hopefully this should be solved, I'll make sure it works with the others.
Thanks for the help!