[MOD] VIET Events for CK3 - a Flavor and Immersion Event Mod

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Introduction Post

cybrxkhan

Going to Scarborough Fair
57 Badges
Jul 14, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Surviving Mars
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
GWDnTbC.jpg

Download Version 1.12.0 "Rattus"
(Released 3/5/24, compatible with vanilla patch 1.12.X)

STEAM WORKSHOP | GITHUB (MANUAL) | PARADOX DOWNLOAD

DISCORD | WEBSITE
Preview Screenshots in Second Post

“Consider the little mouse, how sagacious an animal it is which never entrusts its life to one hole only.
- Plautus (254 – 184 BCE), Roman playwright

Very Immersive Events and Tales (VIET), the sequel to VIET Events for CK2, is a flavor mod that adds a vast collection of events about everyday life to spice up your game. These events add immersion and a diversity of experiences in between wars and vanilla’s event chains, and cover mundane minutiae ranging from small talk with courtiers and eating local cuisine to epic tales about love, philosophy, and the human condition.

Alongside many new events, I intend to adapt many of the events from the old VIET for CK2 as possible. I hope the lessons I learned from my eight years (with a hiatus) of modding CK2 will help me deliver a fun experience for any players interested in my mods. I welcome any and all feedback and I hope to continue adding more and more events in every update!

Feel free to use my work in your mods - all I ask is that I am credited and (if possible) to give me a heads up.

FEATURES

• Over 1108 new flavor events to experience!
  • Explore new decisions, artifacts, character interactions, activities, and event chains
  • Game rule to disable sillier events for those who don't like them, with three levels to choose from: Balanced (Default), Serious (Restricted), and All Events (Full)
  • Compatible with almost anything since it doesn't touch any vanilla files - even with overhaul mods, you can via game rule disable events that reference things specific to our medieval world that wouldn’t make sense in other time periods or universes (like fantasy and sci-fi conversion mods)
  • Learn history with Historical Context tooltips that provide information about what inspired some of the events - sometimes, reality is stranger than fiction! (These can be disabled via game rule for those who find it immersion breaking.)

This is the successor to my VIET Events mod from CK2, and I intend to adapt as many of the events from there as possible. I hope the lessons I learned from my eight years (with a hiatus) of modding CK2 will help me deliver a fun experience for any players interested in my mods.

CREDITS

A huge thanks to the teams of WTWSMS (especially IlikeTrains and Loup99) and Lux Invicta (including tsf4), as well as M@ni@c, creator of Hide Your Jewelry, for maintaining and improving on VIET for CK2 over the years, which provided me a solid foundation for improved reboot of VIET Events.

Credits also to OrdepNM, who was my partner in crime in the early days of VIET for CK2 and who stepped up to help maintain it while I had serious medical issues years ago.

Special thanks to Sleight of Hand for pushing me to get into the CK2 modding scene and for other assistance over the years, which is why I am still here for some reason.

Thanks to tora75 for contributing the Norse unique localizations for several events.

Special thanks to Stik, Vertimnus, and Tobbzn on the CK3 Mod Co-op for helping me figure out how to adapt my CK2 province events and do a system for county events for CK3.

Huge thanks also to the various kind souls who are taking the time to translate the mod - you can see the full list of them in the "Features" section in the Steam mod page description.

Lastly, thanks to all the people who I worked with, took stuff from over the years, and provided encouragement and feedback.

Last edited:
  • 51Like
  • 24Love
Reactions:
Screenshots
Last edited:
  • 17Like
  • 4Love
Reactions:
Reserved (last reserve)

• 1Like
Reactions:
Awesome!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Very excited to see this project continuing in CK3! :)

Yey! This is what we need! Even more lifestyle peacetime events.
Thanks for bringing it back!

sub

Thanks, this will be very cool!

I just downloaded it and your .mod file has your system My Documents as the path. I've fixed it for you. :)

Attachments

• VIET Events mod file fixed.rar
    236 bytes · Views: 0
Reactions:
Thank you all for the kind comments!

Yey! This is what we need! Even more lifestyle peacetime events.
Thanks for bringing it back!

Yup! While I think the devs' increased focus on big event chains was overall a reasonable decision, one of the downsides is that - along with the very understandable fact that as a brand new game CK3 doesn't have the years of content additions like CK2 - there's less variety of stuff to happen during peacetime. So, hopefully this will alleviate that somewhat.

I feel that I should still be on the credits for all your mods after 8 years. :p

Oh yes, how could I forget. ;)

You have earned your place of immortality in the circle of VIETerans, old friend.

I just downloaded it and your .mod file has your system My Documents as the path. I've fixed it for you. :)

Whelp, I am surprised I did not catch it sooner. Thanks very much for catching that! I have updated the Github version accordingly.

Let us know about the steam version

Definitely will! When I upload the official release to Steam, there will be a link to it in the first post like with my other mods I've done before. The Github version will be mainly for the two or three people who still download mods manually, and for anyone who's interested in looking at the code.

While i personally like the new "event philosophy" of CK3, and it might well be that VIET would add too "much" for my taste, i´m happy to see you modding for CK3.

I absolutely adored your immersion mods, like the Harranians, and they brought me much joy. Maybe those will make a come back as well? While Paradox apparently intends to do similar dlc, they will surely miss interesting spots. :)

While i personally like the new "event philosophy" of CK3, and it might well be that VIET would add too "much" for my taste, i´m happy to see you modding for CK3.

I absolutely adored your immersion mods, like the Harranians, and they brought me much joy. Maybe those will make a come back as well? While Paradox apparently intends to do similar dlc, they will surely miss interesting spots. :)

With VIET it will definitely take a while before I find a decent balance for how frequently the events fire (took me pretty much seven years to work that out for VIET for CK2 in my opinion lol), but hopefully I'll be able to use my experience from CK2 to better gauge that more quickly this time around so it won't feel like too much (in fact I might do a game rule to increase or decrease their frequency, but I'll have to figure out a way to do that smoothly).

Anyways I do intend to create the equivalent of the Immersion Pack mods, though this time they'll all be under one mod, to make updating easier (the advantage with CK2 was that as it got no more patches, I didn't have to worry about update a bunch of random little mods). In principle I intend for them to functionally be the same, as disconnected modules/packs covering random places on the map with "lite" additions mechanically.

At the moment my main priority will be to get VIET out (and maybe a couple smaller updates after that) in order to get used to CK3 modding before I try my hand at the Immersion Pack equivalent, so my very rough timeline for that will be in about a month. My plan for the first release of the Immersion Pack equivalent are two small "packs" to help ease me into the more complicated stuff required for this compared to VIET, one covering the Island of Chios, and another small one covering a yet to be determined area (though I've narrowed it down to a couple of finalist candidates). As to whether I'll adapt my old Immersion Packs, we'll see - as you probably know I can be quite fickle with what I focus on.

• 3Like
Reactions:
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH YYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH Baby!

I was hoping VIET (and EMF) would make it to CK3, I just didn't expect it so fast!. :)