• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I got 2 questions that may have been ask before. Pardon me if it's the case. I'm on 2.6.3 with the 0.7 version

1. how to you take back a county from the wilderness. I want to get Tor Byd.

2. is there a reason I can't create the kingdom of Angren?

View attachment 271279
To obtain that tower, you need to have a sorcerer or/and wizard to get it (It does it automatically). You might have to just console command the Kingdom of Angren.

You all are asking the wrong questions here, the real hard boiled question that needs to be answered is:

Will there be a possible Geralt X Ciri event to get the fan-fiction-ed romance of the White Wolf getting jiggly with his adopted daughter, Cirilla Fiona Elen Riannon, AKA Ciri.

After all, in the words of Sapkowski, Świat się zmienia, słońce zachodzi, a wódka się kończy [The world is changing, sun is setting and we're running out of Vodka.]

So let us make this event so.

Very interested in that as well..

But more importantly wanted to say Kudos to dev team, what an awesome mod. After long while, gave this a try, loving it.. Keep up the good work

Development Diary - Dice Poker

More than a year ago, I got that idea of implementing the Dice Poker mini-game from the Witcher video games in Witcher Kings...
As CK2 patches introduced variables and scripted trigger/effects, it was indeed becoming technically feasible: dice can be represented by variables ranging 1-6, and the board simply consists of outputting variables in the localized description of an event...

upload_2017-7-6_1-18-34.png

All what was remaining were the implementation details ^^
I've struggled a lot with the randomness (see section below), and also painfully discovered that repeat_event should never be used in another scope than ROOT - otherwise it messes the scope chain (FROM, FROMFROM, ...).
The first implementation was quick & dirty and could only be played from one side with a dumb AI, so I finally had to rewrite the event chain more cleanly, once I knew where it was actually going.

The rules

The rules are based on TW2, mainly because it's a slightly easier to implement than TW1.

Each game consists of a single round, composed of two rolls:
  • After the initial bets (0.5 gold), each player rolls the dice once
  • Players can then decide (in turn) to check, raise (0.5 gold), call or resign
  • Then each player decide which dice to re-roll, or to pass.
  • The winner is the one with the best combination (Five-of-a-kind > Four-of-a-kind > Full House > Six-high straight > Five-high straight > Three-of-a-kind > Two pairs > One pair).
  • In case both player have the same combination, the one with the highest combination value wins (One pair of 2s > One pair of 1s).
  • In case of same combination of same value or no combination, the values of the remaining dice are used to decide.
  • If the hands are exactly identical (five same dice), then it's a draw.
upload_2017-7-6_1-22-42.png

Gambler trait

There was already a Gambler lifestyle trait in the mod (though not used in events). With WoL it became somehow redundant with the Game Master lifestyle trait.
So I've switched it to a personality trait:
upload_2017-7-6_1-12-59.png

upload_2017-7-6_1-13-46.png

As a comparison, if a Gambler can hardly resist playing few dice games in the tavern, a Game Master would make it a full time job and participate in high stake tournaments.

Play a game of Dice Poker

The mini-game is triggered via a targeted decision.
It requires the characters to be at the same location, and the AI will accept if it has the Gambler trait, has a positive opinion of the player, and is not at war with the player (no dice poker during sieges).
Because CK2 doesn't simulate the economy for courtiers, they are usually poor (0 gold), so their wealth is not a condition (they'll just have negative gold if they lose)

upload_2017-7-6_1-16-2.png

The game events work from both sides (i.e. should work in multiplayer), so the player may sometime receive an invitation from a wealthy gambler AI at court (with an anti-spam timer).
The decision won't be used between AI characters, for performances (and because it would be pointless, as a simple event could simulate the 50/50 outcome).

The decision doesn't require the player to be a Gambler, and in fact winning a game gives a chance to gain the gambler trait.

Determining the winner

The following steps are used for each player:
  • Count the number 1s, 2s, 3s, etc.
  • Check if the player matches a combination, starting from the best possible (Five-of-a-Kind of 6s, Five-of-a-Kind of 5s, ... , One pair of 2s , One pair of 1s)
  • Store the value of the dice in the combination in rank 1 variable (and also rank 2 variable for Full House and Two pairs)
  • Determine the remaining 'lone' dice rank, and store them in a variable (1s + 2s*10 + 3s*100 + ...)

Then between the 2 players try to find a winner by:
  • Checking if a combination is better
  • If same combination, checking if the rank 1 (and rank 2) values of the combination are higher
  • If same rank(s) or no combination, comparing the 'lone' dice variable
  • If same 'lone' dice rank, then it's a draw.

Which dice to re-roll ?

It's possible to select the dice to re-roll one by one:

upload_2017-7-6_1-20-23.png

But it's a bit painful, and most of the time you just want to keep your Pair or Three-of-a-kind, and re-roll the rest.
This is also exactly what the AI needs to decide which dice to re-roll (i.e. keeping all dice with rank 1 and rank 2 values, if any).

upload_2017-7-6_1-20-41.png

Randomness

There's a bit of an issue with the random number generator: it's not completely random...
Because all events happen instantly, the same seed is re-used, and it happens that both players will roll the same values, except for a shift of one dice.
Now, with patch 2.7 and some hidden ping events, it seems a bit better, but no guarantee that the game is not rigged !

Potential further ideas

The mod has some opposite congenital traits "Lucky" and "Cursed", that are not widely used in events yet. It could be interesting that these traits sometimes influence the dice roll, making lucky character slightly more likely to win. Currently you just get a chance to gain the Lucky trait by rolling a Five-of-a-kind combination.

High stake tournaments, with larger bets and multiple games/rounds ?

Development Diary - Dice Poker

More than a year ago, I got that idea of implementing the Dice Poker mini-game from the Witcher video games in Witcher Kings...
As CK2 patches introduced variables and scripted trigger/effects, it was indeed becoming technically feasible: dice can be represented by variables ranging 1-6, and the board simply consists of outputting variables in the localized description of an event...

View attachment 282535

All what was remaining were the implementation details ^^
I've struggled a lot with the randomness (see section below), and also painfully discovered that repeat_event should never be used in another scope than ROOT - otherwise it messes the scope chain (FROM, FROMFROM, ...).
The first implementation was quick & dirty and could only be played from one side with a dumb AI, so I finally had to rewrite the event chain more cleanly, once I knew where it was actually going.

The rules

The rules are based on TW2, mainly because it's a slightly easier to implement than TW1.

Each game consists of a single round, composed of two rolls:
  • After the initial bets (0.5 gold), each player rolls the dice once
  • Players can then decide (in turn) to check, raise (0.5 gold), call or resign
  • Then each player decide which dice to re-roll, or to pass.
  • The winner is the one with the best combination (Five-of-a-kind > Four-of-a-kind > Full House > Six-high straight > Five-high straight > Three-of-a-kind > Two pairs > One pair).
  • In case both player have the same combination, the one with the highest combination value wins (One pair of 2s > One pair of 1s).
  • In case of same combination of same value or no combination, the values of the remaining dice are used to decide.
  • If the hands are exactly identical (five same dice), then it's a draw.
View attachment 282540

Gambler trait

There was already a Gambler lifestyle trait in the mod (though not used in events). With WoL it became somehow redundant with the Game Master lifestyle trait.
So I've switched it to a personality trait:
View attachment 282530
View attachment 282532

As a comparison, if a Gambler can hardly resist playing few dice games in the tavern, a Game Master would make it a full time job and participate in high stake tournaments.

Play a game of Dice Poker

The mini-game is triggered via a targeted decision.
It requires the characters to be at the same location, and the AI will accept if it has the Gambler trait, has a positive opinion of the player, and is not at war with the player (no dice poker during sieges).
Because CK2 doesn't simulate the economy for courtiers, they are usually poor (0 gold), so their wealth is not a condition (they'll just have negative gold if they lose)

View attachment 282534

The game events work from both sides (i.e. should work in multiplayer), so the player may sometime receive an invitation from a wealthy gambler AI at court (with an anti-spam timer).
The decision won't be used between AI characters, for performances (and because it would be pointless, as a simple event could simulate the 50/50 outcome).

The decision doesn't require the player to be a Gambler, and in fact winning a game gives a chance to gain the gambler trait.

Determining the winner

The following steps are used for each player:
  • Count the number 1s, 2s, 3s, etc.
  • Check if the player matches a combination, starting from the best possible (Five-of-a-Kind of 6s, Five-of-a-Kind of 5s, ... , One pair of 2s , One pair of 1s)
  • Store the value of the dice in the combination in rank 1 variable (and also rank 2 variable for Full House and Two pairs)
  • Determine the remaining 'lone' dice rank, and store them in a variable (1s + 2s*10 + 3s*100 + ...)

Then between the 2 players try to find a winner by:
  • Checking if a combination is better
  • If same combination, checking if the rank 1 (and rank 2) values of the combination are higher
  • If same rank(s) or no combination, comparing the 'lone' dice variable
  • If same 'lone' dice rank, then it's a draw.

Which dice to re-roll ?

It's possible to select the dice to re-roll one by one:

View attachment 282538

But it's a bit painful, and most of the time you just want to keep your Pair or Three-of-a-kind, and re-roll the rest.
This is also exactly what the AI needs to decide which dice to re-roll (i.e. keeping all dice with rank 1 and rank 2 values, if any).

View attachment 282539

Randomness

There's a bit of an issue with the random number generator: it's not completely random...
Because all events happen instantly, the same seed is re-used, and it happens that both players will roll the same values, except for a shift of one dice.
Now, with patch 2.7 and some hidden ping events, it seems a bit better, but no guarantee that the game is not rigged !

Potential further ideas

The mod has some opposite congenital traits "Lucky" and "Cursed", that are not widely used in events yet. It could be interesting that these traits sometimes influence the dice roll, making lucky character slightly more likely to win. Currently you just get a chance to gain the Lucky trait by rolling a Five-of-a-kind combination.

High stake tournaments, with larger bets and multiple games/rounds ?

Looks like fun.
Btw that Geralt portrait is amazing.

Witcher Kings 0.8.0 is now released, and compatible with vanilla 2.7.1 !

Automatic .exe installer for Windows (recommended): Witcher_Kings_0.8.0.exe.zip
Installation instructions:
- Launch the Witcher_Kings_0.8.0.exe
- Select your CK2 mod folder, in case it is not the default one (Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II\mod)
- Wait for the installation to complete.
- Launch CK2
- Select the mod "Witcher Kings" in the Mod tab
- Play!

Manual install (Windows/Linux/Mac): Witcher_Kings_0.8.0.zip
Installation instructions:
- Important: remove any Witcher mod folder and .mod file inside Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II\mod
- Clear your gfx cache, by deleting the folder Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II\Witcher\gfx
- Extract the downloaded zip archive
- Copy its content (Witcher.mod file and Witcher folder) to Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II\mod
- Launch CK2
- Select the mod "Witcher Kings" in the Mod tab
- Play!

It is mainly a compatibility & bugfix release, but also have few new features, including a Dice Poker mini-game (see the development diary above).

Note that previous saves are NOT compatible.

Check out the mod wiki page: http://www.ckiiwiki.com/Witcher_Kings
And don't hesitate to report bugs, or provide feedback and ideas !
If you want to help out with the mod, there's a lot to do (societies, artifacts, ...) - contact me !

Full 0.8.0 changelog:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
v0.8.0 2017-07-08
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Compatibility with vanilla 2.7.1

Note: vanilla societies are disabled.

Features:
- Implement a Dice Poker mini-game
- Rules are based on TW2 (single round with two rolls)
- Event chain is triggered via a targeted decision, requiring characters to be at the same location, and the AI will accept if it has the Gambler trait, has a positive opinion of the player, and is not at war with the player.
- Change gambler trait from lifestyle to personality trait
- Add canon characters with gambler trait, based on video games
- Create fictional baronies (Aedirn, Angren, Kaedwan, Kovir & Poviss, Lyria Rivia and part of Nilfgaard) for prosperity mechanic, courtesy of @tsf4
- Create fictional baronies to avoid duplicated names in same county, courtesy of @tsf4
- Remove decision toggles, as patch 2.7 has made the intrigue UI larger
- Add heal/protect spell decisions for filter=self, as required with patch 2.7
- Add obedient (AI accepts diplomatic interactions) and non_interference (AI doesn't take hostile actions) to the charm spell.
- Add an off-map job action to court magicians, to prevent the idle councillor alert icon
- Tweak some music DLC triggers based on religions & cultures and add missing ones
- Merge music DLC titles & volumes info
- Use a trait hidden from others for Saskia, allow her to marry but being infertile.
- Use "Church of" prefix for the Eternal Fire religious title
- Use "District of" prefix for some Novigrad holdings
- Rename "Wieczny Ogien" province to "Temple Isle"
- Rename "Wyzima Castle" holding to "The Royal Palace"

Bugfix:
- Apply some missing changes from WoL 2.3.x patches, that were causing nasty bugs ('Break up with lover' decision not having effect, broken WoL events, etc.)
- Allow Nilfgaard invasion via neighbour sea provinces (Skellige, ...)
- Fix 'Become exalted' ambition success check, and increase diplomacy attribute instead of learning
- Move Lebioda holy site from Novigrad to Temple Isle county
- Restrict non-aggression pact event with other races for racist rulers
- Fix some character characteristics, courtesy of @Paxter Redwyne
- Fix Artorius Vigo's sex
- Rename Queen Meve's son Anseis
- Make Baron Ravanen Kimbolt one eyed and older
- Make Niedamir a widower
- Fix misspelling of Dijkstra

Attachments

• Witcher_Kings_0.8.0.zip
    48,6 MB · Views: 215
  • Witcher_Kings_0.8.0.exe.zip
    42,9 MB · Views: 361
@Romulien - do you still need fictional baronies in some places? I quit because I thought the mod was dead...

@Romulien - do you still need fictional baronies in some places? I quit because I thought the mod was dead...

If you have some time, I believe part of Nilfgaard was still missing ? :)
Yeah the development kind of stopped after January. But a mod is only dead until it updates again lol

Btw that Geralt portrait is amazing.

I agree, it's one of the pre-rendered portraits built by @Sevgart

and maybe an update to the Witcher 3 timeline.

I know that @Audiate started toying with a Third Nilfgaardian War bookmark.

Romulien, is it normal for it that Filanvendril gets a child picture? Edit: He started with Elven potrait, im not sure, it might be an error on age side (hes 270)

If only there was a compatibility update and maybe an update to the Witcher 3 timeline.
I know that @Audiate started toying with a Third Nilfgaardian War bookmark.
I've been really pressed for time lately, and a lot of my free time just hasn't been making it to Witcher Kings. I desperately want a Third Nilfgaardian War bookmark as much as the next Witcher (3) fan who plays CK2, but unfortunately I don't and won't have the time to complete one any time soon.

I am, though, going to be playing this very soon! Great job, team.