• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Haven't heard of this regency plot or regency mechanics good on you though since regents in china would have puppet emperors. Is their a new version?

We don't have any special regency mechanics in China, and as things currently stand there aren't any plans to add any such mechanics in China for a number of reasons I brought up recently (and even if we decided differently it'd not be something that'd we'd do anytime soon). We do, however, have such mechanics in Japan, since regents were kind of a big deal there.

As for a new version, the most recent proper release was in September. There was a "new release" roughly a week ago, but it accidentally contained a bunch of things it should not (WIP content missing huge chunks, at least one internal "experiment" that might never lead anywhere that's not properly contained, several known bugs introduced during development, etc.).

Given that it'd be a significant amount of work and testing to get that version into something that could be released (even using a "Cut everything WIP" approach rather than a "Finish everything WIP" approach) and that it'd not be a significant improvement on the last proper release (and would lack fixes for some bugs discovered in that version that should be possible to fix) I'm of the opinion that a rushed "update" is a worse idea than re-releasing the most recent proper version with a shiny new version number and then doing a proper update in the future that's both more extensive and more polished, and unless LumberKing tells me otherwise that means a release won't be rushed.

We don't have any special regency mechanics in China, and as things currently stand there aren't any plans to add any such mechanics in China for a number of reasons I brought up recently (and even if we decided differently it'd not be something that'd we'd do anytime soon). We do, however, have such mechanics in Japan, since regents were kind of a big deal there.

As for a new version, the most recent proper release was in September. There was a "new release" roughly a week ago, but it accidentally contained a bunch of things it should not (WIP content missing huge chunks, at least one internal "experiment" that might never lead anywhere that's not properly contained, several known bugs introduced during development, etc.).

Given that it'd be a significant amount of work and testing to get that version into something that could be released (even using a "Cut everything WIP" approach rather than a "Finish everything WIP" approach) and that it'd not be a significant improvement on the last proper release (and would lack fixes for some bugs discovered in that version that should be possible to fix) I'm of the opinion that a rushed "update" is a worse idea than re-releasing the most recent proper version with a shiny new version number and then doing a proper update in the future that's both more extensive and more polished, and unless LumberKing tells me otherwise that means a release won't be rushed.
Can I have that release to replace the second newsest one from a month ago.

Can I have that release to replace the second newsest one from a month ago.

I'm pretty sure we didn't release a new version a month ago (not even if "month" is used very broadly), so I have no idea which version you're talking about...

If I kill Frodak at the LNY, will I be able to loot the lair? Also, when does he spawn?

If you manage to get to the lair before everyone else you'll get to loot it. If not, you'll just have to go back home empty-handed. The AI isn't terribly eager to set out for the lair in general (partially because it's pretty likely to get them killed), but if Fredak is dead they'll be a bit more willing, and it's possible someone already is on their way when the last LNY attack happens or that someone else has a much shorter distance to travel.

As for when he spawns, I told you that fairly recently...

As a Vietnamese, I am glad to be able to start in Vietnam and reenact the repelling of Southern Han invader. However, I am at a loss as to how to do so, as the tactical masterpiece that was the Battle of Bach Dang River, like the Divine Wind, cannot be replicated in game due to the limited naval combat system. So how can I repel the Southern Hàn, and for that matter, where is Ngo Quyen, the historical liberator of Vietnam?

As a Vietnamese, I am glad to be able to start in Vietnam and reenact the repelling of Southern Han invader. However, I am at a loss as to how to do so, as the tactical masterpiece that was the Battle of Bach Dang River, like the Divine Wind, cannot be replicated in game due to the limited naval combat system. So how can I repel the Southern Hàn, and for that matter, where is Ngo Quyen, the historical liberator of Vietnam?

If Southern Han goes after Annam (it's not guaranteed that they will, though Liu Yan/Gaozu starts with a weak claim he might be able to press if there's a civil war/etc.), they'll probably win. Much as in vanilla, wars won't always go the way they did historically, and trying to set up potential wars to go a certain way isn't really something that's reasonable to do.

Ngo Quyen is landed as a vassal of Duong Dinh Nghe of Annam in the IC start. He's married to Duong Hau, and both Ngo Xuong Ngap and Ngo Xuong Van are also around (Xuong Ngap's sons have been added internally but aren't in the 0.1.1 version).

If Southern Han goes after Annam (it's not guaranteed that they will, though Liu Yan/Gaozu starts with a weak claim he might be able to press if there's a civil war/etc.), they'll probably win. Much as in vanilla, wars won't always go the way they did historically, and trying to set up potential wars to go a certain way isn't really something that's reasonable to do.

Ngo Quyen is landed as a vassal of Duong Dinh Nghe of Annam in the IC start. He's married to Duong Hau, and both Ngo Xuong Ngap and Ngo Xuong Van are also around (Xuong Ngap's sons have been added internally but aren't in the 0.1.1 version).
I think a good solution would be to make Annam Thanist territory at the 967 start. IIRC, Vietnam only started committing itself seriously to Buddhism during the reign of Ly Cong Uan, an orphan raised in a pagoda.

I find it odd that Shugofuren is used for a
female Shugo, as “furen” means “wife” so I think it denotes a spouse more than a shugo regnant.

Also, is there any historical O?

I think a good solution would be to make Annam Thanist territory at the 967 start. IIRC, Vietnam only started committing itself seriously to Buddhism during the reign of Ly Cong Uan, an orphan raised in a pagoda.

It's certainly possible to change the province religion (particularly as it's based on guesswork), but unless we also change the religion (which a quick search doesn't give me any information about) of Duong Dinh Nghe (at the very least) to Thanist as well (which is likely to make any non-Thanist vassals unhappy) it's more likely to weaken Annam than to help them as they'll get higher revolt risk and possibly religious revolts as a result.

I find it odd that Shugofuren is used for a
female Shugo, as “furen” means “wife” so I think it denotes a spouse more than a shugo regnant.

Also, is there any historical O?

To my knowledge (I'd love to be wrong), there weren't any women historically holding the equivalent of the Shugo position, which means it's unlikely that there's a clear example of a better word to use. Technically, "Shugo" would likely be accurate regardless of gender since Japanese isn't a gendered language, but it'd very likely be confusing to use the same term, and thus it's necessary to construct something, and with my very limited (and somewhat rusty) Japanese knowledge I don't really have any ideas for a better construct. Also, unless I misremember how CK2 does ruler title localization (it's been a while since I last did anything related) the localization tags are simply "<title>_<culture>" and "<title>_<culture>_female" (and "vice_royalty_<title>_<culture>" and its female variant) with no special "_consort" version, so whatever we use for "Female Shugo regnant" would also be used for "Wife of a Shugo" (and "Male Shugo regnant" would also be "Husband of a [female Shugo]").

I can't think of any historically verifiable Ō, but considering Japan proper hasn't had kings in recorded history that's to be expected. However, the kings of Ryukyu were "國王" ("Kuni-ō", based on a quick translation, where "kuni" means "country"), and Ō is the Japanese reading of "王" (which is "Wang" in Chinese and means "king" or "Ruler"), which shows up on the King of Na gold seal (which has the Chinese inscription "漢委奴國王") and also in "親魏倭王" (i.e. "Shingi Waō", which is "Ruler of Wa, friend of Wei"), which is one way Queen Himiko (who isn't historically verifiable) is known, which makes me reasonably sure it's the correct term.

It would be nice if the Mandate system was like that of EU4, where one can see all the changes and the factors involved therein, and Mandate raise continuously with time.

There's far too much going into the system to easily show all the factors, and it's meant to be something that's hard to predict or manipulate, which makes it a good idea to keep it hidden. As for it being more continuous, it'd require us to split the modifiers we have into a larger number of modifiers (which is a bit messy), and the calculations are rather costly from a performance standpoint (even after cutting and simplifying things internally), which means it's rather unfeasible to do it more continuously as we really don't want it to be more of a performance drain. The "Your Mandate rating has changed" event is meant to be taken as "We're now pretty certain that your Mandate rating has changed noticeably" rather than something like "Yesterday we were 100 % sure you possessed the Mandate of Heaven, but today we're not so certain".

What new bloodlines are added to the games?

As of 0.1.1:

- We've modified vanilla's Chinese pretender bloodlines a bit and created non-pretender versions, and all relevant pretenders and founding emperors start with an appropriate bloodline (named for the first name of their pretender realm where necessary; for example, Liu Yan/Gaozu of Southern Han has a Yue pretender bloodline) from the appropriate date (Shi Jingtang/Gaozu of (Later) Jin gets his a bit early as it makes sense for him to start as a full pretender).

- We've added Ancestor Veneration bloodlines for our pagans in case they're HF-reformed in an appropriate way (they're copy-pastes of vanilla's bloodlines for those reformations for other pagans).

- We've added bloodlines for Wanyan Hanpu, Go of Balhae, the Srivijaya and Sailendra dynasties, the Fujiwara regents (specifically, it's added for both Fujiwara no Yoshifusa and Fujiwara no Mototsune, and all the rest are Mototsune's biological descendants), Taejo of Goryeo (he gets it if he wins his starting war, which is pretty easy, and all later Goryeo monarchs are his biological descendants), Sang Sapurba (he's not around in any supported start), Minamoto no Yoshiie (a.k.a Hachimantaro), Minamoto no Yoritomo (he's not around in any supported start), Anawrahta of Bagan, the Sakanoue clan (they have a Chinese Imperial bloodline that potentially will be replaced with an actual connection back to the Han dynasty in the future), and the male-line descendants of Confucius (none are playable).

- We've added the Dragonslayer bloodline (related to a party crasher you're familiar with), a generic version of the Fujiwara bloodine for other regents (the Hojo clan will get a specific bloodline in the future if you start when they should have it), a generic version of Taejo's bloodline (in case he dies and someone else wins the war), a generic version of the Yoritomo bloodline for other shoguns (the Ashikaga clan will get a specific one in the future if you start when they should have it), a bloodline for defeating the Unknown Master, and a bloodline for winning a Treasure Fleet invasion as the attacker.

- Bloodline-adjacent, we have the Amaterasu Descendant trait in Japan, which is extremely common and rather easy to get if you lack it.

The next proper update should include at least the following:

- A bloodline for Suryavarman II.

- A bloodline for the Oshu Fujiwara, and a generic version for the Kiyohara clan in case they should win the equivalent of the Gosannen War (we're calling it the "Northern Disturbance" as it might have a different duration) and gain independence.

- A bloodline for Dongmyeong of Goguryeo, and an additional one for his son Onjo of Baekje.

- A bloodline for Suro of Geumgwan Gaya.

It is also reasonably likely to include some or all of the following:

- A bloodline for the Goguryeo descendants of Dongmyeong.

- Up to three bloodlines for the kings of Silla (the number depends on whether we add one for each clan or not).

- A bloodline for the Choe military dictators.

- A bloodline for Hong Dagu.

- At least one decision-related bloodline.

Reactions:
I remember that sometimes ago you said that you considered opening the Japanese governments to Japanese enough religion, right? What do you think the potential requirements will be?

Where is “Togo” taken from?

Assuming you mean "Kōgō" (as we don't have anything called "Togo" as far as I can remember), it's "Empress consort" (or one of the words for it), which, due to the aforementioned localization limits and desire to avoid confusion, also is used for empresses (on the Chrysanthemum Throne) regnant.

How to survive as Mutsu?

In 769? You're not expected to be able to survive for long if you remain independent and don't somehow migrate or find a powerful ally. Historically, Japan already had some control of the area by 769 (and Korehazi no Azamaro worked for Japan prior to defecting), and by 811 they had subjugated all of Honshu after a failed Emishi rebellion, so the expectation is that they'll be able clean it up reasonably quickly, and there are no plans to change that seeing as not every start is supposed to be an easy or even reasonable start (there are several vanilla examples of even harder starts).

When the Oshu Fujiwara are around? We're not supporting those starts yet, but they'll have some event troops to represent various local warbands that helped them maintain their independence for roughly a century, and given that they'll have a ton of dynastic prestige from their Fujiwara relatives they might be able to secure alliances with e.g. Goryeo, though if a strong ruler should arise in Japan they'll probably overwhelm them fairly quickly (which historically happened; Minamoto no Yoritomo crushed them shortly after the Genpei War and before he de jure became Shogun) unless they can bring in a powerful ally.

I remember that sometimes ago you said that you considered opening the Japanese governments to Japanese enough religion, right? What do you think the potential requirements will be?

I didn't say we considered doing it as much as that I considered it the only real maybe for opening up Permanent Regencies (and possibly some other things) if we decide that that's something we want (which is far from certain), so you really shouldn't expect it to be done, and aside from it definitely requiring a Temporal leadership (due to otherwise not having a Tenno equivalent) and being forbidden certain extremely wrong Doctrines (Bloodthirsty Gods and Enatic Clans, at the very least) I've not given it much thought as it's neither something we've decided that we will do nor something that'd be done soon if we decided it was to be done.

How do you create an Imperial Bloodline?

Do you think that there should be a bloodline for those who manage to unseat the Yamato from the Chrysanthemum Throne?

You get a Chinese Imperial pretender bloodline if you create a pretender empire or overthrow the dynasty that rules a pretender empire as someone eligible for the government and decide to keep it, assuming you don't already belong to one. You get a proper one for taking over China as someone eligible for Chinese Imperial, assuming you're not already part of one and that you didn't take over from a Chinese Imperial ruler from your dynasty.

Given that you're not supposed to ever take the Chrysanthemum Throne unless you're part of the Imperial Family (or the title has been destroyed) and that we therefore will do everything reasonable to prevent it from ever happening, we will not be adding any rewards for successfully doing it, and while it'd be easy to add I don't really think anyone really wants a -1000 Shinto/Japanese opinion bloodline for desecrating the Chrysanthemum Throne.

Suggestion for a set of pagan religious requirements for Japanese Imperial:
-Leadership is Temporal
-Nature is Cosmopolitan
-Is either Ryukyuan, Ainu or Muist.
-Benefit from Meritocracy and either Ancestor Veneration, Divine Marriage or Animistic.
-None of the following Doctrines have been selected: Polygamy, Agnatic Clans, Enatic Clans, Bloodthirsty Gods and Seabound.

Since reformed Pagan wouldn't be able to join WoTRS and declare Rising Sun Subjugation, I let them have normal GHWs as an alternative.