• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
when do we expect open alpha? :)

When the political borders and the top-tier rulers are correctly established for the Vanilla Bookmarks, though I may consider doing it just for the 1066 Bookmark if it helps the progression of the mod. Do remember however, being Open Alpha, it will be rather barebones as well as it being barely functional.

Will India's size be corrected and by extension Asia's?

What do you mean?

Netflix's Marco Polo renewed my interest in this mod.

Cool. Still haven't really read up on Marco Polo, probably should do that at some stage...

Just dropping in to gloat about my mod's release!

Mwahahahahahahaha!

Well well well, who would have though? Regardless, congratulations on its release! I trust that it not only meets, but goes beyond people's expectations.

Figured I might as well toss a little bit of coal in the furnace and post what I've done for history files on my part. Without further ado: SE Asia and the slow advance of the Thai people.

The Khmer Empire at its height under Jayavarman VII:

paDmuHd.jpg

Sukhothai at its height: Note the Pagan kingdom has collapsed. Sukhothai's northern borders still need to be revised. Sources I've been working through seem to disagree where exactly modern day Laos' loyalties lay at this time, so it's going to take some figuring out.

M5XlZQX.jpg

Just dropping by to wish you and your staff the best of luck at completing this ambitiously daunting expansion mod.

I'd truly, truly love to help out and feel that nagging call of duty, but I've learned from numerous past experiences that I simply do not have the attention span, dedication, or sense of responsibility to work in an organized mod team; at best, I can work freelance, as I'm obsessively motivated in short bursts but can shut down capriciously as time goes on)... not to mention I'm also extremely self-centered, so I do things my way or not at all (I'm not a team-player unless I get paid to be one--then I'd throw in a smile, too!)

So, alas, moral support and suggestions are all I can offer. Look forward to an alpha release.

This is so sweet omg

You did not actually answer the question! When can we expect open alpha?

You did not actually answer the question! When can we expect open alpha?

It depends on what Lumberking decides will be the milestone necessary for releasing it. I personally would be all for letting people poke and prod once 1066's title history is complete - which it almost is - but it's up to him.

It depends on what Lumberking decides will be the milestone necessary for releasing it. I personally would be all for letting people poke and prod once 1066's title history is complete - which it almost is - but it's up to him.

But when will that be?! I WANT THIS SO HYDRAULIC FRACTURING BAD

Sons of Heaven Development Diary 2: Cultures & Religions
Sons of Heaven Development Diary 2: Cultures & Religions

I hope everyone has had an awesome Christmas and New Years holidays. It's been about twenty days since the developers of Paradox have gotten back to work even announcing a new expansion pack for Europa Universalis IV, entitled "El Dorado". To show that this mod is anything but dead (as Forkis enthusiastically showed us with his working in progress screenshots), it is time for a second development diary for the flagship project of this mod, Sons of Heaven. Today we shall be talking about two important topics of this mod: cultures and religions.

Cultures

Cultures is a bit of a hot topic for Crusader Kings II in the forums with arguments ranging from "why are x, y, z not in" or "why are x y instead of z" to "what is the point of cultures", et cetera. Since this mod is adding the other half of the mega-continent, it will only serve to fuel the fire and as such we shall only talk about what this mod does.

2015-01-2500001.jpg
2015-01-2500002.jpg
2015-01-2500003.jpg
2015-01-2500004.jpg
2015-01-2500005.jpg
2015-01-2500006.jpg
2015-01-2500007.jpg
2015-01-2500008.jpg
2015-01-2500009.jpg
2015-01-2500010.jpg
2015-01-2500011.jpg
2015-01-2500012.jpg
2015-01-2500013.jpg

The Chinese portraits were done by rein005 who made the mod Chinese Portraits, while the rest were done by the founder of this mod, .Me, using the Chinese Portrait Mod as its base. Doing the portraits are quite tricky in that not only does it involve technical skills, but also requires extreme caution unless one is doing it from scratch since otherwise one may run into legal troubles (read the Terms & Conditions for mod distribution).

Similar to India, though to a lesser extent, China itself has at least a dozens of cultures having a rich history of people migrating from different areas, only coming together with the shared interest in the so-called "Middle Kingdom". This mod only adds about half of that under the cultural group designated as "Chinese". Outside of China, we have the Koreans in the Eastern peninsula beneath Manchuria and the Japanese with their group of islands off the coast. West, we have the Tibeto-Burmans inhabiting the mountainous area while in the South we have the Tai-Kadais, Mon-Khmers, and the Malayo-Polynesians.

2015-01-2500014.jpg

2015-01-2500015.jpg

2015-01-2500016.jpg

Religions

Religions in Crusader Kings II has always been (and always will be) the hot contention in the forums with newcomers accusing the developers of locking contents like those big evil companies do (I'm guilty of this at first as well) along the lines of "day one DLC" while veterans criticize its inaccuracy (again, I do this as well). Once again, this mod will be throwing a gallon of gasoline on the open flame for the sake of it because why not.

The Rajas of India DLC introduced an interest mechanic when it came to religions where instead of strife in Europe and the Levant, there could be harmony thus came about the Dharmic religion. In the Sons of Heaven, the main religions will follow this to an extent with the new Daoic religions, introducing three new religions in this new religion group: Amidism, Confucianism, and Taoism. Daoic religions borrows several features from the Dharmic religions, such as the subjugation CBs and being able to convert within their religion groups with the Amidism being able to convert to or from Mahayana Buddhism. In game, Amidism represents the Chinese influenced Buddhism with two schools of thoughts to choose from: Pure Land, and Dhyana (Chinese Chan, Japanese Zen, Korean Seon, or Viet Thien). Confucianism and Taoism represents the organised forms of folk religions which has spread and influenced much of the Far East with dozens of schools of thoughts to choose from such as agriculturalism, legalism, naturalism, et cetera (working in progress). Like the Dharmic religions, Daoic religions are not able to use the Holy War CB as the concept of a religious war was somewhat foreign as religious beliefs could be picked and chosen at whim (besides, who needs religion to declare war), instead relying on subjugations and County conquests. If possible, mechanics such as Ducal revocations and Decadence will be added to the Daoic religions, but that is up to Paradox to allow whether such mechanics should be available to modders.

The Daoic religions are not the only new religions introduced with the Sons of Heaven. With the expansion of new indigenous cultures, the Pagan religion group has been expanded nearly twice its size with indigenous religions of the bear worshipping Ainu, secluded Melanesian, and the feministic Ryukyuan. Also included within the Pagan group are the folk religions which adopted some of the concepts of the Dharmic and/or Daoic religions: Chinese Shenist, Japanese Shinto, Korean Muist, Tibetan Bon, and the Viet Thanist. Amongst these, the one given special attention are the Japanese Shinto which unlike the others starts pre-reformed having the Tenno of the Chrysanthemum Throne being both the head of the religion and the ruling Emperor of Japan, having characteristics of the Islamic Caliphs and the Norse Fylkirs.

2015-01-2500017.jpg

2015-01-2500018.jpg

2015-01-2500019.jpg

Well, that is it for now folks. I will think of a good topic to talk about for the next development diary as well as a further announcement on the upcoming Open Alpha. Until then!

Very nice culture map! But shouldn't those Thai people in China be replaced with Miao or Hakka speakers? And for Indonesia, surely there will be Malays, Javanese, etc.? The portraits look fantastic as well! Excellent work done overall mate!

Very nice culture map! But shouldn't those Thai people in China be replaced with Miao or Hakka speakers? And for Indonesia, surely there will be Malays, Javanese, etc.? The portraits look fantastic as well! Excellent work done overall mate!

I believe so.
On the front page, it's written that Malay, Minangkabau, Acehnese, and Dayak people are going to be included in the mod.

I believe so.
On the front page, it's written that Malay, Minangkabau, Acehnese, and Dayak people are going to be included in the mod.

Hopefully the Javanese are included for the island of Java. Acehnese, as far as my understanding goes, are a subset of the Malay people, where the Javanese are different entirely from the Malays, although sharing somewhat similar backgrounds. They also constitute the largest ethnic group in Indonesia with over 40% of the population in modern times. I think that warrants inclusion, perhaps even some unique mechanics (maybe relating, too, to the Majapahit empire).

Hopefully the Javanese are included for the island of Java. Acehnese, as far as my understanding goes, are a subset of the Malay people, where the Javanese are different entirely from the Malays, although sharing somewhat similar backgrounds. They also constitute the largest ethnic group in Indonesia with over 40% of the population in modern times. I think that warrants inclusion, perhaps even some unique mechanics (maybe relating, too, to the Majapahit empire).

I'm not sure about that. But from the linguistic perspective, the Acehnese are related to Cham people from Cambodia.

...But shouldn't those Thai people in China be replaced with Miao or Hakka speakers?...

There are speakers of Thai languages in China. Hakka are Chinese and Miao are something completely different.

So, no, they should not be replaced with Hakka or Miao.

Looks great!

I agree that the Miao/Hmong should be included. They were really numerous up until EUIV times, when they became more sinicised.

Also, I feel that Shenism and Taoism are so close together in terms of who they worship and what they do that I think there is no point separating them, let alone putting them into separate religious groups. After all, in Taost temples, Chinese folk gods are worshipped, often local ones too (cf. city god temples).

I'm not sure about that. But from the linguistic perspective, the Acehnese are related to Cham people from Cambodia.

You are right, actually, yes! My bad. They are part of the Cham family of languages.

But I do think the Javanese should be included, as they make up a huge percentage of Indonesians and historically have been very important in the archipelago.