• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
By the way, here's some stuff we'd like to see if anyone comes across it:

- Maps showing independent realms at different points during the CK2 period.

- Maps or general information about tributary relations and other relations between different realms at different points during the CK2 period.

- Subrealm/vassal maps at different points during the CK2 period. Less important than the above two, at least for now.

- Maps or general information about the spread of the Black Death in Asia (especially where it didn't spread).

Reputable sources are strongly preferred, or information found on a webpage that cites reputable sources (this is the category where good Wikipedia articles fall), and ideally the information is in English, though of course we're all capable of using Google Translate and might be able to use good sources in other languages (though some languages are hard to get good translations from, which sadly tends to be the case for Chinese, Japanese, Korean, etc.).

Additionally, we'd like the following (which doesn't need to be properly sourced, even if sources still might be good):

- General ideas for regular (meaning common MTTH/on_X_yearly_pulse events, common decisions, etc., not complicated stuff that we'd need to do a lot of work to implement because we have to work around various game mechanics) Japanese/Shinto flavour. Relatively serious, non-supernatural stuff that wouldn't be too restricted is prefered, but more silly stuff and supernatural stuff or stuff that's somewhat hard to trigger might also be added if we have the time.

- Ideas for Japanese/Shinto artefacts (both common stuff and unique ones). Ignore the Imperial Regalia and various kinds of common swords; they're already on our list.

- Ideas for important unique artefacts for the Far East as a whole (think stuff like vanilla's Ark of the Covenant or Iron Crown of Lombardy).

Other ideas are also welcome, but Japan/the Shinto faith is the focus area for flavour right now (along with some minor stuff for the exception) and ideas for other areas (aside from those for important artefacts) are extremely likely to be thrown onto the "Stuff we're not doing now" pile and possibly forgotten.

Please @ me or quote this post if you have any suggestions/sources related to any of the above.
This is minor, but maybe give Shinto the same decision as Bon to 'syncretize with Buddhism', giving characters who do so the sympathy for Eastern religions trait.

Suggestion:Instead of using Five Dynasty and Ten Kingdoms titles,I suggest using more traditional titles. Instead of having a Kingdom of Qi and Wuyue in Guanzhong and in the south respectively,I suggest having a kingdom of Qin and a kingdom of Yue stead.

Last edited:
Another suggestion: Cut de jure Liang into three kingdoms. I suggest they should be Jin/Zhao,Liang/Wei and Qi(the one in Shandong). I think de jure Liang is too large.

- Maps or general information about tributary relations and other relations between different realms at different points during the CK2 period.

- Subrealm/vassal maps at different points during the CK2 period. Less important than the above two, at least for now.

- Maps or general information about the spread of the Black Death in Asia (especially where it didn't spread).

Reputable sources are strongly preferred, or information found on a webpage that cites reputable sources (this is the category where good Wikipedia articles fall), and ideally the information is in English, though of course we're all capable of using Google Translate and might be able to use good sources in other languages (though some languages are hard to get good translations from, which sadly tends to be the case for Chinese, Japanese, Korean, etc.).

Additionally, we'd like the following (which doesn't need to be properly sourced, even if sources still might be good):

- General ideas for regular (meaning common MTTH/on_X_yearly_pulse events, common decisions, etc., not complicated stuff that we'd need to do a lot of work to implement because we have to work around various game mechanics) Japanese/Shinto flavour. Relatively serious, non-supernatural stuff that wouldn't be too restricted is prefered, but more silly stuff and supernatural stuff or stuff that's somewhat hard to trigger might also be added if we have the time.

- Ideas for Japanese/Shinto artefacts (both common stuff and unique ones). Ignore the Imperial Regalia and various kinds of common swords; they're already on our list.

- Ideas for important unique artefacts for the Far East as a whole (think stuff like vanilla's Ark of the Covenant or Iron Crown of Lombardy).

Other ideas are also welcome, but Japan/the Shinto faith is the focus area for flavour right now (along with some minor stuff for the exception) and ideas for other areas (aside from those for important artefacts) are extremely likely to be thrown onto the "Stuff we're not doing now" pile and possibly forgotten.

Please @ me or quote this post if you have any suggestions/sources related to any of the above.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Map-of-southeast-asia_900_CE.png

Here Is A Map Of Indochina At The Year 900, With 5 Sources Listed.

Here Is A Quite Detailed Video Showing Borders (And Even Some Vassal Borders And What Not) In South-East Asia From The Year 500 BC To The Current Day. I Will Try To Acquire Sources For The Video.

Hey there, don't know if this has been reported of before and it's very vague indeed but, I just discovered this mod yesterday. Got the base mod, the patch and the content pack, put the base mod first along with the .mod file into /documents/paradox interactive/crusader kings 2/mod folder like every other mod I have, then also put there everything from the content pack, then the patch, I did indeed replace the files it wanted me to and... the game crashes midway loading while processing flags, it crashes all the same even if I turn off everything from the content pack and run the base mod only with my dlcs.

I have all the required and even the recommended DLCs and my PC does have 4GB of RAM avaliable, my Ck 2 is also patched up to the most recent version.

Could someone please help? If I'm missing something very obvious then please point me into the right direction to fix my problem and feel free to remove this question.

Will we get patch of mod before new DLC? I hope for it :)

We certainly hope to get something we can release before Holy Fury is released (whenever that is), but right now there aren't a lot of people actively working on the mod (counting myself, I know of only three people on the team that have been active in our internal forum in the last couple of weeks) and, with summer coming up, there is a greater than normal risk of people going away on vacation or the like.

Our list of goals we want to get out of the way before the start of the Closed Beta is also fairly extensive and includes both stuff like adding government flavour (trivial once we figure out what we want), stuff like ensuring that top level borders (and subrealm borders, if we get that far) are as historically accurate as possible (which is far from trivial as we both need to find sources for what it should look like and also need to edit the relevant files), and (if we feel like it is worth doing now) stuff like finding proper historical province-level rulers for as many provinces as possible (which is a massive undertaking since we're talking about hundreds of provinces and thousands of characters (most likely well above ten thousands, given that we will also want to add in historical non-ruling family members where we find them)).

I shound have a dev diary for you no later than Friday, though (assuming nothing unexpected comes up); I just need to get 550-ish lines of localization and 200-ish picture updates (and perhaps a few other minor changes too) out of the way before I can write it.

Last edited:
Sorry to bother, but if you guys wanted I could upload a bureaucratic mod I've been working on, so you'll have a base for you're own bureaucratic government. It adds a feudal government type that only allows the open elective government succession. All feudal vassals convert to it if the top liege is Chinese Imperial, but they will swap back to the normal feudal government if they become independent or the top liege changes from Chinese Imperial. Interestingly it doesn't result in a game over, and you can keep playing as the next person who gains the title, even if it isn't a dynastic heir. The only issues the mod has is that I haven't added a government icon, though I have added government flavor and localization for the new government.

@RedBaronFlyer: We might be interested in looking at it at some point (ane could probably find it in the future if you feel like uploading it now), but we've not decided what we're doing with China yet and it isn't something we are working on right now. I am also personally not a fan of not enforcing dynastic gameplay since I like that and have some vague ideas for how to do that without having a strictly feudal China that I'll be looking into at some point, so it isn't certain we'll go for something involving Open Elective, though I have no more say in the matter than anyone else on the team, so we'll see what we decide to do.

Some things have come up, so unfortunately the dev diary will have to be delayed a few days. I'm aiming for Monday.

Sorry to bother, but if you guys wanted I could upload a bureaucratic mod I've been working on, so you'll have a base for you're own bureaucratic government. It adds a feudal government type that only allows the open elective government succession. All feudal vassals convert to it if the top liege is Chinese Imperial, but they will swap back to the normal feudal government if they become independent or the top liege changes from Chinese Imperial. Interestingly it doesn't result in a game over, and you can keep playing as the next person who gains the title, even if it isn't a dynastic heir. The only issues the mod has is that I haven't added a government icon, though I have added government flavor and localization for the new government.
Huh. You know, I had been working on something similar, but with a form of Appointment instead of Open Elective. Though if Open Elective lets you play as the successor, that seems superior to me.
Edit: Disregard. Looking back through the files, I think I actually used Open Elective as well, just never tested from vassals' view.

Last edited:
Development Diary 12: The Shinto Religion
Development Diary 12 - The Shinto religion (+ bonus Liao breakup)

After some internal discussion and various comments in this thread, we have decided to move away from having Unreformed and Reformed Shinto to having just Shinto. For now, the Tenno (the Emperor of Japan, though not necessarily the holder of e_japan) still is the religion head and they have some reformed features (the ability to call GHWs, for one thing), but that might change (though since their MA will suffer a lot if they aren't an organized religion and lack a religion head it might be best for balance to keep that bit around; we'll see). They will, however, definitely work like the Bön when it comes to stuff like being able to have better succession laws and being able to feudalize if tribal, so you won't need to convert to get that stuff.

ck2_69.png

The religion map in 1066 (the white provinces in Japan are Shinto holy sites). At the bottom, you can see a Ryukyuan province following the Ryukyuan religion.

The lack of an unreformed branch of the religion means there is no heresy for the Shinto faith. However, if the MA of the Shinto faith drops low enough, there can still be trouble, since Shinto provinces have a chance of turning Buddhists all of a sudden, and, if there are other non-pagan faiths within two sea zones of a Shinto province there is a chance that it will flip to that religion instead.

ck2_77.png

Look, I know we are supposed to be somewhat tolerant, but I'm not so sure that means you should actually convert to other religions! Silly peasants!

We have also added a straightforward way to get the Sympathy for Eastern religions trait for Shinto rulers, and the Imperial Family (and, down the line, some others) have a special Sayyid-style trait, Amaterasu Descendant, that automatically gives the same benefit. Buddhist and Shinto characters can also intermarry freely.

ck2_70.png

Can't we all just get along?

As you might have noticed in the screenshot above, there's also a Hold a Hanami decision for Shinto rulers. This is the Shinto equivalent to the Hold a Great Feast decision, though it has a bit over twice as many possible events. Some of them are very rare, though, and might not be something you manage to see in every campaign even with a hanami every year.

Some of the events during the hanami are rather good (and this isn't the best possible event)...

ck2_79.png

Women dressed in male clothes and carrying swords are always good to hire to entertain you and your guests. Surely nothing could go wrong!

...and some of the events aren't particularly good (and this isn't the worst possible event).

ck2_78.png

Perhaps I should have listened to my mother when she said I shouldn't play with fire(works)...

There is also some more flavour being worked on for the Shinto faith and Japan as a whole, but it isn't in a state where I can show you anything. However, the Shinto faith will probably end up beating the Norse faith in flavour when all is said and done, so they shouldn't be boring to play as.

Also, all of the new pagan religions in Tianxia have been given Demon Worshipper cults (and the Taoists have also been given access to one of the new ones). These operate as the vanilla ones (though with a couple of small events possibly popping up for Shinto DWs during the hanami...) and can be disabled with the standard game rule (and the work that went into them was insignificant as they mainly use the existing events, so we've not been working on them at the expense of more historical flavour).

ck2_80.png

Sure sound like a friendly bunch...

On an unrelated note, we have also broken up the Liao Khaganate a bit.

ck2_74.png

Tributaries are loyal... right?

For those of you that find that interesting, that means that there now are two independent Nestorian nomadic realms in the east. Of course, being nomads, they're not guaranteed to stick with that religion, but I'm sure the player could create a large Nestorian (or, knowing the CK2 forums, Messalian) realm somewhere near China.

ck2_75.png

I'm sure the Tengri, Buddhist, and Taoist neighbours will be friendly towards you!

Edit: Ignore the attachments; they're just the same screenshots as some of the others. Also, sorry about the weird formatting.

Attachments

• ck2_72.png
    ck2_72.png
    3,2 MB · Views: 19
  • ck2_77.png
    ck2_77.png
    3,8 MB · Views: 21
Looking good, and I'm excited to start playing as Shinto :) But, have you made it pre-reformed, or unreformable? If the latter; would you please enable Shinto players to ask others to convert? That is the no. 1 peeve I have with Bön, that it is impossible to spread your religion. History schmistory, if I am the emperor of a pagan Tibet spreading from Kham to Baghdad, I should be able to make the creed of my choosing the no. 1 faith!

Looking good, and I'm excited to start playing as Shinto :) But, have you made it pre-reformed, or unreformable? If the latter; would you please enable Shinto players to ask others to convert? That is the no. 1 peeve I have with Bön, that it is impossible to spread your religion. History schmistory, if I am the emperor of a pagan Tibet spreading from Kham to Baghdad, I should be able to make the creed of my choosing the no. 1 faith!

They are unreformed. However, neither the Shinto nor the Bön have the "can_demand_religious_conversion = no" flag, so both should be able to demand conversion (the button is present for the Emperor of Japan, at least).

They are unreformed. However, neither the Shinto nor the Bön have the "can_demand_religious_conversion = no" flag, so both should be able to demand conversion (the button is present for the Emperor of Japan, at least).
In vanilla, the Bön cannot demand conversion. The reason it isn't allowed is given as "Is unreformed pagan". Could you try if you can actually demand someone to convert as a Shinto? Not just if the button is visible.

In vanilla, the Bön cannot demand conversion. The reason it isn't allowed is given as "Is unreformed pagan". Could you try if you can actually demand someone to convert as a Shinto? Not just if the button is visible.

It works for both the Bön and the Shinto. Curiously enough, the Bön religion is defined exactly as in vanilla.

It works for both the Bön and the Shinto. Curiously enough, the Bön religion is defined exactly as in vanilla.
That is curious indeed. I must check myself when I get home; perhaps they changed it in a later patch. I remember my campaign being ruined by the inability to convert others.