• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
In Mappa Regnorum on CK1 there was (is, still) a single county for the Anglo-Normans islands. I don't think it's necessary to split it into 2 different counties, these islands were too much intricated politically and economically a too remote to play such a big role in CK2 ... IMO of course.

But one more thing from the Axl's map Eireann is the genitive form of Eire right ? But it's usually used to translate Irish for official titles and not Ireland (i.e. from wikipedia : Irish Parliament = Dáil Éireann, while Ireland = Éire ). I guess it's a question that has already been tackled but it feels strange having an adjective form to designate the country (like English instead of England ...)

In Mappa Regnorum on CK1 there was (is, still) a single county for the Anglo-Normans islands. I don't think it's necessary to split it into 2 different counties, these islands were too much intricated politically and economically a too remote to play such a big role in CK2 ... IMO of course.

But one more thing from the Axl's map Eireann is the genitive form of Eire right ? But it's usually used to translate Irish for official titles and not Ireland (i.e. from wikipedia : Irish Parliament = Dáil Éireann, while Ireland = Éire ). I guess it's a question that has already been tackled but it feels strange having an adjective form to designate the country (like English instead of England ...)

I have to admit that my knowledge of gaelic is non-existent. I've been looking a lot of documentation but I suppose that still there'll be lot of mistakes like that in the map when is released. Fortunatelly that won't affect gameplay, and can be corrected quickly.
I take note of the Eireann mistake for the moment ^^!

a republic maybe ?

Viking raiders republic, traders of hate and pain? :p

Last edited:
So a question: I have formed the empire of France. However, the Kingdom of Aquitania eludes me. Is there any way I can use all of my de jure claims all at once, instead of picking it apart one county at a time? Should I get an imperial conquest CB?

It may be a cache issue, delete the GFX folder in your mod cache folders.

My Documents/Paradox Interactive/Crusader Kings II/gfx/flags - this folder has the flag cache for vanilla, and mods that don't use a user_dir (e.g., CK2+).
My Documents/Paradox Interactive/Crusader Kings II/SWMH/gfx/flags - this folder has the flag cache for SWMH.

i ask if could be possible to expand republics above all in nortern europe and italy or near it (as in adriatics) so as Amalfi, of also the sardinian could be....(they were 'giudicati' i don't know the translations, but were most of all elective and great commerce...)
thanks

I'm pretty sure that there is quite a bit of time until the next release, so they might not have anything to show us yet.

I hope to see basic implementation of sea provinces in the Red Sea, Persian Gulf, and Indian Ocean soon. If I'm not mistaken, all sea provinces must interlink- which wouldn't be a problem if you implemented a 'strait' over Suez. I know that the canal is a modern thing, but the area is rather the 'path of least resistance' for dragging ships over land, and I think gameplay prospects for the Muslim nations in the southeast overwhelm the ahistoricity of it.

I also agree, we need more Merchant Republics. I see three ways to go about that:
A: Add a few to the North to compete with Gotland, and maybe some to the Southeast, for balance reasons.
B: Add a tonne to Italy, making competition even more fierce and interesting. This is fairly historical, what with the republics of Lucca, Amalfi, Nissa, Arborea, Ragusa, and so on.
C: Add every historical Merchant republic. This means a tonne for Italy, a fair few for Northern Germany- an event system could be introduced for the Hansa- Novgorod, Iceland, the list goes on. This might be a a bit over the top, but it's of course up to the developers.

Oh, and I think some improvements could be done for the Crimea. I mean, it's played host to Byzantine outposts, Genoan colonies, the Empire of Theodora, Crimean Taters, the last of the Goths, and a myriad host of other interesting happenings. 4 provinces do not feel like enough, and the Goths should be represented somehow.

Ragusa as a vassal of Byz and an independent Greek culture Orthodox Amalfi should be present at start. Lucca could be at later starts but Nissa and Arborea are the Genoese and Pisan playgrounds. 'Marche' should just be 'Ancona', 'March of' title, and a Republic of Ancona could easily form as well. I will probably be working on this myself if the team wants to use my work again but probably not anytime too soon.

Russian history's not my thing so I'm not sure when exactly Novgorod should be a 'merchant republic' as opposed to a 'monarchy' but that would be good to have in the region if possible; (this is kind of a flaw imo as Florence, Nuremberg, etc. cannot use the mechanics either)

If there's not already, there should be events for the Hansa but I haven't played around enough to know yet.

Speaking of merchant republics, though, my play time with the new DLC now leads me to think that sea zones should be reworked in some areas. The shape of sea zones and port locations was not really important before but now it is critical to trade bonuses for the merchant republics. For example, Sea of Crete has no ports so it cannot be controlled, and this actually creates a 'barrier' or disincentive to go trade posting further east into Byz territory. I would actually recommend Crete being in the middle of its own sea zone.

I got to say though, playing a game with the new mechanics and SWMH's beautiful map it is a joy to 'colonize' the Mediterranean, watching Venice slowly dominate the Adriatic and begin to conquer Dalmatia, Genoa and Pisa fighting over Sardinia and Corsica and trying to gain a foothold in Spain and Sicily... and then have the HRE side with one of the republics, only to embargo the other one a few decades later, playing them off each other :D !

I agree with this, plus lascupa seem to confusing county level merchant rule with actual republics (duchy-level). Because at a duchy level i'm pretty sure it is quite limited how many republics can actually be added.

Don't worry there will be a wee bit more republics^^.

Novgorod's landlocked though
says who? :p

I found a bug in the family tree of the della Gherardesca of Pisa as almost all of the family members are disconnected on the familytree and they are all stacked under one another on the left.

I checked vanilla and the family tree is connected there, so you might want to check that out.

Edit
I found the problem. You need to add the correct father and dynasty (13031) to some members in the jfl78_italian_sardinian.txt. They can be found under the heading Giudice of Gallura. A few of them have a father=0 and dynasty=0 entry and these need to be corrected.
Thanks will correct in next version or if more bugs makes a patch needed.

SWMH team, I hacked together SWMH+PB+VIET, may I have your permission to post the mod?

No sorry.

So a question: I have formed the empire of France. However, the Kingdom of Aquitania eludes me. Is there any way I can use all of my de jure claims all at once, instead of picking it apart one county at a time? Should I get an imperial conquest CB?
Its likely down to the culture, you can't form that kingdom if you are Frankish, you need to be of Occtian, Norman or English culture.

Last edited:
Thank you for the great mod.

Still, I would have preferred English names. Localization sounds good but all these names and titles are incomprehensible and I feel like I'm playing a foreign version of the game. :l It's a big minus to players who don't speak those ancient language, a group to which I assume most of us belong.

If I were playing Vicky 2 I would want to call China China instead of something like "Zhōnghuá Rénmín Gònghéguó," just like I prefer English speaking Asians in movies.

Still, I would have preferred English names. Localization sounds good but all these names and titles are incomprehensible and I feel like I'm playing a foreign version of the game. :l It's a big minus to players who don't speak those ancient language, a group to which I assume most of us belong.

If I were playing Vicky 2 I would want to call China China instead of something like "Zhōnghuá Rénmín Gònghéguó," just like I prefer English speaking Asians in movies.

I think there is someone working on a version with English names for himself. But you have to bear in mind that most of the users of this mod doesn't speak the countless languages either (it's also mostly english that bind us together), yet there is still broad consensus among us to continue along the current path.

Honestly it makes a lot more sense to me that it should be in either the native language, or Latin / Greek for Byzantium.

It irks me to have English titles everywhere.

An optional set of simplified localisaitions is on the list of things that I hope to get done.
I had most sorted out before I moved to my new comp but I forgot to transfer so I will have to redo them:(
Atm the list of things to do for the next version is veeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrry long so I can't say for shure when I have time to look at it again.

...If you are going for native names, does it mean that Persia becomes Eranshahr?

I noticed that muslim Israel turns into Filastin (Crusade of Filastin)...and I loved it. Really cool idea to have such culture-specific titles. And Norman england is 'Angléterre'.

strongly disagree, i'm very happy that i have chance to know the countru names in thier "really" names, it teaches us more history than school

...If you are going for native names, does it mean that Persia becomes Eranshahr?

I noticed that muslim Israel turns into Filastin (Crusade of Filastin)...and I loved it. Really cool idea to have such culture-specific titles. And Norman england is 'Angléterre'.

Why not rename Persia, that is a great suggestion, i hope that Aasmul will consider implementing it in the next version.

Honestly it makes a lot more sense to me that it should be in either the native language, or Latin / Greek for Byzantium.

It irks me to have English titles everywhere.
I come at it from a roleplaying perspective, and tend to think of English localizations more appropriate because of that. If I were a Norman duke in 1100 who was looking to establish an alliance with someone in northern France, I might order an envoy to go to the court of li Duc de Bretagne, not the Duke of Haùtt-Bertaèyn. That is, I'd refer to other regions in my own tongue, because I'd be a Norman duke and likely wouldn't understand the Breton tongue or most any other language out there except the Frankish spoken in Paris and maybe a smattering of the peasant's Old English off in England if I could be arsed. Since I don't actually speak Anglo-Norman and sine there's no function to change all names to whatever culture you are at the time, I prefer to use English localizations.

I come at it from a roleplaying perspective, and tend to think of English localizations more appropriate because of that. If I were a Norman duke in 1100 who was looking to establish an alliance with someone in northern France, I might order an envoy to go to the court of li Duc de Bretagne, not the Duke of Haùtt-Bertaèyn. That is, I'd refer to other regions in my own tongue, because I'd be a Norman duke and likely wouldn't understand the Breton tongue or most any other language out there except the Frankish spoken in Paris and maybe a smattering of the peasant's Old English off in England if I could be arsed. Since I don't actually speak Anglo-Norman and sine there's no function to change all names to whatever culture you are at the time, I prefer to use English localizations.

This is my thought but I'd also like to add (aside from the fact there should not even be a "Haùtt-Bertaèyn" but just "Bertaèyn") that unless I go wiki every name in the game, I often times don't know what a place is anymore. It was alright when Naples became Neapolis or Austria, Oesterreich. I could figure that out. But, for example, with the most recent Middle East version, I can't even figure out where Jerusalem is. I can tell which province must be it, based on my knowledge of geography, but based on the names I could not tell which holding was Jerusalem.

When you're looking at the map at start, it's very neat. When you're playing the game, it's a problem. This is one of those features that is really cool from a learning/history perspective, but from a gameplay perspective really should be optional.

Why not rename Persia, that is a great suggestion, i hope that Aasmul will consider implementing it in the next version.

Persia is still in queue for a rework; after the current WIP, probably will be the next region.