• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Alright. When can that be expected? In the meantime, I'll do preemptive drafts and research since there isn't much else keeping me busy at present. On the subject, I know Paradox has a forumwide ban against swastikas do to their Nazi connotations; however, do explicitly religious sauvastikas fall under that?

Can you cite me this rule and link for confirmation?

There is a mention of it in the general forum rules, though it's not the one I meant. I can't seem to find the latter, mostly because google+paradoxplaza=difficulties. I think, however, it would be best for me just to ask a moderator.

What of my other question?

There is a mention of it in the general forum rules, though it's not the one I meant. I can't seem to find the latter, mostly because google+paradoxplaza=difficulties. I think, however, it would be best for me just to ask a moderator.

Yeah, might be the best to ask. However, I'm going to say it shouldn't affect mods since we're not really going to display those symbols on this forum anyways.

What of my other question?

I'm just going to do some clean-up, but do expect an Internal Build soon-ish. It'll probably be up by tomorrow if it's late.

Alright. When can that be expected? In the meantime, I'll do preemptive drafts and research since there isn't much else keeping me busy at present. On the subject, I know Paradox has a forumwide ban against swastikas do to their Nazi connotations; however, do explicitly religious sauvastikas fall under that?

There are swastikas in vanilla so I assume it's fine.

what kljunas said. unlike plenty of western governments (mainly Germany though) PI doesn't have its head up its ass when it comes to the ACTUAL meaning of what we see as the swastika. for safety though i'd say just stick to having the sauvastikas be more colorful, and if you plan on adding more variations of them to the gfx, just keep them parallel to the top/bottom and sides.

So, if a mod included modified versions of the Indian Coat of Arms files, that section would need to be censored? That seems illogical.
Yes It would need to be censored.
I would say a reasonableness standard could be used, but people on the internet are not reasonable, and therefore one clear rule needs to be in place, that is no swastikas.
Only illogical until you try and monitor the rules for a million people, who are not always logical or reasonable.
Does that suck for the vast majority that would not abuse the system, ya, but then a lot of what we have to do in life to avoid the idiots making even a bigger problem kind of sucks.

Apparently, it's always banned no exceptions.

I believe a Victoria 2 mod got permission, due to its setting, to use Swastikas, so I suppose if you ask an admin you might be able to have them, as in this sense a Swastika (Svaustika?) isn't exactly promoting fascism. Probably just try to keep 'em out of any front page screenshots.

Last edited:

huh. wow. well, with that said, i guess it really doesn't matter much since the Indian swastika ingame is pretty much all you need.

EDIT: what old man Jenkins just said. that rule could just apply to screenshots

I'd like to help out! I am most qualified for (and interested in) doing research on who ruled what in Japan, but I could do dynastic China, too. So if you still need someone for that, just say the word.

Sounds good.
Can there be a version of the mod without the readding of the Assassination button?

Sons of Heaven Development Diary 1: Overview

2014-12-1200000.jpg

Hello folks, it has been a while since last time I posted something here so I think it's time for the first development diary for Sons of Heaven, the flagship project for this mod (ie China component), Tianxia: Silk Road Expansion. Like the previous zeroth diary, this entry won't cover all that much, but rather give a general overview on what is to come.

So China! This project is what some fans have been screaming at Paradox Developers for while others screaming against. Whether you call it Crusader Mings, Songs of Crusade, or Jihad of Tang, this is going to be one of the hottest mod project out there. Unfortunately, I am not a Paradox employee and this expansion is very unlikely to be picked up by the official Paradox developers. Fortunately, however, I am a modder and I currently have a pretty good set of mod team who are very much capable at doing this stuff (still recruiting however). Now, going back on topic, the previous map expansion, the Rajas of India DLC changed the way the map worked by skewing the Eastern portions of the map. By taking advantage of this, this project further extends the map, continuing with the strange map projection Paradox has managed.

2014-12-1200001.jpg
2014-12-1200002.jpg

Now, as you can see, this is not a mere "China Mod", but far more in that it also encompasses all the Far East and a large portion of the South East as well. So not only can you live out your wet dream of duking it out against the Neo-Romans (Byzantines) as China, but live out your other wet dreams of playing Asian nations in a primarily European setting game.

Thanks to the strange map projection, the addition of the new map does not feel unnatural despite it needing to get used to, as if the map extension itself was an obvious next step towards the evolution of this wonderful game, Crusader Kings II. At the moment, there are a minimum amount of provinces and quite a bit of wasteland. It is intended that the amount of provinces to be increased so that for every two provinces in the equivalent areas in Europa Universalis IV, there will be three provinces so a ratio of 2:3 meaning the final version may have nearly twice as many provinces as it does now (a significant amount compared to the Rajas of India), though since the intent here is to make something as vanilla as possible (the what if Paradox did this themselves), don't expect anything like HIP SWMH or CK2+.

2014-12-1200003.jpg

2014-12-1200004.jpg

2014-12-1200005.jpg

Map extension won't be the only thing about this project. Cultures, religions (folk pagan, other pagan, Daoic, et cetera), decisions, events, graphics, and a whole load of things associated with both the Far East and the South East will be part of this grand project.

Of course, this may mean that there will possibly (probably/definitely) be quite a performance cost. However, since this is an experiment and also there is actually quite a demand, it really ought to be totally worth it. Probably...

Anyways, that's it for now. The next development diary will either be a continuation of Sons of Heaven, or the first development diary for the accompanying project: Khans of Mongolia.

Sons of Heaven Development Diary 1: Overview
Great! And you can run it without any big hits?

Note: I still think the map projection could be changed a bit to encompass more of Asia and Africa.

There are?

what kljunas said. unlike plenty of western governments (mainly Germany though) PI doesn't have its head up its ass when it comes to the ACTUAL meaning of what we see as the swastika. for safety though i'd say just stick to having the sauvastikas be more colorful, and if you plan on adding more variations of them to the gfx, just keep them parallel to the top/bottom and sides.

Religions have always been exempt to these laws though since they can't ban religious imagery.

That seems rather silly considering the whole point of the rule is to abide by the various laws of Europe, and since the use of Swastikas here is to represent religions, it should be fine considering it is legal to do so as the law cannot ban the use of images for religions.

I believe a Victoria 2 mod got permission, due to its setting, to use Swastikas, so I suppose if you ask an admin you might be able to have them, as in this sense a Swastika (Svaustika?) isn't exactly promoting fascism. Probably just try to keep 'em out of any front page screenshots.

Yeah, never really intended to show off any of the religious icons anyways. :p

I'd like to help out! I am most qualified for (and interested in) doing research on who ruled what in Japan, but I could do dynastic China, too. So if you still need someone for that, just say the word.

I've added you to the group and sent you a private message, respond to those.

Sounds good.
Can there be a version of the mod without the readding of the Assassination button?

The public release likely won't have the defines.lua file and besides it is easy enough to mod by either editing the file itself (search "assassin") or deleting the file.

Great! And you can run it without any big hits?

Note: I still think the map projection could be changed a bit to encompass more of Asia and Africa.

What more of Asia should be added? Considering the Far East and the South East isn't even done (in fact, none of the project is near completion), I'd say it is very low on the priority list to do Africa. Once we finish what we have started (or get it to working condition), then we can consider.

As far as I know, they were legitimate. According to Wikipedia, it "grew out of the former Kingdom of Funan and Chenla, at times ruled over and/or vassalized most of mainland Southeast Asia, parts of modern-day Laos, Thailand, and southern Vietnam."

They were a major power of their time, with art, culture, and architecture. To quote Wikipedia again, "Recently satellite imaging has revealed Angkor to be the largest pre-industrial urban center in the world." <-- If by this they mean bigger than Roma, these guys are awesome. (Note that China, Indonesia, and India combined are currently home to roughly half of the world's population.)

Realistically, I think Southeast Asia should have a lot of manpower, but less naval power (Most early wars were fought on land, unless it was a war between, say, China and Japan.)

What more of Asia should be added? Considering the Far East and the South East isn't even done (in fact, none of the project is near completion), I'd say it is very low on the priority list to do Africa. Once we finish what we have started (or get it to working condition), then we can consider.
Well, more isles/sea to the east and south. The Phillipines could be more covered and same for the islands in Indonesia.