[Mod] ST: New Horizons: A Stellaris Total Conversion

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
but what about ai management skills with this mod ? as ii know in vanilla game, ai is crap.

I find wars painfully easy to win most of the time. I play exclusively on Grand Admiral and despite the AI bonuses they struggle to keep up fleet power with me. My current playthrough with the klingons, the federation is huge (The Romulans were a founding member of the federation in my playthrough lol). When I went to war with them I had 5 planets, but had equivalent fleet power to the federation which consisted of the Romulans, Earth, Vulcan, Andoria and a handful of minor factions. I was able to push in and just start capping systems. This was around the TOS movie era. Suffered a setback when one of my fleets got caught by 2 of their fleets. I countered by essentially running my fleets together and just hunting theirs down and destroying them. It wasn't hard though. Simple modification of strategy and I just wiped them out and just took systems till I could secure my claims (I didn't take a ton of stuff and took zero planets). Its been years since that war and the federation fleet power is now still pathetic compared to mine (for the record, their economy is overwhelming compared to mine and their tech is superior) they just blow balls at military spending apparently.

As far as smaller individual factions, its not even a competition. The Hunsock are also Huge in my current game and they have literally never been equal to me in fleet power.

On imgur download the image as a file, then you'll have the real image, you can then zoom in and read it. If your looking at it online it might just be a thumbnail of the real image which is a much smaller file and if you zoom in it is super blurry.

As far as empire sprawl goes, it's much more brutal in this mod than in the base game, but there are a few techs to raise it, a very few. You do want to keep in mind though that there are 90 AI's not 20-30, so I think empire sprawl is meant to keep anyone from totally 100% snowballing too early, you can always make vassals and federations though, or just put up with the penalties. Admin cap is much harder to raise in this mod, but empire sprawl actually goes up much much more slowly from population than in vanilla, mouse over it and see what's actually contributing to your problems. Then maybe consider not expanding into weak systems that just aren't worth much. 1system=10population. 1 colony =50 population. So yeah, expanding wide is a bit harder in this mod, but expanding tall is vastly improved. It's designed to try and keep the gamma quandrant from being 100% conquered before you ever learn it exists.

Basically I try to control no more than 10 actual planets. At that point the only territory I will take is the systems without colonized worlds and subjugate inhabited planets.

Something needs to be done about the AI if it can, I get if its just out of your control. But on Grand Admiral this situation is common. i.e. in this case, the federation dwarfs me in size, is beating me in tech and killing me in economy. Yet I've been them in 3 wars with them offering little opposition, because they barely build military ships. On GA they should have bonuses to their fleet capacity as well.

Just in general it seems as if within 100 years every other faction just starts dropping to inferior/pathetic fleet power compared to me and I can pretty much do whatever I want without fear.

upload_2020-4-18_17-54-34.png

Attachments

• upload_2020-4-18_17-55-27.png
    upload_2020-4-18_17-55-27.png
    1,2 MB · Views: 9
Hard crashes.
Almost every game I start inevitably ends in a hard crash I can't pass. i.e. will always crash on the same date.

Crash logs aren't exactly helpful. The logs for the crashes arent consistent (I am not seeing similar log entries at the time of crash on different playthrough). Usually happens in the 2300's. The only thing I have confirmed is it appears to be something an AI faction is building. i.e. I can force the crash ahead of the date it hard crashes if I turn instant build on.

Galaxy size doesn't seem to matter either. The huge map, small alpha beta map, doesn't matter. (Mostly) ruled out an issue specifically with my machine. I have a gaming laptop as well and have loaded the save there and it will still crash on the same date.

Last edited:
Couple of questions as I've just started playing this mod...

1. How do you set a governor on earth? I get an indicator there's an up and coming governor I should look into, so I hire him, fire the old governor and.. I can't find any way to set the new guy as the governor. Am I missing something obvious?

2. How in the heck do you succeed as a United Earth player? The second time the Xindi show up leaves me with a destroyed earth. I can't even get the Enterprise built because I don't have nearly enough alloys, just seems like it happens far too soon in the game. It's probably due to the fact that I'm new to Stellaris in general and don't know how to rush an economy (Every time I try to focus, I run out of something else), so any advice on getting Earth through the Xindi attack in one piece would be greatly appreciated.

Couple of questions as I've just started playing this mod...

1. How do you set a governor on earth? I get an indicator there's an up and coming governor I should look into, so I hire him, fire the old governor and.. I can't find any way to set the new guy as the governor. Am I missing something obvious?

2. How in the heck do you succeed as a United Earth player? The second time the Xindi show up leaves me with a destroyed earth. I can't even get the Enterprise built because I don't have nearly enough alloys, just seems like it happens far too soon in the game. It's probably due to the fact that I'm new to Stellaris in general and don't know how to rush an economy (Every time I try to focus, I run out of something else), so any advice on getting Earth through the Xindi attack in one piece would be greatly appreciated.

1. Firstly, the governor is for a "sector" not just one planet, there can be multiple planets in a single sector all covered by the same governor. So what I would try to do in your case is utilize the left window pane on the left side of the screen, go to "planets and sectors" click it. You should see your earth sector click on the governor icon there and change it.

2. Surviving the second Xindi attack, Im assuming you are a Star Trek fan (Remembering the Xindi storyline from enterprise will help here), so making the right decisions in the Xindi event chain should lead to you getting control of vulcan, andorian, non reptilian Xindi fleets in the Sol system to help fight the second Xindi weapon. (this tends to not be super obvious that they are there and if you dont actively tell them to attack the weapon they may just sit there doing nothing on the outskirts of the sol system).

There is a lot of nuance to stellaris, and like with most paradox games I would advise starting playing a small minor faction, to learn the core game mechanics focusing far less on war and expansion. I was still learning new mechanics I didn't even know were there before 10 playthroughs in. Starting out playing a major in this mod without a background in stellaris can be confusing with the events that are happening all the time too.

i.e. Im not sure you were aware you can upgrade districts (I admittedly, didnt realize this until my second stellaris playthrough). Upgrading districts allows you to get more out of your production buildings. One district provide industry bonuses (mines etc), one provides energy and commercial bonuses, education, administration etc. If you havent expanded alot this allows you to build up your economy and become relatively powerful even if you don't own a lot of territory. There is a limited amount of districts you can build on each planet, so you can choose to "balance" a planet with equal upgrades across the board, or focus it by maxing out districts in one category.

Upgrading districts requires "special resource upkeep". These special resources can be found in systems, i.e. earth starts out with a healthy tick of water and deuterium. You can set up a monthly trade for these resources through the star port building. i.e. it will set up a monthly trade of latinum for the resource automatically (you can build a star port on every planet and set up a different trade for each one). This will undoubtedly be necessary when making a tall empire. This in turn will likely require you to set up a monthly trade for latinum in the main trade screen.

Just try to be very aware of what buildings you are constructing consume in terms of resources and weight the cost/benefit factor for building at that time. i.e. you don't "need" to build a building just because a slot is available on the planet. If you are making a steady resource income and want to stockpile, it might be best not to rock the boat for a little bit.

Personally I tend to focus on just getting massive energy income first. Why? You can always go to the market and buy any other resource you need.

Thanks, I'll try putting your advice to work. :) I've been just trying to keep a double digit income of the major stuff like energy, food and minerals.

I did look at the sector report on the left, but I have a problem somewhere, in that it's always blank:

1588548051764.png

This is with no UI mod, just New Horizons main mod and music. I't been the same with federation, borg and dominion UI mods active as well.

Thanks, I'll try putting your advice to work. :) I've been just trying to keep a double digit income of the major stuff like energy, food and minerals.

I did look at the sector report on the left, but I have a problem somewhere, in that it's always blank:

View attachment 573654

This is with no UI mod, just New Horizons main mod and music. I't been the same with federation, borg and dominion UI mods active as well.

Sorry I cant launch the game now and take an ss. you have to create a sector. i.e. earth etc. is under the "frontier sector" which basically means they havent been sectored and thats why you cant get a governor. But basically, click on earth on the right and in the menu that pops up there will be a small "create sector" button (just hover the mouse over the buttons and you will know which one, should be in the upper center right of the menu that pops up). When the sector is created you will be able to assign a governor.

Hi guys, I've just tried out this awesom mod for the first time and found the experience quite enjoyable. It's such a different experience to the vanilla game!

Unfortunately, I seem to have lost my first run, because I had this Mars uprising event (The 'Demons' storyline), where I had to investigate a special project with a transport ship and an associated admiral.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find out how to build ground units (I've even built a military academy on Mars only for this reason, but maybe too late) or transport ships at a space station (there are non listed).

Do I need to research a special technology for that?
Where can I find the 'recruit' command? (Apparently not on the planet screen like in the vanilla game?)

It migth be too late, if a tech is needed, but an older save might allow me to avoid the loss, if I simply haven't looked at the rigth places.
(And no, I don't want to play as this "Terran Empire" or whatever I was offered to switch to!)

Thanks in advance for all answers! :)

Last edited:
Hi guys, I've just tried out this awesom mod for the first time and found the experience quite enjoyable. It's such a different experience to the vanilla game!

Unfortunately, I seem to have lost my first run, because I had this Mars uprising event (The 'Demons' storyline), where I had to investigate a special project with a transport ship and an associated admiral.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find out how to build ground units (I've even built a military academy on Mars only for this reason, but maybe too late) or transport ships at a space station (there are non listed).

Do I need to research a special technology for that?
Where can I find the 'recruit' command? (Apparently not on the planet screen like in the vanilla game?)

It migth be too late, if a tech is needed, but an older save might allow me to avoid the loss, if I simply haven't looked at the rigth places.
(And no, I don't want to play as this "Terran Empire" or whatever I was offered to switch to!)

Thanks in advance for all answers! :)

It is on the planet screen just like the vanilla game. if you are using one of the UI mods, the "placement" may be a little different but it should be there.

1588767563940.png

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Thanks, TSD!

Well, in fact I am using the appropriate "Fedaration UI" mod (or whatever it is called). Obviously, the game would be actually unplayable without it! ;)

Or - apparently - it seems to be unplayable WITH it? I mean ... I am sure the button has to be somewhere. But for the love of all good, I didn't find it!
Can somebody with this UI mod help out?

As the Federation I find i am locked into migration and research treaties with the 3 founder sectors (Andorian, Vulcan, Tellerite) which costs almost all of my influence, is there any way to end these agreements?

Raises Hand:

1) How does one deal with Empire Sprawl? I found a Tradition that increased administrative capacity, but know things will get nasty again. I haven't figured out how to expand it.

2) Is there a way to zoom in on the Research Tree? When I pull it up it's super tiny and I can't read it.
May not be appropriate for all playstyles, but I have noticed that vassal empires don't count towards your sprawl so that's a way to mitigate/expand around it somewhat.

Hello friends, one question with regard to the mod, I haven't played Stellaris in a while and recently saw that there was a new update released in Steam, earlier this week... is the mod compatible with that release?

I'm playing as the Dominion an after the event where the tholians from the mirror universe comes into yours my ship manager changes all my ships. Now i have tholian ship designs. How i can change them back to more "Dominion like" ships?

Thx and when you need more information just ask please. I have the newest version of Stellaris and this mod.

Attachments

• Stellaris.png
    Stellaris.png
    2,1 MB · Views: 0
I don't know if this is a bug, but since the 1.7 update to the mod, I am no longer able to upgrade the Borg Planetary Node Adjutants. This greatly limits the value of planets since I cannot generate nanites or research from them.

Reactions:
Another bug, as of yesterday's hotfix I guess. Instead of the tech name appearing where it should be, we have the tech description there. Unsubbed and resubbed, no change so I don't know if it's something on my end or not.

Attachments

• 20200521000635_1.jpg
    20200521000635_1.jpg
    393,5 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: