• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Introduction Post

cybrxkhan

Going to Scarborough Fair
57 Badges
Jul 14, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Surviving Mars
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
jk6MWRM.jpg

DOWNLOAD:
STEAM WORKSHOP | GITHUB (MANUAL)

Current Version: 2.0.15 “Scarborough Fair” (Released 8/30/20, Compatible with Patch 3.X and Holy Fury)

Scarborough was an important trade entrepot for the Kingdom of England in medieval times. It hosted the great Scarborough Fair, a major trading event that attracted merchants and travelers from as far away as the Byzantine Empire. Later on, it would feature in one of the most famous English folk ballads, also called “Scarborough Fair.” In the traditional lyrics of this song, the singer tells his or her ex-lover through an intermediary that if they wish to become lovers again, they must accomplish a series of impossible tasks such as washing a shirt in a well where water has never sprung nor rain never fell. The opening refrain of the song is thus:

Are you going to Scarborough Fair?
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme
Remember me to one who lives there
She once was a true love of mine

Hello all! As of 8/30/20, I have uploaded my last official update for VIET and will no longer release any further updates (barring major bugs or issues), as I will now be moving to CK3.

I want to thank all for your support over these many past years, whether you’re one of the original VIETerans who’ve played my mods I first started modding or you’ve just found out about my mods. For those who don’t know, I modded CK2 on and off since August of 2012 - literally 8 years - and began work on the old version of VIET later of 2012, so it’s been a long journey that intersected with some of the most interesting times in my life, both good and bad.

For those who will stick with CK2, I hope you will continue to enjoy the “final” versions of my mods for a long time. For those who will move onto CK3, I intend to start work on a VIET equivalent for CK3 called Events About Simple Things (EAST, since I like dumb acronyms) - after I play some CK3 first and have fun with it, of course.

I wish to thank everyone who’s helped and supported my mod work over the years, whether you worked with me directly, provided me with improvements to my codework or helped me maintain it, or simply just enjoyed playing my mods. Thanks again all for your support, and enjoy, as always!

- cybrxkhan

Hello everyone, I’m back!

VIET Events Reborn is the reboot of the Events module from the Vanilla Events, Immersion, and Traits mod I created over six years ago before I retired three years back. Features include:

• Lots of new flavor events and event chains that add immersion and a diversity of experiences to your playthroughs, ranging from small talk with courtiers and eating local cuisine to epic tales about love, philosophy, and the human condition.
  • Game rules to disable sillier events for those who don't like them, with three levels to choose from: Balanced (Default), Serious (Restricted), and Silly (Full).
  • New artifacts to collect and nicknames to acquire from these events.
  • Plenty of new event pictures, including cultural and religious variants of vanilla event pictures
  • Performance tweaks and miscellaneous improvements over the old VIET Events (many courtesy of the WTWSMS, LI, and Hide Your Jewelry mod teams)
  • Compatibility with almost everything since it doesn’t touch any vanilla files
  • French translation available (credits to Loup99, Mouchi, and Domper59)
  • NOT ACHIEVEMENT COMPATIBLE

At the moment, the reboot does not include all of the original events. To not overwhelm myself, what I want to do is slowly add the old events in batches so I can fix, tweak, or remove them as I see fit, while also adding in new events for variety. Any input with balance and bugs is much appreciated as I slowly bring VIET back to life! In particular I am still trying to determine a right balance in how often these events fire.

Please feel free to use my work in your mods, all I ask is that I and my old VIET partner Ordep are credited. If you want to use something that I borrowed from someone else, please see the credits section below.

I will also not be rebooting Immersion or Traits at this time, though my Immersion Packs are a spiritual successor to VIET Immersion, so feel free to check out Cybrxkhan's Immersion Packs, which are a smaller scale, more modular spiritual successor to VIET Immersion.

SCREENSHOTS

7ZbEpHl.jpg

Ffy4Tsy.jpg

7bw58XJ.jpg

N2tOEGw.jpg

5RGQK8t.jpg

Daas11M.jpg

JMHVKe4.jpg

LgwYggp.jpg

9kbF1NJ.jpg

3NLf8Ca.jpg

sQg288J.jpg

gTfucBN.jpg

X3sZUCQ.jpg

MNMwES1.jpg

CREDITS

A huge thanks to the teams of WTWSMS (especially ILikeTrians and Loup99) and Lux Invicta (including tsf4), as well as M@ni@c, creator of Hide Your Jewelry, for maintaining VIET these past few years and who I reached out to. The improvements these modders did to my old code have formed the basis for this reboot of VIET Events. ILikeTrains has been particularly helpful in catching some issues, and helping me adjust back to CKII modding. The French translation of much of the mod is thanks to Loup99, Mouchi, and Domper59.

Additional credits goes to theStormWeaver who I worked with every now and then during my retirement to add some flavor events to the Ancient Religions Reborn mod, and the inspiration for naming updates after people and stuff.

I also of course want to give big credits to the HIP team, whom I worked with for some time before I retired - in particular OrdepNM, who was in many ways my partner in crime and who stepped up to help maintain my mod while I was having serious medical issues a while back.

Additionally, please also see here for the credits from the original VIET mod, as there are a lot of people who I worked with and took stuff from over the years, and though much of their work isn’t in VIET Events, I still feel it proper to give them a shout out:

Additionally, there are a few modders and VIET players who have contributed significantly to VIET - not just a few bug reports or some assistance here and there, but significant amounts of content for the mod itself. As such, though they are not officially part of VIET, I'd like to honor them as important contributors to the mod as well:

- Sleight of Hand - for random code all over the place (not to mention I wouldn't even be a CKII modder without him!)

- jordarkelf - for various mini-mods, and tweaks to history, flavor, titles, as well as bug hunting and fixing

- AnaxXiphos - for a lot of beautifully done artwork, including but not limited to trait, decision, and religion icons

- superskierpat - for many culture-unique title localizations, many featured in uses HKC mini-mod, as well as other code

However, a lot of material have been taken from other modders and community members. Below I've listed everyone who's contributed something to this mod in one way or another, directly or indirectly. The list continues to expand as VIET get more and more feedback and suggestions, and integrates parts of other mods and mini-mods. If you believe you haven’t been properly credited for something, don’t hesitate to (gently) remind me!

Thanks again to everyone who’s helped made this mod the success it is!

- Meneth for Project Balance, various things I borrowed from it (including particularly the melting pot), and for helping me learn how to implement the “less is more” philosophy (which I always struggled with in my pre-CKII modding)

- Sleight of Hand for implementation of the Berber, Bulgar, and Nubian cultures in his SoH mod, the Danish Invasion mod, various improved name lists, and other tweaks in general, as well as general assistance and cooperation in modding and improving historical accuracy/plausibility, and also for getting me into real modding in the first place by forcing me to do CPR

- jordarkelf for the various mini-mods integrated, too many to name here; feedback and suggestions; as well as general assistance in all aspects of modding and bug hunting

- richvh for feedback, help, and bug hunting

- childeR for Byzantine claim event

- AUTOMATIC for a better congenital trait icon template and the missing COAs mod

- DominusNovus, Gnostiko, and Hawkeye1489 for info on Byzantine titles

- StonetheCrow for teaching me how combining character graphics was possible in the first place, and Shaytana and CrackedToothGrin in turn for showing him the tricks

- Zaldax for the Sicilian name list and melting pot event from “An Offer You Can’t Refuse”, as well as several flavor events

- Bloodmerchant, Ataulf, Chlodio, duinnin, Frostschaden, PolskaGOLA, and the Umbra Spherae team for various name lists

- Trashed for the Memento Mori mod

- Teutonic Thrash and Birdboy for the Icelandic Commonwealth mod

- Werewhale for stuff taken from the "Dorrit Moussaief's Iceland is the Most Biggest Country in the World" Mod

- GeorgAfLöfbacka for the Mediterranean Ladies Beautified mod

- Greek Strategos for constant feedback and suggestions, as well as for gifting me the Norse portrait set - thanks!

- theStormWeaver for gifting me TOG - thanks, saved me quite a bit there!

- superskierpat for several title localizations from the "High Kings, Consuls, and other Crazy Things" mod

- Polskers for feedback, bughunting, and Saxon names

- chatnoir17 for the Koppen Climate Classification mod

- chemical_art for bughunting and feedback

- Riknap for the Republic Trade Events income-scaled and attribute-weighted mini-mod

- EmperorTojo for coding assistance particularly in regards to the Norse-Gaels

- Pesco77 for the Finno-Ugric mod series

- Skefrep for the Age Customizer mini-mod

- JGCrusader and ZachPruckowski for Additional Objectives 2.0

- Jorlem for the Decadence Breakup mini-mod

- Avee for the Family Relations mini-mod

- Frostschaden for the "Judaism - The Diaspora, the Exilarchs and the Khazars" mod

- mclemente for the Latinokratia mod

- Peuri for the Cuman portrait set from the Little Portrait mini-mod

- Maestro Ugo and Thure for the Mazdayasna Zarathushtrish mod

- AnaxXiphos for various new artwork including the Alternate Portraits for Mongol Children mini-mod and assistance with the Jewish building code

- Syren for Syren's Nickname mod

- Thure for various namelists and the Hamburg Republic mini-mod

- Crackedtoothgrin for portrait art

- Lux Invicta team and Shaytana for portrait art

- ahhheygao for the Retouched Mongolian Eyes mini-mod

- SBolshevik for various mini-mods and other assistance and suggestions

- kleiner for bug hunting

- hooni for the pledge mod

- The_Chancellor for the council shuffling mini-mod

- Gnostiko, Aeon221, Fairleystuff, Crak'd, Bertouch, User29, sainturl for feedback and suggestions

- Wikipedia for the loads of information (whether reliable or not)

- Richvh, fawr, Meneth, StonetheCrow, korbah, and the countless others who answered all my random and silly modding questions

- Everyone else for their feedback and suggestions as well as support for this mod and my other mods - thanks!

Also, credits go to these artists I took artwork from:

Anthony Wolff - http://www.waart.net/artwork/artwork_digital.html

Glazyrin - http://glazyrin.deviantart.com/

Crackedtoothgrin - http://crackdtoothgrin.deviantart.com/

Other mods and mini-mods integrated currently or formerly, fully or partially into VIET, or that have elements and/or ideas borrowed from:

Last edited:
Reserved - 2 more

Last edited:
Reserved - 1 more after this just in case

Last reserve

Welcome back! How's your health?

Welcome back, Cybrxkhan!

Thank you all for your kind words! Coincidentally, it was around the holiday season, almost exactly six years ago, that I started VIET, so it's interesting coming back.

Welcome back! How's your health?

Good to see you're still around! And thanks for asking - when I retired I had just about finished recovering from the worst of it, and my situation is currently stable (though given my condition's incurable I still have to be careful). Life's quite different than when I retired three years back, heh.

Holy crap. This is just like my idea that I wanted.

Cybrxkhan take a gander? :p

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/looking-for-a-group-of-modders.1141653/

If you would like any kind of brainstorming for events...TOTALLY let me know. ;)

That is a pretty fun idea, I've always been one for more events (though rare ones) where characters randomly die. I'll keep it in my big list of event ideas!

Good to see you're still around! And thanks for asking - when I retired I had just about finished recovering from the worst of it, and my situation is currently stable (though given my condition's incurable I still have to be careful). Life's quite different than when I retired three years back, heh.
I'm in the "back again" category too. I left before MnM came out, and only came back a little before HF came out.

That is a pretty fun idea, I've always been one for more events (though rare ones) where characters randomly die. I'll keep it in my big list of event ideas.

That was just a random example. We literally have our imaginations ends to think of anything. Like;

Character has just,

"I walk into a bar and see a couple of my loyal subjects arguing about who has actual claims to that land. I have to figure out who has actual rights."

*Choices*

Then you get to decide.

The idea of the mod is incorporate any trait to a scenario, so that the players can connect themselves to their characters in game.

The potential for story and whatnot has so much potential on CK2 it's ridiculous and Paradox hasn't utilized the type of engine and system that they've created.

Awesome! +1

I'm in the "back again" category too. I left before MnM came out, and only came back a little before HF came out.

Ah, gotcha! So we are not too dissimilar then, you and I!

I'm also drunk so... ignore what doesn't make sense

Merry Christmas :)

No worries, and Merry Christmas too! I think I'm get where you're going at, though. I plan to have events in future updates that are perhaps a little on the simpler side but add in some more variety to your courtiers' lives.

Now I want a massive new batch of coat of arms and flags independent of ARKO pack.

The one I'm using in the screenshots is Patrum Scuta.

I'm so happy, I welcome the return of anime references and innuendos.

Me as well! Additionally this time there's a game rule so people who don't like the silly events can disable them, but if you like them make sure you enable the "All Events" option in the game rules (rather than balanced, which is the default).

Awesome! +1

Thanks! And I think I recognize you!

This was the mod with the dick puns?, if they removed them, nice, if not, ok.

Since they were only a couple of those events in the original out of the hundreds of other events I added I didn't expect them to be so notorious, but I've learned my lesson and they will not be returning in the reboot (which currently doesn't have the majority of the old events yet anyways). Additionally, if you weren't a fan of some of the other sillier events, there is a game rule now to disable some of those with three levels to choose from.

Since they were only a couple of those events in the original out of the hundreds of other events I added I didn't expect them to be so notorious, but I've learned my lesson and they will not be returning in the reboot (which currently doesn't have the majority of the old events yet anyways). Additionally, if you weren't a fan of some of the other sillier events, there is a game rule now to disable some of those with three levels to choose from.

The only time i enabled them in WTWSMS...... i got ten events in a row regarding juicy dick jokes -_-

It ruined my immersion, but you are doing gods work anyways :D