• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Amazing mod - particularly the mechanics of the manpower fix, which is a simple and effective way of withdrawing cohorts in the field from the manpower pool rather than go through the complex mechanic of a soldier pop. However, may I suggest less of a broad stroke when adjusting manpower, say increments of 5 cohorts rather than 10 for the adjustment. Also, if the manpower maximum is adjusted and represents a smaller age class to conscript - then the manpower recovery should be faster to reflect it. Bearing in mind this is a time where all of a people can become soldiers in time of war - so the limitations to number of soldiers should be mainly maintenance.
Anything that further reduces siege time - (fortifications in 300 bc weren't really sophisticated) and blocks trade routes separated by uncivilized land or out of diplo range would be welcome. Best,

There is already a bonus to manpower replenishment speed when at peace of +150 %. Additionally there is a reduction in manpower recoverz as your % of total manpower goes down to represent less reserves being at home having babies as they are sent off to join the army. Atm it is a bit too severe so ill be looking at easing that in a future update. This mechanic however, means no country has an endless replenishment of men and wars will need to be ended relatively quickly before ones manpower is exhausted. As such an attrition/hit and run strategy is a viable option even against very large oponents. Future changes to further increase the impact of tactics will add to this.

With sieging, currently the base length of time required to siege is doubled from vanilla to represent exactly what you are referring to. However, now i have increased the max number of breaches i should look at reducing the max base amount as well to further increase siege times. Additionally i really want to add a siege engine mechanic where an army can spend gold to get more breaches, though ive not fully determined how to implement this as my last attempt was a failure.

As for trade i think you make good points that it is too broad atm, though the options are a little restricted with what can be done there. My current thoughts for how to improve it is to add a couple new city buildings

New buildings concept:

Firstlz
- Reduce base trade range
- remove access to larger ships from tech and add it to a port building

Trade port - Increase trade range
+1 import route (if its possible)
Military Port - Ship production speed
- Required for next port
Shipyard - Unlocks large ships
- increased further ship production speed and perhaps reduced cost

You mean you halved the siege time, not doubled? Thanks a lot, I forgot to ask - can you make a manual download available rather than just the steam version? There were a few other things I would enjoy to modify for myself - eg in the vanilla version tribesmen pay more tax than freemen which seems silly, slaves have a happiness of 100 pc but citizens 25 ! population growth, needs and trade goods benefits / terrain food production could also benefit from some modulating.
Am looking forward to play your mod and combine it with the Barbaricum one that fills the empty german area once if it gets updated.

Mod updated to latest verison with some additional changes

- Updated to new version

Additional Changes
- Manpower turnover mechanic more gradual
- Manpower turnover replacement period increased from 20-30 years to account for older retired soldiers being able to rejoin should manpower get very low. If soldier start at 18 this would mean that the mod expects they will retire at 48 years old. For balancing reasons it may be increased slightly but id be pretty hesitant to make it much more than 50. let me know what you think of the current balance.
-Ruler stats have greater impact
- Other manpower tweaks

Is this generally the main mod for vanilla IR?

A legion would be 120men so 2 x maniple = 1 in game unit

so

Alae (300 cav) = 1 units cav
approx 1200 skirms = 5 light inf
all 3 types of main inf would be classified as heavy inf in game
1200 hastati = 5 units heavy inf
1200 principes = 5 unists heavy inf
600 triarii = 2 units heavy inf

then add the socii of the same amount except 3 x the cavalry

So total army would be
4 cav
10 light inf
24 heavy inf

A legion would be 120men so 2 x maniple = 1 in game unit

so

Alae (300 cav) = 1 units cav
approx 1200 skirms = 5 light inf
all 3 types of main inf would be classified as heavy inf in game
1200 hastati = 5 units heavy inf
1200 principes = 5 unists heavy inf
600 triarii = 2 units heavy inf

then add the socii of the same amount except 3 x the cavalry

So total army would be
4 cav
10 light inf
24 heavy inf
thank you so much! :)

Splendid.

@Magnar

Possible bug in Infantry terrain modi:
Archers and LI get 100% on cost an maintenace, while f.e. HI gets only 10%.
Don't think this is wad because now HI and even HC is much cheaper than archers and LI ;-)

01_culture_unit_vv
-HELLENIC-

Last edited:
Mod has been updated:
- Readded Harvest Seasons mod and recoded parts of it to make it work with recent updates
- Fixed all the scripting bugs i could find
- Recoded unit terrain script to improve performance
- Reduced unrest caused from war exhaustion significantly.
- Improved UI descriptions for unit terrain modifiers.

• 6Like
Reactions: