• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Galle

Lt. General
70 Badges
Apr 20, 2009
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sengoku
  • Rome Gold
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Majesty 2
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Deus Vult
  • Ancient Space
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Age of Wonders III
  • BATTLETECH
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • 500k Club
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Victoria 2
The Duel Engine Mk II
Generic Mod Utility
Yes, that's right, one of the Game of Thrones mod's most popular features is now available in Europe as well. After a painstaking de-Westerosification process, we're releasing the duel engine in a generic form that can be incorporated into almost any mod, or even used as a standalone minimod in and of itself.

The duel engine adds an entire new feature to Crusader Kings II - one-on-one duels between individual characters, weight based on traits including physical strength, intelligence, and mastery of swordsmanship. This demonstration module includes both the engine itself and an example duel, involving two opposing commanders on a battlefield. The version of the engine included here is significantly more advanced and better optimized than the one used in A Game of Thrones v.0.2.1, and includes an optional - though untested - flavor scheme allowing you to mark duels as either tourney jousts or battlefield duels.

Download the Duel Engine Mk II v0.2.2 HERE
Checksum: ZPBC
Compatible With: Crusader Kings II 1.06b

Credits
Lead Design and Scripter: Gregory Hayes (Galle)
Additional Design and Scripting: Ran Miller (Ogaburan)
Art: Lost to the ages, sadly; if the icon artist comes forward, I'd be happy to add them to this list
Special Thanks To: The AGOT mod team

Screenshots
View attachment c7IzZ.jpg View attachment 8q6vf.jpg

FAQ
So, I can use this in my own mod?
That's the general idea, but please make sure to credit us.

How come Character X doesn't have...
The demonstration module prioritizes compatibility over any sort of thoroughness or historical accuracy, so there are no changes to any historical characters. Feel free to give your favorites the combat traits if you want to.

How do I use the duel engine as part of an event chain in my mod?
See instructions in duel_engine_events.txt and duel_engine_output_events.txt

How can I change the formula the duel engine uses to calculate outcomes?
The event which calculates the winner of any given individual round is duel.4. Option A will be selected if the Ai determines that the first fighter (FROMFROM) wins the round, and Option B will be selected if the second fighter (FROM) wins the round. For positive factors, add a positive ai_chance modifier to Option A if FROMFROM qualifies, and a positive ai_chance modifier to Option B if FROM does. For negative factors, add a positive ai_chance modifier to Option A if FROM qualfies, and a positive ai_chance modifier to Option B if FROMFROM does.

Reactions:
Yes!!! I was mucking around in the AGOT files trying to do this for a personal mod of mine but it was pretty hard to "de-Westerosify" and gave up (again) about five minutes ago. You can imagine my surprise and pleasure to see that I didn't have to. Thank you very much.

Hey Galle,
I've sent you a PM about this...
...but thought it might be useful to ask this in public, others might be interested in the answer as well.

Hope you can help:
I'd like to add options for each Duel Round - so, for instance, on the first Duel Round, the player/AI would face the decision to go
(a) agressive
(b) traditional
(c) defensive
and these stances would affect the odds of the Duel.
Is this possible?
The reason I ask is because I remember there were issues with the MTTH and the time things were processed...

Thank you

Hi,

I have played game of thrones and prince and the thane mod and both have a duel part. In my games , duel add a fun to battles , i can only greet you for this!

I have a something to say though. When i played GoT mod , Tywin Lannister died in a duel in battle. For those who have the books knows That he is not the kind to throw himself into duel . So what about general That prefere not to go in the Heat of battle. Because those who dont will necessary have a chance to get the coward trait. As duel event cant be avoided , you should get some options for general who prefers lead their army from behind ? ( and this not a necessarely a sign of cowardice)

Hey Galle,
I've sent you a PM about this...
...but thought it might be useful to ask this in public, others might be interested in the answer as well.

Hope you can help:
I'd like to add options for each Duel Round - so, for instance, on the first Duel Round, the player/AI would face the decision to go
(a) agressive
(b) traditional
(c) defensive
and these stances would affect the odds of the Duel.
Is this possible?
The reason I ask is because I remember there were issues with the MTTH and the time things were processed...

Thank you

This should easily be possible. The Mk II doesn't use MTTH, which means those problems are no longer an issue - instead, it uses ai_chance for its RNG.

If I were attempting to add combat options to the duel engine, I'd add the options to events duel.2 and duel.3, and have the chosen option set a character flag that was used to weight the odds by duel.4 (determining the winner), and possibly duel.7 (determining the severity of the round's outcome).

May I borrow this wonderful idea for my Sengoku mod? I know the codes of the both games are different, but I would like to try to adjust the content to MIH.

May I borrow this wonderful idea for my Sengoku mod? I know the codes of the both games are different, but I would like to try to adjust the content to MIH.

I am one hundred percent okay with this, provided the AGOT team, Ogaburan, and I are credited for whatever you do use. CK2 and Sengoku's code is close enough, and the Duel Engine uses little enough of CK2's features, that converting it shouldn't be very hard.

I think galle is always ok (refer to the FAQ) good luck to add that in sengoku

Yeah, I just prefer a direct permission from the creators, since as a modder I would like to know where my work is played and used.

I am one hundred percent okay with this, provided the AGOT team, Ogaburan, and I are credited for whatever you do use. CK2 and Sengoku's code is close enough, and the Duel Engine uses little enough of CK2's features, that converting it shouldn't be very hard.

Thanks. CK2 has more variety in modding so I might have to simplify your coding in Sengoku, but otherwise the concept of this Duel Mod will work fine for the Japanese middle ages.

Is this compatible with v 1.07?

Are there any plans to release an independent version of the tournament system used in the AGoT mod, as well? That would work especially well in Europe given how lackluster the current Grand Tournament decisions are.