• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Only because the Chinese tolerated it. I'd be tempted to call them petty emperors in this context. They were an empire the same way East Anglia was a kingdom.
True. Vietnam should get the same treatment.

Reactions:
Only because the Chinese tolerated it. I'd be tempted to call them petty emperors in this context. They were an empire the same way East Anglia was a kingdom.

this. it wasn't until 1897 that the Joseon dynasty exited the chinese tributary system and declared korea a true empire since it was becoming clear that Qing china was falling apart. which is kinda sad since they quickly fell under the rule of japan and were fully annexed only 13 years later.

this. it wasn't until 1897 that the Joseon dynasty exited the chinese tributary system and declared korea a true empire since it was becoming clear that Qing china was falling apart. which is kinda sad since they quickly fell under the rule of japan and were fully annexed only 13 years later.
Wasn't that done under the instructions of Japan to begin with? the Sino-Japanese War was fought over Korea after all.

Actually, it seems like korean kingdoms could enjoy prosperity in two cases:
- When China was divided: the most powerful "korean" (although the modern "nationalities" didn't make a lot of sens back then) state, Goguryeo, prospered after the fall of the han dynasty until the reunification of China by the Sui and the Tang.
-When conflicts with China were avoided through the recognition of chinese "suzerainety" (but it differs from a western type of vassal relationship since it was more perceived as a relation between an elder and a younger brother in the confucian perspective of the chinese tributary system).

Actually the problem with a game like crusader kings might be that the cyclic divisions of china, although being important to create periodic expansion opportunities for neighbouring countries are hard to simulate since kingdoms and empires in this game are thought according to the european ones. That might justify the idea of making them a little more powerful than in reality in order not to be swallowed by China forever. Once again , such a solution could seem frustrating since it might feel less " real" and "immersive". I think that the whole point on making east asian countries gameplay possibilities diverse would be to simulate the division periods in chinese history since the dynasties hardly got older than 300 years.

I see that northern Honshu has independent Ainu tribes(they should be called Emishi, I think), but weren't they basically subjugated by the Japanese by the 11th century?

Everything you see right now and will see until Beta are all work in progress, as such are subject to change.

Reactions:
Wasn't that done under the instructions of Japan to begin with? the Sino-Japanese War was fought over Korea after all.

nope. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_Empire

the koreans enacted the Gwangmu reforms in a crash modernization bid to reform just about every facet of the country. japan, fearing russian expansion and influence in korea that put the in fact, japanese prince Itō Hirobumi (first PM of japan) and his faction wanted korea to remain a protectorate, but the increasing power of the army favored total annexation.

Reactions:
2AF3D5960DC7FF3E7BD6C3A38DA9C60953F637B1

Deathlinger, awesome map. :D
But there are many provinces that have incorrect names.
"Mentawai", for instance, is the name of the islands, south of Nias.
Could I help you with the naming?

Deathlinger, awesome map. :D
But there are many provinces that have incorrect names.
"Mentawai", for instance, is the name of the islands, south of Nias.
Could I help you with the naming?
Sure! Namings in this area were changed for some reason not by me. So any help would be useful!

Development Diary 4: Mechanics Part I
Development Diary 4: Mechanics Part I

Happy Fódàn everyone!

Today we will be covering a bit of game mechanics implemented thus far with this mod. Although this will be an overall diary, the mechanics part will be mostly on the Sons of Heaven Project as that is the area which we have been working the most on. To start things off, here is a screenshot:

JgXyHrY.jpg

The new Chinese Daoic religion group behaves much like the Indian Dharmic religion group in that they have tolerance towards each other, can convert between each other, and they all have religious branches. Not only that, the Daoic Amidist religion can also convert to the Dharmic Buddhist religion and vice versa (if the latter is also of the Mayahana branch) to establish the closeness and similarities between the two religious groups.

NecDmq5.jpg

The mechanics for changing religious branches is exactly the same as the Indian religions, if you have enough prestige, then through the intrigue tab, you can change your branch. Currently, Confucians have four Ethics to choose from while Amidists and Taoists only have two. There are plans to add more for Taoism later in the future. Unlike the Indian religions however, the Chinese Confucian and Taoist religions have heresies in the form of Neo-Confucianism and Neo-Taoism. Though nothing substantial has been added yet, there are plans to add some kind of flavour to give incentive to convert to those religions. Another difference added, was tolerance. Daoic religions have tolerance towards Dharmic and Pagan religions. This was done to not only portray the similarities and the influences the two groups had on each other, but also to emphasise that these group did not consider religion to be an exclusive practice, but more of a philosophical guideline thus we saw a lot of syncretism between local traditions and what not.

CAyI6Z0.jpg

Now on to Japan...

5mf5gAu.jpg

Japan is somewhat unique compared to the other areas added. Contrary to popular belief, Japan was not fully feudalistic like that of Europe, that would come over a century later with the Kamakura Shogunate. Instead, for the earlier start dates, Japan is in an awkward situation of having Chinese Imperial System, while trying to have its unique form which would later devolve into feudalism not too dissimilar to medieval Europe. Depending on the start date, Japan starts under Imperial Adminstration, but the power lies within the hands of the regents. In-game, this is represented as a king-tier viceroyalty who has direct control over the whole realm except for the Imperial capital. There are plans to add much more, but this is what I have for now.

That essentially completes the diary in regards to what we have done so far, but some of you might be wondering what "Fódàn" is. Well boys and girls, Fódàn (佛誕) is Chinese for what we call Buddha's Birthday to commemorate the birth of Siddhartha Guatama, the founder of the Buddhist religion. So in an essence, it is a Buddhist Christmas, Buddhamas perhaps? Well, regardless we the development team have a gift in the form of an important announcement: the Open Alpha will be available to the forum as of this diary being published:

ZZxdRGy.jpg

Do note that the mod is very much in Alpha and as such quite bare bones. Most of the regions save for Siberia will be playable including some vassals for the Stamford Bridge Bookmark. There are known issues such as Tartaria displaying it's name across India, completely out of its actual realm. Also, some pagan religions will not be reformable due to certain provinces only having one holdings. Currently, the things we are looking for are game crashes, missing localisation, and border inaccuracies. If you encounter these, please report them in the new
Bug Report thread. Things such as features should go in the Suggestions thread.

For instructions and other information, go to the front page. Other than that, thank you for your support and patience, I hope you enjoy!

Download:

First Open Alpha
Content Pack

Reactions:
Tartaria displaying it's name across India, completely out of its actual realm.
Have you checked that you don't have any duplicate names, IDs or colour codes?

The game keeps crashing two or three years after the beginning... (I tried 867 and 1066, with ainu tribes)

I don't know if it's related but I was a vassal of japan when it crashed

Last edited:
I'm not sure if this is a bug or intentional, but the province of Inarya in Eastern Africa is Orthodox as opposed to Miaphysite.

EDIT: I also just realized that Japan is a theocracy, which I'm fairly certain is a bug.

Last edited:
I love the addition of tolerance, it works well for the region. The king-tier viceroyalty idea for Japan is really interesting; sounds like an extra challenge of playing as the Emperor of Japan.

Congrats on this Alpha release.