• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Happy Gregorian New Year everyone!

Again, sorry for the lack of communications. Although I promised an Open Alpha release on Childermas, I was unable to get a working version up so I must apologise for my failure. However, I do have an announcement to make. Current developer of Umbra Spherae, the original map extension mod for Crusader Kings II, have approached me and made a proposal: a merger between Tianxia: Silk Road Expansion and Umbra Spherae. After announcing and consulting with the team and the blessings from the founders of both mods, I have decided to go ahead with the merger. This does mean there will be a significant delay in releasing anything working, but with the amount of content that comes with such merger will mean in a significantly higher quality of content.

Although I could not produce any results, which I again apologise for, once the merger goes smoothly look forward to the first Open Alpha release at the Year of the Monkey!

Reactions:
A question: what projection and map will you use?

Reactions:
oh hell yeah! i upgraded my computer a couple weeks ago and having seen umbra spherae, i'll be happy to play a full CK2 world at high speed.

Reactions:
Are you still going to use the map projection from Tianxia? Umbra Spherae seems interesting, but my problem with it is that Europe looks so small (of course, Europe is smaller than Asia, but I feel like Europe is too small in Umbra Spherae).

Are you still going to use the map projection from Tianxia? Umbra Spherae seems interesting, but my problem with it is that Europe looks so small (of course, Europe is smaller than Asia, but I feel like Europe is too small in Umbra Spherae).
Not to mention stretched and just generally weird-looking.

Reactions:
Any projection of a significant portion of a sphere onto a plane is going to be distorted, it's just a matter of where and what (distance, area, maybe other things, I'm not a cartographer) is distorted.

It looks like the Typus map uses a Mercator projection, which has major, major distortion in the far north (and far south, but that isn't relevant to CK2)

Reactions:
So is this mod going to be abandoned in favor of Umbra Spherae? Or are they going to be merged under a new name (or the same)?

They have been merged, with Tianxia being the primary name and team, while content will come from Umbra Spherae, it is very unlikely the projection will be used. The US mod will no longer reveice any updates unless Camara decides upon it; but for now the US mod and myself will be contributing to Tianxia because of their similar vision.

Reactions:
merged.

and i hope tianxias' map projection comes through too.

We are starting to work on the first details, but it's very likely we will use Tianxia projection or another similar. In Umbra Spherae people didn't like how Europe was shown in the map and Tianxia solves that problem. Tianxia rotates the far east a bit but in a medieval world that's actually an interesting twist in the cartography that wasn't THAT well known.

Reactions:
Do you have anyone working on the eu4 converter? If not I could volunteer. I've never done it before but considering the game uses plain text files it shouldn't be that hard once I get I look at files involved. But before that could be done you need to finalise the map.

Do you have anyone working on the eu4 converter? If not I could volunteer. I've never done it before but considering the game uses plain text files it shouldn't be that hard once I get I look at files involved. But before that could be done you need to finalise the map.
The EU4 converter is not actually hard to work with. Sadly there is no wiki-page for it, but you only have to look into vanilla.

Reactions:
Updated the front page to reflect the recent merger.

Reactions: