• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Thanks very much! Updated version will arrive soon-ish.

No problem. I can see if I'll get to the dynasties today.

I've added a new version. There's now a chance for the Zulus to appear in Mali instead of Ethiopia. The MTTH is 28 months for Mali and 24 months for Ethiopia, so they'll appear in Ethiopia a bit more often than in Mali. Also made some minor localisation tweaks.

Coming soon or later to a forum near you, if I feel like it: events for when Zulus conquer key cities (currently thinking Timbuktu, something in Ethiopia, Marrakesh, Alexandria/Cairo, Mecca, Jerusalem, and Cordoba). If/when this gets done, I think this mod will be close to Sunset Invasion in terms of quality and quantity of content, which is what I'm aiming for.

Edit: added a screenshot of a Zulu Mali/Mauretania, in case you don't believe me :p

Last edited:
Hey, sorry for not posting the dynasties earlier. I already finished them a few days ago but I forgot. Anyways, I have about 10-15 dynasties here, mostly just clan and tribe names.

The code for them is below (you can change the numbers to whatever you want, they're just placeholders):

Code:
9999999987 = {
	name="Zulu"
	culture = zulu
}
9999999988 = {
	name="Qwaba"
	culture = zulu
}
9999999989 = {
	name="Silongo"
	culture = zulu
}
9999999990 = {
	name="Hlanganani"
	culture = zulu
}
9999999991 = {
	name="Kaleni"
	culture = zulu
}
9999999992 = {
	name="Mathebula"
	culture = zulu
}	
9999999993 = {
	name="Ndebele"
	culture = zulu
}
9999999994 = {
	name="Mabuza"
	culture = zulu
}
9999999995 = {
	name="Shabangu"
	culture = zulu
}
9999999996 = {
	name="Sibanyoni"
	culture = zulu
}
9999999997 = {
	name="Nkosi"
	culture = zulu
}
9999999998 = {
	name="Dlamini"
	culture = zulu
}
9999999999 = {
	name="Mhaule"
	culture = zulu
}

My suggestion is to make the ruling dynasty the Zulus, as it was the Zulu clan that founded the Zulus and later the Zulu Empire in the first place.

Hey, sorry for not posting the dynasties earlier. I already finished them a few days ago but I forgot. Anyways, I have about 10-15 dynasties here, mostly just clan and tribe names.

My suggestion is to make the ruling dynasty the Zulus, as it was the Zulu clan that founded the Zulus and later the Zulu Empire in the first place.

No worries, I'm in no rush to get this "done". Good stuff :). I'll try to make the Zulus the ruling dynasty. I'll add this in either in a few days or when I write some flavor events, whichever is sooner.

Excellent idea, love this kind of flavor mods!

My suggestion though to keep it as it is, compatible with all other mods, that way we can always run it :D. It is a fantastic way of doing a mod, if you use any map changes etc, please allow them to be optional.

One thing on my mind is, if they don't get mercs or holy orders, will they get any special advantage in buildings etc to help them survive past the initial push? You could of course have an event raise a few hundred soldiers each time they are declared war on. I used to have this going on in England when I modded boadicea, and other pagan figures, giving her some staying power against the inevitable holy orders and doomstacks :D. I think I just used the war flag if I remember right, but its been ages since i modded.

Excellent idea, love this kind of flavor mods!

My suggestion though to keep it as it is, compatible with all other mods, that way we can always run it :D. It is a fantastic way of doing a mod, if you use any map changes etc, please allow them to be optional.

One thing on my mind is, if they don't get mercs or holy orders, will they get any special advantage in buildings etc to help them survive past the initial push? You could of course have an event raise a few hundred soldiers each time they are declared war on. I used to have this going on in England when I modded boadicea, and other pagan figures, giving her some staying power against the inevitable holy orders and doomstacks :D. I think I just used the war flag if I remember right, but its been ages since i modded.

Don't worry, it's going to remain compatible with everything :)
Edit: on this note, this is why I'm not going to make a unique Unkulunkulu religion symbol; it'd clash with any mod that adds religions, and would also clash with vanilla if future updates ever add more religions. It's just a tiny icon anyway, so no big loss.

There's an event for other hordes that gives them reinforcements a while after the initial push. I didn't make one for the Zulus, but I could put it in the next update very easily. I haven't observed them much beyond about 20 years after the initial push, so I'm still not sure how well they do in the long run.

Last edited:
What's the way to stop the Zulu from dominating all of Europe? Religion settling like the Mongols?

They won't be changing religion, but if they behave much like the Aztecs they'll eventually (after 2-3 "big" invasions) run out of steam and stop expanding, then probably get bogged down in revolts for decades. They're also inherently weaker than the Mongols due to the lack of any horse archers or heavy cavalry.

Last edited:
Update!

- Added Zulu dynasties by cybrxkhan. In addition, the leader of the Zulus is of the Zulu dynasty
- The Heavy Infantry in the spawned Zulu stacks have been replaced by Pikemen (so you're less likely to see Zulus wearing heavy armour)
- Added Zulu cultural building, the Stick Fighting Grounds, which grants additional Pikemen and increases Pikemen offense
- Added flavor events that trigger when the Zulus conquer Timbuktu or Gondar
- Added a reinforcement event for the Zulus, similar to the standard horde reinforcement events

Compatible with older versions in case you were wondering, though it won't change any existing character's dynasties or Zulu army composition if the Zulus have already arrived.

Last edited:
Excellent will be trying out the new changes now!

Do they still show up with the mongols, or did you fix that in later versions? I had my mongol events coming earlier and they showed up with the ilkhanate, same units etc, which might of been why they showed up as a flag wasn't triggered by that point in my modded game.

I will go turn the mongols back to their usual dates, as I don't need them coming earlier anyway with aztecs and zulus :).

Thank you for the work!

Excellent will be trying out the new changes now!

Do they still show up with the mongols, or did you fix that in later versions? I had my mongol events coming earlier and they showed up with the ilkhanate, same units etc, which might of been why they showed up as a flag wasn't triggered by that point in my modded game.

I will go turn the mongols back to their usual dates, as I don't need them coming earlier anyway with aztecs and zulus :).

Thank you for the work!

Glad you're enjoying it

My brain is a bit (medicinally!) drug addled right now, which may be why I don't understand your meaning. Are you saying that Mongols are appearing abnormally earlier? The Ilkhanate event chain starts in 1215 in vanilla and I haven't touched it. Are the Mongols appearing in the wrong place? I haven't intentionally changed anything about the Mongol invasions, so if they're affected in any way please let me know so I can sort it out when I'm more lucid :)

Glad you're enjoying it

My brain is a bit (medicinally!) drug addled right now, which may be why I don't understand your meaning. Are you saying that Mongols are appearing abnormally earlier? The Ilkhanate event chain starts in 1215 in vanilla and I haven't touched it. Are the Mongols appearing in the wrong place? I haven't intentionally changed anything about the Mongol invasions, so if they're affected in any way please let me know so I can sort it out when I'm more lucid :)

I modded the mongols to appear earlier.

When they did the Zulu empire showed up with the ilkhanate in the exact same place, at the exact same time with the exact same forces. They were not at war with anyone. I recall this happened in another mod someone did awhile ago, they found a fix but I can't remember the thread off hand.

Below if you expand it, you will see the Zulu's highlighted with the Ilkhanate around them. The Zulu's are not fighting anyone as of yet, as they don't exist as a title, just troops.

ResizedInvasion.jpg

I mention the dates as it could have been that you'd set a flag after the Zulu invaded, which would normally occur before the mongols came. Either way I have reverted the mongol invasions back to their previous dates, and will test for you, but quickly firing off the mongol events in a brand new 1066 start - (ilkhanate events) would show you anyway if it was a one off or a repeatable issue.

-edit
It might also be worth firing the aztecs early as well to test.

Could you make this easily be usable as a platform for invasions? Me want Fatimids in Westeros. ;)

Invasion events are really easy to write. It's mostly a matter of copy/pasting the Mongol events, changing the variables as appropriate, and writing some new localisation. It's quite possible that this mod would work alongside Game of Thrones, though I haven't reinstalled that mod since my HD crashed about a month ago so I'm not sure if GoT has provinces 880, 881, etc (where the Zulus would appear). So these invasion events are very adaptable. Fatimids in Westeros specifically is an interesting one, since I'm not entirely sure about whether you'd have to re-add Muslim religions, Arab cultures, landed titles, flags, etc. Totally do-able though.

I modded the mongols to appear earlier.

When they did the Zulu empire showed up with the ilkhanate in the exact same place, at the exact same time with the exact same forces. They were not at war with anyone. I recall this happened in another mod someone did awhile ago, they found a fix but I can't remember the thread off hand.

Below if you expand it, you will see the Zulu's highlighted with the Ilkhanate around them. The Zulu's are not fighting anyone as of yet, as they don't exist as a title, just troops.

I mention the dates as it could have been that you'd set a flag after the Zulu invaded, which would normally occur before the mongols came. Either way I have reverted the mongol invasions back to their previous dates, and will test for you, but quickly firing off the mongol events in a brand new 1066 start - (ilkhanate events) would show you anyway if it was a one off or a repeatable issue.

Ah I see. That really shouldn't be happening. Let me know how the testing goes, I'll try to do something about it ASAP if this occurs under vanilla conditions. Even considering that you changed the mongol arrival date, it's very strange that this would have any impact on Zulus.

Edit: I MAY have found the issue. If I'm right, this won't happen in vanilla (or rather any setup that doesn't change mongol or mongol-like invasions to begin earlier than 1150) due to flags only being set in a certain order on certain dates. Manually firing these events before they're meant to happen could indeed cause weirdness. Try your tests, but if the issue still happens try the following:
1. Go to zulu_events in the mod folder, and find the trigger section of ZI.2 (# Arrival of the Zulu - ethiopia)
2. Add the trigger has_global_flag = zulu_rumors
3. Do the same for the following event (Zulus arrive in Mali)
This should stop the Zulus appearing at weird places and times alongside other hordes. I'll put this in the mod next time I update.

Last edited:
Invasion events are really easy to write. It's mostly a matter of copy/pasting the Mongol events, changing the variables as appropriate, and writing some new localisation. It's quite possible that this mod would work alongside Game of Thrones, though I haven't reinstalled that mod since my HD crashed about a month ago so I'm not sure if GoT has provinces 880, 881, etc (where the Zulus would appear). So these invasion events are very adaptable. Fatimids in Westeros specifically is an interesting one, since I'm not entirely sure about whether you'd have to re-add Muslim religions, Arab cultures, landed titles, flags, etc. Totally do-able though.
Ok. But I think you should upload a tutorial.