• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Yes and even then, it will take some time to make the mod compatible with the map changes and the addition of new characters.
I would be interested to help but I'm a bit of a noob in modding for CK2(only having messed with events) so is there any way I could help? Would there be something I could learn up about so I could be more useful?

hype train nao

@Okawoa - The Korea mini-mod was such a treat, thank you! Been watching a lot of historical K Dramas and an immersive Korea game of CK2 was like an itch I needed to scratch. Had one of my most memorable CK2 runs as a unifying king of Balhae with some..personal failings. Loved the surprises like story time with shamans (can I at least have that liver you left drying on a rock? LOL). Also I was shook by the fate of Banchagbanchagkub, never gonna do that decision again :(

Huge kudos to Tianxia mod&team in general, can't wait to see what yall do with the new expansion!

With so many extra counties in tibet wont china be kind of lacking now? Are there plans to relook at china’s set up with the next update?

The intent of the Closed Alpha is to re-work China, prioritising the addition of provinces there to make it more comparable to India.

As for this mod, I enjoyed but there are still two bugs that still persist. One of the bus is with Aniu portraits, The females character at certain title or circumstance instantly grow mustache and beard. The second issue have to do with one of the duchy in the kingdom of Philippines in which the duchy have a de jure county that does not exit on the map. Every time the duchy is formed; the game constantly sends the incomplete duchy real message because that county does not exist.

I really dont want to be that annoying pain in the ass who asks "is it already done?" but could we maybe getba small update how the new stuff from JD will be integrated?

This is quite valid. As the project goes into a Closed Alpha, there will be a development diary shortly regarding this. Well, at the very least I will try to get it done by Christmas and start inviting people to test the Closed Alpha.

So what plans with Jade Dragon?

Disclaimer: This is NOT a promise in any way, shape, or form.

As much as possible of the JD stuff will be incorporated into Tianxia, unless it is found to either be (near-)impossible to incorporate or makes no sense with China/the Far East on the map. Some stuff (the Silk Road changes, the new CBs, most of the events, and the non-China decisions) should need no, or only very minor, modifications to be made compatible, both in the sense that it works and in the sense that it makes sense with China/the Far East on the map. Other stuff will need extensive reworking to work at all (e.g. everything in the China menu, as offmap titles aren't possible for on-map characters to hold), and some of it might make no sense with China on the map (e.g. "raiding" China through an event chain, your kin vanishing into thin air despite the fact that the EoC's court is possible to interact with, and perhaps some other things).

However, until the vanilla map changes (and some Tianxia map changes that have been planned for a while) and related aspecs (character/title histories, at least) have been incorporated into Tianxia and the mod is stable when it comes to those things, the other stuff is a bit out of focus and has not been discussed in detail at this point (though I'm personally looking a bit at that stuff when tweaking it for my personal mod (I am not a map modder in any way, shape, or form, so me tweaking some vanilla stuff for my personal enjoyment doesn't really affect Tianxia's progress) and am starting to get an idea about how some stuff works and what stuff will be easy/hard to make compatible, even if I don't have the final say when it comes to how, or even if, something is incorporated). Several members of the mod team (myself included) have also indicated that they are/will be fairly busy November-December with various personal commitments, so things are moving a bit slowly because of that.

There is also the fact that we (presumably) will get a 2.8.1 release somewhat soon (my guess would be that it comes just before Christmas or at some point in January, though if there are lots of additions or major reworks and not just bug fixing it might be longer). This should not affect the time the map changes takes to do, but depending on when (and if; though I'd be rather suprised if we don't get a patch soonish) the patch comes out it might delay Tianxia compability as incorporating any changes made in the patch will take some extra work (though if the changes aren't major ones it should be reasonably straightforward) but still seems better to do than it would be to release a 2.8.0-compatible version if 2.8.1 is out.

New Tianxia stuff (whether using JD mechanics or not), aside from the map/compability stuff, is not a priority at the moment, but if you have any ideas you can post them here or in the Suggestion thread and they will be considered (though probably not come any time soon unless it is a fairly small tweak to something existing and is something that we quickly can make a decision about). The same goes for tweaks to JD stuff (and other vanilla stuff), though since that is going to be worked on soonish it is possible that a small change or three could be made (assuming it is something that we want to do).

Edit: With 2.8.1 coming tomorrow, parts of this changed. I suppose there might be a 2.8.2 that the same holds for, but that is less certain to be the case.

Last edited:
I mainly asked because I can’t see how the grace system could be used at all without the player getting bombarded by messages.

That is something that might become a concern, depending on the frequency of requests/demands. We might have to tell AIs below a certain rank (and/or AIs that aren't independent) to never use the grace decisions, or something like that.

Sorry if this has been answered, but it's kind if hard to tell on a single thread.

How many Jade Dragon features do you plan on integrating into the mod? I assume the "China screen" is going to be axed entirely because it's hard to use with an on-map entity.

For example, I know you guys had a custom government for China with a unique decadence mechanic, but are you still planning to keep it in lieu of the new (and sweet) Chinese Imperialism?

Just curious, I'm excited to see where this mod goes with all the new toys Jade Dragon has given us.

EDIT: I'm an idiot and didn't see the post right above. However, I am still curious about what you plan to do with Chinese Imperialism.

Last edited:
Development Diary 9: From Here On Out
Development Diary 9: From Here On Out

Merry Gregorian Christmas everyone!

Though it ought to be a jolly time and be festive, I bring bad news: the mod is still utterly broken!
W9lcT4n.jpg
3w3kpbt.jpg

On the flip side, the map changes Jade Dragon brings us an opportunity to redo a lot of the things, especially the province count for China!

Now, there have been a lot of questions regarding what will be included and what will be excluded from the new expansion which focuses on China without China. So this mod will be about what will be in and what will be out, though things can and may change.

Most of the discussions between the developers regarding Jade Dragon have been about decisions so we will start with that: anything which isn’t about an off-map China will be in and even for things that are, if it makes sense it will be in with some re-work. As for an off-map China, we obviously don’t need it since Tianxia has an on-map China. We’re not entirely decided on the Western Protectorate, but it probably won’t be implemented again for the same reason as China.

As you all now, the policy for this mod is to prioritise vanilla then add new things (if possible, don’t touch vanilla files). The idea for this expansion is to make it feel like an expansion rather than an overhaul though sometimes a few things had to change. One of the big things to throw a wrench into this was the inclusion of Bon and Taoists. The former is more of a meh and something annoying than game breaking. The latter on the other hand fundamentally broke how the Chinese Daoic religions were supposed to work. Both being DLC religions (it’s behind a paywall), just using our own system is not an option as it may circumvent that system which is against the terms and conditions which we modders agreed to. At the moment, we did not come to a final decision on how it ought to look so I decided to go with the vanilla setup and remove our versions as well as the Chinese (Daoic) religion group for the time being.

In terms of cosmetics, since they were not made by Paradox, but rather a fellow modder, we will leave the Chinese Portraits and the Tibetan Portraits as an alternative for those who do not own the expansion pack which brings those packs, at least for now. From what some have said, I have heard that the garb worn by the Chinese were more of the earlier 7th century so I am considering making them an early version like the portrait packs released alongside Charlemagne Expansion packs for the Western and Eastern Europeans. Of course, if Paradox asks we will remove them from the mod.

Of course, not all changes are associated with Jade Dragon. Initially, Tianxia was split into two major projects to ease the workload as well as better manage the resources. These were Sons of Heaven and Khans of Mongolia. Though this did help compartmentalise the project and steer focus as time went on, it was split rather unevenly, where the release of Horse Lords eased (as well as complicated) the focus for the Khans of Mongolia. Now with the release of Jade Dragon doing the same for the Sons of Heaven, I see that there should have been another split. So with this, I am announcing a third project: Mekong Rajas, a project focused on Indo-China. The first major change this project will bring will be the announcement of a new Empire region, Burma. Historically, the regions only ever had kingdoms ruled by the Pagan dynasty (later replaced by the Taungoo dynasty). However, the influence it had during the High Middle Ages shows that the realm had a major influence in the region, deserving a potential to be an empire equal to that of the Khmer. Prior to this change, Burma was part of Tibet which I was really confused and uncomfortable leaving it as.
qanEyV6.jpg

Due to the current state of the mod, I was not able to get a lot of screenshots and instead am relying on my personal thoughts and conjectures for the future in this development diary. It is Christmas so I will at least announce one somewhat positive thing: sign-up for the Closed Alpha Testing will be up now!

We will be starting this with the current state of things as a means of fixing the utter mess as quickly as possible. This means that the testers will be “working” more than playing. First, we will accept only a handful of testers to look for major game-breaking bugs as well as root issues of crashes. Then we will expand to the more rudimentary things such as stupid mistakes which we missed. Once we start moving closer to the Closed Beta, things like AARs will be encouraged as well though don’t expect those to live nor last long due to the nature of unfinished products.

Anyways, that’s it for today. Again, Merry Christmas and have a Happy Gregorian New Year!

Link:
Sign-Up for Closed Alpha Testers

Many thanks for this update on how the mod is coming along. Adding a third project to compensate for Jade Dragon sounds good to me, I look forward to seeing more of Mekong Rajas. As always, keep up the good work.

Both being DLC religions (it’s behind a paywall), just using our own system is not an option as it may circumvent that system which is against the terms and conditions which we modders agreed to.
Is there no way to check whether the player has Jade Dragon or not? You could take the HIP way and make an installer that checks for that stuff.

Hey guys,currently I’m playing a mod called ‘Chinese Bureaucracy MKIII’.It’s created by a Chinese player and it’s posted on baidu.Some of it’s features are quite neat and can probably be useful for the mod.The author of that mod managed to make it so that all adult Chinese characters can get a bureaucrat modifier or a chinese strategist modifier if they have high stewardship or martial.You can get both if you have both high martial and stewardship. The author also made it so that anyone who married your children (if you are playing as a Chinese empire) will get the imperial guard.I think stuff it would be awesome if things like that are incorporated into this mod as well.