• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
picture broke :(

Huh. I can still see it...

Posting it again.

ck2_69.png

I have nothing particularly exciting to share right now, but here's a flavour event that is semi-related to the Grace rework that wasn't done when I wrote the dev diary.

View attachment 336732

Edit: By the way, the name isn't random. You cannot pick the name of the overthrown dynasty's China or the name of some other Chinese Imperial empire, but there are 24 names in total (Tang, Jin, Wei, Qi, Zhou, Han, Qin, Yan, Zhao, Liao, Yuan, Xia, Qing, Dai, Cheng, Liang, Song, Ming, Shu, Wu, Chu, Yue, Yin, and Shun; same as in vanilla) to choose from (though the AI is slightly restricted by culture and also very likely to pick a name associated with their dynasty if they are a historical dynasty). Furthermore, on inheritance from another dynasty (as opposed to usurpation), you get the option to keep going with the existing dynasty's name (the AI has a very low chance of doing this), which keeps all Grace and all Peace Deals/etc.

Temple names are also being added (and granted on death), though slightly buggy at the moment when it comes to giving historical emperors their historical temple name.
None of them ever lasted very long in history but there has been a lot of dynasties claiming the name of earlier ones, Zhou, Wei and Han being just some examples that later dynasties (ruling parts of China) claimed in order to get some link of legitimacy to the earlier dynasties of that name.

Can dynasties never claim the name of one previously used? (During the timespan of the game that is, since Han, Zhou, Qin and such are all available.) If I sound unclear I'm just asking if when the Tang dynasty collapses, can the name "Tang" later be claimed? The AI should probably do so if they share the same surname as the ruling family of the old dynasty, such as the new Emperor in the picture above, being of the same surname as the Emperors of Tang.

None of them ever lasted very long in history but there has been a lot of dynasties claiming the name of earlier ones, Zhou, Wei and Han being just some examples that later dynasties (ruling parts of China) claimed in order to get some link of legitimacy to the earlier dynasties of that name.

Can dynasties never claim the name of one previously used? (During the timespan of the game that is, since Han, Zhou, Qin and such are all available.) If I sound unclear I'm just asking if when the Tang dynasty collapses, can the name "Tang" later be claimed? The AI should probably do so if they share the same surname as the ruling family of the old dynasty, such as the new Emperor in the picture above, being of the same surname as the Emperors of Tang.

They can take a previous name, but if they usurp e_china (or a pretender empire) they cannot take the immediately preceding name (e.g. if the Tang are overthrown, the overthrower can't claim to be the Tang dynasty (unless they are of the same dynasty, in which case the empire isn't renamed in the first place), but if the Song fall you can claim to be the Tang reborn (assuming there isn't a pretender empire of that name)).

However, tracking surnames is probably not going to happen, particularly as CK2 already didn't like it when I tried to check for dynasty flags so that someone could revive their own dynasty's name, which should be more straightforward than checking if dynasty X and dynasty Y have the same name (as that would have to be done explicitly).

They can take a previous name, but if they usurp e_china (or a pretender empire) they cannot take the immediately preceding name (e.g. if the Tang are overthrown, the overthrower can't claim to be the Tang dynasty (unless they are of the same dynasty, in which case the empire isn't renamed in the first place), but if the Song fall you can claim to be the Tang reborn (assuming there isn't a pretender empire of that name)).

However, tracking surnames is probably not going to happen, particularly as CK2 already didn't like it when I tried to check for dynasty flags so that someone could revive their own dynasty's name, which should be more straightforward than checking if dynasty X and dynasty Y have the same name (as that would have to be done explicitly).
if would be really cool if you could, when reviving old dynasties, give a temple name to the last emperor of the dynasty you're reviving.

if would be really cool if you could, when reviving old dynasties, give a temple name to the last emperor of the dynasty you're reviving.

Not sure how easy that would be to do (particularly since they aren't guaranteed to be a member of the same dynasty in the CK2 sense), but I'll look into it when I have the time.

I have nothing particularly exciting to share right now, but here's a flavour event that is semi-related to the Grace rework that wasn't done when I wrote the dev diary.

View attachment 336732

Edit: By the way, the name isn't random. You cannot pick the name of the overthrown dynasty's China or the name of some other Chinese Imperial empire, but there are 24 names in total (Tang, Jin, Wei, Qi, Zhou, Han, Qin, Yan, Zhao, Liao, Yuan, Xia, Qing, Dai, Cheng, Liang, Song, Ming, Shu, Wu, Chu, Yue, Yin, and Shun; same as in vanilla) to choose from (though the AI is slightly restricted by culture and also very likely to pick a name associated with their dynasty if they are a historical dynasty). Furthermore, on inheritance from another dynasty (as opposed to usurpation), you get the option to keep going with the existing dynasty's name (the AI has a very low chance of doing this), which keeps all Grace and all Peace Deals/etc.

Temple names are also being added (and granted on death), though slightly buggy at the moment when it comes to giving historical emperors their historical temple name.
Someone made a mod which allows you to choose dynasty name and temple names.May be a good idea to check it out.

Development Diary 11: Outside China
Development Diary 11- Outside China

Hi I'm Okawoa involved with Korea in the Tianxia: Silk Road Expansion. As the Winter Olympics wind down in Pyeongchang, we will look at the world around China as opposed to last weeks diary that focused on rebuilding the Grace system.

To the East and North we have Korea and Liao who face new realities versus a more powerful China. The Liao will need to occupy Manchuria before having enough grassland to take over China. Korea, too, may need to develop before facing a more unstable but stronger China. Another reason Korea should pipe down is the Kingdom is now split into the minor-league version of the Three Kingdoms: Silla, Baekje and Gogureyo.

Given that Korea has allot of peace-time integration ahead of it, its possible to play a decent amount without invading other places. Dano and especially Chuseok have been expanded since last patch. Female succession is now possible in early bookmarks under the Gim Dynasty but, as historically, a last resort if you have no male heirs. Female rulers being last of their kin need to be cautious to not die out!

upload_2018-2-22_22-31-57.png

Female ruler celebrating Dano (The Fifth) on the swing

New also to Korea is the Hwarang (花郞) society, home of the flower knights. This society differs from regular societies in a bunch of ways. Youths 12-20 years of age can join to learn about military deeds, naturalism and unlock rewards. While only men can join (unplayable) female priests are welcome as supervisors of Hwarang. Common missions will be protecting monks, learning the secrets of make-up and participating in martial events. For most this is like the scouts, but there are chances if you don't keep up with your studies you might get hurt! This and future societies will be parcelled in modules so to not cluster the base mod. The Mu-Dang path, for females, is now less rare but more likely to end in possession.

upload_2018-2-22_22-35-34.png

Polynesians sending a delegation. Note he has been visited by Muslim sailors.

In the spirit of mods like WTWSMS, event pictures of six East Asian cultures have been changed to show the diversity of the region. As Korea is practically done, eyes are south at Indonesia for the next target and then China to add event-chains based on Way Of Life choices. Japan remains untouched until we find an expert on the subject. India likewise has precious little improved minus a Naga event.

The mod has come slow, mainly because Paradox keeps adding provinces that - well - we reserved. But now the team is more experienced at handling unexpected hurdles to progress and steadily improve the gameplay.

Last edited:
The flower knight society sounds fun, and I'm a big supporter of the event pictures showing the diversity of the region a la WTWSMS.

is it possible for independent confucian kings to adopt temple names, or for that matter, can temple names be localized?

At the moment, it isn't possible, but it would be possible to add the ability for other realms to adopt it (though whether/when we will is uncertain as it falls into the "new stuff" pile and requires a couple of extra bits as we need to ensure nothing weird/unwanted happens if e.g. a Taoist (which I assume you meant, as we don't have Confucians any longer) Khotan gets taken over by someone that shouldn't be using temple names any longer). Localizing them would probably be a bit messy, though.

well obviously i dont expect these things to be available any time soon even if they were possible to implement. i was just wondering if they were possible at all since the new temple name feature doesnt apply to kingtier rulers, which mean that temple names and personal names are still mixed up for realms like korea and vietnam, where the monarchs adopted the system. if they were possible, they would be a more elegant way to fix the issue than to elevate every polity into empire.

Last edited:
well obviously i dont expect these things to be available any time soon even if they were possible to implement. i was just wondering if they were possible at all since the new temple name feature doesnt apply to kingtier rulers, which mean that temple names and personal names are still mixed up for realms like korea and vietnam, where the monarchs adopted the system. if they were possible, they would be a more elegant way to fix the issue than to elevate every polity into empire.

Given that our way of doing it simply has a character get an on_death event that sets a random temple name, it should be possible to trigger it for kings as well.

Any chances for this mod to merge with wtwsms so we can get a full Eurasian experience? :)

The thought of researching character history for those years :-/. Especially to a count and duke level ... way unlikely. Also they have their own thing going on and that is awesome.

People need to understand that merging mods (especially ones of such size) is *very* close to impossible.

yea it looks good iam just to lazy to downgrade ck2 to play this i hope we will see this for current version of ck2
There is a closed alpha signup, but I'm not sure if it's still open. I saw a lot of beta testers on the public post, but that's all I saw.