• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
quick question here from an old player but new poster...

i love the mod and was wondering if it is possible for me to use this with the umbra spherae redone mod? i ask cause it also adds in the east coast as well as some of the west coast of the Americas.

i was wondering if you and they used the same province setup so that i could [ossibly just drop your mod into that one :)
i lvoe your mod like i said, it is a hard decision for me cause i love more room on the map too haha.

Anything related to the map or the title history would be more-or-less unusable, and a lot of things are related to that. Other things might work if you did a bunch of compatibility work (I can't tell you exactly what you'd need to do I'm not overly familiar with US, but a lot of things we've done would probably not be trivial to make compatible). We'd not mind if you did that compatibility work for your own use, but if you intend to post it somewhere you'd need to check with both us and US (unless they've given blanket permission to do something) before you do that as there might be things we don't want to share or can't share because we got them from someone else that didn't tell us we could share them further.

Development Diary 33: Odds and Ends
Dev Diary 33 - Odds and ends

Work on the next version continues, and though there's nothing big to reveal there are a few things to share.

Historical setup:

As shown in some screenshots in previous posts there are going to be a bunch of new historical rulers in China. The work isn't done yet (particularly not when you account for cleanup of placeholders that might end up being unnecessary), but I'd estimate that somewhere around half of de jure China will be held by historical rulers (though some will be getting their titles a year or two early to make sure that there's a holder during the start dates) during the 769 and 867 start dates, though as some vassals currently start well above their demesne limits we might add some fictional sub-vassals.

936 hasn't yet been worked on to any meaningful extent, but a first pass of that start date will probably be done once the first pass when it comes to historical Tang rulers is done. You can expect a dev diary showing the setup when the first pass has been done, but I can't tell you how soon that'll be ready.

It is too early to tell what the setup in 1066 or later will be like, though chances are we'll at least break up current placeholder vassals a bit to prevent the "Vassals quickly create extra duchies and kingdoms, breaking the viceroyalty system" issue. Chances are the next version also will be very WIP in China post-1066 since -- as previously mentioned -- the main focus when it comes to start dates is to get the four earliest ones ready as most people are interested in those.

Non-Han characters have not been worked on to any meaningful extent since the last dev diary, so there's still a lot of work to be done outside China too.

Shenist mourning:

Reformed and unreformed Shenists have been given a small event chain surrounding mourning deceased ancestors (for performance reasons, only playable Shenists will mourn), which has some synergy with Ancestor Veneration (even if that Doctrine isn't "Chinese enough" for the purposes of getting Chinese Imperial/Confucian Bureaucracy). While mourning of ancestors wasn't unique to Shenists when it comes to China, restricting this flavour to Shenists helps make the religion different from the Taoist religion (which currently hasn't gotten anything new that's unique to them, but that'll hopefully change), and we don't want religions to overlap too much as that means there's no real reason to consider switching between them unless you're planning to do a weird reform.

Also, we're aware that veneration of ancestors was important in other places (e.g. Vietnam), but the current flavour is rather Chinese and those other places aren't current focus regions (aside from the history files we're mainly working on China and Japan at the moment, as we'd rather get a couple of areas "done" or close to "done" than have WIP stuff everywhere), which is why there's not currently something similar in other places. Rest assured that we know that there are other areas and other religions that need more flavour down the line.

Holy sites + a new historical Great Work:

In the interests of giving rulers further east the ability to impact a couple of relevant vanilla religions two holy sites have been moved. The Hindu holy site formerly in Mathura is now located in Angkor (Angkor Wat), and the Buddhist holy site formerly in Lumbini is now in Pajang (Borobudur). It is possible that we'll revert these changes or that we'll pick another vanilla holy site to move instead based on how things play and feedback.

The Buddhist temple of Borobudur has also been added as a Great Work. It gets started in 750, finishes construction in 825, and is damaged post-1006. Functionally it is the same as a normal Buddhist Great Temple, though it is a bit cheaper to build the stages (which is common for historical Great Works in vanilla).

ck2_13.png

New cultures:

A number of new cultures have been added in Nusantara and the Pacific Rim. These are Cebuan, Banjar, Bugi, Balinese, Sundanese, Batak, and Samudran. The exact provincial setup for these cultures and other cultures in the area is still WIP, and characters have not yet been updated to account for the changes. They're all Seafarers (meaning they'll prefer raiding overseas if they're able to raid, which isn't a cultural feature for any of them) at the moment, though it is possible that that might change for some of them.

ck2_11.png

Dynasties:

Several cultures that previously lacked dynasty names have gotten at least a few. We still need dynasties for the Min and She cultures, however, and the new cultures that have been added and other Chinese cultures (excluding Han) could definitely use some more as well.

Bugfixing:

A number of small compatibility issues have been fixed, such as some scripted_triggers not checking for some new opinion modifiers and some Equality checks not checking for our Ryukyuan Doctrines. Some other things have also been fixed, such as a couple of positions errors.

Other stuff:

- Work has been done on a new feature not mentioned above. It is not currently something that's dev diary ready as it will require more testing before we know if it is something we want to keep (and we'd rather not tell you we've added something that we end up taking out if we can avoid it), but hopefully it is something that works and that you get to hear more about as a result. There are also a couple of new bloodlines (one of them is historical, the other generic) tied to this, which will be added if the feature is added. I'll not be confirming or denying anything about this feature (at least not directly; if you ask a broad question like "Are you adding more start dates?" (NO!) that I answer it might rule out some things) until the dev diary in question is posted (assuming the feature turns out to work well enough that we get to that point).

- A number of Tianxia religions that previously were blocked from Agnatic-Cognatic have lost that blocker, and a few titles have become Agnatic-Cognatic rather than strictly Agnatic due to actually being inherited by a woman at some point. An Agnatic Clans reform will of course still prevent it for religions where that is relevant. Cognatic succession has also been made available to a couple of cultures (Qiang and Nakhi) that previously didn't have access to it.

- The Mandate of Heaven level of the Emperor of China -- if there is one and he uses the MoH -- will now impact trade value along the Silk Road. Higher Mandate is better for trade, lower is worse. If you rely on that trade you might not want to weaken China unless you have a good reason to do so.

Having recently put my grandson on the throne of offmap China, and being disappointed*, I am anxiously waiting for an opportunity to play with East Asia on map. None shall question that my rule is mandated by the Heaven.

*Kowtow? If anything that China should be MY tributary.

Very happy to hear about the new cultures and flavour being added to Nusantara. Always thought it was a shame mods like Umbra Spherae skipped over it, considering the relevance of places like Borobodur and Prambanan Temple. You guys are brilliant! Keep up the amazing work :)

They are mutally exclusive, using different maps, cultures and religions. You'll have to pick one or the other to play.
thank you.

also Silversweeper thank you and just barely finished haha. that took a hot minute. I have gotten them both to work with one another, it just took a lot of bruntwork and rewriting of some code.

I would never ever post a modification to someone elses mod without their consent...to be fair though i would not do it with their consent either haha.

i have never posted a mod before even though been playing this since one came out back in the winter of 2004. mainly cause i have no original work.

Last edited:
Personally, I would go with Tianxia over Umbra Sperae any day of the week, because its features are just so much more indepth, well thought out and executed. Not to mention that it's less buggy. But it's impressive that you got them to work side-by-side, I wouldn't have thought that was even possible without maaany bugs.

There will hopefully (assuming some things get done, which currently seems likely) be a dev diary before the weekend is over. I suspect the screenshot below will be more than sufficient when it comes to revealing the topic.

ck2_14.png

The next dev diary will probably be tomorrow. Here's another teaser.

ck2_15.png

How many of these emperor titles will be titular or de-jure?

How many of these emperor titles will be titular or de-jure?

All the emperors -- (Later) Tang, (Later) Jin, (Later) Shu, Wu/(Southern) Tang, (Southern) Han, and Min (plus Liao, if they settle; they're otherwise a titular nomad "emperor") -- have titular empires. All of them claim to be the rightful ruler of all of China (and count as pretender emperors, with all that entails), which of course isn't possible to represent at the same time, and we don't want any of them to have more of a "right" to any of it than any others unless they actually get to the point where they can create China (you need to control 150 counties in the de jure/the China region to take the decision so all of them need to work for it quite a bit).

Wuyue and Chu are de jure kingdoms (Liangzhe and Jinghunan, respectively; they've got different names and CoAs in the IC start), and Jingnan/Nanping (Jiangling) is a de jure duchy. Annam and Da Yining (Dali) are of course kingdoms, and everything else with land in de jure China except for a few provinces in the top left corner in the screenshot is just a mess of one/two-county realms created due to there not being any rulers added yet (many of these have been cleaned up already).

Development Diary 34: Interesting Times
Dev Diary 34 - Interesting Times

Enough work got done early that it was possible to create the dev diary a day early, so here it is.

As shown a couple of times in the past the current release version has a roughly de jure China-shaped hole in it in the Iron Century start as the existing title history for the area mainly comes from well before Iron Century was in the game.

China_Tibet_Dali_Taiwan_Ryukyu_936.png

As of the next version, this will no longer be the case.

ck2_17.png

Note that some things in this dev diary still are a work in progress; for example, there are a number of one-county realms around that will be merged into proper placeholder realms later on. However, feel free to point out any border issues you see except for Jin having a lot of land that probably would have been under Tang; they have that land in order to ensure that some historical subjects are playable.

Unless otherwise noted all characters mentioned here are Han and Taoist. Since there are a lot of characters mentioned here and the most interesting ones were covered in Dev Diary 31 Wikipedia links have been provided (where possible) in lieu on descriptions.

ck2_18.png

(Later) Tang:

Starting ruler: Li Congke, Buddhist
Starting Mandate: Poor (due to being in an ongoing civil war they're supposed to lose)
Starting wars (to be added): Defending against (Later) Jin and Liao in a war that'll result in the empire being taken over by Jin if they lose.
Starting claims: N/A
Starting tributaries: N/A
Starting event troops: N/A
Playable historical characters set as vassals of Later Tang:
- Li Congyan, the son of Li Maozen
- An Congjin
- Zhao Yanshou
- Fan Yanguang
- Wang Jianli
- Fang Zhiwen
- Gao Xingzhou
- Liu Yanhao
- Zhao Hongyin, father of Zhao Kuangyin (Taizu of Song)
- Zhao Dejun
- Zhang Jingda
- Yang Guangyan (under Zhang Jingda)

Given that you start in a war that you're expected to lose (as that's the historical outcome we'll be balancing things around) this start will probably be challenging if you actually want to avoid losing the war, and having a Poor Mandate means councillors can join certain factions, so there's also that to consider.

(Later) Jin:

Starting ruler: Shi Jingtang (Gaozu)
Starting Mandate: Good (due to being a new dynasty that's supposed to win the ongoing war)
Starting wars (to be added): Attacking (Later) Tang alongside Liao in a war that'll result in a takeover of Tang if they win (plus likely the ceding of the Sixteen Prefectures; there'll be an option to renege, but you might not want to take it because bad stuff happens...)
Starting claims: Has claims on the counties of Luoyang, Bianjing (Kaifeng), and Chang'an to make sure that they can revoke them if they win the war (as two are historical Jin capitals and the third is too important for them to ignore)
Starting event troops: 16k; subject to balance (they need quite a few to ensure that they almost always beat Tang). Liao has an additional 8k at present, so we'll likely not need to go too much higher.
Playable historical characters set as vassals of Later Jin:
- Liu Zhiyuan (Gaozu of Later Han)
- Guo Wei (Taizu of Later Zhou)
- Li Shouzhen
- Sang Weihan

Assuming you win your war this is probably a fairly easy start. However, if you lose too many event troops and Liao decide to settle (or if you decide to... alter a certain deal and they don't appreciate it) there might be trouble down the line.

ck2_19.png

(Later) Shu:

Starting ruler: Meng Chang
Starting Mandate: Average (rather small realm on its second ruler)
Starting wars: N/A
Starting tributaries: Peng Shichou (Shenist Tujia ruler; has two counties next to Chu and Jingnan)
Playable historical characters set as vassals of Later Shu:
- Zhang Ye
- Zhang Gongduo
- Zhao Tingyin
- Wang Chuhui
- Li Yanhou

It is likely that what happens in the north will greatly affect your chances of doing well. If a strong Tang or Jin emerges, expect trouble. If there's ongoing chaos (say because Tang wins the war and then get issues due to their Poor Mandate) you can probably thrive as the other strong pretenders will have to work to get close to you before they can attack you.

Jingnan/Nanping (Jiangling in-game):

Starting ruler: Gao Conghui
Starting Mandate: N/A
Playable historical characters set as vassals of Jingnan: N/A (has no vassals)

Given that you don't start with any CBs (except for tributary wars, if those are active) and are rather weak, this will be a very challenging start unless you find a strong liege. The strongest possible liege is probably a victorious Jin, but you might not have the luxury to wait for their war to finish as Wu and Shu might come for you before then, so your options will probably be the weaker Shu and the unstable Wu.

Chu:

Starting ruler: Ma Xifan
Starting wars (to be added): Defending against the Southern Han general Sun Dewei in a war over d_guizhou and c_liuzhou
Playable historical characters set as vassals of Chu:
- Ma Xigao
- Ma Xi'e
- Yao Yanzhang

If Han or Wu attack you, you probably won't be able to beat them, so either you'll need to hope that both fall apart or you'll need to pledge yourself to either of them and hope for the best if the other comes for you.

ck2_20.png

(Southern) Han:

Starting ruler: Liu Yan (Gaozu)
Starting Mandate: Average (has previously lost Annam, which is inauspicious)
Starting claims: Weak claim on Annam; a civil war there is not entirely unlikely due to certain factors...
Playable historical characters set as vassals of Han:
- Sun Dewei (will start attacking Chu in a war he'll probably lose)
- Wang Dingbao
- Liang Kezhen

Likely the strongest start after Jin (and things can go poorly for them, as previously mentioned). You're likely in a position to knock out Min early and might be able to take land from an infighting Wu or Chu, and if Annam gets a civil war you can use your claim on them for even more land (if with wrong culture vassals).

ck2_21.png

Min:

Starting ruler: Wang Chang (Kangzong), Buddhist
Starting Mandate: Average (rather small realm on its second ruler)
- Wang Yanzheng (Tiande), Buddhist
- Liu Congxiao

This will probably be a rather hard start. You don't have the numbers to attack any of your neighbours, and you can't swear fealty due to being an emperor.

Wuyue:

Starting ruler: Qian Yuanguan
Starting wars (to be added): N/A
Playable historical characters set as vassals of Wuyue:
- Cao (Z)Hongda

You can probably fight off Min if you need to (and one of your brothers has a wife with a weak inheritable claim on them, so that might be something you can make use of...), but Wu is another matter. Maybe swearing fealty to someone would be wise, but your only options are Wu (which might implode) and Min (which probably wouldn't be able to defend you very well against the others).

Wu:

Starting ruler: Yang Pu (Rui)
Starting Mandate: Poor (Yang Pu is reluctant to rule, and Xu Zhigao/Li Bian is scheming to take over)
- Xu Zhigao/Li Bian (Liezu of (Southern) Tang); starts with a weak claim on the empire
- Zhou Ben
- Zhou Zong
- Li Decheng
- Wang Lingmou

You'll probably see a faction form against you very quickly as Xu Zhigao has a claim AND could go for a takeover faction (and some other vassals are friends with him, so they'll probably support him). Given that he has roughly as many troops as you have when you count contributions from vassals (including him) any war is likely to be extremely difficult (and you can't tyrannically imprison him, as you're Chinese Imperial), and as he has a lot of Intrigue (usually somewhere around 20) you're unlikely to be able to assassinate him. Expect a challenge unless you're prepared to cede your throne (as historically happened).

Other than the realms mentioned above we've also added Tuoba (Li) Yixing (Taoist Tangut) in Dingnan (shown as Minyak because vanilla has him landed there (likely as a placeholder)) and expanded the Gansu Uyghur kingdom (Yugur) so that it actually contains Gansu (and other things).

If you have any suggestions for other interesting characters that could be added as vassals (ideally somewhere they actually ruled, but that's not strictly necessary) in this start date we'd like to hear about it. (Later) Tang and (Southern) Han in particular start well above the demesne limit, so more characters there would definitely be good, and we're open to adding more characters elsewhere unless we need to unland someone more important (e.g. future emperors). We're also interested in historical rulers for the provinces between Da Yining/Shu/Chu, as well as those between Tang and Goryeo (which will be one or more tributaries under Liao unless we discover something unexpected).

Also, while not relevant to the IC start date, we've added specific starting Mandate levels for the 769, 876, and 1066 emperors of China (Average, Average, and Good, respectively).

It is fairly likely that most of the work being done in the near future (aside from adding wars and a few minor things in the IC start) will be further work on the history files, in which case there will probably not be a detailed dev diary for a while as that work usually doesn't result in anything that's interesting to show off until a bunch of stuff has changed.

Since it wasn't ready to be shown off in the dev diary here's how the Sixteen Prefectures situation currently is planned to be handled (things might change during testing):

If Jin wins their initial war against Tang (which is the expected historical outcome) Jin gets an event about ceding the relevant provinces to Liao. Accepting (which the AI generally will do if Shi Jingtang is the ruler and he hasn't picked up e.g. Deceitful) makes the vassals and sub-vassals holding the provinces in question into Liao tributaries (assuming they don't hold land elsewhere; if that's the case a randomly generated character gets the land to be ceded and becomes a tributary instead) and turns any of the provinces that you happen to hold in the area into tributaries under new random characters and gives Liao the option to either agree to a ten-year NAP or take a large prestige and piety hit (they'll normally accept the NAP if Deguang is the ruler if AI-controlled).

If Jin refuses to cede the Sixteen Prefectures they take a prestige and piety hit and Liao gets three options: Accept what just happened (costs some prestige), declare war for the Sixteen Prefectures (gives them a bunch of event troops and claims on the relevant provinces, starting a "Claim All" war), or declare war for ALL of Jin's land (costs some prestige and piety, gives them a bunch of event troops, and declares a war that'll result in the subjugation of Jin if they win). The last option (which AI Liao probably will go for unless they pick up e.g. Content) gives all independent rulers in China (that aren't Liao tributaries) the opportunity to join Jin's side (other would-be emperors of China are very unlikely to do this, and there are some other things that might make people reluctant to join, so it'll probably not be an "All of China vs. Liao" war), which isn't the case if you picked either of the other options, making this a risky choice that can have a big payoff (particularly if you follow it up with settling and officially becoming a pretender) and thus hopefully making the choice to wage war for less land somewhat appealing as you'd face less opposition.

If Tang wins then Liao gets an event giving them the opportunity to offer Tang a ten-year NAP in exchange for the Sixteen Prefectures, with a refusal to take this opportunity costing a little prestige. If this is accepted (which is somewhat unlikely if Tang is AI-controlled) it is handled as if Jin had agreed aside from Liao not getting to turn down the NAP. If it is refused Liao can get claims on the Sixteen Prefectures in exchange for a bunch of prestige and piety, or just lose a small amount of prestige (there's no option that gives you event troops and an instant war here, as that would mean that sabotaging Jin's war is as good for a player Liao as fighting it with the intention of winning). In other words, while this might go well for Liao it is likely to be worse than what they'd get from Jin winning.

The option to cede the Sixteen Prefectures will hurt your Mandate a bit regardless of whether you're Tang or Jin as you're giving rightful Chinese land to a barbarian realm, but Tang won't take any Mandate penalty if they refuse the deal while Jin takes a very big penalty to it if they renege on their deal. In other words, if you're Jin you'll probably not want to keep the Sixteen Prefectures even if you think that Liao wouldn't declare war on you while Tang probably wants to do that unless they really want to get an NAP.

If I were to convert this using the ck2 to eu4 converter what would happen?

As we've not updated the EU4 Converter at all I would guess that the current best-case outcome is that it'd convert everything on the vanilla map more-or-less properly (assuming there's nothing there that's non-vanilla, e.g. a realm following a Tianxia religion) and that everything else would be as in vanilla EU4 (with the exception of the New World if Sunset Invasion is active as you'd get special stuff in that case).

We plan to update it eventually, but for now stuff that'll actually affect gameplay during CK2 (and outside custom starts) is considered more important.

Development Diary 35: Holy Orders
Dev Diary 35 - Holy Orders

Once the next version is out there'll be holy orders for various Tianxia religions that were missing them.

Changes to vanilla holy orders:

There have been a few of minor changes to vanilla holy orders.

The first is that Ashoka's Chosen will no longer be possible to hire by Chinese Buddhists or Japonic Buddhists if their orders exist (see below). This is both because it's rather silly for an India-based holy order to be running around in Japan or China and because holy order stacking can be an issue (and isn't really appropriate for rulers that'd not care about religion, which would be the case for the rulers in question).

The second is that the list of counties that can trigger vanilla's Dharmic order spawning has been expanded. In addition to the vanilla counties on the list the counties of Pajang (Borobudur), Palembang, Angkor, Haripunchai, Vijaya, Indrapura, Bagan, Dai La, and Pegu are now part of the "Five of these counties have fallen to non-Dharmics" check. Given that only Dai La is going to be "lost" in any start (unless I misremember something) this is unlikely to result in the Dharmic holy orders spawning extremely early, but it will mean that if SEAsia falls people in India will no longer shrug and go "Not our problem!".

The third, which also affects relevant Tianxia holy orders, is that no holy order will attempt to build a castle in territory controlled by a Chinese Imperial or Japanese Imperial realm or a realm with a Japanese Imperial vassal as neither China nor Japan would be likely to permit a random vassal to give away their land to a foreigner and both of them likely would be strong enough to immediately de jure war such holdings (which would result in some undesirable AI behaviour). This is unlikely to have a major impact on the game as most of the religions in question are rather far away from the realms that'd consider their territory off-limits.

Historical holy orders:

There are two historical orders that'll be around: The Shaolin Monks (Chinese Buddhists only) and the Sohei (Japonic Buddhists only).

ck2_23.png

(Ignore the odd borders; the history files are still under construction in the area and things are weird as a result)

The Shaolin Monks are always around, as the order was founded all the way back in 464. They'll start out as vassals of the top liege of Zhengzhou in all starts (Tang in 769 and 867, Later Tang in 936, and Song in 1066). The temple of Dengfeng is always a vassal of theirs, as that's where the Shaolin monastery is located. As in the case of vanilla's Dharmic orders they don't have any special mechanics.

ck2_22.png

The Sohei are around after 949 as vassals of Japan. It is possible to found early them by decision if you are a Japonic Buddhist that's independent or king-tier, has 1000 piety, and completely controls Yamato and Omi, or by a Japonic Buddhist independent or king-tier ruler with 200 piety after year 1000. They can also spawn dynamically if there's at least one Japonic Buddhist province in Japan (there are some weights to make them likely to spawn roughly at the historical time). They have three relevant temples as vassals (the fourth temple associated with them, Mii-dera, doesn't exist as a holding), which they will attempt to gain control of when created; they'll usurp or claim them (depending on whether the creator controls them or not) if created by decision (and will also become vassals of e_japan if you hold it) and will claim them and petition a holder of e_japan for them (if he controls at least one of the relevant counties) in exchange for vassalization if created dynamically, and they will also convert the provinces in question to Buddhist if they get a holding there as part of their founding. As in the case of vanilla's Dharmic holy orders they don't have any special mechanics and their creation isn't dependent on a DLC.

Non-pagan holy orders:

The Taoist religion now has a possible holy order: The Sons of the Dragon (name subject to change). They can be founded by an independent or king-tier Taoist ruler that controls all the Taoist holy sites and has 1000 piety (before 1100) or by an independent or king-tier Taoist ruler with 200 piety (after 1100). They can also spawn dynamically if at least five of Jiuquan, Dali, Dai La, Hanseong, Gyeongju, Luoyang, Guizhou, Guangzhou, Fuzhou, Hangzhou, Qingzhou, Bianjing, Jiangling, Hongcheng, Kuizhou, Chengdu, Tianshui, Chang'an, Dadu, and Liaoyang are controlled by a ruler that's not following a "Chinese enough" religion. As in the case of vanilla's Dharmic holy orders there are no special mechanics for them and their creation isn't dependent on a DLC.

The Shinto religion has access to the Bushido Brotherhood (name subject to change). They can be founded by an independent or king-tier Shinto ruler that controls all Shinto holy sites and has 1000 piety or by an independent or king-tier Shinto ruler with 200 piety after year 1100. They'll dynamically spawn if any province in Japan is controlled by a ruler that's not Shinto or a Japonic Buddhist after year 850 (given that Japan controls the whole area in all starts except 769 this is likely to mean that someone is threatening the Shinto religion). As in the case of vanilla's Dharmic holy orders there are no special mechanics for them and their creation isn't dependent on a DLC.

Pagan holy orders:

All reformed pagans will have access to holy orders with SoA (which the DLC vanilla uses for most pagan holy orders; as we're copying mechanics from vanilla a DLC-lock is therefore necessary). They all form dynamically after the relevant reformation and have access to donations, expelling, events where courtiers ask to join, and the occasional castle construction request, much like vanilla's pagan holy orders. Their names (all subject to change) are the Chosen of Heaven (Shenist), the Children of the Morning Calm (Muist), the Bear Guard (Ainu), the Conquerors (Ryukyuan), Pakhangba's Faithful (Sanamahi), the Servants of the Ancestors (Thanist), the Warriors of the Waves (Melanesian), and the Headhunters (Kaharingan).

one thing I just realized missing from this amazing mod is widow chastity for eastern women.

also, i tried jacex's romance of three kingdoms mod recently and there's a rather nifty mechanic where your heir can only succeed if they pass the imperial exam nomination. and even if they do, they would be assigned to a new post. perhaps something to consider. for that matter, would it be possible to copy the catholic bishop mechanic for a feudal-like government? you have to nominate your heir basically.

one thing I just realized missing from this amazing mod is widow chastity for eastern women.

Not sure that's something we'll consider, as it'll complicate gameplay if you end up playing as a female ruler or get a female heir.

also, i tried jacex's romance of three kingdoms mod recently and there's a rather nifty mechanic where your heir can only succeed if they pass the imperial exam nomination. and even if they do, they would be assigned to a new post. perhaps something to consider.

Adding more ways to get a game over is unlikely to be a good idea, so making succession contingent on passing the examinations (which we haven't added a mechanic for yet, so that'd not be trivial to do) seems like it would create issues if someone had an underage heir, an heir that wasn't stellar and that failed the examinations as a result, or an heir that for some reason was in a foreign realm and never got to take the examinations. As for giving people a new post, that assumes that there is a new post, which isn't certain to be the case, and also makes consolidating power even more difficult in realms that already are vassal-unfriendly.

for that matter, would it be possible to copy the catholic bishop mechanic for a feudal-like government? you have to nominate your heir basically.

The regular bishopric succession isn't moddable and isn't supposed to be playable, so I doubt it can be used. It might be possible to do something with custom elective laws, but we'd then have to invent it from scratch, we'd have to figure out how it should be applied and under which circumstances it should be possible to get out of it (as it neither should be trivial nor impossible), and we'd have to figure out how to keep it from causing a game over on a frequent basis and how to keep it from making realms ludicrously stable because there's no way for vassals to consolidate power.

Not sure that's something we'll consider, as it'll complicate gameplay if you end up playing as a female ruler or get a female heir.
powerful women, such as princesses, did often get to remarry. so if we hypothetically make a widowed trait or something, it wouldnt be too immersion breaking to assign it to only landless and non-heir women. it is, i feel, quite immersion breaking, however, to see consorts and even empresses remarrying, which would be absolutely beyond the pale.

The regular bishopric succession isn't moddable and isn't supposed to be playable, so I doubt it can be used. It might be possible to do something with custom elective laws, but we'd then have to invent it from scratch, we'd have to figure out how it should be applied and under which circumstances it should be possible to get out of it (as it neither should be trivial nor impossible), and we'd have to figure out how to keep it from causing a game over on a frequent basis and how to keep it from making realms ludicrously stable because there's no way for vassals to consolidate power.
I tried to create an elective government before. the problem is that the succession system ignored all of the dynastic mechanics. the family of the previous ruler became the courtiers of the new one and got assigned either subpar marriages or no marriage at all. i wonder if there's a way to fix this. maybe if we count counties as private estates that are inheritable, and duchies and above as elective government posts. that way, if a family no longer control a government post, they still have their county to fall back on. not sure what this means for claims though.

as for the realm being too stable, id say that would be more accurate since the main problem facing most bureaucratic rulers wasnt so much constant regional instability but rather having one employee getting too powerful. to offset realm stability, maybe severely reduce the number of vassal limit and the set the number of holding to 1, forcing the emperor to consolidate the realm. as a vassal, the key thing in elective succession is to get along with the other people. if you play the game well enough, the chance of social mobility is actually even higher than in feudal succession.