• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

neondt

Game Design Lead
Paradox Staff
79 Badges
Jul 24, 2011
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Sengoku
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • March of the Eagles
  • Magicka
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • 500k Club
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
zulushitshit-1.png

Now compatible with Project Balance, SWMH, PB+SWMH, and TPATT

Features:
  • Zulu culture, dynasties, cultural buildings, religion, retinues and flavour
  • Invasion event chain starting in 1150
  • Zulu warriors arriving in either Mali or Ethiopia
  • Ahistorical gameplay!
  • Project Balance and SWMH compatible versions

Screenshots:
Zulus in Tumbuktu:
ck24v.png

Zulus in Ethiopia and beyond:
ck22.png

Zulus in Mali and Mauretania:
ck23o.png
Highly recommended: the African sprite and portrait DLC's. Otherwise Zulus look like Arabs, which is just silly.
Credits: Zulu names and dynasties by cybrxkhan, title art by Deryk
Note: Remember to put this in the CK2 directory of My Documents, as you may experience strange bugs if you keep it in the main game directory. Same goes for any mod.

Download:

Zulu Invasion for vanilla
Should work with anything that uses the vanilla map, so long as it doesn't modify the Tribal Invasion CB
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?ypd6oyyw9tl3kg4

Zulu Invasion for Project Balance
Works with anything that uses the PB map
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?x7b23x3cpq6u78z

Zulu Invasion for SWMH
Works with mods that use the SWMH map, notably TPATT
If you use Project Balance + SWMH, download this version rather than the Project Balance version
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?12pw2rf21ws02iq

Last edited:
Awesome! This is exactly the good thing I was hoping to have come out of the dlc. I won't be able to play this for a while but I appreciate it and will in the future.
What about having some kind of hibernian invasion to go with Ard Ri? Descendants of Saint Brendan or something. Atlanteans would be great too.

I dig it.

How often do the Zulu invade? Is it a sure thing every game? It'd be nice to have some flags to prevent Mongols, Aztecs, Zulus, whatever other wacky ahistorical invasions turn up... from all showing up in the same game and mucking up the world too much...

Didn't the Zulu people not exist until the late 1500s when they founded by the House of Zulu? Shouldn't there be a better African group of people that could invade in this time period? Although I really do like the idea of an African invasion. Makes more sense than the Aztec one anyway.

EDIT: Any chance I could convince you to make a Kanem Empire invasion mod? Even got some info on the ruling dynasty. I am kind of surprised they aren't in the game already especially since their empire had a huge trading route that connected with the Mali Empire, Egypt, Morocco, and Ethiopia.

Last edited:
Can we have an Inuit invasion from the North? Then we would have some fun coming in from all sides of the map.

Didn't the Zulu people not exist until the late 1500s when they founded by the House of Zulu? Shouldn't there be a better African group of people that could invade in this time period? Although I really do like the idea of an African invasion. Makes more sense than the Aztec one anyway.

Well the Aztecs really didn't exist until the 1400's. Doesn't stop them from invading in 1250.

Last edited:

EDIT: Any chance I could convince you to make a Kanem Empire invasion mod? Even got some info on the ruling dynasty. I am kind of surprised they aren't in the game already especially since their empire had a huge trading route that connected with the Mali Empire, Egypt, Morocco, and Ethiopia.

The Zulus invade in 1150 because... idk. Would you buy time travel as an explanation? This is a mod from the Sunset Invasion school of historical plausibility (though as Cuthuthulu points out it's slightly more plausible than that) :p.
Edit: Alternatively, you could think of them as invaders of vaguely Nguni/Bantu origin who are called Zulus for the sake of familiarity.

As for Kanem, isn't there a mod that adds in a load of African provinces between Mali and Ethiopia? I think the best way to represent them would be to actually put them on the map, which isn't my field of expertise.

Last edited:
Can we have an Inuit invasion from the North? Then we would have some fun coming in from all sides of the map.

I'd actually do that if the appropriate graphical resources were available. I released a Zulu mod because Paradox had already provided me with all the graphics necessary to make it look right, content which otherwise doesn't get a lot of use unless you play as Mali or Abyssinia. Don't really have that for Inuits; dressing them like Aztecs would be crazy - they'd freeze to death!

@ rbc1989: The invasion is as sure as any Mongol invasion. Pretty much guaranteed. Making invasions more varied is a cool idea though.

If you call them specifically "aztecs", then they definitely exist in 1250. I can develop if you want but unless you call them mexicah, and since they didn't appear out of thin air, then you're still referring to an existing group of individuals.

Then Viking invasion by the descendants of Erik the red from Greenland and Vinland from the north? Or there could be a Santa Claus invasion :p.

If you need help I can try to compile a Zulu name and dynasty list for you. It'll probably just be a somewhat crappy one based off of Wikipedia pages and random internet sources, but if you need one I can do it.

Looks interesting, anyways.

If you need help I can try to compile a Zulu name and dynasty list for you. It'll probably just be a somewhat crappy one based off of Wikipedia pages and random internet sources, but if you need one I can do it.

Looks interesting, anyways.

That'd be great, thanks for the offer. Don't worry too much about authenticity, anything that isn't the current list will be an improvement :) If you could compile the list in the format found of the culture files, that'd greatly speed up implementation. Of course, I'll be sure to credit you for anything you contribute.

I think it might be better if they invaded West Africa, that corner of the map sees less action (especially when you consider where the Zulus would go after finishing up the Ethiopians, Egypt and Arabia).

I think it might be better if they invaded West Africa, that corner of the map sees less action (especially when you consider where the Zulus would go after finishing up the Ethiopians, Egypt and Arabia).

I decided on Ethiopia initially because it's somewhat closer to the region the Zulus are coming from, and because I was a bit concerned that the Zulus would predictably conquer Mali, Mauretania, and maybe Africa (the kingdom) or Andalusia, then get stomped by European crusades. Putting them in Mali only gives them 1 potential route of expansion, while their path is more unpredictable in Ethiopia. That said I'm planning on adding in a chance (50% most likely) that they'll appear in Mali rather than Ethiopia, just for the sake of uncertainty.

As for Kanem, isn't there a mod that adds in a load of African provinces between Mali and Ethiopia? I think the best way to represent them would be to actually put them on the map, which isn't my field of expertise.

It's not compatible with 1.08 (landed titles needs redoing etc), but feel free to use anything from it if you want.

That'd be great, thanks for the offer. Don't worry too much about authenticity, anything that isn't the current list will be an improvement :) If you could compile the list in the format found of the culture files, that'd greatly speed up implementation. Of course, I'll be sure to credit you for anything you contribute.

I've put up a Zulu name list in the new cultures thread, specifically here. Now put it to good use!

I've put up a Zulu name list in the new cultures thread, specifically here. Now put it to good use!

Thanks very much! Updated version will arrive soon-ish

Edit: Update done, replaced download link and added credits. Also Zulu religion is now "playable".

Last edited: