• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Both of the files refuse to load for me. Unsure if it is broken on my end or not (though other files appear to work as expected), but you might need to re-upload them. Also, assuming you've only edited basically the same files as in the past (a landed_titles file and coats_of_arms.txt), I'm prepared to say you don't need to password-protect them.
Something is up with attachments, maybe forum maintenance or something. I'll try again later today.

Regarding the Japanese CoAs you mentioned a while back, we're interested in "Kanji + colour"-style CoAs for duchies (and, if we end up splitting k_japan in the future, kingdoms) and baronies if you feel like making those (if so, the barony CoA should be assigned to the Buddhist religion, as the Shinto religion is intended to use dynastic CoAs). For the counties, we're planning to go with a mon instead of the other approach, which is a bit more work. If you want to help with those (you're obviously free to decline), I can provide you with a reference picture for each county by PM.
The dutchy/baronies I'll definitely do. The mon I can think about and toy with, but no promises.

Also, if you want to help out with it, various titles in de jure Balhae could use new CoAs. While the region was ruled by several different cultures and religions during the era, I'd say we'd prefer the Korean (i.e. default) name over other names, and that we'd prefer for the barony CoAs to be assigned to the Buddhist religion since the rulers of Balhae were Buddhists.
Yeah I can do that too.

Last edited:
I got Japan's Empire/Kingdom/Duchies/Baronies finished.
I also finished the county-mon - "mon overview.xlsx" gives an overview of how that went. I used kanji as a fallback in 3 difficult cases, for everything else either I found a public domain version of the mon (applying some healthy skepticism), the design of the mon was in public domain because it's too simple, or I made my own.
And I did Balhae's kingdom/duchy/county/barony stuff as well.

Tianxia - Coa and Flags.zip contains everything including china, korea, etc.
landed_titles and coats_of_arms.txt have been updated so it's taoism for china and buddhism for everyone else.

Attachments

• Tianxia - COA and Flags.zip
    3,8 MB · Views: 53
  • mon overview.xlsx
    16,3 KB · Views: 26
Hey, Could I use some localisation text for my mod?

If you're not going to post the mod publicly, go right ahead. We can't really prevent a personal mod from reusing our stuff, regardless of whether we want to or not.

If you're going to post the mod publicly, you've got to narrow down the request quite a bit before it is possible to answer the question (and I might still need to pass it on to LumberKing, depending on what you're asking for). We've added thousands of lines of localization, so "some" is too vague.

I got Japan's Empire/Kingdom/Duchies/Baronies finished.
I also finished the county-mon - "mon overview.xlsx" gives an overview of how that went. I used kanji as a fallback in 3 difficult cases, for everything else either I found a public domain version of the mon (applying some healthy skepticism), the design of the mon was in public domain because it's too simple, or I made my own.
And I did Balhae's kingdom/duchy/county/barony stuff as well.

Tianxia - Coa and Flags.zip contains everything including china, korea, etc.
landed_titles and coats_of_arms.txt have been updated so it's taoism for china and buddhism for everyone else.

That was fast! Assuming things check out on our end (which I expect), the CoAs will probably be in the next public version and you'll get credited as a contributor around that time.

I have to say that some chinese character in mod use as region coat is wrong.For example,the duchy Jingji 经济(mean Economic)should be 京畿(mean Captial),duchy Huainanxi 淮南子(a book write by Liu An,Prince Huainan in Han dynasty) should be 淮南西(West Huainan),Liangzhe 亮哲 should be 两浙(Two zhejiang,in fact a province in Song dynasty)

That was fast! Assuming things check out on our end (which I expect), the CoAs will probably be in the next public version and you'll get credited as a contributor around that time.
I look forward to it!

I have to say that some chinese character in mod use as region coat is wrong.
Just to be clear, you're talking about the existing COAs, right? Because I have Jingji corrected to
京畿, Huainanxi to 淮南西, etc.

I have to say that some chinese character in mod use as region coat is wrong.For example,the duchy Jingji 经济(mean Economic)should be 京畿(mean Captial),duchy Huainanxi 淮南子(a book write by Liu An,Prince Huainan in Han dynasty) should be 淮南西(West Huainan),Liangzhe 亮哲 should be 两浙(Two zhejiang,in fact a province in Song dynasty)

We're aware that they're wrong (I can't say why, as the current CoAs have existed for longer than I've been on the team). It should be fixed in the next version (no idea when we'll have that ready, but the new CoAs should not be causing any real delays), assuming everything looks good in the game (which I suspect it will) and that there aren't any new errors (I can't read Chinese characters, so I'll be taking Brightgalrs' word for the new ones being correct unless someone tells me otherwise).

If you're not going to post the mod publicly, go right ahead. We can't really prevent a personal mod from reusing our stuff, regardless of whether we want to or not.

If you're going to post the mod publicly, you've got to narrow down the request quite a bit before it is possible to answer the question (and I might still need to pass it on to LumberKing, depending on what you're asking for). We've added thousands of lines of localization, so "some" is too vague.
Specifically, I want to use the culturally specific title names of some culture(Malayo-Polynesian, Viet, Tagalog, Japonic and Chinese) for my mod. Could I have your permission?

Specifically, I want to use the culturally specific title names of some culture(Malayo-Polynesian, Viet, Tagalog, Japonic and Chinese) for my mod. Could I have your permission?

I think stuff like "king_viet;Vuong;Vuong;Vuong;;Vuong;;;;;;;;;x" is fine to use as long as you credit Tianxia, as they should just be historical titles and not our own work (aside from researching stuff in the first place), but I'm not entirely certain how we got them in the first place, so I'll summon @LumberKing just in case we got them from someone else that you should be asking instead.

Kurultai.png

Just a little experiment that seems to yield some promising initial results...

There should hopefully be a dev diary within the next week or so (depending on when a bunch of localization gets done and whether there are any issues discovered during initial debugging). Until then, I'll leave you with a couple of new artefacts that might be relevant if you leave supernatural events enabled in the future. One is quite powerful (and extremely difficult to obtain without the console or similar cheats), while the other is... well, just look at the description!

Deed_to_the_Dragon_Throne.png

There's a major spoiler in the description that you'll have to find out on your own.

Wandy.png

May [Root.Religion.GetHighGodName] have mercy on our souls!

Development Diary 29: The Lunar New Year
Development Diary 29 - The Lunar New Year

Hello everyone! It is finally time for another dev diary.

Though the main thing we want to get done in the near-ish future is fixing the history files -- particularly when it comes to the earlier start dates -- there are some other things we also want to do to flesh out some areas that we feel are a priority when it comes to flavour, and one of those areas is China. As China starts Taoist (except when the Buddhist Mongols are in control, which is considerably later than the latest supported start date) and vanilla's Taoist religion completely lacks a religious festival, it was rather obvious that something needed to be done there, and therefore they will have the ability to celebrate the Lunar New Year once the next version is ready.

While the exact date of the Lunar New Year varies a bit, to avoid having to implement the much messier checks necessary to figure out when it happens a given year it has been simplified to take place February 1 every year, which affects checks like whether your character was born in the Year of the Water Dragon or the Year of the Metal Rabbit. It is possible that this will change in the future, but it is considered a low priority issue as it only will affect a few characters.

ck2_1.png

The ability to celebrate the Lunar New Year will be restricted to Taoists, Shenists, Reformed Shenists, Chinese culture group Buddhists, and any Chinese Imperial emperor (whether ruling China or a pretender empire), at least to begin with. It is possible that we will let someone else celebrate it down the line if we deem it appropriate, but due to a desire to be consistent with vanilla the idea is that there generally only should be one feast available for each character, and hopefully we will be able to add something that is more appropriate for others that normally would get Chinese stuff because they fall under the "Chinese enough" umbrella (which now also covers the Dragon culture by default, since it is the Dragon Throne after all). For example, Japanese and Yamato Buddhists already have access to the Hanami decision and will thus not get the Lunar New Year unless they qualify due to being a Chinese Imperial emperor (that takes precedence over "only one feast") because they are not intended to get more than one feast.

As with other feasts, the Lunar New Year starts out with a preparation phase. Some events are not guaranteed to happen (and you'll never get a negative event associated with a preparation you didn't get the chance to make) while some others are guaranteed to happen.

ck2_2.png

Another similarity to other feasts is that the events during the Lunar New Year celebration can go well or can go poorly. As an example, perhaps hiring musicians isn't always the right move, as they might not be good at their job.

ck2_3.png

Something that sets the Lunar New Year apart from some other feasts is that there is a possibility for some supernatural events to happen if you decide to leave that game rule active. You might want to look to the sky from time to time even when there aren't any fireworks to be seen, particularly during the Year of the Dragon (even if that year isn't the only year things might happen).

ck2_4.png

I'll not show you certain supernatural events that can happen that are a bit more... interesting... than the one above, as it probably is going to be more fun (if you're familiar with Dwarf Fortress, you might not find that word very reassuring...) for you to discover them on your own, but I'll show you a related game rule.

game_rule.png

Opting to only allow Eastern dragons will still allow for some supernatural events associated with the Lunar New Year to happen, though you will miss out on the ability to get some extremely powerful (and extremely difficult to obtain) artefacts (please ignore the placeholder artefact picture below; there will be something else in its place in the future) as they are associated with some things that can happen when you are less restrictive.

vial_of_immortality.png

For those of you who don't like supernatural events there should still be plenty of things that can happen during the Lunar New Year, though you will obviously have access to less events overall and will not have access to some new artefacts that are associated with them (unless you use the console or the like), even those that aren't particularly supernatural on their own.

That is all for now. I'm not sure when we'll have another dev diary as changes the history files don't actually make for an interesting dev diary until we start to get complete start dates to show off (which will take a while as it is better to work culture-by-culture than date-by-date when updating existing characters) and that's the main thing we're working on, but it is possible that we'll get something else done that is possible to write a dev diary about.

Development Diary 30: Miscellaneous Tweaks Concerning China
Dev Diary 30 - Miscellaneous tweaks concerning China

I had not anticipated writing another dev diary so soon, but as some stuff got down fairly quickly and made sense as a dev diary I might as well write one.

(Potentially) Chinese Imperial Liao:

Assuming there are no issues discovered during testing there should be a new title decision for nomadic Khitans that have a Chinese Imperial bloodline (i.e. Liao) that can be taken on titles that have a castle capital that are in the China region (or de jure China) and that either are owned by you, owned by your vassal, or owned by a tributary of yours (that's not an emperor-tier ruler).

ck2_2.png

ck2_3.png

In short, this decision is a special nomad settling decision that immediately makes you Chinese Imperial and (if the relevant game rule is set to allow it) gives you a bunch of event troops (less pre-1066 as Liao otherwise likely would be too powerful due to China being divided in the IC start, more post-1066). Note that the new empire probably would be a pushover in 1066 if the event troops are disabled as China starts with somewhere between 20 and 30k troops, and also note that your Mandate is unlikely to be particularly high if you take the decision right away (but at least you'll hurt China's Mandate, which might be a good reason to do it).

There is a game rule controlling how the AI behaves when it comes to this (attempt to settle with the decision very quickly (in which case it'll happen when you launch the game if it can settle at that point and otherwise likely rather quickly)/maybe settle using the special decision/or never settle with the decision).

There isn't yet anything similar for the Mongols, and the reasons for this are quite simple: They don't start with a Chinese Imperial bloodline and they're not around in any start date we currently support. Once we get far enough that they're likely to show up (without running the game for well over a century or setting them to spawn early) it is quite likely they'll get something similar (though probably a bit different because they shouldn't claim China right away for historical reasons).

Easier Chinese Imperial for Jin/Jurchens:

Though subject to change based to how it plays during testing the special decision for Jurchen rulers to create a Chinese Imperial empire has become somewhat easier to take. Previously you needed 75 holdings, 4000 prestige, and 500 gold, but as the AI tended to fail to achieve all of that even if it managed to achieve the other conditions the number of holdings has been reduced a bit, the gold cost has been reduced significantly, and the prestige cost gets reduced if you manage to take a province in China (some of which start as part of a fellow Liao tributary).

ck2_4.png

Mandate of Heaven changes:

The behind-the-scenes calculation for the Mandate of Heaven has been improved to take more things into account (e.g. if you have any Great Works in the realm (good if they're not ruined, bad if they're ruined)) and is now split into three parts: Personal suitability (traits, stats, character modifiers, and a handful of other things), the state of the realm (controlling China/your de jure, province modifiers, Prosperity/Depopulation, etc.), and miscellaneous factors (e.g. Mandate change gained from various things happening during the year). While there still is only one modifier being applied in the end the way the calculation as to whether your Mandate level increases/stays the same/decreases will no longer lump everything together and as a result it will now notice if you fail to do well in any of the three categories. This means that if e.g. you're an extremely good ruler but most of the realm is suffering from the Black Death or if you've got an extremely prosperous realm but are known to be a cannibal Devil Worshipper who is a drooling imbecile you'll probably find it hard to keep a good Mandate level as the category that you're doing very poorly in will be holding you back quite a bit.

Increase/Decrease tributary tier tweaks:

Finally, the Increase/Decrease tributary tier decisions have had their AI logic tweaked a bit after some AI rulers (most notably the king of Dai Viet, who probably should know better...) decided that becoming a full vassal of China was exactly what they should be doing. Higher tier tributaries are now a bit more likely to try to lower their tier if they're Client States and they don't hold any land in China, and they're considerably less likely to ask to become full vassals of China (though China might still ask them and might not take "No" for an answer).

As we move forward with the mod we're going to need testing of various new features, and though we already have some testers it is currently a bit uncertain how many of them still are willing to keep testing (if you're one of those testers you should go read the post in the Closed Alpha group instead of this one!). Hopefully, at least some of them will be sticking around, but as things currently stand we could use a few more testers, and it is possible that we'll need more than a few.

If you are interested in getting access to the in-development version in exchange for helping test it and feel like you can live up to the minimum expectations below (or even some of the plusses), please PM me (replying in this thread will not be sufficient) no later than December 14 and tell me 1) that you're interested (please start a new conversation if you're already PMing me about something else, as I might miss it otherwise), 2) which non-cosmetic DLCs you've got, 3) any other plusses that are applicable, and 4) anything else you think might be relevant ("I really like Tianxia!" and similar things are not relevant, as we kind of assume that everyone that wants to test likes the mod...). The number of testers we'll add depends on both the suitability of those that PM me and how many of the current testers that choose to stick around, but you should hopefully get a definite answer as to whether you've been chosen to help test on the 15th (barring any unforeseen developments that cause delays).

Minimum expectations:

- Having at least one of the following DLCs: tOG, RoI, JD, HF. Without at least one of those there'll only be a handful of possible rulers for you to play that are likely to be relevant, and we would prefer for you to play as someone in the Far East (with a slight amount of leeway in case you want to play someone near vanilla's eastern edge) even if you can't play as the specific ruler(s) we're asking you to test.

- Having time to test the mod. We are all busy from time to time with both predicable and unpredictable things, but if you are uncertain that you'll be able to test for a decent amount of time (say a cumulative 50 in-game years per month, assuming there's something relevant to test) on a regular basis it might not be ideal.

- Confidentiality. We don't want you to discuss things we've not revealed in the main Tianxia thread until we've revealed them, and we want you to avoid posting major spoilers (I dare say you'll almost certainly know them when you see them) -- particularly outside the tester group -- even if they relate to something we've revealed publicly.

- The willingness to test things in accordance with instructions, assuming you've got the relevant DLC(s). That means that if we e.g. ask you to try to become Chinese Imperial as Jin in 1066, to try a Chinese Imperial Liao game in 1066, or to play a Taoist ruler in 1066 and focus on celebrating the LNY as frequently as you can with supernatural stuff active you do one or more of those things instead of trying other start dates, using game rules that we're asking you not to use, or playing as rulers that won't easy be able to test the things we've asked for (e.g. starting in India with the intention to convert to Taoist down the line would not be sufficient if we ask you to play a Taoist game).

- The willingness to provide both bug reports ("This doesn't work"/"This is wrong") and feedback ("This doesn't work well"/"This odd thing happened"; we want both good and bad feedback, as long as it is constructive) regarding both the specific things we're asking you to test and general things you've noticed (e.g. if Japan randomly goes Sunni due to the Silk Road religion spread we'd like to hear about it even if it isn't relevant to what we're asking you to test). You'll also be expected to provide further information as necessary if we have questions regarding the bug report/feedback (e.g. if you experience a lot of blobbing we'll probably ask if you've got the JD CBs active, if the Child of Destiny was a factor, and the like).

Plusses:

- Having several of the DLCs listed above, though less so if it is just the tOG + HF combo as that wouldn't unlock more religions that are relevant.

- Having one or more of the following DLCs: CM, HL, Conclave, RD. Other non-cosmetic DLCs than those and the initial list might also be an advantage, though this list and the initial one covers the ones we're most interested in you having.

- CK2 modding experience. If you can look at a file and tell us what the issue is when you report a bug that's helpful, though we can usually make do without it.

- Relevant historical knowledge. Being able to spot issues with the historical setup -- and possibly even suggest improvements even when something isn't wrong -- will be very helpful.

- Potentially other relevant advantages (please mention them in the PM).

If you feel that you almost live up to the above but not quite, feel free to PM me about it and I'll see if it is something we don't mind making an exception for (e.g. if you're busy until late January but will have time to test after that point it is quite possible we'd still consider you as a candidate).