• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Snow Crystal

Design Lead - Crusader Kings 3
Paradox Staff
63 Badges
Jan 22, 2018
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
For the release of the Livy Update we will release some modding guides to help people who want to get into modding Imperator. Though we probably will not have a lot of time to write guides besides the ones already planned, I figured I'd ask the community what sort of guides they would be interested in, for the future.

So what topics would you like to see guides for down the line?

I was considering doing some tutorials a while back but got distracted. Some initial ideas would be:

-Intro guide to understanding the IR scripting language syntax
-Mod compatibiltiy eg not just overwriting the whole defines file when editing only 1 value and otehr best practices

A guide regarding modding scripted GUI would be especially useful, and most appreciated :)

I looked at doing some map mode modding a while back and could find zero information on the topic. If that is possible, a guide would be nice. :)

@Snow Crystal After asking Carlberg, he told me you could be the one that is able to help me and others who are struggling with the 1.3 patch mod compatibility.

"I dont seem able to add new families to the game like in 1.2 cicero (just adding a family to the culture file of the country worked wonders), which extra step am i missing?"
New families used in the game gives me a freeze at 0% when loading a new game. It crashes. What do i need to do to fix this?

@Snow Crystal After asking Carlberg, he told me you could be the one that is able to help me and others who are struggling with the 1.3 patch mod compatibility.

"I dont seem able to add new families to the game like in 1.2 cicero (just adding a family to the culture file of the country worked wonders), which extra step am i missing?"
New families used in the game gives me a freeze at 0% when loading a new game. It crashes. What do i need to do to fix this?

I mean, I can try?

For families there are two files, if I recall correctly, that is affected:
  • The culture files, these are the ones who decide what family name can potentially pop up for anyone of that culture
  • The setup file, where you now add great families as well
    • You have the family section at the top, where you define a family
    • And then the country setup further down, where you have to add the family key to the country
I figure the second part is the issue for you guys, as the first point is more or less the same as it has always been, I'll try to show what the new family setup look like for a country. So if we take a look at the top, we can see these families for Rome.

upload_2019-12-5_9-6-48.png

And then when we move down to country setup, we see that we define the same great families in the country setup for Rome.

upload_2019-12-5_9-7-42.png

You can have characters who are not defined to a family, and they will simply be generated as a minor character when the game is launched.

Ill try to work with that, but my problem is (related to the culture way of adding families) that a default family works perfectly, where a new one (that i added in 1.2 easily) makes the game go ballistic and crash when pressing new game, if theres a country that has the same culture.

Just to clarify, im not using the setup method of setting up great families, just the culture one

Did the way localisations are done change or is mod localisations not showing up in 1.3.1 a bug?