• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty sure Lords and Lands adds provinces.

Oh, yeah, right about that. I'll add it to the compatible/incompatible mods section.

@ cybrxkhan - Too late for the error log, I'm well under way in a new game. I did however figure quickly that M.COA isn't needed anymore as a stand-alone mod. Also, I've tried running only VIET + PB and still the crash occured, but after implementing the fix it was all straightened out, so it definitely wasn't a compatibility issue with any other mods. Naturally I did use the PB compatibility modules (duh :D) but since you've mentioned it I just want to clarify 100%; VIET PB modules + VIET Events + VIET Traits should be used with PB no?

Anyways, that is indeed how the modules should be used with PB. Otherwise I have no idea what might be causing the crash - restarting the computer did work for other users - but if the issue comes again, feel free to post the error log or attach it, and hope you have fun with your current game!

Is there a way to limit the possibility for the Spanish Kings to swear fealty to the HRE? They do it every single time I play. And it's not inheritance or anything, they just plainly submit to the Kaiser and then defeat the Almohads/Almoravids/Whoever.

EDIT: It also seems that in VIET Ilkhanate goes for Russia rather than Persia, as the Seljuks are still alive and kicking, thus stealing lands to the Golden Horde.

Is there a way to limit the possibility for the Spanish Kings to swear fealty to the HRE? They do it every single time I play. And it's not inheritance or anything, they just plainly submit to the Kaiser and then defeat the Almohads/Almoravids/Whoever.

I thought kings couldn't swear fealty to Emperors? (Unless that is something from Project Balance) I think modding swearing fealty is hardcoded (I might be wrong, though) or something I probably won't deal with for now due to my low level of coding experience.

EDIT: It also seems that in VIET Ilkhanate goes for Russia rather than Persia, as the Seljuks are still alive and kicking, thus stealing lands to the Golden Horde.

Hmm, interesting. In some of the earlier test games the Seljuks do seem to survive longer, so it definitely isn't an anamoly on your part. I'll reduce their starting bonus int he next version, then, so hopefully they'll have a higher chance of collapsing.

cybrxkhan, do you know where I can find a nice coat of arms for a de jure kingdom of the Isles? I remember you saying you were considering adding such a title in VIET; have you already done so? Which arms did you use? (By which I mean, one that's different from the duchy of the Isles).

Also, have you noticed that Paradox added kingdom CoAs for some more Russian kingdoms?

cybrxkhan, do you know where I can find a nice coat of arms for a de jure kingdom of the Isles? I remember you saying you were considering adding such a title in VIET; have you already done so? Which arms did you use? (By which I mean, one that's different from the duchy of the Isles).

I already have a titular Kingdom of the Isles, but I won't be making it de jure until version 1.1.0 (due to de jure changes being incompatible with old save games). The flag I'm using is a raven, though I can't find it on google images anymore (you can just download VIET and see for yourself). Dunno about the historical accuracy of that, but I wanted something different from the duchy of the isles' flag.

Also, have you noticed that Paradox added kingdom CoAs for some more Russian kingdoms?

Now that you mention it... holy lordy lord, the flags are generally eastern European (Abkhazia? Suomi? what madness is this?).

Looks very suspicious... very suspicious...

Correction about the Seljuks: They indeed need to collapse more often, but the real problem is that Ilkhanate expands in Russia rather than Persia. They never declare war there and pretty much steal land to the Golden Horde.

You guys have some cultural titles renamed like the Irish "kings", maybe Scandanavian kings should be Jarl's and Spanish kings Rey's. The no culture in Germany is a known bug right not just my version? are you going to be doing flavor events for most culture groups?

Bad news - somehow I managed to delete all of the code for the Byzantine decision for douxes/despots to lay claim on the Byzantine Empire, probably accidentally deleted it while winmerging or moving the files around. Good news is it shouldn't take too long for me to code it again, and I'll try to get 1.0.5 out by tonight, but if the coding isn't good and/or there's issues with it when I run a test game, ETA for 1.0.5 might be early tomorrow instead.

Correction about the Seljuks: They indeed need to collapse more often, but the real problem is that Ilkhanate expands in Russia rather than Persia. They never declare war there and pretty much steal land to the Golden Horde.

Is this behavior common in vanilla too? (I usually play on a start date way before or way after the Mongol invasion so I dunno.)

I don't think there's anything much I can do to influence where the hordes attack. However, what I can try to do is change the Ilkhanate event so that they spawn a bit more south than where they currently spawn so there's a better chance they'll attack places more to the south. What I think might be happening is basically due to the way the de jure setup of the world is, the Ilkhanate is more inclined to attack northwards for whatever reason.

You guys have some cultural titles renamed like the Irish "kings", maybe Scandanavian kings should be Jarl's and Spanish kings Rey's. The no culture in Germany is a known bug right not just my version? are you going to be doing flavor events for most culture groups?

Scandinavian Jarls are already in - they're Scandinavian dukes. Spanish Rey's wouldn't be good in my opinion, since they are too close an equivalent to the generic feudal "king". Basically I try not to add cultural titles that are direct translations or historically were similar to the generic Western feudal counterpart - so I won't put in things like "Duc" for Frankish/Norman Dukes or "Graf" for German Counts because it would basically be annoying in my opinion; things like Irish Kings and High Kings make more sense because they weren't exactly that similar to the generic Western feudal dukes/kings. Granted, it's a bit subjective exactly what would be unnecessary and what would be necessary. That said, if you want, I can post the necessary code for certain titles if you want (they aren't really that hard to code in) for your own version; or, you can look at the localization of titles in the SWMH mod, which includes a crapton of localized titles (way, way more than this mod).

As for the no culture in Germany, is that because you are using the Project Balance version? Can you explain to me what's going on with that? Like are there characters with "no culture" or provinces or something else specifically? I have fixed some issues with German culture for the PB version, but perhaps you've just noticed something I missed.

And yes, ideally I will have flavor events for most culture groups and/or cultures, though it is more likely I'll get around to the major ones, such as the Byzantines or Iberians or Italians, since they cover a larger swath of territory.

I reinstalled VIET without the fix, and oddly enough the CTD did not reoccur this time when using PB + VIET only, nor with PB + VIET + <other mods> either o_O... It sure wasn't a blunder on my part the first time around, as I've started-restarted-tried all mod combinations and the CTD kept happening when clicking the "Search All" button in the Characters tab. Oh well...

I am using pb and the pb viet mods as well as the other two viet mods, its actually provinces and characters in Germany also no culture in Ghana(characters and provinces). also could you add some coat of arms designs to the ruler designer

In the can_use block of the religious CB, there is no miaphysite religion_group. Change religion_group = miaphysite to religion = miaphysite, and if you want to include the heresies of Miaphysitism, you need to list them individually. Likewise with religion_group = orthodox a little further down.
I always use is_heresy_of = miaphysite rather than listing every single heresy, that's just a little more convenient.

I already have a titular Kingdom of the Isles, but I won't be making it de jure until version 1.1.0 (due to de jure changes being incompatible with old save games). The flag I'm using is a raven, though I can't find it on google images anymore (you can just download VIET and see for yourself). Dunno about the historical accuracy of that, but I wanted something different from the duchy of the isles' flag.
Thanks, I downloaded the mod and took a look. You're using the coat of arms of Galicia, which I immediately recognized from my several starts as Boleslaw the Bold. :D

I've chosen to use the Raven Banner for the Isles instead, as although it's currently used by the Varangian Guard in CK II it does look good and is often associated with the Norse adventurers who raided and settled the Norse-Gael areas, especially the Uí Ímair and thus the Isles.

What do some of those unused vanilla kingdom flags look like? I noticed k_moscow and k_novgorod among others.

I reinstalled VIET without the fix, and oddly enough the CTD did not reoccur this time when using PB + VIET only, nor with PB + VIET + <other mods> either o_O... It sure wasn't a blunder on my part the first time around, as I've started-restarted-tried all mod combinations and the CTD kept happening when clicking the "Search All" button in the Characters tab. Oh well...

Ah, what a pity then. Might have just been a fluke or something - sometimes it happens.

I am using pb and the pb viet mods as well as the other two viet mods, its actually provinces and characters in Germany also no culture in Ghana(characters and provinces). also could you add some coat of arms designs to the ruler designer

Alright, I'll look into the issue with the German and Ghana culture (it might be a mistake on my part, but it might also be a mistake on Project Balance's part).

I probably won't do coat of arms designs, not because I don't want to, but because I currently don't know how to and learning how to do it will take away time that could be spent modding elsewhere. You might want to check out Patrum Scuta and Arko Armories Pack (I think that's what it is), they do make quite some improvements to coat of arms for dynasties and landed titles.

I always use is_heresy_of = miaphysite rather than listing every single heresy, that's just a little more convenient.

Oh, yeah, that. Easy enough.

Thanks, I downloaded the mod and took a look. You're using the coat of arms of Galicia, which I immediately recognized from my several starts as Boleslaw the Bold. :D

I've chosen to use the Raven Banner for the Isles instead, as although it's currently used by the Varangian Guard in CK II it does look good and is often associated with the Norse adventurers who raided and settled the Norse-Gael areas, especially the Uí Ímair and thus the Isles.

What do some of those unused vanilla kingdom flags look like? I noticed k_moscow and k_novgorod among others.

I don't remember some, but the new vanilla kingdom flags I do recall are Abkhazia, Sumoi, Moscow, one of the Lithuanian/Baltic tribes... that's all I can remember.

i don't mean make new coat of arms just add some pre-existing designs to the ruler designer. also i used the patch for those that dont have all the portraits in immersion so that could also have an affect.

Version 1.0.5 is out! Click on the link here to download!

Besides the usual bugfixing and code cleaning (big credits to jordarkelf and richvh this time for pointing out some of the issues), this version most importantly includes a new Byzantine decision for vassals of the Byzantine Emperor to get a weak claim on the throne if they meet one of several criteria. I've run a test game and it seems the AI is capable of doing the decision - but they won't necessarily always make use of it. Also included are 10 Byzantine flavor events, jordarkelf's Blinding Your Siblings mini-mod, a few changes in trait history to Byzantine characters, and a more detailed and improved instructions for everyone's convenience. Lastly, the portrait fix is included in the download file to make everybody's life easier (including mine ;) ).

1.0.5 should be compatible with previous saves.

Last note - make sure you delete all of the old mods' files before you put in the new ones.

I'll be away from my home PC for the next few days (will be out of town again). Although I'll have my laptop, CKII lags pretty bad on it so I won't be able to do any in-depth modding work on there nor test for bugs or issues anybody has (though I might be able to still do a bit of work to fix minor bugs). Still, feel free to post suggestions and/or bug reports on this thread.

Anyhow, here's the 1.0.5 changelog:
- Added new decision for vassals of the Byzantine Empire to receive a claim on the Byzantine throne if they satisfy any of the following criteria:
1. Have 1000 prestige, or, alternatively, the ambitious trait and 800 prestige
2. Marry a mother/father, sister/brother, or daughter/son of a current Emperor/Empress, and have 400 prestige
3. Have at least 16 martial and the ambitious trait (to represent powerful generals having influence), and have 600 prestige
4. Not in the immediate family of a ruling Emperor/Empress
5. Not have the content or slothful traits
- Added 10 Byzantine flavor events
- Added jordarkelf’s Blinding your Siblings mini-mod http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...-micro-mod-Blinding-your-siblings!&p=14698773 (siblings of a ruler of any culture can be blinded, and blinding has a small chance of causing death) (non-Byzantine culture groups are less likely to do it, though)
- Cleaned up various parts of the code (thanks to richvh and jordarkelf for pointing these out!)
- Fixed bug with pagan sacrifice event repeating
- Fixed tall trait not being opposite with dwarf
- Fixed holy wars still being available to various orthodox and miaphysite religions
- Fixed localization new religious god and scripture names in the Core module
- Isaac of Khazars’ is now correctly Jewish in PB-compatible version
- Reduced Seljuk Momentum modifier’s bonuses, and made the bonuses end in 1075
- Re-added Aztec disease (accidentally removed it previously)
- Removed extra .txt.bak files
- Added skilled tactician, content, and kind traits to Isaakios Komnenos (Alexios I’s brother)
- Added genius, ambitious, diligent, proud, cynical traits to Anna Komnenos (Alexios I’s daughter)
- Added brilliant strategist, quick, charitable, patient, kind, and temperate traits to Ioannes II Komnenos
- Added tough soldier to Michael IX Palaiologos
- Added diligent trait to Andronikos III Palaiologos, increased his base stewardship and diplomacy, and reduced his base intrigue
- Slightly increased the effect of martial on a battle
- Empire of Seljuk Turks now changed to Persian Empire (PB version)

As for future plans, assuming there are no serious bugs with 1.0.5 (wherein I'll make a 1.0.6), I'll be working on a version 1.1.0 that will include some de jure territory changes (courtesy of Sleight of Hand) and some new other features.

In 1.1.0, I've decided to put off doing the Khitan invasion for later, since I figured they're in an area most players don't deal with, not to mention playing as the Khitan themselves would be quite a challenge (attempt to establish a Chinese-style empire in Central Asia without getting run over by Muslims and Cumans within 70 years when the Mongols come).

Regardless, for 1.1.0, I'll be implementing a new "adventure" type decision for rulers, called "Survey Realm" (or "Inspect Realm"). Functionally it's similar to a Hajj where a ruler departs for a period of time; in this case, however, the ruler goes around his realm taking a look at how things are going. It's a rather basic adventure with just some events and the like (much more basic than the type SoH suggested way back), but it'll hopefully be expanded later on to include more interesting ways for rulers to interact while surveying. Likewise, if it works out well, hopefully later on there'll be more "adventure" decisions for rulers with different traits and backgrounds. For instance, a lustful ruler might go on a journey to find pretty girls to seduce, and come out having reformed himself (or having found a good wife) and/or gone completely down the dark side with STDs and other things; or, a diligent or kind ruler might disguise him or herself and live in the city for a while, to see how normal people live and learn to be a better ruler... or just get plain annoyed with all the annoying people. (As you can see, ideally I want to make these somewhat character-based narratives, a tad similar to the some RPG quest sort of thing with different outcomes and story branches.)

I might also throw in a few other smaller features. Of course there will also be more flavor events (at least pagan and maybe naval events, as requested by some on this thread earlier).

My ETA for 1.1.0 would be at least a week before the release of the Republic DLC so people have something to play with before the Republic comes out, or even after if they dont buy the Republic. If I have enough time on hand I might make it even earlier.

Also, there have been more than 500 downloads (cumulatively for all versions of the mod) since I released the mod about two weeks ago. Awesome! Thanks all for the support and suggestions and bug reports and patience with the mods' bugs and all that.

How is 1.05 coming? Just wondering if we'll have it later, today.

I believe the link to 1.0.5 should be in this post somewhere. :)

Had a delay yesterday because I accidentally deleted the code for the Byzantine decision to get a weak claim on the throne. And also I got distracted playing a new playthrough of Oblivion while I was taking a break from CKII modding (it's been exactly one year since I found Oblivion, and I wasted hundreds of hours of my life on it).

i don't mean make new coat of arms just add some pre-existing designs to the ruler designer. also i used the patch for those that dont have all the portraits in immersion so that could also have an affect.

Yeah, I was talking about that too - that would also require time to learn and put in (oddly, and perhaps surprisingly, art is one of the most time-consuming parts of modding for whatever reason (and not just CKII either)). I believe Patrum Scuta has new designs for ruler designer (maybe Arko Armories too?), although it does replace the old ones.

The portrait fix shouldn't have an effect (unless if you were using the vanilla, non-PB patch by accident).

Had a delay yesterday because I accidentally deleted the code for the Byzantine decision to get a weak claim on the throne. And also I got distracted playing a new playthrough of Oblivion while I was taking a break from CKII modding (it's been exactly one year since I found Oblivion, and I wasted hundreds of hours of my life on it).

If you need advice on mods, send me a PM. I've been playing it (and Morrowind, too) since they first came out and I reviewed the two games. Am running a 270+ mod setup on Oblivion, with no crashes, and a focus on ease-of-use and added quest systems.

With any luck, I should have some events to you, shortly. Visiting family for the holidays has made that a bit difficult, understandably.

Thanks for the update! Downloading, now.

Hey Cybr....great update once more...you're going to monopolize our interest for mods here...
Thanks for this super mod...:)

An issue which I thought might relate to VIET Immersions--vassals lacking any levies to raise--is due to Lupus Agnum. It's not compatible with Legacy of Rome, though there's no word (yet) about this in the master mod list, above.

So strictly speaking, LA is compatible with VIET. It's just not compatible with the game. ;)

Last edited:
Oh, also, I forgot to add - since I haven't extensively tested the Byzantine decision for Byzantine vassals to get a weak claim on the throne, I don't really know how effective it is in terms of increasing the chance of non-dynastic characters becoming Emperor/Empress. I do know that the AI is definitely capable of using it, but other than that I don't know whether it makes much an effect on potential claimant wars (particularly in the late game, when the number of dynastic claimants increases). If any of you see interesting things come up, don't hesitate to tell me - for instance, whether dynasties switch too frequently after a while (or not frequently enough), and so on. The AI have been coded to be a bit more likely to support claimants who got their claim through the decision (though not too much, as that would make it a bit implausible), but otherwise I don't know how it works out in the long run.

If you need advice on mods, send me a PM. I've been playing it (and Morrowind, too) since they first came out and I reviewed the two games. Am running a 270+ mod setup on Oblivion, with no crashes, and a focus on ease-of-use and added quest systems.

Last time this year when I found Oblivion, I wasted at least 300-400 hours on that one alone unmodded (somehow). This is the first time I'm playing it with mods at all, though I'm trying to keep the number of mods I'm using light (partly because I don't want to do the thing that happened in Skyrim where I struggle to limit the number of mods I use, and also because I'm still enjoying the vanilla game to an extent). I'll send you a Pm or something later. ;)

Hey Cybr....great update once more...you're going to monopolize our interest for mods here...
Thanks for this super mod...:)

Thank you! Hope you enjoy it.

An issue which I thought might relate to VIET Immersions--vassals lacking any levies to raise--is due to Lupus Agnum. It's not compatible with Legacy of Rome, though there's no word (yet) about this in the master mod list, above.

So strictly speaking, LA is compatible with VIET. It's just not compatible with the game. ;)

Hmm, that's odd. I'm almost certain I haven't changed anything related to feudal levies, although it *might* be a bug if it was caused by miscoding other laws or the like. But then again all my changes to laws are in the Immersion module, so I'm not sure what would be causing that. It *might* be simply the main game changing, but to make sure you are trying to raise vassal levies and not personal levies by accident, right? I'll look into it.

Oh, thank god, you had me a bit scared there that I had some mod bug voodoo going on there! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.