• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Though I'm curious why the eastern lakes are still connected to the mediterranean. Also will the Armenians be represented in Egypt?
The eastern lakes are part of mediterranean because the coastline of Africa will be edited in a next phase.
Armenians - well, did they represent majority or at least large and important minority in some Egyptian regions? I haven't found any info about that.
Or do you mean Armenian slaves/mamluks (like the Turks and Blacks)? If this is the point, I can only answer that I know not only who started the slave war, but also who ended it in 1074 :)

Is it really wise to keep the Duchy of Nubia a part of Egypt. I mean it wasn't exactly the historical situation until very late in game, plus the caliph doesn't exactly need the de-jure CB to make life miserable for the poor Nubians. If you keep it this way i hope that you change it when you move on to East Africa and hopefully create a de-jure Nubian Kingdom.

ETA: Does the Caliph often use the de-jure claim on the Duchy of Nubia in your test games?

@elvain: I really hope the blue color of Nubia doesn't mean Egypt gets dejure claims on it. Egypt truly has no business getting dejure claims on Nubia.

He writes that Egypt consists of 6 duchies from now on and it already has 6 with Sinai (Isqandariya, Sinai, Dumyat, Qahira, Aswan, Al Wasat), so i think we are in luck.
1) I noticed there are 2 typos in my duchy setup, so the names of these 6 duchies will be little different in the final version.
2) I consider Sinai as part of Asia and I forgot to mention it among the duchies of Egypt. However, not all the colours of these duchies are definite and Nubia is one of those, which will have their colour changed ;)

I am doing my best to make late 11th century as realistic as possible, which means relatively weak, so don't worry ;)

Is it really wise to keep the Duchy of Nubia a part of Egypt. I mean it wasn't exactly the historical situation until very late in game, plus the caliph doesn't exactly need the de-jure CB to make life miserable for the poor Nubians.

ETA: Does the Caliph often use the de-jure claim on the Duchy of Nubia in your test games?
In my test games the caliph doesn't use de-jure claim on the Duchy of Nubia, don't worry.
You are totally right. It would not be wise, and would be ahistorical to keep Duchy of Nubia de-jure part of Egypt.
I mean:
Kingdom of Egypt have expanded to the south and the west, at least visualy.

Last edited:
In my test games the caliph doesn't use de-jure claim on the Duchy of Nubia, don't worry.
You are totally right. It would not be wise, and would be ahistorical to keep Duchy of Nubia de-jure part of Egypt.
I mean:
Fantastic :)

I mean it wasn't exactly the historical situation until very late in game, plus the caliph doesn't exactly need the de-jure CB to make life miserable for the poor Nubians. If you keep it this way i hope that you change it when you move on to East Africa and hopefully create a de-jure Nubian Kingdom.
I forgot to say one more thing:
There will be some minor changes done also in East/South-East Africa even in this update.
I'm not going to hide that they were inspired by your comments, theKing.

The eastern lakes are part of mediterranean because the coastline of Africa will be edited in a next phase.
Armenians - well, did they represent majority or at least large and important minority in some Egyptian regions? I haven't found any info about that.
Or do you mean Armenian slaves/mamluks (like the Turks and Blacks)? If this is the point, I can only answer that I know not only who started the slave war, but also who ended it in 1074 :)

Armenians have been a noticeable minority in most of the Levant since antiquity, but never a majority like in Armenia/Anatolia. So i think you guys are better of leaving that idea alone.

Armenians have been a noticeable minority in most of the Levant since antiquity, but never a majority like in Armenia/Anatolia. So i think you guys are better of leaving that idea alone.
I have read about them as minority in the Levant ("Shams" Syria and Palestine), but never found anything about them in Egypt.

AFAIK the christian communities didn't constitute majority neither in egyptian provinces (they were considerable minority, but not majority) and they are represented in those provinces, where their minority was the largest (or at least displayed on maps :))

The plan is to make Fatimid caliphate a cosmopolitan community as it really was. Some cultures deserve to be represented as provincial populations, some other only as dynasties or characters. There are Turks and "Zanj", Miaphysites etc. so why not Armenians?

That means, if you have any idea who else should be there, tell us(me) how much you think they should be there.

Edit: for instance if we look at the Maghreb it will also be cultural mess

I have read about them as minority in the Levant ("Shams" Syria and Palestine), but never found anything about them in Egypt.

AFAIK the christian communities didn't constitute majority neither in egyptian provinces (they were considerable minority, but not majority) and they are represented in those provinces, where their minority was the largest (or at least displayed on maps :))

The plan is to make Fatimid caliphate a cosmopolitan community as it really was. Some cultures deserve to be represented as provincial populations, some other only as dynasties or characters. There are Turks and "Zanj", Miaphysites etc. so why not Armenians?

That means, if you have any idea who else should be there, tell us(me) how much you think they should be there.

Edit: for instance if we look at the Maghreb it will also be cultural mess

As far as i have read, the Miaphysites were still a majority in the regions of Upper Egypt that bordered Nubia and in a few regions of the Delta until 1080-1100, so i actually think that your depiction is very accurate.

And it is very difficult to accurately portray the cultural situation of the middle ages anywhere, with the current engine at hand, so whatever improvements you guys make to the vanilla setup will be quite an improvement.

Last edited:
As far as i have read, the Miaphysites were still a majority in the regions of Upper Egypt that bordered Nubia and in a few regions of the Delta until 1080-1100, so i actually think that your depiction is very accurate.

And it is very difficult to accurately portray the cultural situation of the middle ages anywhere, with the current engine at hand, so whatever improvements you guys make to the vanilla setup will be quite an improvement.
Well, I know that anything we do is better than culturaly and religioiusly compact Egyptian-Arabic shiite Egypt of the vanilla, but I am perfectionist ;)
that's why there won't be only Miaphysites, Sunnis, Badawi Arabs, but also Turkish and Zanji characters

Well, I know that anything we do is better than culturaly and religioiusly compact Egyptian-Arabic shiite Egypt of the vanilla, but I am perfectionist ;)
that's why there won't be only Miaphysites, Sunnis, Badawi Arabs, but also Turkish and Zanji characters

As far as i can see on Wikipedia, the Zanji's are blacks from the coastline of Somalia, Kenya and Tanzania. Does that mean that the map will be increased to accomodate some of these areas or is the culture added as a tool to represent the black slaves in Egypt and possibly other places in the Middle East?

As far as i can see on Wikipedia, the Zanji's are blacks from the coastline of Somalia, Kenya and Tanzania. Does that mean that the map will be increased to accomodate some of these areas or is the culture added as a tool to represent the black slaves in Egypt and possibly other places in the Middle East?
the Zanji is also general naming of the black slaves in the Mashriq and this is not a bad idea.

I don't want to reveal too much, but to be honest, this was not planned. I hope that I will be able to give you some surprise in this region... The current status of the Zanji is visible on the screenshots, but I can't say it won't change.

Zanji had also been settled near the persian gulf in sort of military colonies. Props to the broken crescent mod for teaching me that. As for the Armenians in egypt I will have to look up my resources I gathered for a med 2 mod but from memory they were used in the army and one was a general/official. No significant population though.

@SWMH team: on Zanji popping up and the like, I use a series of events in VIET to spawn Jewish, Hindu/Indian, and Swahili courtiers in various places - you guys might have some use for these events (or something of the like) if you want courtiers of certain cultures popping up in certain places.

As for the Armenians in egypt I will have to look up my resources I gathered for a med 2 mod but from memory they were used in the army and one was a general/official. No significant population though.
You probably mean Badr al-Jamali, the governor of Acre, who ended rule of Turkish slave Nasir al-Dawla, and who later became de-facto ruler of Egypt?
He is Levantine-Armenian and it is yet not sure if I will put him in (most probably yes).

If you could check your resources, it would be nice (I can recommend this). Depending on how will the work on the other 2 parts of our WIP update(Britain and Rhos), I might add few more flavour characters.

His son Al-Afdal was the one I was thinking of. Here is a nice source. The Fatimid Armenians
thanks

Zanji had also been settled near the persian gulf in sort of military colonies. Props to the broken crescent mod for teaching me that.

@SWMH team: on Zanji popping up and the like, I use a series of events in VIET to spawn Jewish, Hindu/Indian, and Swahili courtiers in various places - you guys might have some use for these events (or something of the like) if you want courtiers of certain cultures popping up in certain places.
Thanks for suggestions. They look interesting. We need to talk about this in the team first.

The goal is to make better map and to fill it historically correct characters, that's at least as I personaly see it. I prefer not to use randomly generated characters. They would be gratefuly welcome in some kind of module, maybe?

Last edited:
Thanks for suggestions. They look interesting. We need to talk about this in the team first.

The goal is to make better map and to fill it historically correct characters, that's at least as I personaly see it. I prefer not to use randomly generated characters. They would be gratefuly welcome in some kind of module, maybe?

I mean not adopting the Jewish/Hindu/Swahili characters as I've implemented it (though you guys are free to do that if you want), but using a similar method to have randomly generated characters where it would make historical sense - for instance, maybe to have Turkish or African "slaves" spawn in Egypt or something.

I mean not adopting the Jewish/Hindu/Swahili characters as I've implemented it (though you guys are free to do that if you want), but using a similar method to have randomly generated characters where it would make historical sense - for instance, maybe to have Turkish or African "slaves" spawn in Egypt or something.
Yes, I understood it this way. I meant that random characters are random no matter if their culture is Jewish, Hindu, Swahili or Zanji