• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I have to agree. To add to that, I think the dynasty of Godwin would be a perfect fit for this new culture - the same goes for Waltheof son of Siward, who was probably a Dane.

Reactions:
First off, I'm really enjoying the latest release! Great work guys!

Anyway, I've read somewhere on here that there were plans to make a 950 start? Are these plans concrete or just vague ideas? If needed, I'd be glad to help out with the low countries (just as I did in the Lotharingia mod).

It is in the plans for some time in the future. But not at the moment. We have a couple of areas left that still needs overhauling and we have a lot of title history to fill in after 1100 and especially after 1150 for a lot of areas

About the Anglo-Danes mentioned above, I've been thinking of a suitable name for this culture.

Now, obviously most people were not necessarily aware their specific culture - nor was there always a clear distinction between sub-divisions in a society. We do not have a contemporary name for the distinct culture that has come to be known as "Anglo-Danish", but it is clear that many Danish customs as well as plenty of Danish vocabulary was absorbed into 10-11th century English society and language. The use of Danish names in prominent families was, apparently, more widespread in some than others; for example the children of Godwin and his Danish wife, most of them carrying what we would call Anglo-Danish names (Sweyn, Harold, Tostig, Magnus, Ulf, etc.).

I hope you agree that having an Anglo-Danish culture in the Danelaw is a better representation of the situation than having the populace under the purely Danish culture (which is apparently not part of the English melting-pot event). If I should propose a fitting name for such a melting-pot culture I would probably use the Angel- prefix along with the Old English Dene making it Angel-Dene.

There are many good reasons for an Anglo-Danish culture, but we are still stuck with the one big ck2 limitation that so far have held us back from using one, and that is what culture group to put it in. If it go in the west Germanic its a mess due to negative malus toward the Danes and Norwegians, and vice versa with north Germanic group and the Saxons.

Reactions:
That is a problem indeed. If I had to choose, I'd go with West Germanic.

There are many good reasons for an Anglo-Danish culture, but we are still stuck with the one big ck2 limitation that so far have held us back from using one, and that is what culture group to put it in. If it go in the west Germanic its a mess due to negative malus toward the Danes and Norwegians, and vice versa with north Germanic group and the Saxons.
I'd go with North Germanic. After all, the new overlords bring North Germanic traditions and the local population is included in their cultural sphere.

Reactions:
The culture should develop much like the Norse-Irish and Norman cultures, and both of those are attached to their local culture (Celtic and Latin). Bear in mind, this is the culture that we see in the 1066 start, it is not yet present in the early start. Besides, if we want to use the culture for the dynasty of Godwin and Siward, it should definitely be more English than Danish.

Reactions:
It should be West Germanic, these aren't recent Danish converts, but an English population heavily influenced by Danish settlement and intermarriage, but the core is still there - particularly when it comes to relations between Denmark and England.

It's a shame that CK2's culture malus isn't more creative, i.e. IF England at war with Denmark, then side with England. If England fights Normandy, prefer Danish to Norman.

You can also contrast the relations of the full blood Danish kings with the 'native' English compared to the Anglo-Danes with the 'native' English.

Hey!

Just wanted to ask why the island of rugen switches to German culture so early (In the 1200's)? The Island was said to have retained it's Slavic identity until the 14th century. While it did experience the ostsiedlung in the 13th century, it did so with its own native people mainly.

The island of Rügen, in contrast to the German mainland parts of the principality, also retained a Slavic character throughout the 13th century - German settlement would only start in the 14th century, with strong participation of local Slavs.
According to Jedlicki (1950), in many cases the term "German colonization" does not refer to an actual migration of Germans, but rather to the internal migration of native populations (Poles, Hungarians, etc.) from the countryside to the cities, which then adopted laws modeled on those of the German towns of Magdeburg and Lübeck

I've been looking at several things concerning Northern Europe and the English melting-pot. While looking at the titles, I've come across quite a few that needed looking at in my opinion, but I also noticed that the Norse "tribal" kings (and other tribal title holders) don't have proper localisation so that, for example, Ivar the Boneless is called "King Ivar of Suðreyjar" when he should be called "Konungr" (and also rather Ívarr inn beinlausi) - meanwhile, Hálfdan is called "Konungr" since Jórvík is feudal. (I'm using the 2.3.6 version, but I assume it's the same in 2.4.4).

[QUOTE="Erilaz, post: 19925689, member: 446846"I also noticed that the Norse "tribal" kings (and other tribal title holders) don't have proper localisation[/QUOTE]
That's quite a hefty change that I noticed as well. You can do it yourself I believe but it'll take a while.
Code:
baron_danish;Herra;Herra;Herra;;Herra;;;;;;;;;x;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;0
baron_gothic;Herra;Herra;Herra;;Herra;;;;;;;;;x;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;0
baron_icelandic;Herra;Herra;Herra;;Herra;;;;;;;;;x;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;0
baron_swedish;Herra;Herra;Herra;;Herra;;;;;;;;;x;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
baron_norwegian;Herra;Herra;Herra;;Herra;;;;;;;;;x;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
baron_female_danish;Frú;Frú;Frú;;Frú;;;;;;;;;x;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
baron_female_gothic;Frú;Frú;Frú;;Frú;;;;;;;;;x;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
baron_female_icelandic;Frú;Frú;Frú;;Frú;;;;;;;;;x;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
baron_female_swedish;Frú;Frú;Frú;;Frú;;;;;;;;;x;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
baron_female_norwegian;Frú;Frú;Frú;;Frú;;;;;;;;;x;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
that's the baron localisation so I think (and i'm not sure) there needs to be another localisation underneath like this
Code:
tribal_baron_danish;Herra;Herra;Herra;;Herra;;;;;;;;;x;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;0
tribal_baron_gothic;Herra;Herra;Herra;;Herra;;;;;;;;;x;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;0
etc
and that probably needs to be the case for every culture. I think that's the case at least.

Have you tried it? I tried searching for the needed variable, but I only found that it's somehow also linked to the "pagan_group" if I'm not mistaken.

EDIT: Tried using the "tribal_" variable, but to no effect.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Wonderful map, just one little thing that's bothering me is the flag of the Mercia/Hereford duchy.
Probably because for much of the game period (1066+) its Hereford, but it feels weird not having the Merica flag when Wessex/East Anglia have their Saxon versions all the way through to 1457.
I don't suppose anyone knows the flag ID for changing it in landed_titles? I tried myself but couldn't find the right one.

Have you tried it? I tried searching for the needed variable, but I only found that it's somehow also linked to the "pagan_group" if I'm not mistaken.
Cheers for that, I was just looking at the localisations and saw "tribal_" before a few. On second inspection it looks like it's soemthing to do with the tengri faith.

Code:
tribal_count_tengri_pagan;Beg;Beg;Beg;;Beg;;;;;;;;;x;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
tribal_count_female_tengri_pagan;Bega;Bega;Bega;;Bega;;;;;;;;;x;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
tribal_count_title_ruler_consort_tengri_pagan;Beg;Beg;Beg;;Beg;;;;;;;;;x;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
tribal_count_title_ruler_consort_female_tengri_pagan;Bega;Bega;Bega;;Bega;;;;;;;;;x;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
tribal_duke_tengri_pagan;Ilek;Ilek;Ilek;;Ilek;;;;;;;;;x;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
tribal_duke_female_tengri_pagan;Ilkan;Ilkan;Ilkan;;Ilkan;;;;;;;;;x;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
tribal_duke_title_ruler_consort_tengri_pagan;Ilek;Ilek;Ilek;;Ilek;;;;;;;;;x;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
tribal_duke_title_ruler_consort_female_tengri_pagan;Ilkan;Ilkan;Ilkan;;Ilkan;;;;;;;;;x;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
tribal_king_tengri_pagan;Khan;Khan;Khan;;Khan;;;;;;;;;x;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
tribal_king_female_tengri_pagan;Khana;Khana;Khana;;Khana;;;;;;;;;x;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
tribal_king_title_ruler_consort_tengri_pagan;Khan;Khan;Khan;;Khan;;;;;;;;;x;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
tribal_king_title_ruler_consort_female_tengri_pagan;Khana;Khana;Khana;;Khana;;;;;;;;;x;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
tribal_emperor_tengri_pagan;Qaghan;Qaghan;Qaghan;;Qaghan;;;;;;;;;x;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
tribal_emperor_female_tengri_pagan;Qaghana;Qaghana;Qaghana;;Qaghana;;;;;;;;;x;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
tribal_emperor_title_ruler_consort_female_tengri_pagan;Qaghana;Qaghana;Qaghana;;Qaghana;;;;;;;;;x;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

Hey guys, im here for another question:
I am playing a Karen game, I wanna make the empire of Eran, but I cant, because to do so I need to hold 2 kingdom titles. But I cant have 2 kingdom titles because after getting one via custom kingdom, I am unable to get more due to all the kingdoms requiring me to be muslim. But I am zoroastrian, and want to become Saoshyant. But to do that I need Eran, but to get that I cant be Zoroastrian...

Hey guys, im here for another question:
I am playing a Karen game, I wanna make the empire of Eran, but I cant, because to do so I need to hold 2 kingdom titles. But I cant have 2 kingdom titles because after getting one via custom kingdom, I am unable to get more due to all the kingdoms requiring me to be muslim. But I am zoroastrian, and want to become Saoshyant. But to do that I need Eran, but to get that I cant be Zoroastrian...
It’s important to post your version.txt. The latest version of SWMH should resolve thisissue, but for this save, you can head into your HIP install, search the name of the kingdom you want to create in "common/landed_titles/swmh_landed_titles.txt", find its "allow = { ... }" block (e.g. for the kingdom of Pársa, this block is found just above the "} # end k_persia" line), and remove it. (Or tweak it to your satisfaction in some other way.)