• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Damask15

Private
3 Badges
Oct 31, 2009
  • Majesty 2
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • 500k Club
Welcome to Ultimate Wizards. This mod is designed to do two things: first, to make all wizards more powerful, and second, to make spellcasting a much more integral part of the game. To this end, a number of major changes have been applied to perks and casting times. Several minor changes have also been added to alter the overall Warlock experience. Note that, while Ultimate Wizards does make the AI players more challenging, it wasn't designed to specifically increase the game's difficulty. I recommend you check out temudjin-khan's excellent "Impossible Mod" if you're looking to do that.

Requirements

A legitimate copy of Warlock and ALL the DLC packs.

Compatibility

Ultimate Wizards is NOT compatible with temudjin-khan's "Impossible Mod" or Flyby's "Reduced spawns/More effective cleansing spell" mod. It should be compatible with saroumana's "Far away" mod, however, be aware that that mod can sometimes cause the game to crash when you try to generate a new map. When used by itself, Ultimate Wizards has no compatibility issues.

Installation

Drop d170.pack into your "Warlock - master of the arcane" folder. For example, if you're using the Steam version of Warlock, your path is probably something like:

C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\warlock - master of the arcane.

You'll know you're in the right place when you see 3 other .pack files, mainly d100.pack, d110.pack, and d120.pack. To uninstall the mod, simply delete d170.pack or move it out of the main Warlock folder.

Major Mod Changes

1) All spells have had their casting times cut in half and rounded down. For example, if a spell originally had a casting time of 10, it now has a casting time of 5. If a spell had a casting time of 15, it now has a casting time of 7. This goes a long way in taking care of "mana overflow", where you build up hundreds in mana, but aren't able to spend it fast enough. You should also see the AI casting spells more frequently. Moreover, this change stacks with spells that affect casting times. So if you can throw down enough buffs, you'll be casting like a wizard boss.

2) Perks have been dramatically strengthened. I wanted to make the different wizards really stand out from one another. Their perks now make a BIG difference. They should also make the AI a bit stronger.

3) Wizards have all been given new perks. Many of them have more than 10 points worth. I did this to make the AI's more powerful, and also to provide them with perk combinations that work well together. Note that, if you customize certain wizards and uncheck their perks, you’ll end up with more than 10 perk points. If you ONLY want the standard 10 perk points, you can hit the Reset button on the customization screen and that will clear your perks and give you 10 points. Also, keep in mind that you don't have to use all your perk points if you feel they make you too powerful.

Minor Mod Changes

-Heroes arrive much more frequently. As always, if you have a full complement of 4 heroes, no more will appear until you free up a slot.

-Resources can no longer be destroyed. Now, if a Dremer gate explodes or a volcano goes off beside a resource, it’ll act just like a Holy Ground or a Mystic Portal and stay as it is. At most, the terrain underneath it might change.

-There are no longer any penalties for offrace growth and resource production. These were easily dealt with by the player, but tended to hurt the AI, especially because the AI doesn't seem to specialize its cities.

-Dragon Queen's starting race has been changed from Humans to Elves. Everyone seems to agree on this.

-Clean the Land was turned into an area of effect spell. Note that this does NOT invalidate Restore Ardania, since Restore Ardania works on destroyed lands and Clean the Land doesn't.

-Master of War now gives +3 XP per turn instead of +1. I felt this trait was relatively useless in the vanilla game. Now, at least, it does something.

-Perception now gives +3 XP per turn instead of +1. Like Master of War, I felt this trait was fairly useless in its original state and needed a buff to make it useful.

-Koatl Villages now appear with the same frequency as Elven Villages and Dwarven Settlements. They were far too rare before.

-The Sepentorium now gives +30% Mana to make it more comparable to the bonuses provided by resource buildings in the Elven Villages and Dwarven Settlements.

-The 4 "Super Spells" (Mind of the Ancients, Pat of the Ancients, Care of the Ancients, and Dragonfire Storm) can now be learned like any other spell, albeit at huge research costs. They’ve had their casting times increased to make them slightly more balanced with other spells.

-Agrela's Summon Treewarden spell now correctly summons a Treewarden instead of a Demonwood.

-Elves can now build Dragon Conservatories on red dragon eggs.

-A god's "temple threshold" has been lowered from -10 to -95. This allows for dramatically increased temple options, since you can construct and use temples for a god until just before you become the champion for their rival. Note that divine spells are NOT affected by this change, so you still need to keep up a good relationship with a god if you want to use and research their magic.

-Destroying a temple now reduces favor with a god by 10 instead of 20.

-The frequency of volcano eruptions and falling meteors has been dramatically decreased in Armageddon mode. I felt that neither of these events added all that much to gameplay, and were mostly just annoyances. Moreover, they could badly hurt the AI, which never seems to clean up the terrain that they destroy.

-Unit and Hero experience requirements have been reduced at higher levels.

-Experience gained from attacking, defending, and healing has been increased from 4, 2, and 2 to 10, 5, and 5. This helps units level faster.

-Ice Terrain no longer gives a +20% bonus to gold. The idea that snow = money just never made sense to me.

-Lower the Lands has been changed from an area of effect spell to one that only affects a single tile. This gives the player more precision when terramorphing.

-Multiple resource spawn locations have been changed:

Adamantium and Nevril no longer appear on Ardania. This makes other lands important to explore.
Donkeys no longer appear in Lava (too hot) or Moon worlds (space donkeys?).
Pigs no longer appear in Lava or Moon worlds.
Magic Fields no longer appear in Desert, Ice, Lava, or Moon worlds.
Pumpkins no longer appear in Desert, Ice, Lava, or Moon worlds.
Dwarven Settlements no longer appear in Lava or Moon worlds.
Elven Villages no longer appear in Lava, Desert, or Moon worlds.
Halberd Halls no longer appear in Lava or Moon Worlds.
Koatl Villages no longer appear in Lava, Ice, or Moon worlds.
Minotaur Caves no longer appear in Lava, Ice, or Moon worlds.

-The casting time of both Create Artifact spells has been slightly increased. This was done to prevent a bug where, if you managed to cast either of these spells in a single turn, the game could crash.

-After much play testing, the Volcano spell was set back to its original casting time. Otherwise the AI would try to use it almost every turn.

-Divine terramorphing spells now work on most destroyed lands, even if their description doesn't say they do. Note that there's a difference between destroyed lands and destroyed mountains. Some divine terramorphing spells don't work on destroyed mountains, for the simple reason that they don't work on regular mountains either.

Bugs

I've tested this mod with more than a dozen hours of playtime. As far as I know, there aren't any bugs except those which already exist in the vanilla game. As with any mod, however, you use this at your own risk!

Possible Future Changes

Unit rebalancing and further bug fixing. If you have any feedback, let me know!

Thanks!
-D15

Download Ultimate Wizards here:

View attachment Ultimate Wizards.zip

Version 2

Thanks to everyone for your feedback! I’ve updated Ultimate Wizards with a new version 2.0 that has the following changes:

-Experience gained from attacking, defending, and healing has been lowered from 10, 5, and 5 to 5, 3, and 3.

-Ice Terrain once again gives a +20% bonus to Gold.

-Destroying a temple now reduces favor with a god by 20 (the default) instead of 10.

-Pig Farms now generate +10 food instead of +6. This was kind of a forgettable resource in the vanilla game and now it’s more valuable.

-Monster and Elves can now build Magic Gardens. Magic Fields are one of the most common resources, so I wanted to give all the races more options about what they could put on them.

-Upkeep for Invisibility has been raised from 3 to 10 mana. This is one of the strongest spells in the game and needed to be a little more expensive.

-Krolm’s Housecarls (easily the worst temple unit in the game) have had their Hit Points raised from 40 to 70 and their Damage raised from 16 to 20. Thanks to Xartah for suggesting these changes.

Download Ultimate Wizards Version 2 here:

View attachment Ultimate Wizards Version 2 - fixed.zip

Last edited:
This mod kinda makes game too easy. However I like some of the changes like resource placement and buffed exp giving traits.
Some questions and ideas tho:
1. Why remove gold from snowy terrain? it's gained by selling precious furs of snow-dwelling creatures!
2. Why make lower lands spell to be 1-hex instead of adding new one? (not sure if there no single target lowering spell already... pretty sure there is both single anf 7-hex versions of raising tho)
3. Agreed about volcanoes and resources immunity to them, but in my opinion destroyed lands should destroy resources! (well, it was DESTROYED, right?)
4. Buff on exp gain is too big, although i agree that it needs buffing. Is possible to tie exp gained with tier of involved units? So basic goblin attacking an absolute dremer would get like 13-15 exp for attack, but legendary hero would get only 5-7?
5. Do not reduce exp needed at higher levels. Better add perks that add hp so heroes without extreme built-in resistances would not die in one shot by dremer mages(not absolute, but regular ones). Tho ghost of king (that one with spirit immunity) is unkillable even with current state(should be nerfed somehow)
6. Destorying a temple should be moved to even more negative amount instead of lovering it. You made it so now it actually possible to build a temple then ruin it and nothing happens and if you conquer city with already built temple it would have minor impact if you decide to leave temple as it is or to destroy it. Imo it would be great immersion to have an "holy crusade against heretics" when destorying an enemy god's temple gives a high boost to devoted god's relation like an 25 or 30.

I agree that this mod makes the game too easy, but I do like some of the changes.

Undead casters are a bit OP now, especially in MP games. One cannot build armored units in fear of lightning bolt barrage and they can maintain it constantly.

I like the exp changes, dislike the change to snow but that makes it a bit harder to maintain an army.

I do like the perk changes, but somehow needs some balance. it's not right that I can cast 3x ice trap in a single turn. That just nullifies the opposing army. Etc.

Agrela's Summon Treewarden in the begining it was summoning the correct unit, i think they mess this up, now you refixed :happy:
Most of these changes is on my mod that i use here, how good is the extra xp from normal units?
How do you make the Elves build the Conservatory?
Did you manage to create something new? So far i'm unable to create anything new, only editing.
I also use half over population (now cities can grow to bigger sizes)
More resources on map and close to each other.
Maybe you can raise the dragon eggs on lava worlds.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I think I may create a version 2 of the mod that changes some of the items you've all mentioned and add it here. If I do, I'll still keep the original mod up, so people can download whichever one they want. To answer people's specific comments:

@player1 fanatic - Thanks!

@jet800 - You make a lot of excellent points. I'll plan to add back the snow-terrain gold bones and reduce the unit/hero exp gain in the next version of the mod. I may also change the temple destruction cost, too, as you're right that there should be more consequences for destroying them. Unfortunately, I don't think it's possible to implement an exp system that changes with the tier of involved units. That's an excellent notion, but you'd have to modifying the game scripts to pull it off and I don't believe the mod tools allow us to do that.

@jk_bonn - Thanks!

@lurtze1 - Yes, I believe that most mods should be compatible with multiplayer if both players install them.

@wapamingo - I'm planning to put back in the snow gold bonus in the next version of the mod. Good point about Undead casters--I don't play them often, so I hadn't considered the lightning barrage. Maybe a solution to that (and the 3x ice trap) would be lowering the overall spell casting time reduction by 25% instead of by ~50%?

@Merephet - The extra xp from normal units should make them level noticeably faster, which I thought was good because even in super long games (200+) turns, unless you're using a unit constantly, it's rare to ever get them to high levels with the vanilla exp settings. As for adding a dragon conservatory to elves, I modified buildingtrees.binary and copied the <building> <s_objectType>bld_u_dragon_glasshouse</s_objectType> (copy all the other parameters in this location, too) </building> object from the undead tree and added it to the elven one. Like you said, I haven't really been able to create anything new for the game, just changing values and moving things around. I suspect that you might be able to create new spells by copying/pasting old ones and then changing their values and name, but I haven't experimented enough with that to be sure that it works. Also, I like your resource suggestions, but I'm not sure there are any values I could change that would implement them.

@Morvagor - Yikes, that's a strong bunny! And good point about the exp gain for units, I'm planning to reduce that in the next version of the mod.

How about some balance changes and fixes? Krolm's housecarls are worthless. I changed their HP 40->70 (highest for archers) and attack 16->20 (equal to beastmaster). Sart de Torvega has diamond scale (immune to banes) as a unique level 15 perk. It is useless since he has been immune since level 1. I changed it to +30 spirit resistance. Lord Keeper has Heavy arrow as a perk at level 10. It says it does AoE damage but it doesn't, making it quite useless. Can't really change the attack to be AoE since it is also used by arethi archers and they don't need buffs. Changing it to some other AoE attack such as from bowmaster can fix it.

Hello! I played your mod significantly the past day, probably around 10 hours or so if not more.

Large map, 6 Wizards.

My feedback is the following;

Enemy wizards seem to mass produce quite a bit, which is nice!
Sadly they dont really travel the world... seems like its hardcoded into the game that they just refuse to leave the borders
Because of the huge starting cash if you choose, the comp likes to ask for outragious demands, which is fun cause it means lots of wars! ( sadly only border wars )
I like some of the changes like the +3xp perk.
I like the lots of spells being used now, and that some of the better ones still require few turns to research.

The only thing I dont like is that the game is really easy even on impossible, and I believe the cause is because of your changes to XP gaining. I don';t mind some of the reduced xp required on later levels, that way we can see level 15 units, but the xp gain is so fast, that even in early game you can get really high level units so quick the comp doesnt stand a chance. I think if you reduce the xp by half of what you improved, it would still be quicker but not as huge as it is now.

Hope this helps and hope you keep making adjustments!

I've added a Version 2 of this mod. Thanks to everyone for their feedback!

@Xartah - Great comments. I've changed Krolm's Housecarls as you suggested. Good points about Torvega and the Heavy Arrow perks, too--maybe if there's a version 3 of the mod, I can look into updating those. I have a feeling we'll all be playing Warlock 2 by then, though!

@Jin Shepard - Thanks for your comments! You're right about the AI being kind of shabby, but, as you noted, that's hardcoded into the game and beyond what a mod can fix. Maybe the developers will make the AI better in Warlock 2, since that's been announced. You're also right about the game being easy on impossible, so I've gone ahead and reduced the experience gain and that may help a little. Sadly, there's only so much we can do with the mod tools we have.

I like the idea of the mod, though I hope you'll find a way to make it compatible with Impossible mod as well. The ai needs the help...

As for ice = gold because of furs? If that was true, why do so extremely few people live in the icy areas of the world?

But I guess the whole terrain bonus thing is just a pale copy of Civ. And if you were to fiddle too much with the values, the ai would be royally screwed.

Not sure if Mod is active

installed to correct location but the cleanse the land spell still is only cleaning one tile...thought it was a area wide spell. trying to locate a way to verify mod is active.
thanks guys

I'm having the same problem--I've placed the file in the game directory, and it's simply not changing anything. I tried "Far Away" (separately) and I'm pretty sure it didn't do anything either. Any idea what could be going on?

Blumsha, I hope someone responds with help really stumped why mod is not working in my steam version
let me know if you here something or figure it out.
stats- windows 8.1 asus gaming laptop, having no problems running vanilla game thru steam

maybe something we need to add to steam launch options just a guess
bckh4

Last edited:
Agree - I've installed this properly I'm sure, yet there's no apparent change to the game. Perhaps the last patch changed something about loading mods? I see the OP is discussing modding Warlock2, so perhaps he needs to be PMed to come back here and check into this ...

The problem with the latest download is quite simple. If you just unpack the v2 download, you'll see that the files are still in xml form, whereas they need to be in .binary form. Just follow the instructions in this forum to convert the files.
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?687193-First-modding-tools

After you do that, it works. I am also happy to attach my fixed version. However, it seems I am not allowed to post attachments. I can email to someone else to post.