Moddability Questions

• Crusader Kings II Expansion Subscription

Subscribe to the CK II Expansion and enjoy unlimited access to 13 major expansions and more!

• Paradox Midsummer Sale has arrived! Up to 75% off!

Enjoy some sun and song this Midsummer, but when the sun goes down, the fun doesn't have to stop! Paradox has a festive sale on plenty of games to keep your summer nights going!

June 18th - June 30th
  • Crusader Kings III Available Now!

The realm rejoices as Paradox Interactive announces the launch of Crusader Kings III, the latest entry in the publisher’s grand strategy role-playing game franchise. Advisors may now jockey for positions of influence and adversaries should save their schemes for another day, because on this day Crusader Kings III can be purchased on Steam, the Paradox Store, and other major online retailers.

Real Strategy Requires Cunning
Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkgamma

Ma Xamewš Xewaham Kered Fer
30 Badges
Apr 6, 2010
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Sengoku
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
So, hey there folks of the Runemaster subforum :happy:
I'm Darkgamma, otherwise more famous in CK2 circles than elsewhere, but I'm really keen on Runemaster. Basically, even in this early stage of development, the game is exquisite in both looks and function, as far as I could tell; I'm really hyped up for it!

Now, there's the other aspect of the thing. I understand it's a fantasy RPG with inspiration drawn from Norse mythology, yes, but it will not represent it accurately. And that's okay! Artistic liberties can give some truly fantastic stuff! Now, while I'd be delighted to play the game with the original fantasy world, there's a nagging, sore itch inside me to transform the game into an accurate (as far as accuracy is possible) portrayal of the actual Scandinavian world and mythos as seen by the old Norse themselves.
Since it's a Paradox title, I can safely assume that the game will be extensively moddable. What interests me is the exact planned extent of this moddability, so that I may know what the limits of the mod I'm planning to do are, or even whether I should attempt it at all :confused:

I'm wondering:
  • To what extent are races and classes moddable? Can we make our own races and classes? Define their maluses and bonuses?
  • How moddable are the traits? Can we change their effects? Can we define our own? Increase and decrease the amount?
  • How moddable are world entities? Can we add, define and whatnot our own?
  • How moddable is the (predicted) stat system? Can we mod, redefine, add and remove stats?
  • Are the namelists moddable? If yes, to what extent? Are there multiple namelists? What's their usage and how can we link those to entities?
  • What other character information is there?
  • How random is the world? Is it fully procedurally generated or can we define custom preset areas? Can we define the random content pool and placement?
  • Are quests and dialogues moddable? If so, to what extent? Can we change dialogues based on traits, stats, previous actions, quest history, internal flags?
  • Are graphics moddable? Textures, 3D models? Are you still using that unopenable format or will the modding community get an open format :confused:
    • What about the interface?
  • Are the worlds moddable? Can we add and remove worlds, define their characteristics, parameters, content pool etc. ?
  • To what extent are items moddable? Can we define extra item types, slots etc. ?
  • Are abilities moddable? If yes, to what extent? Can we add and remove abilities, change their effects etc. ?
  • Can items in the world be interacted with? If yes, to what extent? Can we add custom interactions? Change internal flags, stats etc. with those interactions? Can we change, add or remove those items from the world?
I have some more questions :laugh: - but so far this will do. I understand that many of these questions might go unanswered or even not be answerable at all at this point in time (heh sorry bout that), but I'm otherwise quite curious. Cheers :)

Thure

Chartularius Hamburgensis
54 Badges
May 13, 2009
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Sengoku
  • Rome Gold
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • East India Company Collection
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Stellaris
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • 500k Club
  • War of the Roses
  • Victoria 2
They already confirmed that classes and races are moddable and you can make own. You can also make own traits (level up traits) and mage. They already confirmed that the game is really moddable. Own worlds too, yes. It would be strange if the namelists aren't moddable (Norse names in an Aztec world?). The only problem with own classes and races would be the graphic...

[*]Are quests and dialogues moddable? If so, to what extent? Can we change dialogues based on traits, stats, previous actions, quest history, internal flags?

Confirmed. They said quests work similiar to events in CK2 (in terms of modability). With triggers etc.

Birken

Mastermind
4 Badges
Sep 28, 2009
  • March of the Eagles
  • Pirates of Black Cove
  • 500k Club
  • Paradox Order
  • To what extent are races and classes moddable? Can we make our own races and classes? Define their maluses and bonuses?
    Yes. Add/remove/modify.
  • How moddable are the traits? Can we change their effects? Can we define our own? Increase and decrease the amount?
    All of it.
  • How moddable are world entities? Can we add, define and whatnot our own?
    Some basic functionality like troop recruitment that is tied to interfaces is more static. Most of it can by bypassed and exchanged with dialog if you want to alter the system completely though.
  • How moddable is the (predicted) stat system? Can we mod, redefine, add and remove stats?
    No. The combat mechanics can be tweaked, but not redesigned.
  • Are the namelists moddable? If yes, to what extent? Are there multiple namelists? What's their usage and how can we link those to entities?
    Not sure what you're after, but all names are written to moddable scriptfiles.
  • What other character information is there?
    Read the DDs.
  • How random is the world? Is it fully procedurally generated or can we define custom preset areas? Can we define the random content pool and placement?
    There's a lot of control if needed, certain areas can be more heavily specified than others.
  • Are quests and dialogues moddable? If so, to what extent? Can we change dialogues based on traits, stats, previous actions, quest history, internal flags?
    Quests and dialogues are completely moddable. Yes to all of the above.
  • Are graphics moddable? Textures, 3D models? Are you still using that unopenable format or will the modding community get an open format :confused:
    This is something that we're still discussing. Textures are obviously moddable, but the model
  • What about the interface?
    Functionality only moddable to a small extent. Otherwise similar to all of our other games.
  • Are the worlds moddable? Can we add and remove worlds, define their characteristics, parameters, content pool etc. ?
    Fully moddable.
  • To what extent are items moddable? Can we define extra item types, slots etc. ?
    Yes.
  • Are abilities moddable? If yes, to what extent? Can we add and remove abilities, change their effects etc. ?
    There are some basic groups of functionality (ie attack abilities, spawn abilities...), but most of it is moddable and in scripts. Graphical states also moddable.
  • Can items in the world be interacted with? If yes, to what extent? Can we add custom interactions? Change internal flags, stats etc. with those interactions? Can we change, add or remove those items from the world?
    Yes. Interaction effects are scripted as any other effect (similar to CK2 or EU4). If you need more complex interactions you can add dialogue to items, thus enabling all functionality in dialogue. You can certainly despawn items after use.

Darkgamma

Ma Xamewš Xewaham Kered Fer
30 Badges
Apr 6, 2010
  • Sengoku
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • 500k Club
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris Sign-up
[Snipped Goodness]
Blessed be, that's fantastic news (and yeah I'll read the DDs, I'm pretty new around these parts so I didn't know much)

Edit: also, pretty please - use a more accessible 3D model format maybe, it will enable modders such as me to create wonderful new stuff :happy:

aruon

UwU?
58 Badges
Mar 21, 2012
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Surviving Mars
  • Steel Division: Normand 44 Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Sign Up
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
Blessed be, that's fantastic news (and yeah I'll read the DDs, I'm pretty new around these parts so I didn't know much)

Edit: also, pretty please - use a more accessible 3D model format maybe, it will enable modders such as me to create wonderful new stuff :happy:

i expected as much:). glad to see a unique Clausewitz engine game is moddable as ever.

as for 3D models, on the HOI4 forums (way back on page 9 currently) podcat said this:
We wont have a model exporter for modders to use. Its however something we one day want to make possible because I want to see cool total conversion mods etc.

if 3D model modding becomes feasible i hope to god that multiple model input formats are compatible. like those used by garry's mod and source filmmaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.