• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I already put an example in the spanish forum about all this you're talking about with this island: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibiza

If is ruled by muslims, the name of the island must be Yebisah. If is ruled by castillians, the name must be Ibiza. If is ruled by catalans, the name must be Eivissa. Sometimes is not easy to select the "best" name for a region by default.

With the new naming system, will be easier to fit the names by culture, but is a huge work that we can't do ATM. Hopefully in the future.

New "Dev diary", a WIP of the flags for the British Isles (empire, kingdoms, all the duchies by kingdom and welsh and irish counties. Still working in scottish and english counties):

wipcoas.png

And who's that little bastard that leaked in the top-right part of the image? Uhm...

Bonus track (for the lulz and because I awoke epical today):

dragonarms.png

Last edited:
Is there a version of this mod available without the localised titles? If not, what would I need to delete/change to achieve this? Thanks in advance :)

Is there a version of this mod available without the localised titles? If not, what would I need to delete/change to achieve this? Thanks in advance :)

Unfortunately is not possible; we don't have a "lite" version of localisation files. As discussed in the last two pages of the thread, hopefully in the future we'll get time for doing it.

Well, this is your perspective.

But what if you are an Arab who wants to play as Fatimid caliph, who rules over Palestine. Why should you calll your al-Quds Jerusalem just because some stupid Franks, who may or may not conquer it sometime during the game, call the city that way?

Not everybody wants to play as Norman duke. Some people want to play as breton count or duke or Arab emir or sultan and they have the same right to have their possessions named adequately as have the Normans, Franks or English, don't you think?

Please, don't be too etnocentric ;)

First of all, please don't call me ethnocentric, because I'm not and in the context in which you use it I take it as a borderline claim of racism and I take offense to that. Secondly, I don't normally play as a Norman duke. I normally play somewhere in Italy or the Western Med. Third, I'm certainly not calling for others not to "have the same right" to their place names, quite the opposite in fact, only making it optional, because frankly, I do see your point, and I actually think it is very cool, as I mentioned. My issues are mainly twofold: consistency and gameplay. Ofaloaf's already made the point that if you're wanting the feeling of being a local lord with your language place names, then the logical idea would be for every place in the map to appear with the names of the language for the culture you are currently playing as, not for it all to be different from one region to the next. If you are a Frankish lord Crusading to Jerusalem, of course there are no road signs in Frankish, but the Frank would still be able to know from interpreters, merchants, locals, etc. that this city is Jerusalem. But in game I couldn't figure that out. Granted, I wikied al Quds and I learned some things that were very valuable, but nevertheless from a purely gameplay perspective it's a pain to try and figure out what the hell a Kiraly of Magyarorszag is so you know what you're dealing with. Regardless of what the Magyars call their king and their country, a Frank or German would still know who they are dealing with is the King of Hungary. For consistency's sake I also find it rather ridiculous that Matilda is a Herzogin and Firenze is a Vogtei. When William wins the Norman conquest all the Earls in England suddenly become Counts. If you're really wanting the "real Frankish lord experience" then why aren't all the events, buildings, and buttons translated into Frankish as well? The Roi d'France doesn't go around talking about "taxes", "Bowyers", and "raising fleets". But if you're the "King of France" everything is consistent and makes sense. Furthermore, to be truly as "non-ethnocentric" as you claim to be, why don't you break out Arabic script and Cyrillic letters? because let's face it, even an non-English speaking Arab doesn't know what "Al-Quds" is, either, so I expect to see القُدس in the next version. (/sarcasm)

Now that I've said that, again please don't mistake my posts as being mad about localized names or "ethnocentric", and I'm not trying to be hateful, just making my point. Again, I think they are very cool, and I like looking around the map in its current state and learning things about other languages. But when I'm actually playing a game, I'd rather have everything localized consistently for gameplay's sake, and the most logical way to do that, given that the game is in English and the overwhelming majority of players are English speakers (whether they're native speakers or not), is Anglicized names. I think this should have been done as an option from the start, and it would have been much easier, very easy in fact, to have done it that way, but as it hasn't been done that way, as I mentioned I'd be very happy to help with creating such an optional Anglicized localisation file.

Last edited:
To be fair and to disregard the sarcasm for a moment, I don't think it's possible for CK2 to render Arabic and Cyrillic characters. Best you can do is transliterate, really.

Okay folks I think its time the localisation debate got a rest(I guess the bright red is for modeartors only so I hope this one can be intimidating too:unsure:)

Both veiws has been exhausted way beyond what is informative for persons of the oppoesing veiw.
The default will be regional localisation and a optional lite version will be developed, if someone wants to volunteer to doing it then it will be finished sooner than otherwise

Last edited:
Tomorrow I can post a rudimentary Anglicized version of the localisation files either in [ CODE] tags or just uploaded to mediafire, if you want.

Tomorrow I can post a rudimentary Anglicized version of the localisation files either in [ CODE] tags or just uploaded to mediafire, if you want.
Thanks^^
Would much preffer mediafire.

Okay folks I think its time the localisation debate got a rest(I guess the bright red is for modeartors only so I hope this one can be intimidating too:unsure:)

Both veiws has been exhausted way beyond what is informative for persons of the oppoesing veiw.
The default will be regional localisation and a optional lite version will be developed, if someone wants to volunteer to doing it then it will be finished sooner than otherwise

Tbh, Aasmul, I'm not sure why it should even be considered a debate, as the "opposing view" merely wants an option, not to change the mod as it is. Just like the Aztec DLC is an option, those with the Aztec DLC aren't affecting anyone else's game.

As I said , I would love to help with it and if any others will help me we could divide up the localisation files amongst us to do the job and get it to Aasmul quickly, and then it will no longer be an issue. No modding experience is needed for those who may feel too intimated having never done any modding before. It's really very easy to do localisation. You just need to be able to type name into a list. Literally.

Last edited:
CJ, I think you took too seriously Elvain's comment, I don't think that he was trying to offend you in any way. Take it easy, mate :)

Actually he totally mischaracterized both my position and my reasonings for my position. But as I tried to make clear, I'm not mad at all, I just wanted to clarify that it's not about ethnocentrism, and it's only an option, as he implied that we want to take away the localized names, which I don't want to do at all.

Ofaloaf, let me know what files you are working on and I can get started on others. btw:

Ofaloaf has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.

Ofaloaf, let me know what files you are working on and I can get started on others.
I'm on a netbook at the moment so I don't have my partially-Anglified copy of SWMH to double-check, but I think I was mainly going through the de jure and titular titles files in the localisation folder, changing Magyarzag to Hungary and so forth. Haven't changed the Roi de Royaume de France to the King of the Kingdom of France or anything along those lines yet, though.

Last edited:
I'm on a netbook at the moment so I don't have my partially-Anglified copy of SWMH to double-check, but I think I was mainly going through the de jure and titular titles files in the localisation folder, changing Magyarzag to Hungary and so forth. Haven't changed the Roi de Royaume de France to the King of the Kingdom of France or anything along those lines yet, though.
Ok I'll start with Nobletitles.txt and EDIT: FOA and specialtitles.txt for now.

Last edited:
Ofaloaf since your inbox is still full,

just wanted to let you know I've finished Nobletitles.txt and FOA and specialtitles.txt, going to do cultures.txt and retinues.txt next;

the real pains will be doing provinces, baronies and counties. Let me know if you start on one of those files.

Also elvain I tried to reply but your inbox is full too.

Ofaloaf since your inbox is still full,

just wanted to let you know I've finished Nobletitles.txt and FOA and specialtitles.txt, going to do cultures.txt and retinues.txt next;

the real pains will be doing provinces, baronies and counties. Let me know if you start on one of those files.

Also elvain I tried to reply but your inbox is full too.
Oh, didn't know my inbox was full. Terribly sorry, have cleaned it up now. About to send you what I've done up, too. Ignore the cheeky filename in the mediafire link.

I've intentionally shunned tweaking baronies, since that has an impact on game-generated dynastic names. "Abdullah mn al-Quds" would become "Abdullah mn Jerusalem" if all those barony-level name-changes were removed, and I'm not terribly keen on things like that. Likewise, I can still get county-level name changes like when Anatolia changes from Greek to Turkish control. That stuff's cool, repeated in other Paradox games and is a generally-accepted practice amongst the circles I'm familiar with.