• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Any news on when the update is coming?

Until such a point that a release date is posted there won't be any information about when the update can be expected that's not some version of "Not soon".

For some reason the colormap of the base game is still showing up even though the one from the mod is in the terrain folder of the mod. What should I do to fix this?
20200321180719_1.jpg

For some reason the colormap of the base game is still showing up even though the one from the mod is in the terrain folder of the mod. What should I do to fix this?

I've not seen that bug happen before with Tianxia (or any mod I've had installed, even if I've seen other similar screenshots), so I'm not sure why you have it. My only real suggestion is that you make sure that you disable all other mods that modify the map in any way (including cosmetically) as well as all other non-cosmetic mods that aren't entirely self-contained (we've modified a bunch of vanilla files and there could be various issues if there is a conflicting mod).

Also, as I see you've got CM loaded in, be aware that we only support the Stamford Bridge start at this point (CM, tOG, and IC will probably be supported in the next version). Chances are the other starts don't cause CTDs or other major issues (and the map error is definitely not due to the start date choice, as that doesn't affect the map), but we haven't done any proper testing of the earlier starts for a good while and there are at the very least some issues with the historical setup.

Development Diary 37: Another Bookmark Progress Update
Dev Diary 37 - Another bookmark progress update

It has been a bit over three months since dev diary 32, so an update regarding the overall situation is probably a good idea. As in the case of the previous progress update there will be a few minor border mistakes here and there caused by various files being a work in progress, but if there is something particularly glaring that you notice you should feel free to point it out.

Africa has not been changed at all, so it will be skipped aside from this note.

The North (Mongolia, Manchuria, Korea, and Japan)

North_769.png

North_867.png

North_936.png

North_1066.png

The only changes here (beyond the Japanese de jure breakup and the new Regency and Shogunate mechanics in Japan) are the Mongol realms (which might get improved further) that are led by historical rulers (mostly Temujin's ancestors), the vassal setup in Japan in 1066 (still very WIP), and the fact that there's a new bloodline in Korea (that's obtained if you win the starting war as Goryeo in 936; it should not be a challenge).
Bloodline.png

The CB mentioned here is a duchy reconquest of land in the Korean peninsula (plus possibly Balhae if that de jure drifts or goes Korean) if you hold any appropriate kingdom or empire and have an appropriate (Korean/Jeju) culture and religion (Buddhist/Muist/Reformed Muist/Taoist).

China

China_769.png

China_867.png

A handful of counties that are independent in 769 and 867 aren't supposed to be independent (they're independent due to files being WIP), but most of the independent realms are supposed to be independent. Nearly every county north of the Yangtze has a historical ruler in both of these starts, while essentially everything but Lingnan in the south is using an old placeholder that still needs to be replaced or updated.

936 China hasn't changed since dev diary 34, so it isn't shown.

1066 China is currently a mess due to WIP files, so it isn't shown here.

Ryukyu hasn't been changed at all, and Taiwan has merely had character ids updated, so they will be skipped aside from this note

The Philippines

Philippines_769.png

Philippines_867.png

Philippines_936.png

Philippines_1066.png

The realms here have been broken up a bit. Nearly everyone is a placeholder. Cebuan culture is of course present now, as mentioned in dev diary 33.

Borneo and Sulawesi

Borneo_Sulawesi_769.png

Borneo_Sulawesi_867.png

Borneo_Sulawesi_936.png

Borneo_Sulawesi_1066.png

These islands have been broken up quite a bit. Banjari and Bugi culture has been added. As might be noticed if you look at the CoA borders some rulers become Hindu or Buddhist over time.

Java

Java_769.png

Java_867.png

Java_936.png

Java_1066.png

Java has been improved quite a bit. Bali and everything to the west of Bali now has historical rulers in all starts (and in some starts these realms have intermarried a bit, so watch out for claimants), Borobudur is present in Pajang, and both Sundanese and Balinese culture has been added.

Sumatra and the Malay Peninsula

Sumatra_769.png

Sumatra_867.png

Sumatra_936.png

Sumatra_1066.png

There are now proper historical or placeholder rulers in all the early (quite a few are placeholders). Nusantara now breaks up quite a bit (and might lose a little more than they have in the screenshots above before release) after 1028, in accordance with history (thank the Cholas for that), and Samudran and Batak culture is now present in some provinces.

All the Minangkabau realms (Kampar, Nias, Mentawai, and Bengkulu; all are placeholders) now start Enatic, and Minangkabau rulers can only have Enatic and Enatic-Cognatic succession unless they no longer follow the Melanesian or Reformed Melanesian religion (or the latter is reformed as either Equal or Agnatic Clans) as the Minangkabau people traditionally has matrilineal land inheritance. While the Melanesian religion is unlikely to be fleshed out as part of the next update (as Shenist/Shinto/Taoist have priority) that's at least something that'll make playing as the rulers in question feel a bit different.

South-eastern Asia hasn't been changed aside from a few minor fixes, so it has been skipped aside from this note.

Religion

Religion in the north is essentially the same, so nothing north of the Philippines will be shown here.

Religion_769.png

Religion_867.png

Religion_936.png

Religion_1066.png

While things are overall similar in the different start dates various pagans lose some ground, and a few Buddhist and Hindu provinces flip from one to the other.

What remains when it comes to the bookmark update (there are a few other things going into the next update that don't have to do with the history files that are not listed here):

- Adding a bunch of noteworthy non-rulers during Tang. I believe there's about a hundred left I have information about, so while it isn't too difficult it will still take some time.

- Either adding more Tang jiedushi (if possible; translation issues might prevent this) or a bunch of fictional placeholders in China in the CM and tOG starts.

- Adding a bunch of noteworthy non-rulers during the FDaTK. Unsure how many exist, and the amount of work it takes depends on how many characters there are to add.

- Either adding more historical rulers in China in the IC start or adding a bunch of fictional placeholders there in that start. Given which areas remain I suspect it will mainly be fictional placeholders.

- Either adding more historical rulers in China in the Stamford Bridge start or adding a bunch of fictional placeholders there in that start. I suspect there will have to be a great number of fictional placeholders as information (particularly information in English) seems more scarce during Song.

- Adding a bunch of noteworthy non-rulers during Song. Unsure how many exist, and the amount of work it takes depends on how many characters there are to add.

- Adding fictional Nivkh placeholders. I doubt it will be possible to find any historical characters. Relatively straightforward.

- Adding fictional Emishi placeholders, and possibly one or two more historical Emishi characters (I don't think it will be possible to add many historical ones). Relatively straightforward.

- Adding a bunch of fictional Ainu placeholders. They'd not be around in any start we'll support in the next version, but as it would be straightforward it could be done now. Relatively straightforward.

- Updating the existing Japanese characters. A good number of them could get traits, a good number of them are missing children, and all of them need new ids. Will take a bit of work.

- Adding a bunch of historical Yamato and Japanese characters, both rulers, members of the Imperial Family, and other noteworthy people. It seems reasonably easy to find information for a good number of characters, though adding them will of course take some time due to there being quite a few of them.

- Maybe adding some fictional Yamato and Japanese placeholders. I doubt it will be necessary, considering the above.

- Maybe adding vassals and noteworthy characters in Korea. I'm unsure how much information exists.

- Maybe breaking up the Mongol realm in the early starts a bit. The current characters are historical, but they hold quite a bit more land than they should, so adding ahistorical characters belonging to historical clans that held that land might be better.

- General bugfixing and polishing. I don't think there are many issues at the moment, but it still has to be done.

Taken all together, 840 combinations of [County]-[CM/tOG/IC/1066] still lack rulers, which is just below 26 %. However, it is hard to say how well this percentage reflects the remaining workload as any two counties aren't necessary equally difficult to update.

As has been the case for the last while there will probably not be another dev diary for a while as there's going to be a bunch of work related to the history files that won't really be worth showing until something has changed noticeably, but there might be the occasional minor teaser if something interesting gets done and maybe some flavour that's worth showing off gets done somewhere (the history files get a bit tedious to work on, as I've mentioned in the past). Until we've got a release candidate it is impossible to say anything regarding a release date, but as quite a few things remain it isn't going to happen extremely soon.

Last edited:
How do you know Malaya would be Hindu?

What happened to the Hindus in North Philippines?

How do you know Malaya would be Hindu?

"Know" is rather too strong a word, as the information that can be found is somewhat limited, but based on these maps and some information about the realms in the area the best choices would be Buddhist or Hindu (or Melanesian, I suppose, though that'd cause some realm stability issues) in the early starts. It is perhaps a bit too Hindu-heavy at the moment, since Srivijaya itself primarily was Buddhist, but with the Khmer Empire and various other Hindu realms nearby there'd likely be a significant Hindu presence.

Islam started showing up in force later on (based on when certain rulers, e.g. Mudzaffar Shah of Kedah (he's not around in Stamford Bridge, but he'll be a Secret Sunni before he publicly converts to hopefully nudge him slightly towards conversion), converted and things like the oldest known Muslim tombstone in Indonesia (which of course isn't in Malaya, but I've not found any similar information about Malaya) being from 1082 (despite there being rulers that were Muslim before that point, as you can see in the tOG, IC, and Stamford Bridge screenshots), Singapura not being Muslim, Tambralinga not being Muslim, and Srivijaya itself not being Muslim), so while flipping a few provinces in Malaya to Sunni in the earlier starts might be an option (even though it might cause rebellions) it does not seem like something that should be particularly common even if there obviously would have been Muslim merchants running around (which is reflected by some events that can fire in the area that can result in conversion of both rulers and counties even without player intervention (which of course can result in all kinds of conversion anywhere) in the region or normal Silk Road religion spread (which is somewhat favourable towards the area in question going Muslim)).

It should also be noted that some areas already change religion further down the timeline (e.g. Kedah and some other provinces convert with Mudzaffar, and Cambodia and some other parts of SEAsia go Buddhist after the Khmer emperors convert), even if there's guesswork there too and some things haven't been filled in (as we are focusing on the early starts and might not bother to change stuff for the later ones right away), so we're not going to leave everything as it is in 1066 and call it a day when we get to the point where we're working to support later start dates (though some areas might change less than others if we don't find any useful information; we'll not randomly add random religions in odd places just to change things if we like what we have).

What happened to the Hindus in North Philippines?

They were placeholders and either were flipped to another religion (Melanesian, in this case), moved elsewhere (some placeholder Tagalog dynasties had names that indicated that they really didn't belong where they were located), or outright replaced by new ones as part of the process of breaking up various realms (it's been a month and a half since I did the Tagalog files, so I'm not sure which was the case here), and based on the maps above and what information I managed to discover about the areas in question (plus the starting EU4 setup (where the dark red in the Philippines is Animist (which is present in some areas we've elected to make Hindu/Buddhist based on historical information, I should add)), which is the "end goal" we can work our way backwards from if we don't have any better information to go on) it doesn't seem like the area was overwhelmingly Hindu even if there obviously could have been some Hindu presence.

I suppose it would be possible to add some way to go Hindu more easily for Melanesian pagans, but it needs to be at least somewhat restricted to somewhat prevent obvious exploits like "Go Hindu, become feudal, and convert back" and to keep the AI from converting far too much (looking at the aforementioned "end goal", there should be quite a few pagan areas remaining even in the HYW start, since areas converting back to a pagan religion seems less likely than them staying pagan throughout the game). Given that the area isn't a current focus I'm not sure that'll be added before the next release, however, since the list of things we want to include in this release that aren't done is quite long already and we have other things that probably would be higher priority than this even if we go beyond the current plans (and I would assume that scope creep isn't desired as that'll obviously delay release).

Whem the update will come?

When it is ready, which it isn't going to be particularly soon.

We're currently in the middle of a major history file update (I'd ballpark the current number of new historical characters at about 2k, and we're not done yet with either them or the fictional placeholders we sometimes have to fall back on) that is guaranteed to break saves a minimum of one time (and we'd rather keep it at one time) and that largely has been done region-by-region, meaning anything we could rush out still only would support the Stamford Bridge start as the other dates have too many issues (e.g. Japan literally doesn't have a single playable vassal before 1066 that wasn't added today, which is kind of a big deal since it means there's not really a working Regency in 867 and 936) for us to be able to get even one of them done in a hurry.

In addition to this, there are several flavour things that we'd like to include in the next version, and work has yet to begin on a number of them. Sure, at least some of that work could be postponed to a later version since it is unlikely to break saves, but with the current plan (which might change, but that decision isn't up to me) regarding releases essentially being "Get a version with the early starts out, release a quick bugfix patch or two, and then don't release anything until we've got all start dates set up" (which won't exactly be trivial to do) I would imagine that a short delay for extra flavour would be preferable to not seeing that flavour for a good while longer, particularly as the release of CK3 (whenever that happens) might adversely affect Tianxia's development.

Chances are the next proper dev diary will be a while since current work can be divided into four categories that don't really make for good dev diaries:

- History file updates. Unless we can show off significant changes to a start date and we consider those changes to be more-or-less done this isn't particularly interesting to look at. Work is certainly progressing here, but it is taking a while due to there being a lot of characters to add (Case in point: After adding/updating a bit over 500 Fujiwaras work has begun on the descendants of Morosuke, meaning we've got quite a few left (note that that family tree is very much not complete when it comes to the descendants that aren't regents or along the primary line), and there are other dynasties to be added/updated in Japan (the Minamoto, Taira, and Tachibana clans, at the very least; the Imperial Family is more-or-less done at 600-odd characters (including some first-generation Minamotos/Tairas/etc.))) even if we don't add a ton of characters past the first four starts), and due to the fact that it is easier to work dynasty-by-dynasty it takes a while to actually get any particular date done.

ck2_3.png

An example of a character who has gotten quite a few new relatives (note: "Shogun" is due to CK2 being weird).

- Experimental stuff. There are things that would be nice to do that may or may not be possible to do. If any of these experiments pan out, chances are they'll be added and a dev diary will be posted, but as we'd rather not cause any confusion regarding what is and isn't going to be added we'll not be posting anything specific about the experiments until and unless they are successful.

- Stuff that we want you to discover on your own (or at least don't want to spoil before release). Much like how vanilla has the Demon Spawn, Joan of Arc, the Immortality events, and other rare or unusual stuff, we might be adding some rare stuff we don't want everyone to know about in advance even if they might become public knowledge after a while.

- Minor tweaks that don't make for a good dev diary (e.g. adjusting province religion/culture very slightly or fixing small bugs (vanilla or otherwise)), at least not unless there's a bunch of minor things we can show off at once.

With that said, it is possible that we'll post some filler dev diaries in the meantime as chances are at least some of you would prefer that over nothing at all. Is there anything in particular you'd like to see covered in a filler dev diary that is not a new feature you want us to add? There are no guarantees that we'll do a filler dev diary about something just because it is suggested, but if we don't have anything else in mind at the moment and something looks interesting to write about it might be something that gets covered.

Additionally, unrelated to the subject of filler dev diaries, is there something small -- a "five minute fix/addition" -- you'd like to see in the next version? There are no guarantees that these things will be done for the next version (or even at all, if we don't feel they're something we want to do), particularly since some of them might not be as small as they initially appear and some of them might not be added due to something else having priority, but it is possible that we could get at least a few smaller improvements out of the way.

Filler Dev Diary 1: Amusing bugs

Much as in the case of vanilla, Tianxia sometimes ends up with a few bugs, and while some of them can make you want to tear out your hair when the fixes you try don't work they can still be rather amusing from time to time. Here's a number of issues that have been fixed:

- Due to a mistake in the artefact spawn weights, Tianxia's newest artefact book ended up spawning rather far from where it was supposed to spawn. This also used to happen to another new artefact book that has been added, so maybe it just is books being weird?

ck2_1.png

I don't really see why any of these people have seen fit to acquire this particular artefact...

- The Regent was until recently unable to take back the regent position if he somehow lost it. Why? Because there already was a regent at the time, meaning that the position couldn't be granted. Everyone involved has now been told that if the Regent comes around and demands the title the other person loses the title before the Regent gets it.

- Several members of the Imperial Family managed to either be born after they died or to have children before they were born. The woman with the little blue box has been told to stay away from Japan.

- The LNY used to always be a celebration of the Year of the Pig. The zodiac now actually changes between years, which means the Year of the Dragon and various other years actually are a thing.

- Chinese mapmakers were convinced that Jiuquan was part of the Northern China region, which ends east of Chang'an. They've been re-assigned to a part of the bureaucracy that have nothing to do with maps.

- Shoguns with a Regent used to be able to claim that they didn't have an actual regency (as in one that blocks e.g. duels) if they left on a Buddhist pilgrimage. It has been explained to them that they are out travelling in that case and that that restricts their options more than what normally would be the case.

- Various side-effects resulted from the Japan region and its sub-regions containing Ryukyu and Hokkaido. All the people in power and all the figureheads have been informed that the maps dropped off by the woman with the little blue box are to be ignored until further notice.

On a non-bug-related note, there's another new culture in the mod.

ck2_2.png

Yo-ho-ho and a bottle of... sake!

The Wako (or Wokou, but as it is Japanese we're going with the former) were pirates that raided China and Korea (among other places) between the 4th and 16th centuries, and they thus are a raiding culture (though as is the case elsewhere the top liege needs to be able to raid for that to be an option for vassals, meaning Wako vassals shouldn't bother others much) with a preference for overseas raiding. The culture is present in Goto, Tsushima, and Iki, as those were major Wako bases, and can potentially pop up in other coastal (preferentially island) Yamato/Japanese provinces outside normal culture conversion on an infrequent basis (MTTH is 75 years before modifiers that make it rarer).

Gameplay-wise, the culture is treated as a child culture of Japanese (meaning they don't get "Foreigner" penalties towards each other), they're penalized a little in some Japanese flavour events (but generally preferred over non-Yamato/-Japanese rulers), and they don't count as "Chinese enough" as far as Chinese Imperial goes (without the game rule set to allow everyone to get that), mainly to ensure that there are some downsides to swapping to it (as it otherwise would be "Japanese with extra features" and obviously the better pick).

It is hard to say anything about when you can expect the next dev diary or whether it will be a proper one or not. A lot of the work still has to do with the history files, and, well, they're not the most exciting thing to show off...

History.png

Such history. Much character. Wow.

• 1Love
Reactions:
Will you have the rebellions of Taira no Masakado and Fujiwara no Sumitomo present at the start of the 936 bookmark?

Given that they rebelled in 939 they'll not be in rebellion in 936. However, both will be landed (Sumitomo already is, Masakado will be when he has been added), they will be friends (once both are in the files) to perhaps encourage cooperation of some kind, they will have some claims on provinces they attacked (meaning they'll probably wage wars on vassals there), and they will have traits that make them prone to being unruly (e.g. Ambitious).

I can report that the Imperial Family (of Japan), the Fujiwara clan (not including any cadets using different names (beyond the first generation), so e.g. the Five Regent Houses are missing), and the Minamoto clan (all the X Genjis are in, but not cadets like the Ashikagas (beyond the first generation)) are about as done as they're likely to get for quite some time (particularly as many characters both before 769 and after 1066 have been added). Given that the latter two hold quite a few titles I suspect that one or both might become the Karlings of the East as they'll have a lot of dynastic prestige and thus might find it easy to marry (though as they're individually weak most of the time they might not be able to press claims on other realms).

All together, there's a little over 1.7k historical Yamato/Japanese characters (and one Wako, as a certain someone was in cahoots with pirates and might as well be represented as one) in the new character file at the moment, which is a bit more than the 254 historical Japanese characters that existed in 7.1.0. Obviously there's still a bit to be done even in Japan, seeing as the Taira and Tachibana clans and several others that would be relevant early on (and later on, in some cases) aren't in (or are in need of major updates, in some cases), but there has been some progress since dev diary 37.

I had also intended to post a teaser screenshot regarding something that isn't just history file stuff, but apparently the forum doesn't like uploading things right now, so I guess I'll not be doing that...

• 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
The forum appears to be happier when it comes to attachments today, so I guess I'll post that teaser now...

Teaser.png

• 4Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
I don't usually post a lot but I'd like to take this opportunity to congratulate the whole team for dedicating their time and effort into this mod. Being a descendant from Han Chinese, I have always been interested in Paradox expanding further East, and although Jade Dragon wasn't too shabby, I would have preferred if they had followed through with something similar to this. On the other hand, I understand it might be unfeasible given the engine (even though this mod seems to do it without many issues of lag or what not). Regarding CK3, I'm definitely interested in seeing this mod being developed there at some point if the team has any interest in it. So far, I don't believe they've mentioned adding anything further beyond Europe, but then again, this is Paradox after all. I don't think many expected Rajas of India to expand into that region. From what I've seen, the mechanics seem promising so I have high hopes for CK3. Here's hoping they deliver, without following the Maxis model of removing features from previous "The Sims" to add later as DLC. Again, thank you very much for your work and I am looking forward to your next updates! I hope you, as well as your loved ones are doing okay in these troubling times.

Reactions:
Development Diary 38: The Warriors of the Rising Sun
Dev diary 38: The Warriors of the Rising Sun + misc. Japanese stuff

As I believe I've mentioned in the past, Japan is one of the two areas we're planning on adding some flavour for in the next update (the other area is China), and though there likely will be smaller bits added both in this update and later on it is time to go into some of the meatier things that are coming. Note that some of the things here are unfinished (or even missing...) and somewhat subject to change (though it is highly doubtful anything mentioned here will be removed outright unless it turns out to have major issues).

The Warriors of the Rising Sun:

The Warriors of the Rising Sun is the society that was teased earlier this week. It is partially based on HF's Warrior Lodges (though the event overlap is close to zero; you'll not be flyting or the like) and restricted to HF as a result.

It should be noted right away that this society isn't attempting to mirror any historical organization and instead is meant to provide some more things to do in Japan that should be reasonably fitting if not 100 % accurate, which generally is the CK2 standard for flavour. If you want something new to do in Japan, it will be there, but if you don't feel like using it there's no requirement to do so, and aside from perhaps getting involved in some wars or challenged to duels it shouldn't affect you too much (and might even be beneficial in that it will make other people a bit less likely to join the DWs or a SRS as they actually have another choice).

ck2_8.png

The society is available for feudal and tribal rulers that are Shinto, Japonic Buddhist, and currently also Ryukyuan (both reformed and unreformed; we might remove access for them once we get around to Ryukyuan flavour) plus possibly some event-spawned characters belonging to other religions, and you begrudgingly get to stick around if you convert to Taoist (it is a bit weird, but still Eastern), Hindu (they know how to fight and would probably be Kshatriyas), or any Christian religion (as there were Christian daimyos later on historically), even if this is penalized (as is being Ryukyuan, if to a lesser extent).

While some of the traits that are good for a Warrior Lodge are useful when it comes to gaining Honor (the society currency), the society is a bit different when it comes to some things, for example penalizing the Viking traits (unlikely to be relevant in most games), frowning upon being Left-Handed, and really not looking kindly on female members (they can exist, but they get hefty penalties to Honor gain and their member score). The society also only has one Rank 4 member, with the member score determining the successor, similar to e.g. various Devil Worshipper societies, and you also don't have to fight a duel to join.

Rank 1 (Novice) gives the following benefits:
+0.25 monthly prestige
- The Duel decision becomes available.
- Survivor. As in the case of a Warrior Lodge, you're a bit harder to kill on the battlefield.
- Lifetime of War. As in the case of a Warrior Lodge, you can get some more battlefield events (not all WL events are available, since some would be rather odd here).
- Access to the War of Honor CB. This CB can be used to fight rivals, anyone that has a Mark of Dishonor (more on this below), or any ruler that's within a certain relative power difference from you and that doesn't have sufficient Honor if in the WotRS. Winning gives you Honor and reduces the enemy's Honor (if they're in the WotRS), with the Honor gain being higher if you beat a rival. Unlike other CBs battle warscore caps at 200 % for either side, meaning that winning sieges might not be necessary, and neither side can call in allies. The CB can also not be used against anyone that already is at war, since that would be cowardly.
- Brothers in Arms. You can spend Honor (scaling based on how much higher their rank is than yours, with a 100 Honor cost at the same rank) to call in any landed WotRS member that is at peace and that isn't a subject/liege of your enemy or bound by a truce or NAP with that enemy. This cannot be used during a War of Honor.

Before you can move on to Rank 2 you will need to find a mentor who is willing to take you on and then prove yourself to that mentor (read: Get through an event chain), as well as amass 750 Honor. This should be the first mission you get as a new member, and it should hopefully not present too much of a challenge as you of course are a brave and honourable warrior even before joining, but depending on the prospective mentor and partially depending on who you are it might be a bit more difficult; for example, a member that's higher than Rank 2 is more likely to refuse, and if the mentor isn't a woman but you are it might be held against you.

Rank 2 (Samurai/Onna-bugeisha) gives the following benefits:
+0.5 monthly prestige
+1 Martial
+5 Personal Combat Skill
- Your liege can appoint you as a Commander even if you are female and that normally would be an issue. This is a Rank 1 WL power, but it is higher here because Japan is, again, not so egalitarian.
- Warrior Training. Gives you a special commander trait.
- Summon Lodge Commander. Gives you a new commander that joins the WotRS.
- Enlist Ronin. Gives you a stack of event troops. Can only be used when at war, only once per war, and these troops disband when you make peace.
- You may mentor Rank 1 members of the WotRS that don't have a mentor.

To get to Rank 3 you'll either need 2000 Honor or 1000 Honor plus two consecutive War of Honor victories (these can be gained both as the attacker and as the defender). There also needs to be an open spot, as there can only be seven Rank 3 members at once.

Rank 3 (Hatamoto) gives the following benefits:
+0.75 monthly prestige
+2 Martial
+10 PCS
- Inspire Warriors. As in the case of a WL, you can right-click a holding to refill the garrison in exchange for Honor.
- Indomitable. As in the case of the WL version you can no longer take lethal battlefield injuries. This is granted one rank earlier so that it actually is possible to get even if you're not deemed fit to lead the WotRS.
- Choose Military Aspect. Yet another Rank 4 WL ability that lets you pick up Strategist/Duelist/Hunter.
- Become Japanese Feudal. If the normal version costs too much prestige for your liking, you can use this and spend Honor instead.

Rank 4 (Master/Mistress) gives the following benefits:
+1 monthly prestige
+3 Martial
+15 PCS
- Lower rank members that are not independent and a higher rank than you, your rivals, any Regent, any liege of yours, the Tenno, or currently in a war against you are Obedient towards you (meaning that they in AI hands will accept most diplomatic interactions).
- You can give any member of the Warriors of the Rising Sun a Mark of Dishonor, making it possible for other members to declare Wars of Honor on them even if they normally wouldn't be able to. This will result in a rivalry with the target if you aren't already their rival.
- The ability to prepare a Rising Sun Subjugation and declare one when the preparations are complete. Taking this decision starts the "Legend" progress for the society and lets you and other members periodically spend Honor to increase the "Legend" progress (which only increases from Honor spent). Once the bar has been filled, you can spend 1000 Honor to declare a war on any independent ruler (that isn't the Tenno or the Tenno's liege) to subjugate any kingdom of theirs, dragging in every WotRS member that isn't a vassal of the target or blocked by a truce or NAP. This war counts as a holy war (meaning other realms can offer to join the defender), you cannot call in allies outside the WotRS (as that potentially could result in the main contributor not being part of the WotRS), and on victory the main contributor subjugates the target kingdom. Should you die the war immediately invalidates, and any progress towards a war that hasn't been declared is lost (so no murdering the previous Master and declaring the war for him).

As a less isolationist Japan might not be to everyone's tastes (I'm looking at Korea in particular right now, though depending on where the Master is located a few other areas might also care about this) there will be two game rules related to the WotRS, one restricting Wars of Honor to the same realm only and one governing whether the Rising Sun Subjugation CB and the related decision is available (Allowed/No AI/Disabled).

In addition to the powers above there will of course be some new flavour events involving other members of the society (some of them concerning mentor/student relationships (usually not that kind of relationship), some not), including a way to get a new bloodline.

Shinto/Japonic Buddhist Monastic Order:

One of these will be added (to an extent it is going to be copy-paste work, so I'm confident that it will be added even though the work hasn't begun at this moment) and be a close match to the vanilla ones, and Japonic Buddhists will not be permitted to join the normal Buddhist MO (as it is weirder for them to band up with Indians and the like). The main difference will likely be that it allows easier access to the Japanese Monastic Feudal government type (for Shinto rulers), that it will have some new pilgrimage choices in Japan (with Buddhists probably getting the option to go to a normal Buddhist pilgrimage site if they prefer that), and that it of course is open to two religions rather than just the one.

Regency Power changes + Chrysanthemum Throne Succession:

The Regent's power can now wax and wane a bit (as it historically did) without the Permanent Regency having to end, as there are (mechanically speaking) laws governing which powers the Regent can use. This means that getting a Regent isn't guaranteed to be particularly troublesome right away, but that a lasting Regency is likely to become a problem.

From the easiest to the hardest to achieve, these powers are 1) interfering in your liege's marriage (forcing him to marry a kinsman of yours and turning his current spouse into a consort, with some restrictions on the suitability of your spouse), 2) transferring lower tier vassals to the Regent's direct control, 3) releasing prisoners held by the Regent's liege, 4) appropriating part of the liege's treasury for the good of the reg... realm!, 5) executing the liege's prisoners (cannot be used against the liege's dynasty, and the Regent gets all applicable penalties, e.g. Kinslayer traits), 6) appropriating lesser titles held by the liege, and finally 7) meddling in the liege's succession (only available if the liege is the Tenno); more on this below. The AI Regent will only release prisoners that belong to its dynasty, and will only consider executing its rivals (and will be less likely to execute its dynasty members if it isn't already a Kinslayer), while the player has more freedom. These interactions all cost prestige, and aside from releasing and executing prisoners there are cooldowns in place.

Currently, becoming the Regent by asking nicely grants the first two powers, becoming the Regent through a plot, an ultimatum, or a faction war grants four, and failing to overthrow the Regent grants the Regent two extra powers. Both the Tenno and the Regent can spend prestige (currently 1000) to grant or revoke one power (you do not get to choose the order), with a cooldown in place to prevent either side from very rapidly moving in their preferred direction.

ck2_10.png

The Tenno now uses a custom Tanistry-based succession law, which puts a lot of emphasis on things like being the child of a wife rather than a consort (which in turn is preferred over being a legitimized bastard), being a close relative of the current holder (preferably a descendant rather than a sibling), being married to the elector's dynasty, having a mother from the elector's dynasty, being an Amaterasu Descendant (unless something weird has happened this should always be the case for everyone eligible, but the check is there in case the Imperial Family dies out or something), and (barring Full Status of Women or a feminist culture) not being a woman (and the Tenno will be starting with Agnatic, which you can't swap out of during a Permanent Regency). The Regent also has a preference for a candidate that's less likely to have ideas like "I don't want to be a figurehead!", and thus prefers a younger candidate, a candidate with less piety/prestige, a candidate that doesn't have very high stats (particularly not Diplomacy or Intrigue), and a non-Ambitious candidate.

If the Regent isn't allowed to meddle in the succession, the only elector is the Tenno, while the Regent gets to be an elector if meddling is allowed. By default the Tenno wins even if the Regent can meddle (unless he has a regent for a reason such as being a child or being Incapable) since ties are resolved in the holder's favour, but if the Regent is allowed to meddle he can spend prestige to boost his candidate's score, which the Tenno can counter in the same manner, with both parties upsetting the other party and the candidate that suddenly isn't the winner any longer.

As far as the historical setup goes at the moment, two powers will be enacted in 867, four in 936, and all seven in 1066. Post-1066, the Regent's power will decrease a bit since Fujiwara Norimichi and later regents lost quite a bit of the Regent's influence and certain powerful warriors (e.g. Taira Kiyomori) started to wield quite a bit of influence even before there was a Shogun.

Grant Minamoto surname + the Hachimantaro bloodline:

Assuming the Imperial Family holds the Chrysanthemum Throne (which should be the case unless they go extinct as far as Shinto men (and women, if you pass certain laws) go, which probably won't happen unless the Black Death wipes them out or something) the Tenno has the ability to permanently disinherit any member of the Imperial Family and their (male line, barring matrilineal marriages) descendants by granting them the Minamoto surname (changing their dynasty) in exchange for prestige. The AI will never do this as we don't want the Imperial Family to go extinct simply because the AI wonders what happens if it presses the button, but as the player you can use this power on pretty much anyone who isn't your ancestor or your current heir (which rules out disinheriting the Regent's preferred heir if that heir is currently the frontrunner).

There's also a new bloodline in Japan (well, there are two, but one of them is a non-generic shogunate bloodline granted once the Kamakura Shogunate has been created, which is well after Stamford Bridge...), founded by a certain someone with a unique nickname.

ck2_12.png

This bloodline (which might get nerfed a bit since it currently has quite a few benefits) gives a middling PCS boost, Great Warriors (with HF), easier access to Japanese Feudal (by significantly cutting the prestige cost if there isn't a Regent), and easier access to Shogunates; Minamoto Yoshiie happens to be the ancestor of Minamoto Yoritomo, Minamoto Yoshinaka, Ashikaga Takauji, Nitta Yoshisada, and (well outside CK2's timeframe) supposedly Tokugawa Ieyasu, with three of them (Yoritomo, Takauji, and Ieyasu) founding Shogunates and two of them (Yoshinaka and Yoshisada) conceivably having done so if certain events had turned out in their favour.

That would be everything for now. With the plans for the immediate future mainly having to do with the history file update (progress is being made, but there are many characters that need to be added or changed) and finishing up/getting around to some of the things above, the usual bit regarding infrequent dev diaries applies, possibly excepting fillers.

• 3Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
So, so happy with this. That entire dev diary had me grinning.

• 1Like
Reactions: