• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
This has the makings of an awesome mod. If you guys still have job openings, I would gladly help out for Indonesia and Malaysia.

Thank god, I really had no idea what I was doing there.

I r8 8/8 and subscribe.

EDIT: Also i'd really like to help doing anything, but i just started playing CKII and my only exp for modding is eu4 modding.

Speaking as somsone who started with eu4 modding experience alone, it's actually really easy to get the hang of ck2.

Khans of Mongolia Development Diary 1: Overview
Khans of Mongolia Development Diary 1: Overview

2014-12-2400000.jpg

Well, it's that time of the year again. So to give everyone a teasing present as well as keeping interest for this afloat, I decided to write up the first development diary for Khans of Mongolia, the accompanying project for this mod (ie the Steppe component), Tianxia: Silk Road Expansion. Like the previous two diaries, this will not cover all that much nor give out any details, but once again give an overview on what to expect.

2014-12-2400001.jpg

Like the China component, this area has also been high up on the wishlists of Paradox fanatics. However, unlike China, the Asian Steppe has never had much in terms of contentions and as such did not usually meet with hostile oppositions like those seen in the suggestion thread in regards to China. The only objection to this of course being the necessity of adding China.

As it has been mentioned before, this will simply continue on with the map projection invented by Paradox. With most of the Steppe already being drawn in vanilla, it was just a matter of adding playable provinces, removing wastelands, and simply extending the map Eastwards. Unfortunately however, the number of provinces are still not quite adequate which hopefully will be rectified by the time of either the Open Alpha or the Open Beta. As it was mentioned before also, the intent for the amount of provinces is that for every two provinces in the equivalent areas in Europa Universalis IV, so a ratio of 2:3 of course don't expect anything like HIP SWMH or CK2+.

2014-12-2400002.jpg

2014-12-2400003.jpg

Map extension is the primary focus for this project, but with it will also come with new cultures, events, titles, and some kind of refinement of the Horde mechanics, if possible.

That's it folks and it won't be for some time until development diaries for Khans of Mongolia come again. Next time, we'll look into the development process for the Sons of Heaven and what's new.

I wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! (Well, at least for those who follow the Gregorian Calendar ;) )

With the new moddability introduced, taking back the assasination button seems unnecessary, you could just add in your own diplomatic action that triggers events.

They were a major power of their time, with art, culture, and architecture. To quote Wikipedia again, "Recently satellite imaging has revealed Angkor to be the largest pre-industrial urban center in the world." <-- If by this they mean bigger than Roma, these guys are awesome. (Note that China, Indonesia, and India combined are currently home to roughly half of the world's population.)

Realistically, I think Southeast Asia should have a lot of manpower, but less naval power (Most early wars were fought on land, unless it was a war between, say, China and Japan.)

The city of Angkor was indeed a huge urban sprawl, but that doesn't translate into population. For such a impressive urban boundary, the city itself was extremely sparsely populated (a factor as to why it later collapsed). At its height, it was inhabited by only a few hundred thousand people. Rome, on the other hand, was a density-based urban centre due to the Servian and later Aurelian walls, and thus never faced a urban sprawl situation.

If u want to have a comparable China to ck2 India this how u should set up holdings in 1066 start and max holdings :

China proper 600 at start and 1200 max
Tibet 30 at start and 30 max
Uighuristan 50 at start and 70 max
Mongolia 30 at start and 60 max
Inner Mongolia 100 at start and 125 max
Manchuria 100 at start and 125 max
korea 75 at start and 120 max
Japan 150 at start and 450 max
Indochina 200 at start and 400 max
Malaya 160 at start and 320 max

Indochina and Malaya were more populated than Japan by 1000?

Indochina and Malaya were more populated than Japan by 1000?

Modern day Java is more heavily populated than Japan by ~15 million. Present-day out of control population boom aside, that soil's amazingly fertile and has been exploitable for millenia. SE asia, while probably not quite as dense, still had some impressive population centers, and also has quite a bit more surface area than Japan anyway.

Last edited:
My estimates are from the Atlas of World Population History:
Malaya 4 mil around 1000 and 8 mil around 1500
Indochina 5 mil around 1000 and 10 mil around 1500
Japan 4,5 mil around 1000 and 17 around 1500

I have taken 10 holdings for 1 mil in china, 30 in korea and japan, 40 in tibet, uighuristan, malaya, indochina, 50 in inner mongolia and manchuria, 60 in mongolia.
Paradox has given several regions more holdings compared to others, so persia or central asia has 30 holdings for 1 mil pop, while india has 10 holdings for 1 mil pop and the caucasus or palestine has 100 holdings for 1 mil pop.

Ooh. So the finished product is going to look a fair bit like Umbra Spherae but without the incredibly squished up Europe, since no Africa?

Well, the intent of this mod is an experiment of some sort on a what if Paradox decided to do another map extension or ten. To an extent, I do believe that it was the intent of Umbra Spherae to do something like that, but got behind on updates eventually becoming what it is today.

By the time the first two project for this mod is done, expect a Rajas of India style expansion (with limitations of course) with the focus being on the Far East Asia, South East Asia, and the Asian Steppes.

Would you like to use the WTWSMS Migration events for the Steppes?

I wouldn't know what the mechanics will be like considering your mod with a really long name is so secretive. :p

Could you also add a few more provinces to vanilla map? I really feel theres too little in Ireland, the rest of the map is fine, more or less.

No.