• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
U
Wielding power behind the scenes as regent? The closest you'll get is dominating council voting by getting and calling in Favours. Alternatively, create a submod that enables the Permanent Regency mechanics in additional places (it'd not be straightforward) or that adds something else in a similar vein.

Deposing the emperor as a vassal and becoming emperor/empress? Fabricate or inherit a claim and create a faction. Alternatively, create a submod that allows plot-based coups, adding a decision for a regent to coup someone, or the like.

Why we're not doing Permanent Regencies (or something similar) in China/Chinese Imperial realms:

- Both the various Permanent Regency mechanics and various Chinese Imperial mechanics (the MoH, the Grace system, etc.) are rather messy behind the scenes (mostly due to it being unavoidable; there probably are a few bits that could be less messy), and the two categories of mechanics -- and certain other mechanics adjacent to those categories -- were designed under the assumption that they never would interact with each other (or with one of the two categories for some adjacent mechanics). Even discounting adjacent mechanics (e.g. the Treasure Fleet) that might need changes, I'd say it'd be necessary to manually review upwards of 100k lines of script scattered across several files, and with significant adjustments likely being necessary (even if you opt against things like e.g. letting a Permanent Regent in China oversee Tribute/Boon acceptance) it'd be also necessary to do a significant amount of testing to ensure that both the existing functionality is maintained and that the new functionality works as desired.

- While China had some regencies where the regent was powerful (and periods where certain other officials had significant power), it wasn't really comparable to the Tenno having a regent in nearly all start dates (and between early starts/after 1337.1.1) or the Shogun having a regent for most of the Kamakura Shogunate's existence.

- We want the experience of playing as/in China/Chinese Imperial realms to be somewhat different from playing as/in a Japanese Imperial realm (or a non-Chinese Imperial Japanese empire where the Shogun potentially gets a regent). Giving China/Chinese Imperial realms Permanent Regency mechanics would push Japan towards "Budget China" territory.

Why we're not doing coups/takeovers using plots:

- Much like vanilla, we sometimes have to opt against historical accuracy due to other factors, and in this case we're opting for what's (subjectively) more fun. I have little doubt that people would find it fun to overthrow their liege, but I also have little doubt that many people would find it unfun to be overthrown and that some people might consider it unfun enough that they stop playing that campaign. Even if it was game ruled (and "Just game rule it!" is not always appealing or sensible), it'd still require it to be added and tested, and possibly adjustments to other things to account for it potentially being active.

- Vanilla has opted against plot-based coups even where they happened (e.g. the ERE). We're not messing with vanilla outside of a few previously mentioned exceptions, so we'd obviously not be able to add coups in relevant vanilla areas, and it seems like a good idea to remain consistent with vanilla's "No plot-based coups" approach.

- There are other ways to depose a ruler already, and there are ways to depose a dynasty as well, and we're making it slightly easier in (sub-Average MoH) Chinese Imperial realms already. It feels a bit redundant, and the other approaches let you fight back to some extent, which presumably is vastly preferable if you are not the would-be usurper.

In both cases, it's also worth noting that Tianxia -- much like vanilla -- has to simplify things to an extent and it's thus not possible for everything that happened historically to happen in the game, that existing mechanics/flavour not directly related to the special government mechanics likely would need to be reviewed and possibly adjusted to account for government mechanics they're currently not ever interacting with, and that future mechanics/flavour might get messier (and might get scrapped if they're deemed too messy) due to having to interact with more special government mechanics (and this would not just be mechanics/flavour added in Japan or China as certain other cultures and religions are eligible for Chinese Imperial). It's also impossible to accommodate every request and every possible playstyle, so if something doesn't seem like a good idea to us (for whatever reason) we'll probably skip it and instead work on other things -- related or not -- that we think are good ideas unless it's a very easy request to accommodate.

Since it's tangentially relevant: I'm aware of the Goryeo military regime, and it's something that would be interesting to try to model, but I really think that copy-pasting Permanent Regencies for that would be a bad idea. Some other possibilities are being considered, but as of right now it isn't certain that any of them will pan out, and it's possible we'll just go with a very empowered council and the dictator controlling nearly every county in the realm.

Fujiwara no Yorimichi, i.e. the Kampaku in 1066? You could check the English Wikipedia page for him or a translated version of the Japanese Wikipedia page for him (I can't vouch for the translation being accurate, but I doubt it's deliberately inaccurate) for some information, and he was important enough that you likely can find quite a bit of information about him if you go looking.

As for him starting as a Ghost Gatherer, that's not pre-scripted, but since he's scripted to start with one vice (Proud) he's eligible for being randomly picked as a starting member (and he'd need to get rather lucky with the random traits and attributes to be eligible as a starting member in some other society), which means he is reasonably likely to end up in the Ghost Gatherers. It's possible he'll get some more traits when Japan is worked on again, which might push him towards another society, but I rather doubt he'll not start with Proud due to the "Just the First Subject" thing, and thus he'll remain eligible unless we specifically exclude Permanent Regents (which isn't currently planned).

I'll check if that's broken.
Uhm, Yorimichi don’t show up in the interesting character list for me, is that supposed to be?

Uhm, Yorimichi don’t show up in the interesting character list for me, is that supposed to be?

Have you selected the correct bookmark (it has to be the "The Empires in the North" bookmark, not any other 1066.9.15 bookmark)? If so, which characters are listed as interesting characters? The intended list is Go-Reizei ("Reizei II"), Minamoto no Yoshiie (a.k.a. Hachimantaro), Fujiwara no Yorimichi, Kiyohara no Takenori, Yingzong of Song ("Zhao Shu"), Xingzong of Liao ("Liao Hongji"), Yizong of (Xi)-Xia ("Weiming Liangzuo"), and Wanyan Wugunai (posthumously Xizong of (Jurchen) Jin).

If he doesn't show up, it's a very minor bug (as he should still be possible to select manually).

What happen if the Tenno dies and no other Yamato exists?

Assuming you mean the Imperial Family (Yamato dynasty), I'd assume k_chrysanthemum_throne passes to a random Shinto vassal or courtier, similar to how vanilla would use a fallback vassal or courtier if a dynasty goes extinct (and there are no eligible members of another dynasty), unless there's some special rule (e.g. "Consider bastards legitimate in this case") that comes in to play generally or any special rules for (temporal) rel head titles (e.g. destroying the title outright instead of giving it to a random character) that I'm unfamiliar with.

We've not tested it as it's pretty unlikely to happen during normal gameplay (normal gameplay would of course not cover a player going out of their way to wipe out the Imperial Family as if they were Karlings), but we've not e.g. told the game to destroy k_chrysanthemum_throne in such a scenario, and the only things of relevance we've done is setting some special conditions (that probably should be harsher than they are) for recreation of the title and removing the protections k_chrysanthemum_throne has against claimant factions for claimants outside the Imperial Family if k_chrysanthemum_throne ever falls into the hands of another dynasty, so whatever vanilla would do in such a case would be what Tianxia does.

What determine how much loot I get from slaying dragons? Is the reward for slaying dragons in the LNY different from the reward from going on a successful dragon slaying journey? How can I obtain the Vial of Immortality?

We
Have you selected the correct bookmark (it has to be the "The Empires in the North" bookmark, not any other 1066.9.15 bookmark)? If so, which characters are listed as interesting characters? The intended list is Go-Reizei ("Reizei II"), Minamoto no Yoshiie (a.k.a. Hachimantaro), Fujiwara no Yorimichi, Kiyohara no Takenori, Yingzong of Song ("Zhao Shu"), Xingzong of Liao ("Liao Hongji"), Yizong of (Xi)-Xia ("Weiming Liangzuo"), and Wanyan Wugunai (posthumously Xizong of (Jurchen) Jin).

If he doesn't show up, it's a very minor bug (as he should still be possible to select manually).

Assuming you mean the Imperial Family (Yamato dynasty), I'd assume k_chrysanthemum_throne passes to a random Shinto vassal or courtier, similar to how vanilla would use a fallback vassal or courtier if a dynasty goes extinct (and there are no eligible members of another dynasty), unless there's some special rule (e.g. "Consider bastards legitimate in this case") that comes in to play generally or any special rules for (temporal) rel head titles (e.g. destroying the title outright instead of giving it to a random character) that I'm unfamiliar with.

We've not tested it as it's pretty unlikely to happen during normal gameplay (normal gameplay would of course not cover a player going out of their way to wipe out the Imperial Family as if they were Karlings), but we've not e.g. told the game to destroy k_chrysanthemum_throne in such a scenario, and the only things of relevance we've done is setting some special conditions (that probably should be harsher than they are) for recreation of the title and removing the protections k_chrysanthemum_throne has against claimant factions for claimants outside the Imperial Family if k_chrysanthemum_throne ever falls into the hands of another dynasty, so whatever vanilla would do in such a case would be what Tianxia does.
No no, I don’t intend to be so inhumane as to, kill them all like that. I was just about to show them the light of The Awakened One.

What determine how much loot I get from slaying dragons? Is the reward for slaying dragons in the LNY different from the reward from going on a successful dragon slaying journey? How can I obtain the Vial of Immortality?

The loot is somewhat random and is generally less at the LNY (though you are guaranteed at least one of the more silly but less powerful items), since it's supposed to only be what the Emperor of Embers has looted on his way there in that case (plus possibly a Dragonscale Shield, which only can drop for the killer), with there of course being an option to head to the lair later to loot it now that it's not guarded. The drop at the lair scales a bit depending on how much damage he has caused since he spawned. If I remember correctly, the only difference in what can drop at the lair vs. the LNY is that one of the joke items only shows up at the lair.

Aside from some drops being blocked from dropping twice (e.g. if someone kill the Emperor of Embers at the LNY and gets the Living Flame, there won't be a second Living Flame at the lair) and the aforementioned joke item and Dragonscale Shield exceptions, it's completely random.

What are the chances of the Champion of Justice turning me into BBQ in the LNY celebrations?

She's much less dangerous than the Emperor of Embers (and while critical failure is a risk, a critical success is an automatic victory), though you don't get to drag in guests/guards/etc., which could be a concern at times. The chances of her showing up are slightly lower, but increases a bit if the element is Metal. As for not getting attacked in the first place, either hire guards and hope they chase her away, talk her down if the guards upset her (Diplomacy helps if you want the best possible outcome of that event), or don't be an evildoer (DW membership is definitely bad, but that's not the only possibility) if she arrives and declares she's there to Smite Evil and that that's you.

It's also possible that she'll show up and give you something nice, but it's rather rare and requires that you're a very good person.

What is best, being the Shogun, being the Tenno and being the Perma Regent?

It depends.

- The Tenno is locked into Japanese Imperial and is at risk of getting a Permanent Regent (and Shogun), but he has some inherent bonuses when it comes to the Japanese MO (extra society currency and influence) and the WotRS (he can't be given a Mark of Dishonour, etc.), the Chrysanthemum Throne itself has protection against non-dynastic claimants (unless the Imperial Family has lost it), and his unique succession law can be powerful unless the Permanent Regent interferes.

- The Permanent Regent is somewhat limited due to never actually being the overall ruler, but can pick between three different governments (Confucian Bureaucracy, Japanese Feudal, and Japanese Monastic Feudal). A more powerful vassal could attempt to take over the Permanent Regency, which could be a concern, and you also need to watch out for someone trying to become Shogun (if you're the Permanent Regent of the Tenno) or trying to restore direct imperial rule (if you're the Permanent Regent of the Shogun).

- The Shogun can pick between the same government options as the Permanent Regent and gets to be the top ruler, but is at risk of getting a Permanent Regent and of the Tenno being restored. You also lack the Tenno's special succession law, don't get special bonuses in societies, and can be deposed by a regular faction (e.g. someone pushing the previous ruler's non-dynastic grandson's claim).

I'd say a Tenno without a Permanent Regent or Shogun and with a wholly or mostly (a case can be made for either) depowered council probably is the most powerful unless you find his government restrictive (in which case a Shogun in the same position likely would be best), but a Tenno with a very empowered Permanent Regent and possibly a Shogun on top of that is the least powerful. The Permanent Regent depends a bit on the powers he has and how much he has been able to exploit them (if you control everything but your liege's capital, you're in a much stronger position than if your own powerbase is very weak) and whether you can stand not being independent. Being the Shogun can possibly be better than being the Tenno since you'll of course be independent as long as you remain Shogun while the Tenno can become a vassal, but I'd not say it's always the best pick.

What determine what options for dragon boon appear, and which boon is the most powerful?

You get at most four options, and which you get depends a bit on traits/stats/whether it'd be useful (e.g. if you're a woman over 45, the fertility boon wouldn't do anything, so it doesn't show up). All of the boons can be powerful, and the rulership boon can help with the MoH if you're Chinese Imperial, but if the dragon feels you're asking for too much he can refuse, so just telling him you appreciate that he showed up can be safer than asking for something.

So now, my treasure fleet have reached Cham, and nothing happens for 3-4 months? Is that normal?

If you're not accompanying the TF then you'll generally not hear anything between "TF arrived at A" and "TF arrived at B" (if you hear anything else, it usually means something bad happened to the TF). I think the time between stops is supposed to be roughly three months, but it's been a while since I wrote the event chain, and I might misremember as a result.

Relevant to troubleshooting:

- Was Champa the first stop for this particular TF?

- Does d_treasure_fleet have a holder at present?

- Is China still held by a Chinese Imperial ruler of the same dynasty?

If you're not accompanying the TF then you'll generally not hear anything between "TF arrived at A" and "TF arrived at B" (if you hear anything else, it usually means something bad happened to the TF). I think the time between stops is supposed to be roughly three months, but it's been a while since I wrote the event chain, and I might misremember as a result.

Relevant to troubleshooting:

- Was Champa the first stop for this particular TF?

- Does d_treasure_fleet have a holder at present?

- Is China still held by a Chinese Imperial ruler of the same dynasty?

Yes to all of those.

Yes to all of those.

Okay. I can't spot any obvious way the event chain could have broken if d_treasure_fleet has a holder and there hasn't been a dynasty change, but it'll be investigated, and knowing that it was the first port visit can potentially narrow it down a bit.

The best thing you can do at the moment is probably fire treasurefleet.503 in province 2753 (Hangzhou) to clean up the Treasure Fleet (as that has the fewest potential side-effects), though if you could check the save for any relevant Treasure Fleet flags (they should all be province flags in Hangzhou if I remember correctly, but please also check for any global flags) and post them in the bug report thread before you do that it'd be helpful.

As I've been unable to identify the issue so far I can't say if it might be reoccurring (or if there might be other, similar issues), so it might be best to leave the Treasure Fleet decision alone for the time being. If the issue has been identified and fixed, you can expect it to be listed ("Fixed a bug with the Treasure Fleet causing...", or the like) in the patch notes when a version with the fix is released.

How do I mark someone as my preferred Tenno heir as the Perma Regent, and what criterias do the AI consider when doing so?

You select them as you'd normally do in an election where you are an elector (if you're not an elector for the Tenno as the Permanent Regent, then you have not maxed out your powers yet, which is necessary to meddle in the succession) to nominate them, and then you use the regular decision to meddle in the succession. Using this decision costs 500 prestige if you're not currently actively meddling (100 prestige if you're already meddling and merely wish to renew the modifier) and makes your vote worth more than the Tenno's (meaning your heir wins since he's the only other elector) for two years unless he counters the meddling (costing 500 prestige) or reduces your power to disable meddling (costing 1000 prestige).

If the AI isn't already meddling, it evaluates what it thinks about all possible candidates that aren't the current front-runner (i.e. the Tenno's candidate) as far as voting score goes roughly once per year and compares the best of those candidates to the Tenno's candidate, being more likely to meddle if the score differs by much, if it has certain traits (e.g. Ambitious), or if it really can't stand the Tenno (e.g. due to being rivals). If it is actively meddling, it checks whether it still feels like meddling based on traits and what it thinks of the Tenno and renews the modifier roughly once per year in that case. If it's got traits like Content, if it likes the Tenno a lot (e.g. due to being friends or lovers), or if the Tenno's candidate is decent as far as the AI's preferences go, it's less likely to meddle (or to keep meddling).

As for the voting score, there's a lot being considered, but big factors are being friends/lovers/rivals, the mother's dynasty (the Permanent Regent prefers for her to be from his dynasty, and ideally a close relative), the wife's dynasty (the Permanent Regent prefers for her to be from his dynasty, and ideally a close relative), whether the character has traits that'd make them get ideas such as "Having a Permanent Regent isn't good for me or the realm" (e.g. Ambitious), age (generally preferring younger candidates), and stats (generally preferring not-so-stellar stats). Meanwhile, the AI Tenno is rather more likely to pick someone with good stats, that's got a mother/wife from the Imperial Family, and that is his descendant (though a poor descendant might lose to a better sibling/uncle/etc.), and he doesn't really care about the heir having traits that'd make the Permanent Regent's life more difficult and would rate a high-stat character higher than a low-stat character if other factors were the same.

Uhm, I was doing the Become the Very Best quest, and somehow I got three event in which I defeated three different Unknown Master, and got three Champion Bloodlines?

That's definitely a bug. Did you defeat any other champions, or did it skip directly to the Unknown Master?