• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Oops, I just assumed you were the one in charge of this mod for some reason.

And Nusantara isn't really a fantasy empire, though it never really existed. The concept of Nusantara definitely existed. e.g. Gajah Mada swore that he would not taste spice until he had conquered all of Nusantara for Majapahit.

Please don't use Khmer as the empire name, as it is an adjective not a noun, it would akin to having 'Emperor of French', 'Emperor of Slavic' or 'Emperor of Chinese'. 'Emperor of Khmer' would be worse than 'Emperor of Khmer Empire'. If you want a single word, but refuse to use endonyms, Angkor would be my second choice, and then Cambodia.

It's simply not true that Khmer is exclusively an adjective. From the Wiktionary definition, for example:

"Noun
Khmer (countable and uncountable, plural Khmer or Khmers)

1. (uncountable) The national language of Cambodia, part of the Mon-Khmer language family.
  2. (countable) A member of an ethnolinguistic group that constitutes most of the population of Cambodia.
  3. An abugida used to write the Khmer language and sometimes Pali."

It can also be an adjective, but that's true of a lot of words. "Cambodian," for example. You could say "I met a Cambodian" (noun) or "I saw some Cambodian art" (adjective).

That being said, I'm not sure if the term Khmer by itself ever actually referred to a place. I only know of cases where it does so in combination with words like "empire," i.e. "Khmer Empire." Maybe someone who knows more about historical terminology can fill us in.

My mistake, still 'Emperor of Khmer' like 'Emperor of French' sounds silly. The only way this could make sense is of you add 'the': 'Emperor of the French', which would make it a popular monarchy, which complicates things because there is no way to implement this in the game with curring modding capabilities.

Khmer never referred to a place. In ancient times the Khmer called their nation Kambujadesa, and in more modern times Kampuchea. Cambodia is the English translation.

Not terribly soon, I'm afraid, since there's not a lot of work being done on the mod (due to the vast majority of the Tianxia devs not being active at all) and there's a lot of work that needs to be done.

The best-case scenario for the map rework is that all provinces are on the map (in a non-polished form) about a month from now (the actual working time is significantly less than a month, but I don't have all the time in the world to spend working on Tianxia and don't have the energy to spend all of my free time working on Tianxia). At that point, many/all (depending on what's getting done while I'm adding provinces; I'm focusing on that and have told people to work on the rest in the meantime) of the provinces will not have proper positions for graphical stuff (meaning units, councillors, etc. won't show up properly), will not have the proper amount of baronies (seven per province, due to Prosperity requiring that), will be missing proper CoAs (everything currently uses a placeholder CoA since it would take me longer to check every CoA than to copy and rename the placeholder for each title, and we had some placeholders even before the work on HF began), will be missing a proper (and ideally complete, at least as far as the top liege goes) title history (which depends on the character history) file (meaning you can't start as someone holding the province and that the province will be fully independent when the game starts), might have a bad province history file (the culture/religion/starting holdings might be weird), or might have other issues (e.g. missing/bad localization, a weird shape, a lack of adjacencies (strait/major river crossings), no starting tech values, not being in all relevant geographical regions, not having proper Black Death patterns, and/or not being a Silk Road (and Silk Road trading post, where relevant) province), some of which must be fixed before we even are prepared to share the mod with the Closed Alpha testers.

Beyond the above (a bunch of which isn't stuff that's possible to just port from the 2.8 version), there's a bunch of things that must completed/added before the mod works with HF (e.g. rel head titles and localization for our new Doctrines), a bunch of things that should be added (as part of HF compatibility/earlier compatibility) that doesn't prevent the mod from being playable but that is noticeable in its absence (Warrior Lodges for all of our pagans, holy orders for various religions, unique retinues/cultural buildings for everyone, more artefacts for everyone (especially basic smith-crafted ones), and basic flavour (e.g. a feast-like decision/event chain for all religions)), a bunch of things that should be added that's new content (which I'm not going to discuss here), some old stuff (that's currently commented out internally due to varying issues) that should be either fixed or fully removed (and other stuff that might need to be tweaked due to e.g. assuming that the recipient (and possibly the sender) automatically is an adult male character in whatever part of the world a culture/religion historically would be present it), a bunch of localization that should be checked (for grammar/spelling mistakes, proper pronouns (since some of it likely predates the SoW laws and thus assumes that various rulers are male), and just plain bad writing), and various other things that we might want to add that may or may not be worth delaying a release (public or Closed Alpha only) for and that may or may not be easy to add (and sometimes we have a lot of individually easy things to add that makes it a fairly big undertaking to add it all).

All of the above might not need to be done for the mod to be as playable as the internal 2.8 version (which only the Closed Alpha testers got to see, since a decision was made to not update the public version) is/was (though some bits, such as the map, are strictly necessary to get done before we're at that point) and to have basic HF compatibility, but even when the mod gets to that point it might not immediately be shared in a public fashion (since a decision was made to not do so in the past). We've got a list of goals (that might grow or shrink, and that I'm not going to share here) that we want to complete before we move on to the (Closed) Beta, and some of those goals are rather big, so there might be further delays due to that (and possibly also due to further DLCs/vanilla patches forcing us to do more compatibility work; even though HF wasn't as related to our stuff as JD, it still messed with a bunch of files that we also had tweaked and added some new things we need/needed to add).

Understandably, this isn't want you wanted to hear, and understandably this is rather vague, but there are things that I cannot (or should not) say here, a lot of uncertainties about how quickly things can get done due to not knowing how many devs will be even somewhat active (judging by recent and not-so-recent activity in our internal forum and elsewhere, not many, even if I'm generous with how I define "being active"), not being sure how difficult some things might be to do (some things are simple on paper, but turn out to be rather more difficult to actually do), and not being fully certain if our goals will change, and a number of things that I've got no control over (for example, I don't get to decide when we release something). I'll just say that I'm doing all the work I reasonably can do to ensure that a new version can be released as quickly as possible, but that releasing something quickly might not be possible.

My goodness that is a lot for a one man team! Thank you for the detail explanation, I am not artistly incline but I know a thing or two about programming. I might be able to assist since I just finished my major and will be walking in about a month from now. Pm me for how can I assist.

De jure kingdoms:

index.php
It's Hard To Tell From This Image, But I'm Guessing The Kingdom Of Kanem Just Has It's Name Somewhere Weird, And Isn't Actually Part Of The Kingdom Of Oyo? Despite The Borders Being Hard To See, The New Lands Look Pretty Good So Far.
I think that's why we have a "Holy Roman Emperor" and not a "Emperor of Holy Rome" or "Emperor of Holy Roman Empire".
Actually, I Believe Ingame The Holy Roman Emperor Is Referred To As The "Kaiser Of (The?) Holy Roman Empire"

My goodness that is a lot for a one man team! Thank you for the detail explanation, I am not artistly incline but I know a thing or two about programming. I might be able to assist since I just finished my major and will be walking in about a month from now. Pm me for how can I assist.

It's not a one man team (the map rework is something of a one man project, though, but some of that stuff would be really messy to do with more than one person), but help would still be appreciated. I suggest you get in touch with LumberKing about what you think you would be able to assist with, since I'm not in charge of Tianxia and can't invite people to the mod team.

It's Hard To Tell From This Image, But I'm Guessing The Kingdom Of Kanem Just Has It's Name Somewhere Weird, And Isn't Actually Part Of The Kingdom Of Oyo? Despite The Borders Being Hard To See, The New Lands Look Pretty Good So Far.

Kanem's name is in the same weird spot as in vanilla, and the kingdom contains exactly the same provinces as in vanilla (the empire has grown, since Oyo is now part of it). Unless we explicitly state that we are tweaking a vanilla de jure (which we won't do without a very good reason), it is safe to assume that no counties or higher tier titles have been moved elsewhere (vanilla baronies have been moved in a few places since they were named after things that were outside the vanilla map, but even that has been uncommon).

Last edited:
Development Diary 18: Changing China Part 1
Dev Diary 18 - Changing China, part 1 (+ minor additions to Tibet)

This will be another map-focused dev diary. As before, things are somewhat WIP, and there might be changes down the line.

Tibet:
The small slice of Tibet that is to the east of where the vanilla map ends has been slightly expanded from the 2.8 version, with seven provinces in the region instead of the earlier five.

De jure duchies:
ck2_19.png

Culture:
ck2_20.png

Religion:
ck2_21.png

China:

The province layout in China isn't complete yet, but five of the nine (as of 2.8) de jure kingdoms have been filled in.

ck2_22.png

ck2_29.png

ck2_30.png

Our previous version of China consisted of 122 provinces (including the kingdoms that have not yet been added but excluding the five provinces in d_jiuquan that were in e_china in one or two start dates). The kingdoms that have been added right now consist of 123 provinces, and those that still have to be added will also be expanded to some extent.

Breaking it down per kingdom:
- Han: 35 (was 22)
- Min: 10 (was 6)
- Wuyue: 14 (was 10)
- Chu: 27 (was 14)
- Shu: 37 (was 17)

De jure duchies:
ck2_23.png

ck2_26.png

Culture:
ck2_24.png

ck2_28.png

Religion:
ck2_25.png

ck2_27.png

There will hopefully be another dev diary late next week, but it could potentially be delayed depending on various factors.

Am I reading that correctly - Thai culture in China? Or is it just a naming coincidence?

I haven't looked at this mod in a hot minute, so sorry if this has been answered. Are you just going to leave northern China as a wasteland? If so, why, if not when do you think you will be done?

I haven't looked at this mod in a hot minute, so sorry if this has been answered. Are you just going to leave northern China as a wasteland? If so, why, if not when do you think you will be done?
"The province layout in China isn't complete yet, but five of the nine (as of 2.8) de jure kingdoms have been filled in."
So four kingdoms in China have yet to be filled in, and that's assuming there aren't any new kingdoms. WIP.

Am I reading that correctly - Thai culture in China? Or is it just a naming coincidence?
Thais, Shans, Laotians were all living in Southwestern China before migrating south. Actually CK2 coincides with the time the migrations started.

See what @Warial wrote.

I was rather surprised myself when I first discovered that there were Thai provinces in China a couple of years back and thought it a bug, but did some quick research and found that it wasn't necessarily wrong. The exact amount of provinces with Thai culture down the line, as well as if it will change across bookmarks and whether there might be some events about the migration/conversion (which I'm uncertain if it would be a good idea, since things might happen during the game that makes it strange to migrate to the south (a Bloodthirsty Gods Sanamahist realm not looking kindly on migrating there, a Thai ruler of China, or other CK2 weirdness, whether caused by the player or not)), is still up in the air.

The rest of China, as well as Korea, Manchuria, eastern Mongolia, and the area around Lake Baikal will be filled in relatively soon (probably within a month from now, but it depends on how much time I can spend working on Tianxia). However, there will still be things left to do at that point before we have successfully ported everything from the previous internal version and taken care of leftover compatibility, and there are some new things we need to add beyond that before we have something we consider even potentially releasable.

Is it possible to incorporate the Playable Dynastic Theocracy mod into this one? It is really awkward pretending that hereditary noblemen are civil servants.

On another note, and sorry if this had been mentioned before, but I dont think Ive seen holy sites being teased yet.

Is it possible to incorporate the Playable Dynastic Theocracy mod into this one? It is really awkward pretending that hereditary noblemen are civil servants.

Short answer: It probably is possible, but we probably won't do it.

Long answer: While we almost certainly will do more things (some of which have been briefly discussed internally, even if they're not something that we'll be working on until several other things have been taken care of) to make China (and other realms) work closer to how they did historically in addition to the things we already have done (such as the special government type for Chinese culture group Taoists) to the extent that it is possible and doesn't come with significant drawbacks (e.g. a major performance drain), incorporating stuff from another mod (even if we find a mod that has stuff we would like to use and can get permission to use that stuff) isn't trivial to do since there doubtlessly will be things that conflict with other parts of our mod or that we don't like (whether big things or small things).

There are also many issues that would (or could, but some definitely would) arise from having non-noble nobles (some of which we can't do anything about, e.g. the AI treating those characters as proper nobles when evaluating marriages) and/or allowing playable non-dynastic successors, so it would very likely be a mess to try something like that even before we got to things like what happens if you go independent from China (or whatever), if your liege changes his religion and gets a different government type that shouldn't have non-noble vassals, if you become the EoC and don't have a dynastic heir, if you were playing a real noble in another realm and suddenly become a vassal of China, and various other things that we would have to account for, so whatever we end up with will probably still have you playing as a noble dynasty with at least one hereditary county.

On another note, and sorry if this had been mentioned before, but I dont think Ive seen holy sites being teased yet.

I'll cover them once the map is complete, since there currently are religions that don't have all of their holy sites due to them being in unfinished parts of the map.

ck2_31.png

The rest of China is taking shape rather nicely (but isn't yet ready enough for a dev diary).

Development Diary 19: Changing China Part 2
Dev Diary 19 - Changing China, part 2

This will once more be a map-focused dev diary. As before, there might be tweaks down the line, and there might be mistakes in places (that you should feel free to point out) due to the projection being rather weird in places.

ck2_52.png

The rest of China has now been added (it is shown as "Empire of China" in the screenshot due to not actually having its history added yet, which means it isn't shown as "Song Empire").

ck2_32.png

The final province count for de jure China (which does not contain anything on the vanilla map, anything in the Tibetan Plateau, or the kingdoms of Dali and Taiwan) ended up being 230, which by pure coincidence is the same amount of provinces as the three Indian empries have together (with our extra province in e_bengal). This is an increase of 88.5 % from the 122 provinces we had in the previous version, which isn't terribly surprising as China was the area we wanted to expand.

ck2_33.png

The current de jure kingdom setup is the same as we had in the previous version, but it isn't guaranteed to be final.

Wu:
ck2_41.png

The Kingdom of Wu has been increased from 15 provinces to 35.

De jure duchies:
ck2_38.png

Culture:
ck2_39.png

Religion:
ck2_40.png

Qi and Liang:
ck2_42.png

The Kingdom of Qi has been increased from 6 provinces (discounting d_jiuquan, which was part of the de jure in one or a couple of start dates) to 11, and the Kingdom of Liang has been increased from 21 provinces to 43.

De jure duchies:
ck2_45.png

Culture:
ck2_44.png

Religion:
ck2_43.png

Yan:
ck2_51.png

The Kingdom of Yan has been expanded to 18 provinces, from 11.

De jure duchies:
ck2_48.png

Since everything north of the previous religion/culture screenshots currently is Han and Taoist, I'll refrain from posting more screenshots.

It is currently uncertain when the next dev diary will be ready due to some things coming up for me soon that might take time from modding, but since the next area to be worked on is Korea and the changes there probably will be fairly minor I hope that it will be possible for me to get it done relatively soon.