• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Joemit

Major
11 Badges
Jan 16, 2014
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Magicka
  • Victoria 2
  • War of the Roses
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
Xh3HCow.jpg

Hello! I'm Joemit. You might remember me from my small amount of work on WWSMS, but probably not. Today I am starting work on an original fantasy total conversion mod, named Realm of Chaos. The basic idea of the mod is that it starts in the year 257, with the year 0 being the date of the villain, Chatys's, invasion of the continent, Celitium, on which the mod is set. The Amarian Empire, a Byzantine sort of expy (maybe with a few other cultural things), is splintering due to independence revolts. The player will take control of either the empire or one of the kingdoms splitting off from it. About halfway through the game, let's say 450, Chatys invades again and its up to the player to have unified the continent to repel him.

Progress
Provinces.bmp90%
Loading screens0%
Titles0%
Hints0%
Provinces0%
Flags0%
Characters0%
Music0%
Story75%

Here's a (very, very early) map for the mod:

G7DoL9w.jpg
Here's the second provinces map, with mountain ranges, massive lakes and rivers, like promised.

OMESOT3.png

And here is a new religion map I have done.
2OES3Bl.png

And here's the culture map!

snb8Xx5.png

Duchy map:

ALm8fUl.png

Kingdom map:

lraqQG1.png

Empire map

WJNwMmM.png

I plan on having some new traits and things, suggestions are welcome for everything are welcome as the map is the only thing I really have solidly planned and made.
And of course, if anyone wants to help out on the mod they're more than welcome!

Last edited:
Reactions:
Have you considered using any number of random generators out there to help flesh out the world? Some would help with the names too.

...nah, let's not do that. :p

The mainland could use some more geographical dividers though. Mountains, lakes, inner seas, gulfs...

Indeed, some lakes and mountain chains might be good. The map looks great though! The eastern portion in particular looks like it'll be good to realize me dream of a nautical island-chain empire with :)

OK, I'll throw in some mountain chains, lakes, things like that.
Also, that bit with the big provinces is a huge desert and I still need to figure out a reason for the wasteland being wasteland.
Other stuff: I'll have multiple "pretender" emperors and while I'm still thinking about it the Emperor will have a religion with Divine Incest, the Dispel the Pretender Emperor CB and the ability to hold temples and other stuff.
I'll be localising the names of the months because there's no reason they should be using our months.

Last edited:
Intresting mod. Looking forward to what this develops.

For the Wasteland: Maybe throw a Volcano in the middle of it (the northern one) and give surronding counties Events about Earthquakes and Ashcloudes from the Desert.
Also you could include a Cult of Fire treating the Vulcano as the Home of the Gods and seeing his Earthquakes as signs and warnings. Or another Ancient Enemy living in the Vulcanic wasteland, nearly ectinct by the Kings and Empires of ancient Times, waiting for its chance to set the world ablaze.

Intresting mod. Looking forward to what this develops.

For the Wasteland: Maybe throw a Volcano in the middle of it (the northern one) and give surronding counties Events about Earthquakes and Ashcloudes from the Desert.
Also you could include a Cult of Fire treating the Vulcano as the Home of the Gods and seeing his Earthquakes as signs and warnings. Or another Ancient Enemy living in the Vulcanic wasteland, nearly ectinct by the Kings and Empires of ancient Times, waiting for its chance to set the world ablaze.
OK, Cult of Fire with an evil god it is then!
Looks more like an aegean island than a continent.
What, those small ones? Those are just islands, I don't have the other two continents made up yet, just planned.

With the concern for realism, continents can be pretty uniform.

Edit: Africa is also not very complex looking. Come to think of it, Europe is probably abnormally complex looking, but to be fair Australia and Antarctica are the only continents not connected to other continents. But then again Africa, South America and North America were all "island" continents recently, and if you consider Europe and Asia to be one continent (like I do) every continent in the world was an "island continent" not long ago. North America is pretty complex looking though. But in conclusion continents often look pretty simple.

Last edited:
OK, the Religion map is up, as always suggestions are welcome. Is there anything I missed or anything that might be good?
It's going to be hard to make all these religions awesome.

Can you give some sketch of description for each religion?

Thse seems to be geographically well distributed... wich can feels good or wrong depending on the lore and history of the setting. A wourld in tourmoil -that has been in turmoil for a long time- should probably have a more... messed up religious map.

But I think the priority here is sketching the main features of each religion

Some topics that can define a religion (some ideologically some gameplat)

-Stance about sexism

-Relation church-state: is the religion individualist or comunitarian? If comunitarian does it have any definite structure? If it has, does if have any political power? If it has, how permeable it is to secular influence -and vice versa?

(Gameplay correlates of the afirmative answers: A headless religion without proselitising efficiency, a headless religion able to proselitise, a religion with an autonomous head. From here there are various posibilities:

-The religious head is a secular ruler or vassalised by a seular ruler.
-the religion itself is a part of the political life (can_hold_temples = yes)
-the religious head has higher authority over the religious temporal power than the secular ruler (papal inestiture, the temples of the realm are all vassals of the head of religion)
-the religious head and top liege are contentious about authority (papal/free investiture, a crown law set to control the various degrees of State/church control. Cfr. the Faith of the Seven in the AGOT mod)
-The autocephally feature can model a religious subservient to the state more that to the religious head by principle, as opposed as a contingent state in a tension as depicted above

Now for ideological/cultural items:
-The religion enphasizes military deeds and the warrior class. Probably the culture was oppressed until recently, or has to go to war merely to garantee survival (see the norse and tengri vanilla faiths)
-The religion may be linked to cultural identity (judaism) or have a universalist vocation (christianism, islam). This can determine what religions can haveholy wars.

For flavour, there are quite some "theological" and mythical issues that can be reflected in-game. Ritual sacrifices, like the blot in vanilla, periodic celebration for religions that emphasize nature's cycles, and all manner of special events dealing with the such

Also, a suggestion, erase the opinion modifier from personality traits, and apply them as modifiers depending of religion (some religion can value humbre over religious, while other do the opposite, for example). I think Lux Invicta did something like this, you could want to have a look at it. It also has a bunch of custom religions from which you could take inspiration.

By the way, how "real" and active are the divine powers in this setting? Are like the gods of The Elder Scrolls, active and producing conflicts? Are like those of the Middle Earth, real, but withdrawn from the world? Are they something more like ours, in term of agency?

If you want, I would be pleased to help devising the religious bachground from the mod. I used to phantasize with made-up myths and such in my early years, and later have taken a nerdy curiosity about different general features about religion theology and its relation tu cultures, so that could be helpful, mayhaps

The realm can have Pretender Emperors, of which there can be four, all having a claim on the actual emperor's title. Each gets an Emperor title. The four emperors, being Eastern, Western, Northern and Southern, can create the Pretender Emperor title depending on their culture. The Pretender Emperors get a CB on each other and the real Emperor.

Most of the gods in the mod won't be real or won't ever show up, although there will be some that will.

The realm itself has only been in chaos for roughly 30 years, although it has been in decline for the last hundred odd. For the however long before that it was ruled by the Amarians, who practise the Imperial Faith, that tiny little red thing in the top left hand corner. The Imperial Faith worships eight dead emperors (most didn't last for long) and allows Divine Marriage. The head of the religion is the ruling emperor, although he doesn't get any extra CBs or anything for it. The religion only allows men to hold positions, and so all realms with the religion will be stuck on Agnatic succession. Descendants of the Emperor will get a Sayyid-like trait and the Emperor will get a better version of it. The starting Emperor is going to be an Inbred, Hedonist, Greedy, Gluttonous, Cruel, Arbitrary idiot (Pretty much the sole reason the Empire collapsed).

The other Imperialists are a sort of watered-down version of the Imperial Faith, created when the Emperors tried to convert people to their religion. They only worship the first Emperor, don't allow Divine Marriage and have no religious head. The only positions they allow women to hold are army flanks and the Spymaster equivalent. Those of the Five worship five of the dead emperors, instead of the eight of the Imperial Faith but are otherwise the same as the other Imperialists. Each of the Imperialist factions will have small differences and the ability to reform the faith into one Imperialist one. Northern Imperialists get have a Pretender Emperor.

The Ducaritans have a religious head with a kingdom title. The central Ducaritans are ruled by a pretender emperor and the religious head is a vassal of him. The North and South Ducaritans are heresies of the Central Ducaritans. They have no religious head. All Ducaritans can have Absolute Cognatic succession and are a militaristic society, with the ability to raid and declare wars of conquest on single counties. North, South and regular Ducaritans are all tied to a culture each.

The Red Warriors get the ability to raid but not wars of conquest. They have Agnatic-Cognatic succession and no religious head. They can have a festival for summer and can hunt some sort of giant desert creature for prestige. The Red Warriors will be like the Norse, in that most people will be of one culture. If possible I'll have it so that about one in every 50 Red Warrior children will have a trait that gives them a lot more Diplomacy and Learning skill, with a minus from Martial.

The Cult of Fire is going to be really awesome. They will have the ability to raid and a 30% more damage modifier. They will not be able to declare wars of conquest and will not be confined to one culture, instead being spread across all of them. Members of the Cult of Fire will get a Fire Cultist trait, giving them +Martial and Intrigue. The main aim of playing as a Fire Cultist is to capture enough people and throw them in the volcano, with the Melt decision. Melting prisoners will give a piety and prestige bonus. Melting enough people will allow the Fire Cultists to bring back their evil immortal skeletal volcano god master, Harnathor (good name?). He will have the Immortal trait and probably at least 60 in every stat, being an evil volcano god and will become the head of the religion. Fire Cultists can be of any gender and any culture. Villainy is very inclusive.

The Communion of Naling follow the Prophet Naling, who taught that the Amarians were evil oppressors. Due to this the Communion has a relations malus and Holy War CB toward any Imperialists. Their head of religion is a secular leader and they have any sort of succession rules. They will have a Communion Authority bar, can hold temples and can celebrate every Spring and Autumn.

The Taelran worship animalistic nature spirits. They will be able to hold temples due to seeing them as pointless and just another building. About half of the Taelran will be Merchant Republics and they can all sail up rivers and conquer any county, although they cannot raid. There will be no head of the religion and women can serve as priests. The Taelran can take concubines and are limited to Agnatic Ultimogeniture.

Clurenchiacs have a strong, pope-like leader. They will have full cognatic succession and be limited to Gavelkind. Clurenchiacs will be able to hold gatherings where they eat a certain type of food. A large species of man-eating spider will be a creature that could be hunted by them as a coming of age ceremony. A child would need a good martial skill to kill it and would get a trait for doing it. Only 1/5 will be able to kill the creature, another fifth get killed and the rest don't have anything happen. One of their heads is a Pretender Emperor.

Hidithosians are very similar to Clurenchiacs, like Sunni and Shia or Catholic and Orthodox. Hidithosians can holy war Clurenchiacs and vice-versa. While Clurenchiacs hunt giant spiders Hidithosians hunt normal bears.

Ragricists have a vassalised duke-level religious head. They have military religious orders but no religious head. Ragricists have the ability to cut an arm off of their prisoners, giving them the Maimed trait. They are a river-obsessed religion and can hold a celebration of the river every spring. Ragricists have a lot of children, represented by a fertility bonus and can use the Ultimogeniture succession system.

The Syathosians get a bonus to diplomacy and divine incest. The main feature of the Syathosians is that most of their realm is made of one-holding provinces, with all the holdings concentrated in one area. The Syathosians do not have a religious head and women can hold any position.

The Mercolians get the Autocephalous Patriarchs thing and the ability to subjugate other Mercolians. Their religious head is a Pretender Emperor who holds the title. The Mercolians can hold military parades and gladiator games. They start with higher Legalism tech.

The Culinthians have the ability to study for years and get a trait about knowing everything about the religion, taking about four or five off every stat for three years in return for a pretty good trait. Their land is divided into independent counts and they do not have a religious head or the ability to proselytise.

The Hammerers are a fanatical religion. All members get a +Martial and can go on a pilgrimage to their capital city. They can hold massive hunts, like how Christians in vanilla can hold a Grand Tournament. Their head of religion has a king-level title and is independent. They can call crusades or whatever the equivalent is. The Hammerers are named as such due to the few of them that carry around hammers wherever they go, for use on heretics. The religion is fine with whatever succession method.

Phew, that took a while.